• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Heartland landed well with State of Decay's fans — but it left behind one of the sequel's strengths. Managing a community of survivors, seeing them interact and making choices about whom to prioritize and whom to use as a meat shield, was a fun take on the zombie apocalypse. The sandbox was less linear, and focused, but for many players, their imagination could fill in the gaps.

"We're in a really great position where we've gotten to keep adding players to the game," Richards said. "We're [at] 5 million players, and we're looking to grow."

One thing that isn't expected to change is how State of Decay 2 is capable of surprising players by ramping up the difficulty, a design choice that's likely to gut-punch players by killing their best survivors, or introducing a new set of conditions that pinches a previously well-run base.

While I wasn't as blown away with SoD2 as I was the first game, that's still an incredible achievement!!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Undead Labs.. They've been hiring a lot lately.. probably prepping for their next project.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
State of Decay 1 and 2 are games with excellent ideas buried by tons of jank and bugs. I have enjoyed and suffered many hours of both. State of Decay 3 can be great.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man, i dropped off hard the first time I played this with my friends. Maybe I should ask them if they want to play again.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Gamepass is really the saving grace for Xbox titles. I couldn't see this game doing nearly as well without it. People are way more likely to jump into a 6/10-7/10 game if they already have it due to a subscription service.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They keep neglecting to go all the way on elements that their games already have. Let items take up space by size, a bag of seeds shouldn't take as much space in a trunk as a duffel. Work on horde sizes. Have the different character background types really affect how they play and respond to threats and danger. The game doesn't need to look better and it runs very well on PC, they just need to really take the leap and make it a really sim type game.

Still love it and the first one either way. I'll gladly take more.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They keep neglecting to go all the way on elements that their games already have. Let items take up space by size, a bag of seeds shouldn't take as much space in a trunk as a duffel. Work on horde sizes. Have the different character background types really affect how they play and respond to threats and danger. The game doesn't need to look better and it runs very well on PC, they just need to really take the leap and make it a really sim type game.

Still love it and the first one either way. I'll gladly take more.

The looks of the game didn't bother me much, but the animations and the jank. Oof. Haha.

Agree that they should take the sim part even further. Hope they'll add a lot more depth (also in game settings, variable sim options) for their next title. They've really got something going with this game.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The looks of the game didn't bother me much, but the animations and the jank. Oof. Haha.

Agree that they should take the sim part even further. Hope they'll add a lot more depth (also in game settings, variable sim options) for their next title. They've really got something going with this game.

Hell I don't even mind the animation and I embrace the jank, but when they are taking out functionalities that were already present previously it feels weird.

Like in the first you would actually place your bags in the beds of the trunk, taking away a spot for a survivor. I don't like that you can't tag bags for pickup by other peeps either. Like, that was a pretty prime function of the survivors, that they actually did some thing for your camp besides call you to let you know that they sneezed on a bag of chips so they threw all your food out.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they get to do that MMO at some point and move past this janky open world zombie formula they've done for two games now.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Let's hope that SoD3 is the proper AAA State of Decay game we've been hoping for after they misled us into thinking SoD2 would be.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty excited to see what they'll come out with next. I think most of the issues I had with their first and second titles are likely related to the budget and size of the team behind them, and the fact that the scope of the title was likely beyond what they could realistically pull off without concessions or jank.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I need to try this out again. I played it the day it came out, but haven't touched it since. It seems like the dev's have made a lot of changes and improvements to the game, so maybe I'll boot it up again in the next few days and see if I can actually get into it this time.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Hell I don't even mind the animation and I embrace the jank, but when they are taking out functionalities that were already present previously it feels weird.

Like in the first you would actually place your bags in the beds of the trunk, taking away a spot for a survivor. I don't like that you can't tag bags for pickup by other peeps either. Like, that was a pretty prime function of the survivors, that they actually did some thing for your camp besides call you to let you know that they sneezed on a bag of chips so they threw all your food out.

You're wrong on the truck thing. The Rucks in Trucks update added the ability to add things in trunks. it never took the spot for passengers though. you could have a full trunk space truck with full passengers.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're wrong on the truck thing. The Rucks in Trucks update added the ability to add things in trunks. it never took the spot for passengers though. you could have a full trunk space truck with full passengers.

Sorry I meant in the truck bed. Like they actually swing the ruck over and place it in the bed physically.

EDIT: Just reinstalled SoD on Steam and you can't put rucks in the pickup bed, I mean you have the option to select Vehicle Storage so functionally it is exactly the same, but I could swear that you could actually place them. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, though.

Last edited:
Man, i dropped off hard the first time I played this with my friends. Maybe I should ask them if they want to play again.

The same thing happened with me. We had a brief moment of fun but it just didn't click the way it should have. I have high hopes for the sequel, but I don't think they can do enough with the current game to make me want to play it again.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I definitely had a great time with both titles. When you look past the buggy layer, there's definitely a great game there. Here's to hoping they knock it out of the park with 3.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If State of Decay 3 is actually AAA I can see it exploding. What I played of 2 at launch, that extra level of polish, scope, and detail in game design would seriously push the franchise to incredible heights. It's all there, just needs more money.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
good on them. Hope they really push the envelope on SoD3 though, SoD2 wasn't quite the upgrade over 1 that I wanted.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
SOD2 is a great game, I got game pass a couple month ago and it is easily the game I have spent the most time with. There is just so much to do.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
A very solid game, it only lacks polish. Hopefully SoD3 is AAA or at least more refined.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass is really the saving grace for Xbox titles. I couldn't see this game doing nearly as well without it. People are way more likely to jump into a 6/10-7/10 game if they already have it due to a subscription service.
State of decay is much more popular than people on era think, the first one sold between 2-3 milion copies and it wasn't on game pass.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
SOD2 is my favorite zombie apocalypse game ever. If they can polish it with Microsoft money then whatevers next should be great

Jun 22, 2018
It's not a perfect game, but I've had a lot of fun with it. I wish Heartland took place on the new maps, though. The story driven survival was my favorite part of the first game, and it was disappointing that the addition of story stuff was tied to the old map that I've already played a ton of.

Overall, it's a fun game and I'm glad I played it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Happy for their success. SoD 1 was a really good foundation and I felt like 2 didn't build upon that quite as much as I'd hoped, so here's hoping that a sequel is able to surprise me.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
State of decay is much more popular than people on era think, the first one sold between 2-3 milion copies and it wasn't on game pass.
Yeah it's actually a somewhat big franchise. CD3 bombing shows that people really do like SoD as a game and not because it's just on GamePass.

Now that they have Microsoft money behind them I think the next game is gonna be huge hit for them.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So...Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 proved to be successful on Gamepass.

Crackdown 3 is dead.

SoD 2 actually charted at NPD despite being a lower priced title (NPD is revenue based). The original didn't do too bad either. Zombie games still have some draw it seems.

Side note, SoD2 hit over 2m players in 2 weeks, so it managed the additional 3m in around 1 year and 3 months. Not sure what percentage of that 5m would be actual sales.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I picked the game day one and didn't really play much of it, but didn't disliked it. I started playing it again just like a week ago and I've already put in close to 40 hours. It's a fun game.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna retry it, didn't really get into it at first, like Horizon Zero Dawn, but replayed it out of my backlog and enjoyed it...is Heartland a story mode?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sequel looks and play worse than the original, somehow. I hope they take the time with their next project and start from scratch.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Literally started playing it again like 2 days ago and I still have the feeling that stuff still feels like a missed opportunity.

The coop was easily the biggest disappointment for me with the lack of any sort of persistence. That and the incredibly annoying settlement missions that are constantly thrown at you every second.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I knew it's been improved but haven't really played it since the 1st cpl months. I liked it then but got distracted and needed disk space.
Guess it's time to dust it off.
So basically like the scavengin and fixing and eating and stuff like that?
Yeah. You have to manage gas as well. That can get tricky if you're trying to get around fast.