• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, now I want a State of Decay series lol. I love me some quality zombie fiction.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
These a really well done! Looks like Microsoft is finally getting some marketing behind some of their non-Holiday releases.

NovaXz

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
New York, New York
Those are exceptionally well done. My problem is that the mood and tone of the videos doesn't seem to be that of the game. I actually wish the emotional impact and tone of these promo pieces was prevalent in the actual game.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, those are really good. Like legitimately well acted, I'd watch a whole youtube series of this stuff.

When you realise one camp raided the other, fuuuuuck. Rip Lynn/Lin :*(

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Those are exceptionally well done. My problem is that the mood and tone of the videos doesn't seem to be that of the game. I actually wish the emotional impact and tone of these promo pieces was prevalent in the actual game.

Fair point. Reminds me of the now-infamous Dead Island trailers.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
My most anticipated game of 2018. My online friends and I love realistic shooters and zombies.

Hoping for some tower-defense stuff with the bases. I want to be able to build armed towers that blow away zombies automatically.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Not excited for the game since I know it's nothing like that emotionally, but that ad was pretty good.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I was just thinking about that earlier, when I first saw these. I'm not too crazy about them, but they're rather all right. However, I really, really wish that Microsoft would stop advertising their games with basically misleading campaigns. I guess it all started with the success of the Mad World ad that everyone vent gaga over, and it continued with the Halo 3's Believe campaign. Halo 5 was the worst offender so far. Not only was there the Hunt the Truth series (which was otherwise wonderful, but completely unrelated to the game's actual plot and themes), but the whole campaign was emphasizing the conflict between Chief and Locke, and in the end you could feel very little of that in the actual game. Then there was the Locke armor pre-order trailer that showed Locke as this incredibly agile and explosive fighter, but that was also at odds with how he played in the game. Then the incredible introductory Team Osiris cutscene that the gameplay could never live up to, juxtaposed with the Blue Team introductory cutscene in order to demonstrate the stark difference in their approaches - but in the game they played exactly the same, minus the Locke's barely useful scanning device. It was a master class in mismanaging expectations.

Sea of Thieves also saw a bit of that, with the E3 2016 cinematic trailer that made the game look more like a traditional adventure, and featured some things that were not really there at launch (hints at undersea mermen encounters, for instance). The Phantom Dust reboot trailer? What about ReCore and its announcement CG trailer? And even the later marketing material (including the game's cover art) that featured a Corebot that was only added to the game a year later? And now this. I love State of Decay, and it's definitely a game series that takes itself seriously, but the tone of these videos seems to be at odds with what I've experienced in the first game, and what I've seen in all the video demonstrations of the second one. I wish that Microsoft's marketing team would just stop doing that. The actual games they put out are not bad at all - I'm finding many of them great, in fact - but they build up these strangely unfitting expectations, and then people end up being disappointed.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I like them. I just pre-ordered the ultimate edition and it started downloading. Playing 4 days earlier is a really good bonus for pre-ordering.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

I don't agree with this. On State of Decay there is actual encounters with other groups of survivors, that you can help, ignore, or fight againstto compete for resources. All NPC have their own background stories and missions, that you can find out or completely lose if you chose to kill and/or rob those people. There won't be emotional cutscenes trying to connect you with the members of your group, but you can in fact find you in a situation where you can need to figure out what will you risk, what will you do, in order not to lose one of your group's members.

The tone of (at least the first) State of Decay is already dark, melancholic and crude, but in it's own way.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game will be as good as these trailers. Microsoft needs good exclusives too. But after the Sea of Thieves bullshit I remain sceptical.

Last edited:

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I watched a recent gameplay preview in which the player ran around in aracade fashion beating zombies with a wrench, while they waited for someone to search the place for music lyrics, iirc. The game didn't look like it took it seriously at all and I couldn't help but think that I wouldn't be able to get too invested because it evoked the comparison of Dead Rising when the series took the "wrong" turn. The ads are well done though.

EDIT: This gameplay

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with this. On State of Decay there is actual encounters with other groups of survivors, that you can help, ignore, or fight againstto compete for resources. All NPC have their own background stories and missions, that you can find out or completely lose if you chose to kill and/or rob those people. There won't be emotional cutscenes trying to connect you with the members of your group, but you can in fact find you in a situation where you can need to figure out what will you risk, what will you do, in order not to lose one of your group's members.

The tone of (at least the first) State of Decay is already dark, melancholic and crude, but in it's own way.
There were other survivor groups in SoD? I remember the military group, but full fledged survivor based like your's?

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA

Have you played through and beat the first? The mood and tone is like this in the game. From the dialogue with characters to the notes you find. The music when there is some. This seems to take it one step further for SOD2.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Not groups as big as yours, but there are small groups of 2-3 people, that you can help or not. Maybe there will be bigger groups of NPC on SoD2.

Outside Xbox gameplay anf that silly IGN video both had them finding another large group of survivors. One tried to help, other killed them for stuff

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
These are pretty great, too bad they're not getting a lot of attention. Hyped for the game.

Honestly, these live action trailers and mini-films never cut it for me, especially when it doesn't represent the game in any manner. Sounds like they're marketing to a crowd that won't play these games and maybe intice them. I thought everyone hated live action promos.

I had similar feeling for God of War live action trailers, however it was still representative of the main game, yet still irrelevant to me.

Give me gameplay promos, or atleast infuse gameplay footage within these live action short films.

Do they have latest gameplay trailer/promos that anyone can sell me the game with (please ignore let's play or preview videos by individuals/websites, I don't want someone excitedly selling a game with their commentary)? The game looks amazing and plays amazing. I just hope they highlight more variety in gameplay/scenario.

NovaXz

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
New York, New York
Have you played through and beat the first? The mood and tone is like this in the game. From the dialogue with characters to the notes you find. The music when there is some. This seems to take it one step further for SOD2.

I have played through the first game numerous times, and I don't agree. The tone and mood of the trailers is very dark. The game does focus on the survival aspects, but I don't believe that they do a good job of getting you emotionally invested in the characters and the group. I hope I am wrong for SoD 2 (which I am 100% playing regardless), but based on numerous gameplay videos, it just doesn't seem to be the case.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
I have played through the first game numerous times, and I don't agree. The tone and mood of the trailers is very dark. The game does focus on the survival aspects, but I don't believe that they do a good job of getting you emotionally invested in the characters and the group. I hope I am wrong for SoD 2 (which I am 100% playing regardless), but based on numerous gameplay videos, it just doesn't seem to be the case.
Well these trailers are basically "A day in the life of a State of Decay" character except these are more elaborate than the how the game usually handles it.

In the first SoD, character's personalities were defined by character stats & interaction with each other to keep morale up. Would be nice if SoD2 had a similar vlog style format for each character for something a little deeper but I think these trailers dramatize the desperation angle pretty well.