VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a fantastic game with bugs.

If Brad likes it, I know it'll be great.

Basically like Bethesda GS games :P

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm buying the game and even have 2 days off for it but man Microsoft can't create a first party gem. I'm sure me and my wife will have a good time though all things considered.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku:
"Impossibly, we were actually going to get through this with no casualties.

Then my HUD completely disappeared. I couldn't speak to the stranger, I couldn't switch control to my follower, I couldn't reap my rewards. I was forced to quit to the main menu and restart, fingers crossed that I'd spawn back at the end of this fight with all the rewards intact, hoping that I hadn't just used up all that precious ammo in vain. When I got back in the game, my characters were in the same spot but the NPC we'd helped was gone, and he took all the potential rewards with him."

That would be a mountain of frustration. Maybe they should've done an extended beta.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 9/10 for buggy Game has no sense.

With that reasoning, half of Japanese games should be getting 5s because they are far jankier than most triple-A western productions. It's down to reviewers' personal tastes and experiences to decide how decisive those bugs were on the amount of enjoyment they got from the game. GTA: San Andreas erased my 40+ hours save once and has a lot of bugs, I still think it's one of the best games ever made and I'd rate it close to 10.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is absurd. There is no guarantee that any of the bugs will be fixed, so for what reason should reviewers assume that in good faith?

Depends how jaded a reviewer is and if they see no hope of patches, updates etc. If they firmly belive nothing will ever change, then feel free to mark it down. Personally, I like to stay positive but reviewers are just a random person's experience of a game, guess it depends on how many crazy world ending bugs happen.

OP
OP
Napalm_Frank

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I would expect the reviewer to review the game based on its merits and not from other peoples experiences.
But then again reviewers job is to inform on some of these things. Let's say there is a very common save breaking bug but you don't happen to encounter it. Should you talk about it in the review? Should it affect the score?

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Most of the reviewers seem to be praising the base building and the community management, which is the only thing i'm interested in.
7 is a good average. I didn't expect it to be worse, didn't expect it to be better.

It's a sequel to a XBL arcade game and i'm glad it's just a pure sequel. 22nd of May can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame about the bugs, the first one to me was basically Busywork: The Game where I was constantly not able to do the thing I wanted to do because person x needs help or thing y needs attention. Was hoping this one would deliver a better balance but the bugs sound terrible.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With that reasoning, half of Japanese games should be getting 5s because they are far jankier than most triple-A western productions. It's down to reviewers' personal tastes and experiences to decide how decisive those bugs were on the amount of enjoyment they got from the game. GTA: San Andreas erased my 40+ hours save once and has a lot of bugs, I still think it's one of the best games ever made and I'd rate it close to 10.

Like what exactly?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I've not seen too many disasters from Twitch gameplay either. Clunky but not as broken as some reviews.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
But then again reviewers job is to inform on some of these things. Let's say there is a very common save breaking bug but you don't happen to encounter it. Should you talk about it in the review? Should it affect the score?

I think there's no harm in mentioning it (especially if it involves things like save game bugs) but if the reviewer didn't experience it personally then I don't think it should be considered in their final score.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Depends how jaded a reviewer is and if they see no hope of patches, updates etc. If they firmly belive nothing will ever change, then feel free to mark it down. Personally, I like to stay positive but reviewers are just a random person's experience of a game, guess it depends on how many crazy world ending bugs happen.
But they only have their own experiences to go off of. How are they supposed to review an experience they did not have? It's not about positivity, it's about the reality of their playtime.

I genuinely find this line of reasoning incredibly confusing.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The most a reviewer can do is mention them but if it personally didn't happen in your game then it shouldn't affect the score.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
tbh this feels like a recore situation to me. a game that should have been more than it turned out to be. i'll wait to see if they fix the issues.

Not comparable, completely different dev teams , and circumstances.

Back on topic hopefully the team can focus on fixing bugs , they definitely have an interesting game that some really do seem to enjoy despite technical shortcomings. Unfortunately those same shortcomings are a real blocker for others.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
So it's a good but buggy game?

That sounds fine to me. MS's gets some slightly deserved flack but at least they're producing unique and interesting titles.

Oct 26, 2017
imagine the state crackdown 3 is in, that this and SOT were released without extra time but they keep delaying the crackdown 3 .

Sony just delayed the days gone by almost a year when few elements needed more polish like transition from gameplay to cut scenes .

I dont know if Crackdown was really suffering from bugs but latest we've heard on it is that the delay did a lot of good.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Can you substantiate your statement? No.
Please don't make statements that you can't back up with evidence, especially when you didn't need to make statement to make your point.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems really weird to review a game and mark it down on things that can be fixed by patches etc. I only played a small chunk of SoD but since SoD2 appears on Gamepass, I will give it a shot.

Oh please. I expect websites to review games based on what they are at the time of review, not what they might be like several months down the line.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you substantiate your statement?

Final Fantasy XV launched with all kinds of issues. Bayonetta ran like shit on PS3 and gad some hit detection issues back then that I remember (not played the Wii U/Switch re-release yet). The recent Xbox One port of Ys Origin had very janky and uncomfortable menus. The Warriors games and their spin-offs are often a technical mess, in particular Bladestorm on X1 would dip below 10fps during the tutorial. From the top of my head, and I don't even play many Japanese games outside of Nintendo stuff like Mario Kart.

Games can definitely be good regardless of the technical issues. Bethesda's RPGs are like the poster boys of this concept. Implying a 9 can't be given to a game with technical issues, that the specific reviewer may not even have encountered besides a couple framerate drops or hit detection troubles, is kinda absurd.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when some people were saying it's a good thing they cancelled scalebound because it saved them from playing a potentially bad game.

Going by that logic it's not the only thing they should have cancelled.

Exactly, it's funny these people got the games they deserve after all.

About State of Decay i saw this coming years ago. Original game never got it's problems fixed even after the re-release, so don't expect anything different here.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Good but buggy, 9 out of 10"

Gaming journalism in 2018.

And people wonder why developers release broken games to the public.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I see reviews mentioning it feels like a budget title. Well... it is? It costs 30$, it's basically an indie game, expecting GTA-esque polish from it seems odd.
There's a lot of room between really buggy and GTA-esque polish and plenty of budget games have plenty of polish (Hellblade, Yakuza 0, billions of indie games) so I don't think they deserve a pass just because of that, they have MS backing them too, so far more than most other budget games.
Hopefully they can fix it up though, as the first had a lot of charm once you got past the clunkyness.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when some people were saying it's a good thing they cancelled scalebound because it saved them from playing a potentially bad game.

Going by that logic it's not the only thing they should have cancelled.
This is getting ok reviews so let's slow down with these types of posts.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Final Fantasy XV launched with all kinds of issues. Bayonetta ran like shit on PS3 and gad some hit detection issues back then that I remember (not played the Wii U/Switch re-release yet). The recent Xbox One port of Ys Origin had very janky and uncomfortable menus. The Warriors games and their spin-offs are often a technical mess, in particular Bladestorm on X1 would dip below 10fps during the tutorial. From the top of my head, and I don't even play many Japanese games outside of Nintendo stuff like Mario Kart.

Games can definitely be good regardless of the technical issues. Bethesda's RPGs are like the poster boys of this concept. Implying a 9 can't be given to a game with technical issues, that the specific reviewer may not even have encountered besides a couple framerate drops or hit detection troubles, is kinda absurd.
Fallout 3 have a +90 metascore, and damn that was janky.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really wonder why there are 85/100 reviews if the game is so bugged as it is described in the Eurogamer review...games should be judged on their "now status" not "after patches in a few months it will be great"
a lot of people disagree with that *shrug*

not me, necessarily, but it's not a black and white issue

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of room between really buggy and GTA-esque polish and plenty of budget games have plenty of polish (Hellblade, Yakuza 0, billions of indie games) so I don't think they deserve a pass just because of that, they have MS backing them too, so far more than most other budget games.
Hopefully they can fix it up though, as the first had a lot of charm once you got past the clunkyness.

I agree with this, budget can't be a catch-all excuse for all technical issues. But certain reviews seemed surprised this feels like it's a budget title. It is a budget title, though. But I liked the first game enough despite its jank to be up for this sequel, and with the fact it's in Game Pass, a service I would have got even without State Of Decay 2, if it ends up being too buggy for me to enjoy it I wouldn't have wasted money on it.

Oct 27, 2017

Can we not do that thing where people attack Japanese games with absurd blanket comments like these in order to defend underwhelming Western productions?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Some reviewers simply don't encounter bugs.

Some reviewers encounter a ton of bugs.

Some reviewers like the game so much that a bunch of bugs don't detract from their enjoyment.

We're going to see all of those types of reviewers in these reviews.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Fallout 3 have a +90 metascore, and damn that was janky.
Thats just Bethesda games.

They're all incredibly broken yet everyone falls over themselves.

In the end, the majority of reviews seems to have had an ok to good time, some even great which to me is all that matters.
Having played the first game, it was easy to know what to expect from a sequel as they focus more on the mechanics than other areas which is where the majority of the praise come from.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this support uncapped framerates and gsync/freesync? How is KB&M support?

Reviews are as expected and I'm interested, for 30€. Just hesitant about the quality of the of port and the store stuff.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Well, not excusing a buggy mess but at least they can be fixed eventually.

The concept of SoD is solid and as it's on Game Pass I can try it risk free but it's sad to see such a level of bugs present as it'll potentially kill off sales.

Surely the release date wasn't so important as to release in such a state?

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

FFXV had framepacing issues on PS4 but it was not buggy. I couldn't find articles mentioned these issues you stated it had. However you haven't provided evidence to backup your statement. Not only was it hyperbole you yourself argued against the premise. I never had a problem with the second half of the statement but the first.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
imagine the state crackdown 3 is in, that this and SOT were released without extra time but they keep delaying the crackdown 3 .

Sony just delayed the days gone by almost a year when few elements needed more polish like transition from gameplay to cut scenes .
And yet Forza 7 was released in a far more complete state than Gran Turismo Sport. One game doesn't have much bearing on the quality of another, but I agree that SoD2 shouldn't have been released in this state. Crackdown 3 is clearly a much bigger project than this though.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Or Skyrim, for that matter - the re-releases on the billionth console still have bugs from back in the day, yet most people still claim it's one of the best games ever made. It was a really weird statement that a buggy game can't get a 9.
Any game can get a 9 or a 10 if it gives that kind of experience to the reviewer. If the game is so good that any bug matters to you, score the game what you like,.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with this, budget can't be a catch-all excuse for all technical issues. But certain reviews seemed surprised this feels like it's a budget title. It is a budget title, though. But I liked the first game enough despite its jank to be up for this sequel, and with the fact it's in Game Pass, a service I would have got even without State Of Decay 2, if it ends up being too buggy for me to enjoy it I wouldn't have wasted money on it.
I'm sure there'll still be plenty to enjoy despite the bugs, the first game was incredibly addictive despite having a lot of issues and it seems 2 is better in everyway, outside of bugs. I'll probably get to it later this year, as I plan to finally get round to my XB1 backlog (Sunset Overdrive mostly), so hoping it's all fixed up by then.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
And yet Forza 7 was released in a far more complete state than Gran Turismo Sport. One game doesn't have much bearing on the quality of another, but I agree that SoD2 shouldn't have been released in this state. Crackdown 3 is clearly a much bigger project than this though.
I know what your trying to say but that statement is wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
I know Metacritic scores should not be the most important thing to decide to buy or not a game, but the total average of scores are mostly correct.

Some reviewers won't be affected by bugs as much as others and that's why we have the 8,5 or even 9 scores but in the end the Metacritic average gives the correct idea of a game quality.

In this case a 7.2 seems fitting while describing a good game but really buggy.