Status
Not open for further replies.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie...i think it kind of sucks the hype train has not started going for this. Even if ppl end up expecting more and result in meltdowns etc..it's part of the fun

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie...i think it kind of sucks the hype train has not started going for this. Even if ppl end up expecting more and result in meltdowns etc..it's part of the fun

People are just being cautious since this is the first one. If it surpasses peoples expectations (like if even one of the big 3 are there in some form) then expect the following SoP's hype to go through the roof.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is gonna be a bigger deal than people expect for some reason.

Like I wasn't expecting direct level hype but still.... one or two posts in this thread every 30 minutes is way too low for what this could potentially be

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I feel like this is gonna be a bigger deal than people expect for some reason.

Like I wasn't expecting direct level hype but still.... one or two posts in this thread every 30 minutes is way too low for what this could potentially be
We kind of know what to expect with Directs, which is why there's intense levels of hype whenever it's announced.

I think PlayStation need to use this first episode to "prove themselves" if I'm making sense. It remains to be seen if we'll be getting any big announcements or huge surprises from these shows which is why they gotta come out with a banger for this. A Concrete Genie or MedEvil release date won't cut it for most people (although a MedEvil release date would be enough to make me happy tbh).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

It feels like Era shifted most of its hype for direct type events over to Ninty...that level of fervor I just won't ever get unless its for something like BOTW 2. Kinda surprised there isn't more hype for this considering the strong Sony fan base here (of which I include myself). Maybe its due to it being pretty quiet on the Sony front for so long but then again you'd think that'd draw more people since we're thirsty for news. I almost forgot this was a thing until seeing the thread bumped again. Glad I did, don't want to miss out on any announcements.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I never got why people are so obsessive over pacing of a show.
pacing is very important for a lot of people including me, it is a huge part of why sony's E3 2016 is considered one of the best E3's of all time. it helps make even a show with mostly lackluster content a good one, or bring down the quality of a show with high level of content (see E3 2018), i dont want to see sid shuman talk with a group of people in the middle of this show, what i want to see is game trailer after game trailer after game trailer.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
pacing is very important for a lot of people including me, it is a huge part of why sony's E3 2016 is considered one of the best E3's of all time. it helps make even a show with mostly lackluster content a good one, or bring down the quality of a show with high level of content (see E3 2018), i dont want to see sid shuman talk with a group of people in the middle of this show, what i want to see is game trailer after game trailer after game trailer.

Microsoft's E3 last year was a notable example of great pacing in a show. Even when what was on screen wasn't exactly riveting, they kept things chugging along at such a consistent rate and with enough variety in content that it didn't drag. Sony should analyse the structure of that presser closely the next time they prepare their own live event.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft's E3 last year was a notable example of great pacing in a show. Even when what was on screen wasn't exactly riveting, they kept things chugging along at such a consistent rate and with enough variety in content that it didn't drag. Sony should analyse the structure of that presser closely the next time they prepare their own live event.
I mean that's exactly what they did at 2016 but they like to change things every year.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
or you know, just use the format of E3 2016 again, because that worked.
but yea i agree, MS's last E3 was great.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
he was talking about the pacing of the content, not the content itself. you dont need to have megatons every 3 seconds for a good pacing.
Other than the tlou2 segment the pacing was fine. I suspected the pacing tomorrow to be terrible since it'll be full of stuff most people wouldn't care about, and the big stuff most people care about far between.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I feel that Sony has cultivated a mindset of people only expecting the "big" stuff which isn't really fair to the smaller yet still pretty cool "smaller" stuff. Obviously when Zhuge said don't expect much, he meant the "Big 3. But is Sony just the "Go Big or Go Home" company to everyone now?

It just irritates me a bit and Sony needs to do something to help change that perspective. Even when someone tries to criticize their game output nowadays, they always bring up the most marketed stuff being "3rd person samey" without knowing the full scope, or choose not to care.

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
State of Play isn't a 90 minute E3 conference. If they had game trailer after game trailer tomorrow their show will be over after 9 minutes. Expect a mix of Direct and XB Inside. They will talk during the SoP showcase.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Hope this is me after this stream:

giphy.gif

and not this:

Lh0.gif
You:

HighShamefulCaribou-small.gif

tenor.gif

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I mean that's exactly what they did at 2016 but they like to change things every year.

Admittedly my memory's a bit hazy, but I recall Microsoft's show alternating between different things more in comparison to Sony '16, which was essentially a succession of trailers one after the other, punctuated by a couple of brief appearances by Layden.

or you know, just use the format of E3 2016 again, because that worked.
but yea i agree, MS's last E3 was great.

E3 2017 was pretty much the same format as '16, but with an orchestra swapped out for some weird stage decoration gimmick, and that show was largely berated. Whether that was mainly because the same formula wasn't as effective the second time around or that the selection of gaming showcases just wasn't as good is up for discussion, but I'd like to see a bit more variety in the next live event. For instance, have some devs up on stage to talk (briefly!) about the new game they're about to show, a live gameplay demonstration, and show the world that you give a shit about indie games again. The Adam Boyes era had some meandering conferences that could've done with some tightening up, but he and the rest of the team did a great job of constantly switching things up.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that Sony has cultivated a mindset of people only expecting the "big" stuff which isn't really fair to the smaller yet still pretty cool "smaller" stuff. Obviously when Zhuge said don't expect much, he meant the "Big 3. But is Sony just the "Go Big or Go Home" company to everyone now?

It just irritates me a bit and Sony needs to do something to help change that perspective. Even when someone tries to criticize their game output nowadays, they always bring up the most marketed stuff being "3rd person samey" without knowing the full scope, or choose not to care.
Yep, I definitely agree. These SoP showings should hopefully rectify that somewhat. The big AAA games get the spotlight at the press conferences and the smaller games can get the spotlight with SoP.

Sony acknowledged the expectations folk have for their press conferences, so they decided to not have an E3 presser since they don't have nearly enough to meet expectations. However, they still have a bunch of content to speak on. This is the time to really showcase what else they have. It probably won't matter for the "lol 3rd person" warring (certain games don't count in order to keep the narrative going), but I think it will go a long way regardless. It helps keep Sony's stuff in the talks through the year as they prep for a bigger show.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else looking to enjoy the show for whatever it is? I'm getting a familiar vibe that people are purposely overhyping this to be disappointed and complain like Sony promised Us something big.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they are going to actually talk about PSN name changes. They said "early 2019" and we're getting closer to mid-2019 and we haven't heard a damn word about the feature this year. Beta has been finished since last year I believe?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Is anyone else looking to enjoy the show for whatever it is? I'm getting a familiar vibe that people are purposely overhyping this to be disappointed and complain like Sony promised Us something big.
Zhuge already tempered our expectations, if they come out disappointed that's their own fault
My only hope is that the pacing and presentation is good and that there are a couple of neat announcements/trailers

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not expecting anything big but I'll be happy with some nice new indie game announcements and a game or 2 finally coming to PS4 like the new Katamari.

Status
Not open for further replies.