• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
California state workers are set to suit up and return to Sacramento offices at least two days per week starting June 17.

Gov. Gavin Newsom's office sent a letter to state employees this week, which said the policy is in response to the inconsistency in hybrid work approaches across agencies, but state workers want to keep working from home.

"State workers are saying no," said Irene Green, vice president for bargaining at the Service Employees International Union (SEIU 1000) that represents state workers. "They are willing and ready to fight this."

California state workers want a better answer than business to bring them back to the office.

"We shouldn't be expected to go downtown and spend money just to bail out Mayor Steinberg," another state worker said.

More:
www.cbsnews.com

State workers take stand against new California hybrid work policy

California state workers are set to suit up and return to Sacramento offices at least two days per week starting June 17.

Really pro-worker and pro-climate move from Newsom here. /s

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sacramento employees: we will fight this!

Everybody else in the state at regional locations: WE NEVER LEFT 😭

But I'm glad they will fight this. From my understanding there has been a huge exodus of staff leaving state service over this because they can get paid way better at federal, local government, and private sector jobs or find telework options.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
Sacramento employees: we will fight this!

Everybody else in the state at regional locations: WE NEVER LEFT 😭

But I'm glad they will fight this. From my understanding there has been a huge exodus of staff leaving state service over this because they can get paid way better at federal, local government, and private sector jobs or find telework options.
One question I do have is who is staffing the various public facing offices that other folks need to go to in-person if they need something? Is that the people at the regional locations you talked about?

People should be able to work from home, 100%. If it comes at the expense of regular citizens not being able to get their own work or essential tasks done in good time, however, that's an issue.

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
They're in for a fight, and I don't know state workers function when it comes to remote work, but they'll have be prepared to put it on the line. I'm my experience corporate institutions that kept hybrid did so because they were afraid of the brain drain happening from people just straight up quitting.

I wish them all the luck in the world.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
One question I do have is who is staffing the various public facing offices that other folks need to go to in-person if they need something? Is that the people at the regional locations you talked about?

People should be able to work from home, 100%. If it comes at the expense of regular citizens not being able to get their own work or essential tasks done in good time, however, that's an issue.

This is a fair question. Especially for state government.

Because the thing is, some of these positions, especially in local/regional offices have to be manned. Oftentimes by law.

So from my experience, whenever I see these stories about employees fighting for WFH, I can't help but think That sounds great...but which employees? And will there be any sort of compensation for the employees that won't have that option?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I am prefacing this to note every department is different.

Public facing offices during the early days of the pandemic they were on a rotational system if possible. They have all mostly have returned OR never left at all. It also depended on the department.

In the health care facilities and corrections, they never left of course.

In a facility that wasn't public facing but perhaps had more demanding work that could only be completed in office due to any number of reasons, they generally were in office with telework options or no telework at all.

But again, it varied between departments and the tasks being done.

And of course if they were administrative staff vs any other sort of job. Or departments that restructured and divested property…

It's honestly hard to answer due to departments having their own implementation of telework and circumstances.

But I will say most of Sacramento was working at home if they weren't public facing. Most only needed to go into the office twice a month, if even that. This is why they are pushing back so hard. You'll find staff away from Sacramento aren't as shocked by the return to work mandate.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
This isn't exclusive to California. I know multiple state employees here in Illinois that are fighting with their union reps for the exact same thing.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
I am prefacing this to note every department is different.

Public facing offices during the early days of the pandemic they were on a rotational system if possible. They have all mostly have returned OR never left at all. It also depended on the department.

In the health care facilities and corrections, they never left of course.

In a facility that wasn't public facing but perhaps had more demanding work that could only be completed in office due to any number of reasons, they generally were in office with telework options or no telework at all.

But again, it varied between departments and the tasks being done.

And of course if they were administrative staff vs any other sort of job. Or departments that restructured and divested property…

It's honestly hard to answer due to departments having their own implementation of telework and circumstances.

But I will say most of Sacramento was working at home if they weren't public facing. Most only needed to go into the office twice a month, if even that. This is why they are pushing back so hard. You'll find staff away from Sacramento aren't as shocked by the return to work mandate.
I see. Thanks for the info. My thoughts were on hypotheticals about people who have permits they need to get or paperwork they need filled out at a government office, but an office being staffed by a skeleton crew impedes their ability to get things done. I can see now that people are/were probably not being held up by delays.

Oct 25, 2017
And will there be any sort of compensation for the employees that won't have that option?

The answer to your question is no. At least when talking about federal jobs, but the states generally model their pay grades and titles off of the federal example, so I feel pretty confident in my answer.

Speaking from my personal experience, there are federal jobs that are the exact same title, pay grade, and job series, but some are located at a field office (which is public facing) versus others that are at regional centers. The vast majority of the employees at the regional centers are eligible for WFH whereas the employees in the field office despite having nearly identical duties, the fact that part of their their duties are public facing ones they cannot WFH.

So short of coming up with a new job title, pay grade structure and moving all existing field office workers to it, they won't see a penny of compensation over the regional office employees.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Because the thing is, some of these positions, especially in local/regional offices have to be manned. Oftentimes by law.

So from my experience, whenever I see these stories about employees fighting for WFH, I can't help but think That sounds great...but which employees? And will there be any sort of compensation for the employees that won't have that option?
Staff already receive a telework stipend of sorts. Full/mostly remote get $50 per month and those who are mostly office get $25 per month. (This is SEIU Local 1000 and a number of associated/excluded btw)

The State was planning to revisit this stipend due to the budget but I do not believe they will anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to your question is no. At least when talking about federal jobs, but the states generally model their pay grades and titles off of the federal example, so I feel pretty confident in my answer.

Speaking from my personal experience, there are federal jobs that are the exact same title, pay grade, and job series, but some are located at a field office (which is public facing) versus others that are at regional centers. The vast majority of the employees at the regional centers are eligible for WFH whereas the employees in the field office despite having nearly identical duties, the fact that part of their their duties are public facing ones they cannot WFH.

So short of coming up with a new job title, pay grade structure and moving all existing field office workers to it, they won't see a penny of compensation over the regional office employees.

Staff already receive a telework stipend of sorts. Full/mostly remote get $50 per month and those who are mostly office get $25 per month. (This is SEIU Local 1000 and a number of associated/excluded btw)

The State was planning to revisit this stipend due to the budget but I do not believe they will anymore.

Wow, I stand corrected. Good for them!

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
As a state worker in Texas our agency gave us less than a weeks notice to return to the office 3 days a week. Absolutely infuriating to drive across town just to sit at an office and work on a computer. Since the pandemic we had been having one person in office a day just in case someone showed up unexpectedly.