Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not talking about raw power If I was my jailbroke iphone 12 pro will mop the floor with this steam deck I'm talking control layout, battery life, screen quality, cheaper price. This thing can't compete with iphone 12 pro on power it just can't its too cheap and the switch is just overall a better handheld so go switch OLED with an jailbroke iphone 12 pro and your good.
It might be as many as 25,000 concurrent Switchii

We won't know for sure until we can deliver one into the hands of scientists

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not talking about raw power If I was my jailbroke iphone 12 pro will mop the floor with this steam deck I'm talking control layout, battery life, screen quality, cheaper price. This thing can't compete with iphone 12 pro on power it just can't its too cheap and the switch is just overall a better handheld so go switch OLED with an jailbroke iphone 12 pro and your good.

Why are you talking about a $1000+ phone when this is discussing competing products around the same price?

keysersöze

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how well the Web version of gamepass will work with this. If they get that down, it'll be a really nice way to save some space on the device.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

Not trying to be mean, but nothing you just wrote made any sense.

Oct 31, 2017
That thing is MASSIVE. Reminds me of the old game gear. Why do we need so many buttons
I gmhave no idea why people keep saying this stuff. I actually played with a Gamegear back then (not lucky enough to be an owner since I couldn't afford one) and I don't remember it being massive at all.
If anything the screen was fairly tiny.

Also, it didn't really look anywhere near in the same league with this one in terms of comparative power.
And the overall ergonomics here seem to be a lot better too, for obvious reasons.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

So you...tape your iphone 12 to your switch? Or something?

Oct 30, 2017
This post is actually a banger lmao

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
That thing is MASSIVE. Reminds me of the old game gear. Why do we need so many buttons

As someone who's 6'4 with giant hands ...this is massively perfect for me haha. The amount of buttons does seem a lot to me as well but I'm sure like once I use it or whoever else gets it and uses it. It will feel just fine. Hopefully

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a pretty useless metric. XSS has (significantly) more 'gpu performance per pixel' @ 1080p than an XSX @ 4K

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
wow, was this announced out of nowhere? Never seen any rumor about it.

PS5 + Steam Deck (with Windows and Game Pass) might actually be the best combo for me. 64gb version is meeehh, 256 is the one I would get (If I had the money, they sold it here and I already had a PS5 lol).

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co

tenor.gif

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
wow, was this announced out of nowhere? Never seen any rumor about it.

PS5 + Steam Deck (with Windows and Game Pass) might actually be the best combo for me. 64gb version is meeehh, 256 is the one I would get (If I had the money, they sold it here and I already had a PS5 lol).
There were rumors that started last month, didn't think we would see it this soon

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like a pretty useless metric. XSS has (significantly) more 'gpu performance per pixel' @ 1080p than an XSX @ 4K
Indeed. I read that and my first impression is "that's not how this really works". Like you said, XSS has more GPU power per pixel @ 1080p than the XSX@ 4K. I mean it has 1/3 of the XSX GPU and usually renders @ 1080p which is 1/4 of 4k and yet it ends up with less effects and, in some cases it loses modes and features e.g Doom Eternal and the missing RT mode.

I mean it's an impressive handheld that should perform better than the PS4/X1 and it supports a much better CPU and a GPU with modern features. It's also targeting a lower resolution so it should perform very well but this particular metric is faulty. So is also saying it has the same memory as the PS5, without mentioning that it is LPDDR5 with a memory bandwidth that is less than that of the PS4s.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Performance per pixel is a thing now? Brb attaching an old PC to a 1-pixel display. I'll blow this out of the water

Oct 30, 2017
It's such a funny thing to say when all our current phones are either 1440p or 4K...

your phone is primarily designed to show a lot of sharp text/information at once, and is able to perform that task at high resolutions without torching the battery life. the tradeoff makes sense there.

you'll notice that games on your phone don't run at that resolution. 720p-ish is absolutely the right tradeoff for a gaming-first device.

though the 16:10 choice is certainly odd.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. I read that and my first impression is "that's not how this really works". Like you said, XSS has more GPU power per pixel @ 1080p than the XSX@ 4K. I mean it has 1/3 of the XSX GPU and usually renders @ 1080p which is 1/4 of 4k and yet it ends up with less effects and, in some cases it loses modes and features e.g Doom Eternal and the missing RT mode.

I mean it's an impressive handheld that should perform better than the PS4/X1 and it supports a much better CPU and a GPU with modern features. It's also targeting a lower resolution so it should perform very well but this particular metric is faulty. So is also saying it has the same memory as the PS5, without mentioning that it is LPDDR5 with a memory bandwidth that is less than that of the PS4s.

You are over-complicating it. It's a useful metric because it gives you an idea of what sort of games the machine is able to run.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would have been nice if they went with a nVidia GPU solution to take advantage of DLSS.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Would have been nice if they went with a nVidia GPU solution to take advantage of DLSS.

People keep posting this and it's literally impossible right now. Nvidia cannot make X86 CPUs, and PC games don't natively support arm CPUs. Nvidia also hasn't made an appropriately low power enough SoC since the Tegra X1, which released in 2015.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Lol waht?

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
tW042Ex.gif

Cow

Oct 25, 2017

Whew. Didn't know the real ones had finally arrived in this thread.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017

200w.gif

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

It's because it's a portable PC that is supposed to be able to play basically any game on the go.

For example, perhaps you are playing an MMO with a bunch of Hot keys. You can map 4 spells to the extra 4 paddles on the back, 4 spells to the shoulder buttons, and have 4 free face buttons for basic actions, like jumping, interacting, dodging, normal attack etc.

Having the two extra touch pads seems great too. Those will definitely allow players the ability to play any mouse-based games, like rts, fps, or strategy games. I'm excited to try this thing out and see how it all works.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, how is a $1000 phone cheaper and how will it even play Steam games natively? Your post makes no sense

It makes for a great 21:9 streaming device though, I'll give you that

BGbwn2V.jpg

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If you were to build a PC that mirrors this steam deck in specs, how much would it cost? Can ignore control inputs and screen.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty impressive spec wise. It is pretty huge as well for a handheld, but very small for a PC. Pretty cool. I have a pretty powerful PC, a PS5 and a Switch. So not really needed here. I am still hanging on to my Switch because of a few exclusives, and this doesn't really bring anything new for me, even though it is cool. Its a cool option though.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I gmhave no idea why people keep saying this stuff. I actually played with a Gamegear back then (not lucky enough to be an owner since I couldn't afford one) and I don't remember it being massive at all.
If anything the screen was fairly tiny.

Also, it didn't really look anywhere near in the same league with this one in terms of comparative power.
And the overall ergonomics here seem to be a lot better too, for obvious reasons.
I guess it was huge because most of us where kids back in the day lol

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It's impressive but just not for me. I'm saving for an actual PC and even if I wasn't, I'd still rather grab an OLED Switch because of the cheaper price and exclusives and play those other titles on a cheaper Xbox/PS (along with their exclusives).

Really just wondering who this is for. Like, of course there's an audience but how big is it.

I dunno,it might be a big audience. I haven't played on a pc in ages but I have a big library in steam. I'm tempted. Just wondering what the overhead will be and the base storage seems useless.

Oct 27, 2017

Laughed out loud, would read again.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Ok then get a Switch and an iPhone. This is a different product category. What the fuck lol

also I'm pretty sure this has better GPU performance than iPhone 12

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm keen on this if it works well for modern games emulation. Or even video streaming from consoles.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
SteamDeck makes me think Series S should've been a handheld lol

You'd be hard pressed to cram a 4TF SoC into that form factor and still keep it at $299. And scaling down the specs would lead to even worse performance on TVs.

It's something they could consider for a mid-gen refresh if tech advances enough to fully miniaturize the chipset.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a meme post, right? I can't tell on the internet anymore...