• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
im not fucking with paypal or CCs or anything else that could get in the way of this order. putting the full amount direct in my Steam account

Quite a few people who did that with the Index got locked out and needed to contact Valve to whitelist them. Not sure if they ever fixed what the issue with that was.

EDIT: Maybe direct GC weren't the issue. Maybe it was just physical gift cards people were getting flagged for.

Weren't those queues separate for regions and models?

They were. But the numbers were depressing regardless. Almost barely anybody was in the original Dec period. I'm not even sure 1000 got you in.

And I don't buy that they've been using this period to manufacture more for launch. There's no real reason to believe this. Especially when they literally waited until the very last day possible to launch and avoid another round of "delayed" PR. If they were swimming in them, they could have bumped it sooner than March 1st for the first day anyone could possibly receive it from delivery.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Chinese New Year just started, so the timing around all of this is probably that they finally got word on what the actual super-this-is-it quantity their factory was able to finish before everything shuts down for a month and everything's on the water now

Trust me, as someone also shipping electronic goods in from overseas, its still a huge shitshow right now and their people were almost certainly struggling to get more units shipped in time

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still so bummed that I was getting constant errors for most of that morning when this dropped and then when I finally got through I was in Q2.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They were. But the numbers were depressing regardless. Almost barely anybody was in the original Dec period. I'm not even sure 1000 got you in.

And I don't buy that they've been using this period to manufacture more for launch. There's no real reason to believe this. Especially when they literally waited until the very last day possible to launch and avoid another round of "delayed" PR. If they were swimming in them, they could have bumped it sooner than March 1st for the first day anyone could possibly receive it from delivery.

The global manufacturing situation makes it rather unlikely that Valve is swimming in Steam Decks. In the end I bet Valve itself would be super happy if it had enough devices to be able to satisfy the crazy demand for a Steam Deck immediately but it is what it is. Launching devices nowadays is a huge challenge even for electronics giants, thankfully the delay was rather short.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
"Steam Deck launches Feb 25th"

also

"The first units will be on their way to customers starting the 28th"

OIP.wo9ZUhl4nkSHXiVLecJfNQHaEK

Yeah the date the emails go out isn't really the "launch" but oh well. I guess it's because that's the first day we can buy it.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the date the emails go out isn't really the "launch" but oh well. I guess it's because that's the first day we can buy it.

It's just PR so they can say it still launched in February, but no regular customers will have it in hand until March. Is that really a 'launch'? Nobody really cares, just get the damn things out there. And please move me back into Q1!

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's just PR so they can say it still launched in February, but no regular customers will have it in hand until March. Is that really a 'launch'? Nobody really cares, just get the damn things out there. And please move me back into Q1!

I think a bit of ambiguity is in the nature of these things when they are sold exclusively by mail and not sold in stores, but you're right, it doesn't matter. It's just a meaningless market term.