• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I can count on one hand how many times I've had an issue with suspend/resume on steam deck. And I frequently will suspend and resume anywhere from a few times to a dozen+ times per day when I use my deck. I even leave it suspended for days at a time, full weekends without any use and when I resume on Monday, I'm right where I left off. It's incredibly reliable
I have never had an issue with standby playing steam games, third party launcher games and even emulated games. Not saying it can't happen, byt it was the same with PS5. Some people had one bad experience and refuse to use standby to this day.

Kingy

Feb 3, 2019
I completely disagree. SteamOS and not dealing with Windows is one of the primary reasons I prefer the Deck to other handhelds.
Yeah, SteamOS is killer feature of the Deck for me. Valve's contributions with Proton finally let me switch to Linux completely on my gaming PC too.

With Windows these days it feels like you're constantly subject to some anti-consumer nonsense like this: https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/8/23952878/microsoft-onedrive-windows-close-app-notification

SteamOS gives you that gaming focused mode that gets out of your way most of the time, with the option of a full desktop experience when you need it. It's a great balance.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I sold my 256go Deck in minutes on ebay, but canceled. Call me greedy but 10% fees is too steep.
I may lose from this move, I may have to lower my price or have trouble finding a customer, but 30 euros for a 300 sale is eek.

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021
Looks awesome, going to get it day 1. Not sure what to do with my original deck, maybe I'll try some local co-op games with my wife. I don't want to sell it before I get the new one, and I assume the market will be flooded at that point.

I am going with the 512GB one, not really for the screen, just don't need 1TB and don't like the colour of the special edition.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
That Gamer's Nexus video really shows that Valve are really in the business of designing a console now, even if it does play PC games. This is a very significant refresh and I think it's clear the scope of the full Steam Deck project has increased significantly since the design of the original Deck.

It's a fully bespoke integrated design at this point.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
What's with the visible grid in the games shown, like at 22:22 for example ?

It's just the filming of the screen, nothing that's visible to the eye.

Try to film the Switch OLED as example and try to make it not look like shit through your camera lens, it's rough.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
As tempting as it to buy the new one i don't use my current steam deck enough to justify dropping $550 this close to the holidays.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Yesterday I installed windows in the deck and I just tested it with the dock and yeah, it's a great PC to have for emergencies or just to connect to my server to the TV in an easy way so I think that, along with making it possible to play gamepass games natively, is for sure a greater value than the 300€ I would get by selling it. Also, since the OLED has a better screen than my TV I really don't think I have much use for the dock otherwise tbh.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
How's Saturn emulation on the Deck?

As someone who's never tried one before, suddenly I'm curious. Especially if emulation for stuff like Saturn works well.
Pretty good! I think the only game I encountered any issues with was fmv sequences in Grandia which I don't think is unique to the Deck. But by and large Saturn seems to run well.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Man the markup from third party sellers in Australia(Kogan, Dicksmith)....$1180 for the 512gb version, converted straight it should be $870.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
does the 512 model still come with an updated case? Just without the removable insert? Or does the 512 get the old lcd case?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nice. Just sold my Steam Deck to CeX and got an A Grade. £330 with two Blu-Rays I've been meaning to sell, so £150 for the upgrade. Don't know how because I didn't have all the inside packaging lol, but it happened.

Now just got to go through the stress of actually buying the OLED. Hopefully Steam doesn't fuck up too badly. Any idea when on the 16th it'll go live?

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Just sold my Steam Deck to CeX and got an A Grade. £330 with two Blu-Rays I've been meaning to sell, so £150 for the upgrade. Don't know how because I didn't have all the inside packaging lol, but it happened.

Now just got to go through the stress of actually buying the OLED. Hopefully Steam doesn't fuck up too badly. Any idea when on the 16th it'll go live?

Congrats on getting the A grade! What I'm hoping for, wish me luck.

I believe it's 6pm our time, prepare for carnage...

Plum

May 31, 2018
Congrats on getting the A grade! What I'm hoping for, wish me luck.

I believe it's 6pm our time, prepare for carnage...
Thanks! Yeah, that's gonna be madness. Hopefully shouldn't be as bad as the original pre-orders were (which I did get for the second wave, but cancelled).

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Yeah, that's gonna be madness. Hopefully shouldn't be as bad as the original pre-orders were (which I did get for the second wave, but cancelled).

Well, they have said that they're prepared this time, but I'm not sure they're ready for the thirst the OLED is creating. I want the 512, but I'll take whatever I can get tbh. Good luck on Thursday 🙏

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

It's Valve. Expect madness. Hopefully not for the wait times, but the actual order process. Valve servers always buckle under any type of event. No reason to expect this to be any smoother.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
For me, SteamOS is the point of the Steam Deck. Windows on the Deck makes it feel like all the other handhelds before it that were terrible to use.
Sadly, a lot of games I like to play (Japanese VNs) don't work well with Proton, so having a dual boot is a necessity for me.
No issues with them, including suspend, luckily. It's not as nice as SteamOS, sure, but beats not being able to play them.

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
Same here. Every morning since announcement I've woken up in different sides of the fence
I keep going back and forth on trying for the limited edition or not. I'm worried that the non-LE might sell out in the time it takes to try for it. But maybe they have more non-LEs than I give them credit for.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Ok so here's a question… debating if I should go for the OLED Steam Deck or wait for the Switch 2?

My current Steam library might as well be zero games, but I have a pretty large digital Switch library.

Are we thinking the Switch 2 might be slightly more capable of playing "next gen" ports of 3rd party games as this generation goes on that the Deck wouldn't be able to handle? Or would they likely be capable of playing the same games (obviously with the exception of Nintendo first party) and kind of expect anything that'll run on the Switch 2 be able to run fine on the Deck for the next few years?

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so here's a question… debating if I should go for the OLED Steam Deck or wait for the Switch 2?

My current Steam library might as well be zero games, but I have a pretty large digital Switch library.

Are we thinking the Switch 2 might be slightly more capable of playing "next gen" ports of 3rd party games as this generation goes on that the Deck wouldn't be able to handle? Or would they likely be capable of playing the same games (obviously with the exception of Nintendo first party) and kind of expect anything that'll run on the Switch 2 be able to run fine on the Deck for the next few years?
I expect the Switch 2 to be more capable than the Deck, partially cause of DLSS and partially cause of more performance and efficiency you get from custom silicon.

I think there will be many games that run on Switch 2. And I don't think Switch 2 emulation will even be a possibility in the short term, probably never on this Deck.

It sounds to me like waiting for Switch 2 might make more sense for you.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

The Switch 2 will almost certainly be at least as strong as the Deck and probably stronger especially when including DLSS, so if you have a large library on Switch I'd just stick with it unless you're wanting to get into PC gaming.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Switch 2 will benefit from games being specifically optimized for it and it should be more performant than the Steam Deck while consuming less energy. I don't doubt it will be better, but it's a shame it will probably launch without an OLED screen.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019

That's my question too.

My guess is that the switch won't be quite as powerful as the deck in term of raw numbers - i still think Nintendo will want to meet an ergonomic balance between size, power, and cost. I don't think it'll be far of it though and I guess it has the advantage of having games being optimised for it, probably putting it on just about a par. I don't know though. I would imagine we would get a clearer idea early next year. Suspect we see an unveiling around March- June. Not too far away to find out.

The oled deck looks great but I think I'm leaning towards a switch 2 as I'm not that well versed in pc stuff and fiddling around with stuff to tweak games. Plus Nintendo games. Still hugely tempted though!

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
This OLED model has addressed all the reasons I didn't pickup the original steam deck. With how close the Switch 2 most likely is, I thought it's prob not worth picking up despite how nice the hardware is because realistically I'll only really use it when I travel.

However I'm half thinking now that I could use it as my travel device and my partner could use it as a gaming PC. Generally the games she'd be really into would be the likes of Stardew and Cult of the Lamb. I assume with the dock, this would be pretty viable?

Before I was thinking whenever I fully upgrade my PC, that I'd give her my old one but we don't have that much space so this could be a good way to go

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, a lot of games I like to play (Japanese VNs) don't work well with Proton, so having a dual boot is a necessity for me.
No issues with them, including suspend, luckily. It's not as nice as SteamOS, sure, but beats not being able to play them.
you should open issues on the Proton GitHub repo so they are aware.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's the standard case compared to the 1TB but I'm curious if the design changes carry over to the standard case

They have to at least give the orange decal, right? White for 256GB, Orange for 512&1TB, and 1TB then gets the sock case.

They didn't give the old 256GB model the blue decal before, but since 1TB is now getting the inner case, they'd be pretty cheap if they didn't give 512 owners something over the 256 users.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking forwar

If you aren't invested in Steam or don't intend to, don't get the Deck. Easy as that, imo. The benefit is playing all my Steam games I've built up since 2005. And if you don't have a big Steam library, you may not be into tweaking stuff, which the Deck most definitely still needs despite Valve's best efforts.

Blitzpwnage

Feb 11, 2018
What case does the 512gb OLED come with? Is it still that regular one? I want the fancy one dammit but not the etched screen!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This OLED model has addressed all the reasons I didn't pickup the original steam deck. With how close the Switch 2 most likely is, I thought it's prob not worth picking up despite how nice the hardware is because realistically I'll only really use it when I travel.

However I'm half thinking now that I could use it as my travel device and my partner could use it as a gaming PC. Generally the games she'd be really into would be the likes of Stardew and Cult of the Lamb. I assume with the dock, this would be pretty viable?

Before I was thinking whenever I fully upgrade my PC, that I'd give her my old one but we don't have that much space so this could be a good way to go
Yeah, with the dock your partner should be happy using a deck as a lightweight gaming PC/console.

IMHO it's gonna be a question of if those next-gen games will come to Switch 2 in the first place. Which I can't really answer, but most of those games will come to PC and might be playable on the Deck in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.