ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I keep fiddling and modding stuff, playing for 15 minutes then mod something else.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for recommendations for games I can play in Coop with my son. I would be playing on the Deck, he has a PC. Should be PVE and nothing too hard for his old father, so better no twitchy 1st person shooter. Maybe something survival?
He does not like Diablo btw…

Thanks all!

The deck is perfect for beat em ups, and those are perfect for co-op play. Here are a couple recommendations:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/985890/Streets_of_Rage_4/

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361510/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_Shredders_Revenge/

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/885150/Capcom_Beat_Em_Up_Bundle/

Or you could play this, which is probably the best co-op game I have played:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/620/Portal_2/

Oh, how could I forget... Though I've never tried it in co-op, this is a great game (this forum only allows 4 media links, apparently).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Would Stardew fit? I believe that should be quite possible between Deck and PC.

Oh. I'll ask him. Honestly didn't even know it has coop

Thanks!
The deck is perfect for beat em ups, and those are perfect for co-op play. Here are a couple recommendations:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/985890/Streets_of_Rage_4/

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361510/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_Shredders_Revenge/

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/885150/Capcom_Beat_Em_Up_Bundle/

Or you could play this, which is probably the best co-op game I have played:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/620/Portal_2/

Oh, how could I forget... Though I've never tried it in co-op, this is a great game (this forum only allows 4 media links, apparently).

Thank you, too! I even own some of them already, great games

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if anyone has started seeing slow download speeds for shader cache and games.

On both wireless and wired I'm getting 100mbps (yes 10MB/s) on my deck downloading to internal nvme. Transfer from another system in the house gets 600mbps and browser speed tests and network transfers in desktop mode show the correct near 1000mbps speed.

Region is US - Boston. My daughters deck doesn't see the problem on the same home network.

This is even after a factory reset. Limit download rate isn't on and transferring is really quick. Can't think what's changed. This is on a launch unit with stable build.

MrMattamus

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had issues with HDR on either official or third party docks? I have the OLED and when I was playing LAD: Infinite Wealth docked, it wasn't sending an HDR signal and my TV was not detecting one. Have the JSAUX dock.

The HDMI cable I have is working. I tested it on my PC and PS5 and both had my TV detect HDR, but the dock doesn't. The answers on the Amazon page says it does support HDR, but just unsure if HDR is supported docked.

Not a huge deal as I can just turn it off when docked, but was curious.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My big hope for the new Deck is a better dpad. While it's OK for menu usage, the d-pad on my OLED is just awful for old-school 2D games. The diagonals are VERY tough to trigger. I recently picked up a bunch of shmups and they feel terrible on the Deck.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had issues with HDR on either official or third party docks? I have the OLED and when I was playing LAD: Infinite Wealth docked, it wasn't sending an HDR signal and my TV was not detecting one. Have the JSAUX dock.

The HDMI cable I have is working. I tested it on my PC and PS5 and both had my TV detect HDR, but the dock doesn't. The answers on the Amazon page says it does support HDR, but just unsure if HDR is supported docked.

Not a huge deal as I can just turn it off when docked, but was curious.
I have the same dock and HDR works fine for me on my LG OLED.

VRR doesn't alas.

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
Broke and upgraded to the OLED.

I didn't expect it to feel so much lighter. Also, does the OLED have a worse Wifi chip or something? My LCD was flawless with Chiaki but with the OLED i don't feel like i'm getting full wifi bars.

It seems like OLED owners fall into two camps: people that have had zero wifi issues and users that have serious wifi issues. Just search online (steam deck subreddit, github, steam forums, etc) and you'll see tons of complaints. Clearly there is SOMETHING that is giving OLED decks various wifi issues.

When I first got my OLED and opened it up it refused to connect to my WiFi...the exact same WiFi that my LCD Deck worked with great. I restarted it and got it to connect, then I was able to update it and that seemed to help somewhat, but I found the speed to still be slow. Once I did the following I was able to get 900+ mbps speed tests.

WiFi fixes that worked for me (I have an ASUS RT-AX88U):
  • Separate out the 2.4ghz network and 5ghz network. The OLED deck supposedly works with WiFi 6E/6ghz networks but I can't confirm as I don't have a 6E router, and I have seen issues online with it... For some people, having them combined and letting the device "choose" which one it wants to communicate with causes issues.
  • If you are using 5ghz try disabling the 160mhz bandwidth option. The OLED Deck seems to have a a problem with certain routers on 5ghz and turning off the 160mhz bandwidth option, assuming your router has it, seems to help a lot of people. 160mhz is more prone to signal interference and it seems like the Deck is especially susceptible.
  • Also you may want to disable the "Use DFS channels" option in your 5ghz settings, ESPECIALLY if you live near an airport or weather radar. If you are on a DFS channel and your router detects a radar signal it will literally shut off your wifi briefly to switch channels, giving constant disconnects or streaming issues.
  • If you live in an especially dense area with lots of WiFi, use a channel scanning utility and try to find a channel that no one else is using, and then disable the "auto channel" option in your router and select one that is less busy.
  • If none of that works, try disabling the WiFi power management in the Steam Deck settings. I haven't had to do this but it does seem to work for some people online.

1 gift from Transistor

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Transistor Transistor!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Transistor said:
To pour one out for Tango and Arkane Austin, Transistor traded in his Series X today for THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS which he promptly put towards a ton of Steam gift cards. So I'ma be nice and share one of them with y'all.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: $20 USD Steam Card - Won by kidnemo kidnemo (106 entries)

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
Wonder if anyone has started seeing slow download speeds for shader cache and games.

On both wireless and wired I'm getting 100mbps (yes 10MB/s) on my deck downloading to internal nvme. Transfer from another system in the house gets 600mbps and browser speed tests and network transfers in desktop mode show the correct near 1000mbps speed.

Region is US - Boston. My daughters deck doesn't see the problem on the same home network.

This is even after a factory reset. Limit download rate isn't on and transferring is really quick. Can't think what's changed. This is on a launch unit with stable build.

If you are getting 1000mbps speed tests than I think your Deck is fine - the limitation is probably Valve's servers. 100mbps is still pretty quick. It could be something on Valve's end too that limits bandwidth to multiple devices at the same IP/in the same location.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
If you are getting 1000mbps speed tests than I think your Deck is fine - the limitation is probably Valve's servers. 100mbps is still pretty quick. It could be something on Valve's end too that limits bandwidth to multiple devices at the same IP/in the same location.

We do have about 5 devices that are always running Steam including two decks on different accounts. TBH I'll just download to a PC and then use transfer to get it on the deck for now.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
We do have about 5 devices that are always running Steam including two decks on different accounts. TBH I'll just download to a PC and then use transfer to get it on the deck for now.
Try a different region. Might sound weird, but I had an issue with the local Houston servers on my PC at one point and switched to Dallas and my speeds quadrupled.

Mar 19, 2020
It seems like OLED owners fall into two camps: people that have had zero wifi issues and users that have serious wifi issues. Just search online (steam deck subreddit, github, steam forums, etc) and you'll see tons of complaints. Clearly there is SOMETHING that is giving OLED decks various wifi issues.

When I first got my OLED and opened it up it refused to connect to my WiFi...the exact same WiFi that my LCD Deck worked with great. I restarted it and got it to connect, then I was able to update it and that seemed to help somewhat, but I found the speed to still be slow. Once I did the following I was able to get 900+ mbps speed tests.

WiFi fixes that worked for me (I have an ASUS RT-AX88U):
  • Separate out the 2.4ghz network and 5ghz network. The OLED deck supposedly works with WiFi 6E/6ghz networks but I can't confirm as I don't have a 6E router, and I have seen issues online with it... For some people, having them combined and letting the device "choose" which one it wants to communicate with causes issues.
  • If you are using 5ghz try disabling the 160mhz bandwidth option. The OLED Deck seems to have a a problem with certain routers on 5ghz and turning off the 160mhz bandwidth option, assuming your router has it, seems to help a lot of people. 160mhz is more prone to signal interference and it seems like the Deck is especially susceptible.
  • Also you may want to disable the "Use DFS channels" option in your 5ghz settings, ESPECIALLY if you live near an airport or weather radar. If you are on a DFS channel and your router detects a radar signal it will literally shut off your wifi briefly to switch channels, giving constant disconnects or streaming issues.
  • If you live in an especially dense area with lots of WiFi, use a channel scanning utility and try to find a channel that no one else is using, and then disable the "auto channel" option in your router and select one that is less busy.
  • If none of that works, try disabling the WiFi power management in the Steam Deck settings. I haven't had to do this but it does seem to work for some people online.

Wow, thank you so much for the comprehensive post. I'll definitely try some of these out and report back. Much appreciated!

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
This recent 'stable' update was pretty rough.....

For some reason, Batman Arkham Asylum no longer launches for me. Tried various proton versions and tried reinstalling. Worked fine before the update.

Also when I launch a game, it looks like its trying to launch the game like 3 or 4 times.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody tried playing Dwarf Fortress on their Deck? It's on sale right now, but not sure if it makes sense on the small screen and with track pads.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Has anybody tried playing Dwarf Fortress on their Deck? It's on sale right now, but not sure if it makes sense on the small screen and with track pads.

I've always had interest in it, since, forever, but still never played it. I'd be curious about trying it on the deck.

Also - should I be worried about updating my steamdeck? I have had it for a few months now and I see the little ! to update it presumably but I haven't messed around with it...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
BTW: tried Crusader Kings III on the Deck as it's free to play this weekend or something. Shit is definitely too small lol. What a shame. Would have loved to give this a go

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

My big hope for the new Deck is a better dpad. While it's OK for menu usage, the d-pad on my OLED is just awful for old-school 2D games. The diagonals are VERY tough to trigger. I recently picked up a bunch of shmups and they feel terrible on the Deck.

Love these two on the same page, but I'm more in with the ladder. Heck even the tiny face buttons are a problem for proper button mashing.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I've been playing the Mass Effect: Legendary Edition since it first went on sale for 6 DOLLARS (!!!) and ME1 and ME2 look so good running at a locked 60. It's been a dream

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
so, we had some bad weather in Kentucky last night, and had some power surges then power failure. I was asleep during this time, or I would have kicked my surge strip off, but here we are. Steam deck comes up with just the valve logo and a "verifying installation" progress bar that never progresses.

A quick look on google led me to reddit where it looks like its from the deck trying to connect to the internet while it was out, and now stuck in a loop.

anyone else had this issue? is my only option at this point a complete wipe and OS install?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this error last night.

Hold the triple ... Button and turn on the power. It should boot up to a recovery menu. Choose the top option to load up A Os, see if that works. If it doesn't try the B OS recovery.

I did that and it worked. I also read that you need to dock/ethernet your Deck and it will verify installation.

Last edited:

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this error last night.

Hold the triple ... Button and turn on the power. It should boot up to a recovery menu. Choose the top option to load up A Os, see if that works. If it doesn't try the B OS recovery.

I did that and it worked. I also read that you need to dock/ethernet your Deck and it will verify installation.
thanks for this, will try this here in a bit when im back in the room with my deck, unfortunately i have a dock without ethernet and no ethernet to usb adapter, so hoping just loading the recovery will fix

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So the mod helps, but this game feels to be made for the big screen. Comparable to games like Anno, which never worked for me on the Deck.

Good it was free to try then 🙂
Yeah, I mean it's how much you are willing to put up with to play it on the Deck. These types of games are definitely not designed with it in mind.

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody tried playing Dwarf Fortress on their Deck?
I have like 200 hours into Dwarf Fortress on the deck, and it plays perfectly. I think I had to change a few options to get the UI to scale correctly, but I installed it on my deck day 1. It controls very well with the controller track pad (you may need to download a community profile to get the correct binding for the other stuff like changing zlevels.)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, my Clonezilla transfer to my OLED worked 😓 Navigating that Windows 95-esque was stressful, and the new deck initially wouldn't recognize the external SSD, then the restoration took twice as long as it should have it... etc etc. Nonetheless, tis finished and it seems like full functionality restored (including my broken L1 which was the straw that broke the camel's back)

Nonetheless, if anyone is looking to do the same, as opposed to setting up new, this video is just a nice straight up walkthrough:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF6UAVfWKDs

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the write up.
I have like 200 hours into Dwarf Fortress on the deck, and it plays perfectly. I think I had to change a few options to get the UI to scale correctly, but I installed it on my deck day 1. It controls very well with the controller track pad (you may need to download a community profile to get the correct binding for the other stuff like changing zlevels.)

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is there no regular Steam OT on the site? I wanted to ask about people's experience with the new family sharing. A friend and I are doing it and it seems to work great, any reason not add another couple of friends?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
3.6 preview update is out. Seems to focus on Bluetooth, Display, HDMI-CEC for the dock, as well as the usual updates to core stuff like Kernel and Mesa.

General
  • Updated to a more recent Arch Linux base
  • Improved pairing experience with Apple AirPods
  • Improved session recovery speed after GPU crashes
  • Fixed some connectivity failures with access points supporting WPA3 security
  • Updated Linux kernel to version 6.5
  • Improved speed of subsequent OS updates
  • Improved reliability of certain microSD card usage scenarios
  • Fixed game session cursor offset alignment
  • Worked around misdetection of some SanDisk microSD cards
  • Fixed an issue where a thin grey line could appear at the bottom of the screen during boot in some situations
  • Fixed an issue causing temporary files to accrue when using Flatpak
  • Enabled support for Bluetooth A2DP and BAP profiles
  • Improved connection speed of some Bluetooth devices
  • Improved performance and stability in memory pressure situations
  • Fixed an issue where the Performance Overlay would spuriously enable itself under certain conditions
  • Added mechanism to configure which Bluetooth device categories are allowed to wake the system from suspend
    • By default, controllers are the only devices that can wake the system from sleep
    • Finer-grained UI configuration options will be available as part of a future update

Display
  • Improved display uniformity, under some conditions (Mura Compensation)
  • Improved display color balance (reduced green tint) at lower brightness levels, under some conditions
  • Improved gamma uniformity (yellow tint), under some conditions

Graphics and Performance
  • Updated graphics driver to Mesa 24.1, with many performance and correctness improvements
  • Improved responsiveness of the Steam UI

Desktop Mode
  • Updated to KDE Plasma 5.27.10
  • Enabled thumbnail previews for videos in the file browser
  • Fixed an issue with desktop use that could cause subsequent microSD card auto-mount to fail

Deck Dock
  • Added support for some HDMI CEC features:
    • TV remote input
    • TV wake up
    • TV input switching
  • Updated Dock firmware, with compatibility fixes for high-refresh-rate VRR displays

BIOS
  • Added overclocking controls on Steam Deck LCD
  • Fixed not being able to set the SDCard as default boot device
  • Adjusted power LED slow charging threshold
  • Fixed spurious power LED blinking in S5

Development and Modding
  • Modified files in /etc are now migrated to new OS versions based on a whitelist
    • Fixes numerous issues with incidentally touched /etc files becoming 'sticky' and persisting unexpectedly
    • Additional whitelist entries can be added via config fragments
      • See /etc/atomic-update.conf.d/example-additional-keep-list.conf
    • Added /etc/previous/ containing modifications from the previous update to prevent unexpected data loss
      • Up to five previous snaphots of /etc modifications will additionally be retained in /var/lib/steamos-atomupd/etc_backup/
  • Added support for {ssh,sshd}_config fragments
Could also be some pretty good performance increases.

View: https://x.com/carygolomb/status/1788734562186469850

Last edited: