TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has Valve commented on the crazy dock issues that surfaced with 3.5? My video signal still doesn't properly cut over to my monitor. I'm on 3.5.7.

shorodei

Feb 21, 2022
Has anyone tested shader precaching enabled vs disabled in 3.5? I heard it's supposed to make it not as useful, and the amount of precache downloads are getting kinda annoying.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
It runs beautifully.

It's one of the few games I double dipped on Switch and Steam because the former port is genuinely terrible. A shame, Switch is a good Metroidvania machine otherwise.

Yeah I'm trying it out right now and it runs very well!
I'm wondering if Epic or Cinematic settings are the best though. Cinematic could mean a lot of things.

3 gifts from SiDCrAzY

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 3 gifts from SiDCrAzY SiDCrAzY!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

SiDCrAzY said:
Please enjoy. According to some on protondb MK 11 takes some tinkering to get it working and others say it works "out of the box".

I decided to include it anyways for those that don't mind a bit of tinkering if necessary .

These are our awesome prizes:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
So I had an OG Deck and was addicted to Vampire Survivors despite it tanking down in frame rate. I now have an OLED and most of my first run was a stable 90fps... Wow when did this game become so consistent?!

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Got me replacement LE and you have to be fucking kidding me.

Got another dead pixel, or sub pixel more likely. Dead pixel that only shows on a red background. It's kind of hard to see, but what the fuck man.

Vidius

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle

Got another dead pixel, or sub pixel more likely. Dead pixel that only shows on a red background. It's kind of hard to see, but what the fuck man.

☹️ that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Been keeping track and it seems like it's a crapshoot whether or not you get on without issues. Currently at 4:4 from what I've seen so far

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I did and it did work when I tested it. Although didn't do any of that automation stuff from that page you linked.

I pretty much after got the home network side working tested it using my mobile hotspot, just opened up port forwarding/static IP on my router and the ports the guides online suggested to use, then made a new connection in Chiaki that used the whatsmyip address of my home network as the ip address when adding the new PS5 connection. It did take a bit of time figuring out the remote ip thing. But it worked in the end.

Developer got back to me and explained that steam by default hides folders (needed to press CTRL+H to see hidden files/folders). So I was able to set all that up and did get it to work off my mobile hotspot (though connection was pretty unstable - I would want to try on a faster connection).

Any have an idea on how unsafe port forwarding is for PS5? Like what are the worse case scenarios for that device and anything else on the home network? I don't think this is something I will end up leaving on a lot - only for when I'm traveling out of town?

May 30, 2018

holy shit. i can't believe they wouldn't double check the deck's of people who are doing RMAs

EDIT: i just messaged them and asked if there's any way they can check mine before they send it. this is souring something that should not be this frustrating

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit. i can't believe they wouldn't double check the deck's of people who are doing RMAs

EDIT: i just messaged them and asked if there's any way they can check mine before they send it. this is souring something that should not be this frustrating

Yeah, I honestly can't believe the QC. It's maddening that they want me to accept a flawed product. I know they're currently gaslighting customers who have dead pixels into believing it's not a big deal either. Not cool, Valve.

This is so disappointing.

May 30, 2018
Yeah, I honestly can't believe the QC. It's maddening that they want me to accept a flawed product. I know they're currently gaslighting customers who have dead pixels into believing it's not a big deal either. Not cool, Valve.

This is so disappointing.
i'd love to know what you get back from them when you message them again because i'm absolutely preparing myself for the possibility of being in your shoes and i hate it. deserves to be louder at the top of the subreddit

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
i'd love to know what you get back from them when you message them again because i'm absolutely preparing myself for the possibility of being in your shoes and i hate it. deserves to be louder at the top of the subreddit

You're gonna hear how actually most units are fine and just a fraction of users are complaining, or that you need to stop looking for flaws and just enjoy the device 🙈🙉🙊

Vidius

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle

I'm curious as well what support says. I feel the least they could do is to cross ship replacements. Currently, I have both my steam decks in the RMA process and going 0/3 would be very disappointing.

If the screen issues on the LE decks are really rare, what would be the odds of multiple people also receiving screens with dead pixels? I've seen enough to make me concerned at this point. Not sure if I want to go through the screen lottery again after the holidays or just return and try my luck on the Samsung screens.

May 30, 2018
I'm curious as well what support says. I feel the least they could do is to cross ship replacements. Currently, I have both my steam decks in the RMA process and going 0/3 would be very disappointing.

If the screen issues on the LE decks are really rare, what would be the odds of multiple people also receiving screens with dead pixels? I've seen enough to make me concerned at this point. Not sure if I want to go through the screen lottery again after the holidays or just return and try my luck on the Samsung screens.
i've been begging them for an advance replacement and i have to hope they'd be more willing with 2nd replacement.

Vidius

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle
You're gonna hear how actually most units are fine and just a fraction are complaining, or that you need to stop looking for flaws and just enjoy the device 🙈🙉🙊

Normally I'd just chalk it up to bad luck. Sometimes batches are bad and it is unavoidable. But again, what are the odds of multiple people getting replacements with the same problem?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd just chalk it up to bad luck. Sometimes batches are bad and it is unavoidable. But again, what are the odds of multiple people getting replacements with the same problem?

As someone who had several (LCD) Decks of varying (but consistently disappointing) build quality due to RMAs, I find it very believable that Valve is quite loose about QC

Vidius

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle
i've been begging them for an advance replacement and i have to hope they'd be more willing with 2nd replacement.

I'd hope so. If my replacement comes back the same way, I'm going to try to escalate. I told support that I'd be more than happy to have another charge on my card as insurance for an advance replacement. The way they do the shipping, I can't even get it held while I am out of town.

Vidius

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle
As someone who had several RMAs with (LCD) Decks of varying build quality, I find it very believable that Valve is quite loose about QC

Yeah, it's starting to look like that to me. Like I get it, hardware is hard. Launching a new product is challenging and most people aren't privy to what is actually involved. I got to be apart of one this year and my lord do I have stories I wish I could tell

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
How does last Epoch run on the deck?
In the opening levels at least, you can't hit a consistent 60FPS on low or even very low settings with AA off. Framerate fluctuates in the 50s.

The default Linux build has transparent characters/models at the character creation and selection screen, along with some other graphical issues in-game. This particular issue hasn't been fixed for some time (according to the LE subreddit). Instead of using the default build, I'd recommend switching to Proton Experimental or Proton GE and running the Windows version instead.

LE has gamepad support, but the UI/UX could use some QoL changes.

I've primarily played LE on my desktop, and it's a fun game. I installed it on the Deck for a rainy day, but haven't played the game on it very much at all. I'm waiting for LE 1.0 to come out and have been playing Grim Dawn for my go-to, portable ARPG fix.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In the opening levels at least, you can't hit a consistent 60FPS on low or even very low settings with AA off. Framerate fluctuates in the 50s.

The default Linux build has transparent characters/models at the character creation and selection screen, along with some other graphical issues in-game. This particular issue hasn't been fixed for some time (according to the LE subreddit). Instead of using the default build, I'd recommend switching to Proton Experimental or Proton GE and running the Windows version instead.

I've primarily played LE on my desktop, and it's a fun game. I installed it on the Deck for a rainy day, but haven't played the game on it very much at all. I'm waiting for LE 1.0 to come out and have been playing Grim Dawn for my go-to, portable ARPG fix.
Thanks for the heads up. I just been on a ARPG bender and wanted something for the deck

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm if I use my Anker charger that does 100w and works fine with my ROG Ally to get 30w boost mode, the steam deck seems to charge slowly. Every time I replug in the usb C cable, the projected charge time seems random and range from 3h to 50h or so. If I have it plugged in and do the "…" + vol down to reset the port, then it says something like 1h 30m a charges fast but goes back to slow charging if I unplug and plug it back in. Anyone experience this and know what's going on?

I have noticed this as well. I think I always get the orange slow charge light with every Anker charger I have tried, it generally seems to be enough to charge the Deck while playing, albeit slowly. I also have a UGREEN charger that seems to work better, the charge times are faster and the LED is white while charging...

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So I guess this doesn't happen much, but Steam really doesn't let you have one game playing on a device and play a separate game on another device?

Like I had my Steam Deck running a game in the background while it was downloading, and then I hopped on my PC to play a table in Pinball FX, and it told me I was already logged in on the Deck playing a game and it'd have to kick me out on the Deck to start up Pinball.

What the fuck year is this? I can play like 100 different games on Android and iDevices at a time, Steam really only allows you to play a single game at once?

Holy hell!

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

The UI and text are BRUTAL on the deck. Devs have no plans to support the deck at this time which is pretty disappointing. Hope it changes

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
My deck comes in this Saturday and I was wondering what are some god things to know in terms of game performance?

General mindsets help, but just mostly wanting to know what the sweet spot is for most games.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The steam deck Oled confuses me. My usb c to Ethernet works fine on my old deck but not the Oled. I don't get why some things don't work on it.

I had to boot into bios and change the usb power function to Xci. There seems to be a bug in the software

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
My deck comes in this Saturday and I was wondering what are some god things to know in terms of game performance?

General mindsets help, but just mostly wanting to know what the sweet spot is for most games.

Figure by eras:

360/PS3 games - 90fps
Switch games - 60-90fps
PS4 games - 30-60fps
PS5 games - Wait for Deck 2
Indie games / Non AAA games - 60-90fps

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
☹️ that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Been keeping track and it seems like it's a crapshoot whether or not you get on without issues. Currently at 4:4 from what I've seen so far

So because it only seems to be visible on a red background, it seems almost imperceptible since I haven't been able to see it during any gameplay. It's also right on the edge, thankfully.

Still, sucks I'm convinced myself that a technically flawed, imperfect display is fine

Vidius

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle
So because it only seems to be visible on a red background, it seems almost imperceptible since I haven't been able to see it during any gameplay. It's also right on the edge, thankfully.

Still, sucks I'm convinced myself that a technically flawed, imperfect display is fine

I hear you. That's the better scenario if you are going to live with it. Honestly, a completely dead pixel would be less bothersome than a dead sub-pixel (especially if it's not the green).

I guess I'll find out for myself on Monday

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Talk about convenience.

Steam Deck OLED wakes up from sleep when my Pixel Buds Pro get popped in. Makes gaming on the bus more convenient 😁

Sooooo handy. 😎

Oct 29, 2017
Just ran into a really strangely specific bug/issue regarding the VRR setting on my Deck and I'm struggling to figure out how to fix it. Here's a rundown of what happened:
  • I was testing my LE OLED in docked mode connected to a cheap secondary 1080p 75hz Acer monitor using HDMI (not 2.1 though...more on that later) and the official dock, messing around with Portal 1 to see how it behaves with regards to changing resolutions and scaling since I haven't messed with my Deck in docked mode very much.
  • I notice in the "..." menu that the "Enable VRR" toggle was not greyed out and it said "Display is VRR capable". I didn't even realize my cheap 2nd monitor had FreeSync, but I checked its settings and sure enough, it does.
  • Just to experiment (and not even thinking about the fact that I wasn't using HDMI 2.1), I enabled VRR and my monitor turned black, then flashed back to Portal after a few seconds. Moving my mouse immediately killed the signal though and I was stuck on a black screen. So I disconnected the Dock's USB C from the Deck and reconnected it, which brought back the video signal and reset the VRR toggle back to disabled.
  • Still not realizing my HDMI connection was insufficient (in part due to the fact that the OS was allowing me to toggle it on to begin with), I confusingly screwed around with refresh rate settings and monitor settings for a long time (disabling FreeSync, re-enabling it, restarting my Deck, disabling Frame Limit, etc.) basically trying whatever I could think of to troubleshoot thinking I should be getting VRR to work, but of course it wasn't.
  • Finally after messing around enough, I realized my HDMI was the problem. I ordered a short 2.1 HDMI from Amazon and went back into Portal to go about the original testing I was meant to pursue, which was resolution and scaling options.
  • Somehow, after messing around with Portals settings some more, and adjusting the refresh rate, I notice that "Enable VRR" is greyed out, leaving me confused as to why it wasn't greyed out before but is now.
  • Since I still have my LCD Deck (I'm giving it to my nephew for Xmas), I then decided to check and see if the VRR toggle would also be greyed out for it. So I connected that to the same dock (still connected to the same monitor) and low and behold, "Enable VRR" toggle is NOT greyed out and it says "Display is VRR capable".
  • Going back to my OLED right after and it's still stuck with it being greyed out. Now I'm concerned that I'm going to get my VRR rated HDMI cable and my OLED's VRR capabilities are bricked from when it was letting me screw around with the toggle? Clearly it should have never been allowing me to toggle it on in the first place due to having the wrong connection. But now I'm very worried that I screwed up my deck.
Any ideas? I submitted a ticket to Valve but I figured maybe someone here might have some advice.

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Any news regarding the 200/1040 mhz bug? I just got the OLED and I'm affected by this bug. A bit disappointed with receiving a new device with bugs when my LCD model works perfectly.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Any news regarding the 200/1040 mhz bug? I just got the OLED and I'm affected by this bug. A bit disappointed with receiving a new device with bugs when my LCD model works perfectly.
Last time I checked Github Valve reps insisted it's not an issue, wanted people to post proof of games having performance issues between SteamOS versions and closed threads as being resolved when people did so.
That was two weeks ago, maybe something changed since...

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017

If a game can't quite hit 60 at 800p, drop it to 720p and activate the FSR that's built into the Deck. If the game has FSR in it's options use that as a priority. This smooths most things out nicely

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Just ran into a really strangely specific bug/issue regarding the VRR setting on my Deck and I'm struggling to figure out how to fix it. Here's a rundown of what happened:
  • I was testing my LE OLED in docked mode connected to a cheap secondary 1080p 75hz Acer monitor using HDMI (not 2.1 though...more on that later) and the official dock, messing around with Portal 1 to see how it behaves with regards to changing resolutions and scaling since I haven't messed with my Deck in docked mode very much.
  • I notice in the "..." menu that the "Enable VRR" toggle was not greyed out and it said "Display is VRR capable". I didn't even realize my cheap 2nd monitor had FreeSync, but I checked its settings and sure enough, it does.
  • Just to experiment (and not even thinking about the fact that I wasn't using HDMI 2.1), I enabled VRR and my monitor turned black, then flashed back to Portal after a few seconds. Moving my mouse immediately killed the signal though and I was stuck on a black screen. So I disconnected the Dock's USB C from the Deck and reconnected it, which brought back the video signal and reset the VRR toggle back to disabled.
  • Still not realizing my HDMI connection was insufficient (in part due to the fact that the OS was allowing me to toggle it on to begin with), I confusingly screwed around with refresh rate settings and monitor settings for a long time (disabling FreeSync, re-enabling it, restarting my Deck, disabling Frame Limit, etc.) basically trying whatever I could think of to troubleshoot thinking I should be getting VRR to work, but of course it wasn't.
  • Finally after messing around enough, I realized my HDMI was the problem. I ordered a short 2.1 HDMI from Amazon and went back into Portal to go about the original testing I was meant to pursue, which was resolution and scaling options.
  • Somehow, after messing around with Portals settings some more, and adjusting the refresh rate, I notice that "Enable VRR" is greyed out, leaving me confused as to why it wasn't greyed out before but is now.
  • Since I still have my LCD Deck (I'm giving it to my nephew for Xmas), I then decided to check and see if the VRR toggle would also be greyed out for it. So I connected that to the same dock (still connected to the same monitor) and low and behold, "Enable VRR" toggle is NOT greyed out and it says "Display is VRR capable".
  • Going back to my OLED right after and it's still stuck with it being greyed out. Now I'm concerned that I'm going to get my VRR rated HDMI cable and my OLED's VRR capabilities are bricked from when it was letting me screw around with the toggle? Clearly it should have never been allowing me to toggle it on in the first place due to having the wrong connection. But now I'm very worried that I screwed up my deck.
Any ideas? I submitted a ticket to Valve but I figured maybe someone here might have some advice.

I've also seen the VRR option selectable and then not. Please let us know what Valve says!

Oct 29, 2017
I've also seen the VRR option selectable and then not. Please let us know what Valve says!
I'll definitely update when I hear back from them. Just had an interesting realization though - apparently VRR is currently only supported using Display Port. Which would explain why its currently grayed out, but doesn't explain why it was previously toggle-able on my OLED and currently isn't when I dock my LCD Deck.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I'll definitely update when I hear back from them. Just had an interesting realization though - apparently VRR is currently only supported using Display Port. Which would explain why its currently grayed out, but doesn't explain why it wasn't previously and currently isn't when I dock my LCD Deck.

I am using a DisplayPort. My monitor supports G-Sync, shouldn't it support standard VRR?

Oct 29, 2017
I am using a DisplayPort. My monitor supports G-Sync, shouldn't it support standard VRR?
I'm not 100% sure but I think because Steam Deck isn't Nvidia based architecture, but AMD, that it might only support FreeSync? (I'm just guessing here) in either case, I think Valve only just recently rolled out the VRR function so my best guess is that it still has a lot of kinks to iron out.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
VRR over HDMI on the official dock is a total and complete mess after 3.5. It can work but most of the time it doesn't. Its not the fault of your cable or anything you are doing, its just not ready and Valve should have freaking disabled it in stable.

This is probably related to them wanting to get this feature working even though the Deck itself does not have the bandwith for full HDMI 2.1 support.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So I guess this doesn't happen much, but Steam really doesn't let you have one game playing on a device and play a separate game on another device?

Like I had my Steam Deck running a game in the background while it was downloading, and then I hopped on my PC to play a table in Pinball FX, and it told me I was already logged in on the Deck playing a game and it'd have to kick me out on the Deck to start up Pinball.

What the fuck year is this? I can play like 100 different games on Android and iDevices at a time, Steam really only allows you to play a single game at once?

Holy hell!

Ahah yeah this is a shame. Only solution I know of is to put Steam in offline mode on one of the devices; usually I just disable the Wi-Fi on the Deck, but I think "Start in Offline mode" on desktop Steam should work too

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
When you install decky loader nowadays it uses a temporary password, something like "decky". Can anyone remember precisely what it?
My install of Decky loader failed and it seems to have changed the password.