• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, had no idea that was required (I let Lutris itself download and install the Wine Runner which apparently doesn't work). Thanks a bunch!
Yeah, figuring out why the flatpak version of Lutris wasn't able to use wine was a major headache lol

Oh yeah, PSA for everybody: For god's sake, get flatseal and give your programs permission to access system files. You're going to need it if you want the software you download from the Discover store to be able to even see your MicroSD card. I learned that while trying to get GZDoom to work lol

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
h6q6Tbl.jpg

boogietime

Noticed my start button is sometimes getting caught now - indentation to its right mostly.
How does it run? Any hiccups?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, figuring out why the flatpak version of Lutris wasn't able to use wine was a major headache lol

Oh yeah, PSA for everybody: For god's sake, get flatseal and give your programs permission to access system files. You're going to need it if you want the software you download from the Discover store to be able to even see your MicroSD card. I learned that while trying to get GZDoom to work lol
By the way the game shortucts aren't appearing in the Application menu when I tell Lutris to generate them. Having a hard time figuring out how to add them to Steam, though I guess the Desktop shortcut ought to work.

Edit: Nope, that didn't work. "Target" and "Start in" were completely borked when adding it that way and I have no idea what it expects there.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017

You can also give certain programs access to only certain folders on your system for additional security if you're comfortable with the command line.

Bash:
flatpak override <package_name_here> --filesystem=<path_here>

Path Is self explanatory, but you might need to run "flatpak list" to see potential package names.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
You can also give certain programs access to only certain folders on your system for additional security if you're comfortable with the command line.

Bash:
flatpak override <package_name_here> --filesystem=<path_here>

Path Is self explanatory, but you might need to run "flatpak list" to see potential package names.
I believe you can add custom paths in flatseal, too.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
You made me check my status.

Went from "After Q2" to Q3 now. Which is the same thing but less vague. Woohoo

Gone from After Q2 to Q3. Hopefully it'll end up being closer to the start of July than the end of September.

Darn. I ordered mine last Friday and it was "After Q2". Now it says "After Q3".

I think we should divide the OT in two: one about mails and shipment and the other one about test - gameplay and guides... now it's a clusterf*#k ... (I'm saying that because I didn't receive any email today 😅 but stillQ1) could this request be taken into account... seriously?

Great idea, especially since there are many more of us waiting for the darn thing than actual people with one XD

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I think we should divide the OT in two: one about mails and shipment and the other one about test - gameplay and guides... now it's a clusterf*#k ... (I'm saying that because I didn't receive any email today 😅 but stillQ1) could this request be taken into account... seriously?
I think this is a great idea. I'd like for the shipping issues to be in a different thread, so the gameplay impressions aren't lost among all the posts wondering when their deck will ship.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
well this thing definitely is a linux machine!

After struggling to get Heroic Games Launcher set up, and getting Kingdom Hearts 3 and Stanely Parable working, Stanley Parable just randomly stopped working. And every new game I install also doesn't launch. GTAV installed the rockstar games launcher, but then refused to launch. Tried reinstalling Heroic, and now it won't accept my legendary binary and says its invalid. The same one. And now i says my wine install isn't valid and KH3 won't launch.

Might just give up on epic games on deck

OP
OP

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Darn. I ordered mine last Friday and it was "After Q2". Now it says "After Q3".

Great idea, especially since there are many more of us waiting for the darn thing than actual people with one XD
I think this is a great idea. I'd like for the shipping issues to be in a different thread, so the gameplay impressions aren't lost among all the posts wondering when their deck will ship.
Yeah I wanted to see if it gets alleviated a bit but it's still kinda hectic so I'll be making a Deck shipping thread now.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly starting to kinda hate that they made this thing read-only. It's infinitely frustrating not having full access to Linux and setting it to read/write seems entirely pointless if it's just going to get nuked with every update.

Order & Shipping Thread Notice
OP
OP

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Shipping & ordering thread has been created and can be found HERE

Those of you who have not received your decks yet are more than welcome to stay and chat and ask any questions you might have, but please keep all shipping & order updates to that thread.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
well this thing definitely is a linux machine!

After struggling to get Heroic Games Launcher set up, and getting Kingdom Hearts 3 and Stanely Parable working, Stanley Parable just randomly stopped working. And every new game I install also doesn't launch. GTAV installed the rockstar games launcher, but then refused to launch. Tried reinstalling Heroic, and now it won't accept my legendary binary and says its invalid. The same one. And now i says my wine install isn't valid and KH3 won't launch.

Might just give up on epic games on deck

On my linux desktop, I just use Legendary for the EGS, as it works well enough when you have a keyboard to easily launch games.

I'm going to patiently wait for the Steam Deck integrations to catch up (flatpak for heroic, better streamlining of this stuff) until I dive into anything outside of steam though. I'm glad folks are working on all of this and making the experience smoother.

Those of you who have not received your decks yet are more than welcome to stay and chat and ask any questions you might have, but please keep all shipping & order updates to that thread.

Thank you!

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
5Ghz Wifi doesn't drop at all on Windows 11, so thanksfully it has to be a software bug in Linux.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My wifi has been a lot more stable in recent days.

Before if I was moving big files back and forth I would have to retry/resume a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way the game shortucts aren't appearing in the Application menu when I tell Lutris to generate them. Having a hard time figuring out how to add them to Steam, though I guess the Desktop shortcut ought to work.

Edit: Nope, that didn't work. "Target" and "Start in" were completely borked when adding it that way and I have no idea what it expects there.
Holy moly I got it working. Needed to edit the .desktop file to run net.lutris.Lutris (aka the flatpak app) instead of lutris which the Lutris install script set up by default. Managed to start the game in the Steam UI and everything now, hooray! (I also let Lutris see my ~/ path, not sure if that actually did anything in this case).

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I thought they patched something for SteamOS so you could turn off wifi energy saving to stop that bug?

I was having that issue day 1 but it's no longer happening on my deck so I think it's fixed?

Yes, they added an option to disable the wifi power management but it hasn't change anything for me. The wifi is constantly dropping still. This isn't happening for me on Windows 11 for whatever reason.

That's good news. What about the fan? Did you notice any difference in its noise level?

Haven't tested enough yet, but i think that the fan doesn't ramp up in idle anymore. It's always at the same speed/noise on idle.

Another thing, the Steam Client sees the controller as a Dualshock 4. I don't know if i can customize the trackpads.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Yes, they added an option to disable the wifi power management but it hasn't change anything for me. The wifi is constantly dropping still. This isn't happening for me on Windows 11 for whatever reason.

Haven't tested enough yet, but i think that the fan doesn't ramp up in idle anymore. It's always at the same speed/noise on idle.
Hmm, that's encouraging. Some people theorized that the fan being so noisy in idle is a Linux issue that will be gone on Windows, which manages the fan better, and it seems they might be correct.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know which version of Proton you should use for Elden Ring? Has the Proton optimisations for Elden Ring been merged into the main branch or should you still use experimental bleeding edge or whatever it's called?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know which version of Proton you should use for Elden Ring? Has the Proton optimisations for Elden Ring been merged into the main branch or should you still use experimental bleeding edge or whatever it's called?
Experimental is still the way to go AFAIK, they haven't said anything about it being pushed to stable.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
so how difficult is it to get battlenet on this? Mine is still shipping, but I have been bookmarking videos on how to install all the different launchers

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so, I got Blade Runner (GOG) working, finally.

Here's what I did:
  1. Download the Windows installer + .bin file from my GOG account via web browser.
  2. Add the .exe installer as a non-Steam game, force Proton via Properties and run it. This should bring up the GOG installer.
  3. Change the install directory to something without spaces (I chose C:/gog/bladerunner/, changing this afterward did NOT work for me) then install the game.
  4. Navigate through /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata yada yada and find one of the folders with the largest number ID (non-Steam games tend to get extra digits added). Find the Launch Blade Runner.lnk file and rename it to LaunchBladeRunner.lnk (or whatever else probably) then right click and copy the file path. Leave the file browser open for later.
  5. Go back to the Steam library, enter the game's Properties and paste the path into the "target" field surrounded by double quotes. Do the same for the "start in" field except remove the LaunchBladeRunner.lnk part (so, it should end in /drive_c/gog/bladerunner/ or whatever you named the install folder).
  6. Go back to the file browser and open the project_nov.ini file. Under the [scummvm] section, add the line console=false. This is in order to make sure ScummVM doesn't render any extra window aside from the game itself, otherwise gamescope gets confused and in my case decided to focus the console window rather than the game (it might flicker between them instead in some cases).
  7. Make sure fullscreen=true is set otherwise the game has a hard time gaining mouse focus under gamescope (found this out the hard way, myself).
  8. Choose a mouse/keyboard Steam Input binding for the game and test if it all works under Desktop mode after these adjustments.
  9. Relog into the Steam UI and start the game. Double check the Steam Input binds are active and set them again if not.
Everything should work now!

TL DR; run a regular Windows installer via Proton, avoid having spaces in the game's installation directories and files, update the non-Steam Game properties to the "Launch" file GOG provides. Also make sure whatever game you're running doesn't render any extra windows in the background and probably set it to fullscreen.

Sheesh. Gonna have to try this with the other games that didn't work as well. The key adjustment in my case was eliminating spaces during installation. Something probably goes wrong for certain games if the paths are adjusted afterward.
Just a small note to add to this, you can move the whole numbered CODE file in compatdata to the SD card it it will run no problem. The game doesn't have to be in compatdata to run. I've tested this with the windows version of GOG Crosscode, so I can't be 100% certain that this is the same with every game, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with everything else.

Last edited:

Lithiume

Jul 17, 2021
Night #1 with the Deck.
First impressions are great.

Played a few arcade battles in Tekken 7.
Walked around a bit in trails of cold steel.
Played through the free Steam Deck game...

I did try to start up Elden Ring, but that wouldnt load. Maybe I was too impatient. Will try again in the weekend.

I just downloaded Black Mesa as that is the game i wish to start playing. Dont know if it works yet. I would like to try, but i have to get up early in the morning (damn responsibilities).

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Would running Destiny 2 through Windows on the Deck still constitute grounds for banning, according to Bungie?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
With the windows graphics drivers and such being out now, does that mean we can dual boot steam OS and windows? If I installed windows onto an SD card and kept the main deck's internal storage for Steam OS, would that work? Is there any easy way/option to switch between which drive boots at startup too?

jj70

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks a lot - I will use after placing my order to whine while waiting 😁 Meanwhile, why not starting in creating a guide of guides with all tutorials, suggestions for games (I mean suggested configuration), how to install X Launcher - Y Emulator - how to move a game from main pc steam to steam deck using which trick, and so on? 😅 I know I'm asking too much, perhaps... Question: in the discord in the first post, which is the section where to ask things - the steamdeck section?
Thanks...

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Any good comparisons on loading times between steam deck and PS5/series X? I'm so used to how quickly games load on my series X that I would like to know if steam deck is up to par. Haven't seen many comments on it so i guess it will be decent right?

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
Any good comparisons on loading times between steam deck and PS5/series X? I'm so used to how quickly games load on my series X that I would like to know if steam deck is up to par. Haven't seen many comments on it so i guess it will be decent right?

Yeah I think anecdotally I'd just call it what I expect from PC loading times (with an NVME). Having a reliable suspend mode that is pretty quick trumps any initial load time for me though!

Status
Not open for further replies.