• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I don't play in the pitch dark. There's always at least really low ambient lighting. I'm not saying anyone is going to mistake the LCD for OLED. Just that:

C1 >>>>> LCD @ 6500k >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LCD at OG setting set by a blind person.

Yup, I think the Deck got its rep of having one of the worst looking LCD screens in all history for a reason haha. Not many believed it to be a software reason at the time though, but so it was. I definitely enjoyed the LCD post update more, but still OLED all the way for me.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 already ran on Steam Deck, but it was listed as playable this whole time. Should be interesting to see what they did.

My guess, based on the current rating is they have either removed or added gamepad support to the launcher. And probably the part where you enter your name.

View: https://x.com/EmuDeck/status/1778095199434035406

Huh I wonder if save syncing will be coming to Emudeck and the Miyoo Mini. That would be pretty cool, these are the only two portables I play regularly now.

Yes. I heard that Onion OS and Emudeck are getting save sync support.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
So I got my deck and love it but the left stick makes a popping sound when I'm scrolling around the menus and and the USB c port at the top is tilted and not flush with the shell, which has cause my dock to lose signal.
If valve good about replacements? Just seems I got one with a few defects.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I continue to be on awe on how good Remote Play works on the Steam Deck. Currently playing Sea of Starts, but tried Jedi Survivor a while back and still worked incredible. I could have never guessed that it works this well.

I only wonder if this would have been the same for the official App, or this more thanks to Chiaki.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I continue to be on awe on how good Remote Play works on the Steam Deck. Currently playing Sea of Starts, but tried Jedi Survivor a while back and still worked incredible. I could have never guessed that it works this well.

I only wonder if this would have been the same for the official App, or this more thanks to Chiaki.

You follow any guides to get it there? I've never been able to make remote play more than a slideshow even with amazing internet.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
You follow any guides to get it there? I've never been able to make remote play more than a slideshow even with amazing internet.

No, that its the incredible thing. I only installed Chiaki4Deck, registered my PS5, set the bitrate at 30K (Which seems to be the recommended value) and I was ready to go. I even turned on HDR.

Even more amazing, my PS5 is on Wifi (that caps at 100mbs). I expected it to be a huge mess because my console was not wired, but its pretty flawless so far.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
hey guys

windows pc as host running sunshine

streaming desktop and games both, to oled SD, with SD running moonlight

works AMAZING< however, HDR (experimental) is greyed out on moonlight via SD OLED

Apart from the "appimage" fix i found via googling, is there any other way to stream games and desktop to my oled SD and use HDR?

The screen is so good and the quality of sunshine to moonlight streaming is honestly incredible, but its missing hdr :(
The current release version does not support HDR on Deck yet.
This nightly version does: https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-deck-ot2-episode-1-lcds-for-sale-here.785147/post-121141629

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Something over the past few months broke Model 2 emulation for me, it always crashes on start. It is hard to find solutions as most people are just referencing Emudeck :( Actually seem to be able to get it working in desktop mode but game mode still crashes.

Last edited:

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
I want to use my Deck as a second screen non-steam-game web browser, but when I wake it from sleep I get immediately signed out of Steam on my desktop pc while playing Dragon's Dogma 2. Is there a simple solution alternative to just alt-tabbing on my desktop or using desktop mode on my deck? I feel like I used to do this without problem but maybe not or it's a DRM thing

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten the Linux build of Driver 2 to work on the Steam Deck? I've tried installing the flatpak, but it won't launch.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
I want to use my Deck as a second screen non-steam-game web browser, but when I wake it from sleep I get immediately signed out of Steam on my desktop pc while playing Dragon's Dogma 2. Is there a simple solution alternative to just alt-tabbing on my desktop or using desktop mode on my deck? I feel like I used to do this without problem but maybe not or it's a DRM thing

Maybe add your Deck to your family on Steam Family Sharing?

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Just got a 27" LG OLED monitor, it's pretty cool. One thing that bothers me is that the Steam Deck forces HDR on the external display? It doesn't seem to switch to HDR as needed like the Steam Deck does. Am I missing something?

Also, I can't set it to 240Hz which the device supports. Should I use the highest refresh rate the Steam Deck appears to support for the external display? This appears to be 144Hz.

2 gifts from Huey

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Huey Huey!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Huey said:
Aye Steam Deck fam, both great Deck racing games - enjoy

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Inertial Drift - Won by Gray Gray (12 entries)
  • Steam Steam: art of rally - Won by Bill Gaitas Bill Gaitas (17 entries)

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
This is very strange and is not intended. I can do this without any issues. Does it only happen with DD2?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a 27" LG OLED monitor, it's pretty cool. One thing that bothers me is that the Steam Deck forces HDR on the external display? It doesn't seem to switch to HDR as needed like the Steam Deck does. Am I missing something?

Also, I can't set it to 240Hz which the device supports. Should I use the highest refresh rate the Steam Deck appears to support for the external display? This appears to be 144Hz.
Sounds like a bandwith issue. 1440p at 240Hz with HDR (30bit) might require HDMI 2.1

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
What do you guys find is the best way to play FPS on the deck? Im playing through Half Life 2 right now and apparently it does not have aim assist like the console version which is making it a bit of a chore to try and get through as the sticks are obviously wildly innacurate compared to a mouse. Is there anything I can do or just avoid playing FPSs on the system in the future?

russbus64

May 1, 2018
What do you guys find is the best way to play FPS on the deck? Im playing through Half Life 2 right now and apparently it does not have aim assist like the console version which is making it a bit of a chore to try and get through as the sticks are obviously wildly innacurate compared to a mouse. Is there anything I can do or just avoid playing FPSs on the system in the future?
Doesn't HL2 have gyro enabled by default? I find that when it's well calibrated, gyro can help fill the gap left behind by controller sticks.

AnnoySumo

Oct 25, 2017
Get used to the trackpads. They are the next best thing to a mouse.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Doesn't HL2 have gyro enabled by default? I find that when it's well calibrated, gyro can help fill the gap left behind by controller sticks.

Would I calibrate it in game or is that in the options menu in general?

Get used to the trackpads. They are the next best thing to a mouse.

This is what I'm already doing and I'm still finding it tough. The airboat section in particular was an absolute nightmare as I had to juggle using both stick to drive and the track pad to aim as well as both triggers to move forward and shoot. Only way I could get by the helicopter boss fight was to literally stop the boat and face the chopper so I could aim and fire. Still took me like 30 minutes.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the trackpads are a hundred times better than the analog sticks.

Beat Doom Eternal and you'll be able to play anything with them. But you need to adjust sensitivity to match your comfort. From what I've played of Doom 2016 on the Deck, I don't think I used the analog sticks at all. And comparing controls (and framerate) to the controls on Switch, the Deck is instantly playable vs the Switch which for someone who doesn't do many FPS on sticks felt terrible.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Would I calibrate it in game or is that in the options menu in general?

This is what I'm already doing and I'm still finding it tough. The airboat section in particular was an absolute nightmare as I had to juggle using both stick to drive and the track pad to aim as well as both triggers to move forward and shoot. Only way I could get by the helicopter boss fight was to literally stop the boat and face the chopper so I could aim and fire. Still took me like 30 minutes.

Are you used to playing with sticks? If you're already semi-competent with them, maybe just use sticks and gyro first? Then when you're used to supplementing with the gyro, switch to gyro and trackpad?

Can't say I've tried playing HL2 on the Deck. Maybe it's just really difficult.

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
This is very strange and is not intended. I can do this without any issues. Does it only happen with DD2?
I think it's intended. Just tried updating chrome, rebooting everything, then playing a unity game. Still get signed out of desktop PC Steam when waking Deck from sleep into a non-steam-game Chrome

nded

Nov 14, 2017
For most FPS/TPS games I do broad camera movements on the analog stick and fine aim adjustment with the gyro. I believe Half Life 2 has has native gyroscope support but you might need to bring up the overlay and enable it under the controller/Steam Input settings.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Are you used to playing with sticks? If you're already semi-competent with them, maybe just use sticks and gyro first? Then when you're used to supplementing with the gyro, switch to gyro and trackpad?

Can't say I've tried playing HL2 on the Deck. Maybe it's just really difficult.

I can for sure play other genres with sticks but all the FPSs I play are on PC because the mouse is just objectively better for them. In hindsight Half Life 2 probably wasn't the best first game to try on my deck haha.

Unfortunately I don't have my Deck on me at this moment but I know there's a Steam Input option in the in-game settings. Most likely would be tweaked there or in the OS input settings.

For most FPS/TPS games I do broad camera movements on the analog stick and fine aim adjustment with the gyro. I believe Half Life 2 has has native gyroscope support but you might need to bring up the overlay and enable it under the controller/Steam Input settings.

Ok I'll try the gyro support to see if it helps

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
I had the most annoying issue. Whenever I started the deck back up from sleep the controls wouldn't work in game. I could hear it moving around and selecting things in steam OS in the background, and could open the steam menu, but nothing worked in game. Luckily, some one on reddit said turning off "start up movie on wake" would fix it. And it did. Baffling that issue hasn't been caught.

In my experience, yes.

All units will have varying degrees of quirks. I don't think there is a "perfect" Deck out there. Your issues do sound more problematic than the usual.
I might have been exaggerating the issue with the sticks. I notice almost every other controller I have does it. They're just quieter which I think comes from use. And the USB might have just been my dock even if it looks funky. I sent it back to amazon for a replacement.

19 gifts from FLX-II

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 19 gifts from FLX-II FLX-II!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

FLX-II said:

• Steam Steam: WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship - Won by Footos22 Footos22 (3 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Circuit Superstars - Won by Miker Miker (3 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Inertial Drift - Won by Chilikar (4 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Art of rally - Won by russbus64 russbus64 (7 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG - Won by Gevin Gevin (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: BLACKHOLE - Won by TheTrain (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Iron Danger
  • Steam Steam: Rubber Bandits - Won by Jazzem Jazzem (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Castle On The Coast
  • Steam Steam: They Always Run - Won by Protagonist Protagonist (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Farabel - Won by Ingueferroque Ingueferroque (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: SONG OF HORROR COMPLETE EDITION - Won by Res-bot Res-bot (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Havsala: Into the Soul Palace - Won by .exe .exe (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: The Enchanted Cave 2
  • Steam Steam: Alien Rampage
  • Steam Steam: Creepy Tale 2
  • Steam Steam: SINNER: Sacrifice for Redemption - Won by Rakuyo Rakuyo (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: White Noise Online
  • Steam Steam: Smoke And Sacrifice - Won by BreakAtmo BreakAtmo (2 entries)

1 gift from FLX-II

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from FLX-II FLX-II!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

FLX-II said:

• Steam Steam: WRC 10 FIA World Rally Championship - Won by jon bones jon bones (8 entries)

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I had the most annoying issue. Whenever I started the deck back up from sleep the controls wouldn't work in game. I could hear it moving around and selecting things in steam OS in the background, and could open the steam menu, but nothing worked in game. Luckily, some one on reddit said turning off "start up movie on wake" would fix it. And it did. Baffling that issue hasn't been caught.

I might have been exaggerating the issue with the sticks. I notice almost every other controller I have does it. They're just quieter which I think comes from use. And the USB might have just been my dock even if it looks funky. I sent it back to amazon for a replacement.

I occasionally get the issue where the controls don't seem to work in game after waking up the deck. Backing out to the OS via the Steam button and selecting resume game on the game you're playing usually fixes it for me.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
I occasionally get the issue where the controls don't seem to work in game after waking up the deck. Backing out to the OS via the Steam button and selecting resume game on the game you're playing usually fixes it for me.
Yeah, I tried that and didn't work.
I think the wake movie was triggering steam OS as active window even though it was showing me the game. Fixed for now at least.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Has anyone else had motion sickness trouble with the deck and know a solution? for some reason even indie 2D stuff like Dead Cells and Moonlighter makes me feel super sick quite quickly, something that doesn't happen to me on a normal pc monitor or TV screen (and didn't even on a Rog ally)

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
Has anyone else had motion sickness trouble with the deck and know a solution? for some reason even indie 2D stuff like Dead Cells and Moonlighter makes me feel super sick quite quickly, something that doesn't happen to me on a normal pc monitor or TV screen (and didn't even on a Rog ally)
If you have an OLED you may be sensitive to Pulse Width Modulation (PWM).

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
No, I have LCD. I've read that turning the brightness up helps some people but maybe that was referring to the OLED (I think it made me feel even worse :/ )
Sorry to hear that.

I don't suffer from motion sickness, but sometimes do feel uncomfortable (headache, a bit queasy) when playing on the Deck. What helps me is having the Steam Deck up pretty high while gaming (sitting on the couch with my legs tucked high and using it as a platform for the deck) so I don't have to look down. Avoiding any reflections or bright lights in my periferal vision also helps.

It might just be the resolution of the screen. When I'm tired my eyes have a harder time staying focussed and the small screen doesn't help. Maybe writing down instances when you start feeling sick might help to figure out what's causing it.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
Sorry to hear that.

I don't suffer from motion sickness, but sometimes do feel uncomfortable (headache, a bit queasy) when playing on the Deck. What helps me is having the Steam Deck up pretty high while gaming (sitting on the couch with my legs tucked high and using it as a platform for the deck) so I don't have to look down. Avoiding any reflections or bright lights in my periferal vision also helps.

It might just be the resolution of the screen. When I'm tired my eyes have a harder time staying focussed and the small screen doesn't help. Maybe writing down instances when you start feeling sick might help to figure out what's causing it.
Headache and queasiness is what I'm getting - I think I'm maybe wrongly calling it motion sickness cos it feels just like when I play something with a super low FOV and no cross hair on my desktop. Also I am absolutely exhausted this week so tired eyes might be a factor. I'll try changing my posture, thanks.

I do get the feeling though that I am in denial about this not working for me no matter what cos I love the thing so much :(

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to have the search box clear automatically after you've used it? So many times I've gone back to use it after a few days and what I searched for last is still in the text box, I don't notice and then spend a few seconds wondering why my new search isn't working, and then have to go back and clear the text box manually.

Very minor gripe and mildly annoying.