• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
I really wish Microsoft bringing Game Pass on Steam Deck natively.
Yes!

How hard is it to install dual boot windows from a SD card? I don't want to mess with the internal SSD but would like to play MSFS and other gamepass only games without having to buy them on Steam.

I saw DF got MSFS running pretty well.

youtu.be

Steam Deck vs Next-Gen Gaming: Ray Tracing/Flight Simulator/Unreal Engine 5 + More Tested!

We've tested Steam Deck against PlayStation 4 - and we came away impressed. However, the RDNA 2 GPU within the Deck contains features that last-gen consoles ...

Edit: Looks like I have to wait for them to get audio and wifi drivers for OLED anyways

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Audio drivers for Windows on Steam Deck OLED are currently being worked on, and will be available soon.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
EmuDeck is so awesome that more and more of my storage gets devoted to retro gaming every day. I have a Terabyte SD card and three quarters of it is already EmuDeck.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Haha holy shit.

My 3rd RMA has returned. And I immediately noticed the right trigger is fucking broken. It most certainly wasn't when I sent it in. Oh my god.

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
For everyone that has swapped their storage drive, did you all start back fresh and reinstall your games or clone your drive before swapping? I got a bigger drive that I want to swap to but not sure what route to go. My home internet is pretty good so I think I'm okay with re-downloading the games I want. I guess I also need to get an NVMe enclosure or whatever to do the cloning process from what I've read.

The more I type this out, the more I'm convincing myself to just start fresh after getting the new drive installed.

Also, how easy was it to swap over that heat shield wrap or whatever it is? I have an LED model so I've read that it's a little harder to get off?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
For everyone that has swapped their storage drive, did you all start back fresh and reinstall your games or clone your drive before swapping? I got a bigger drive that I want to swap to but not sure what route to go. My home internet is pretty good so I think I'm okay with re-downloading the games I want. I guess I also need to get an NVMe enclosure or whatever to do the cloning process from what I've read.

The more I type this out, the more I'm convincing myself to just start fresh after getting the new drive installed.

Also, how easy was it to swap over that heat shield wrap or whatever it is? I have an LED model so I've read that it's a little harder to get off?

I went from 256 to 1TB. I tried cloning it with some software. It claimed it was cloned. But it didn't. So I just re-wiped it and did a fresh install. It was probably for the best anyways. I good fresh wipe is always good.

I thought the shielding wrap was fairly simple. This was also with the LCD model. Take your time and there really shouldn't be much of an issue.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here play Bzzzt? It's this adorable little reflex platformer, that released a while back on Steam and there's this issue where some of us playing it, can't get audio through the headphones, without using annoying work arounds, but on the developer's end it works perfectly normal.

I know the question is very specific and probably impossible to answer, but just wanted to know if someone here had encountered a similar issue either in Bzzzt or another game? Where the game switches away from the headphones and only uses the system speakers.

I posted a video on Steam forums showing the issue:

steamcommunity.com

No audio on steam deck with latest release :: BZZZT Bzzzt

Completed the game before the 1.1 release, so good. Audio was working. After the 1.1.0 release I installed it again to try the challenge levels, but audio doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: Huh, the developer just found a way to fix it. Nice :)

Last edited:

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
No, I have LCD. I've read that turning the brightness up helps some people but maybe that was referring to the OLED (I think it made me feel even worse :/ )

The LCD is slow/blurry as fuck. Its like from a decade ago motion blur. That could legit make you sick.

OLED does bring PMW with it which bothers some people, but the motion clarity is miles better.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
The LCD is slow/blurry as fuck. Its like from a decade ago motion blur. That could legit make you sick.

OLED does bring PMW with it which bothers some people, but the motion clarity is miles better.
Cool, yeah this seems to be the cause, as I'm OK with anything else I've used at this form factor, at least I hope it is. Also a good excuse to RMA this Deck and get myself an OLED :D

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023

the LCD is so bad, man. it literally made me sell my deck and i wasn't going to rebuy until they announced the OLED. shit is legitimately a mid 10s budget tablet screen

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
No, I just mean that rebooting is annoying when it suddenly makes me download updates for ~100 games.

Go into desktop mode, and into the Steam client's settings and turn off Shader Pre Caching.

This will fix your issue. No more hundreds of downloads on reboot. (I have a lot of games installed) And I haven't noticed any issues in my game performance.

Valve needs to make this the default behavior, or let us change this setting from within game mode. Ideally I'd like to change these things on a per-game basis. Let me toggle this behavior, see the size of the stored cache, and manually update the cache at any time in each game's library view.

Last edited:

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
I've been playing it docked (Official Dock) recently - and it wasn't giving me any audio over HDMI. I had to go into desktop mode, audio settings, and check on the audio hardware that controlled HDMI sound - boom, beautiful surround sound.

That option should be accessible in game mode. But furthermore, the issue shouldn't exist. I have a 'clean' Deck - no beta firmware, no Decky, wasn't doing any tinkering.. how is Valve not able to detect that this is toggled off and fix it in a firmware update? I looked it up and found several threads across the internet of people with the same issue.

Similar to the shader pre-caching behaviour - which is a game breaking issue if you have a large library - I really hope they improve this in the future.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine why you'd disable shader caching - one of the Deck's big advantages over similar devices - when you can ignore the downloads.
Is it some kind of "ocd" thing for you that makes you sit there and wait for all the cache updates for games you aren't trying to play?

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
I can't imagine why you'd disable shader caching - one of the Deck's big advantages over similar devices - when you can ignore the downloads.
Is it some kind of "ocd" thing for you that makes you sit there and wait for all the cache updates for games you aren't trying to play?

I haven't noticed any drawbacks in my performance. You will still download needed cache files when you launch a game.

I have a large library, and many games installed - my Steam Deck already takes a looong time to 'start up' due to this - the many downloads I get on each reboot becomes unmanageable. Especially when traveling.

Not sure why OCD is being thrown at me? (Also, I do get worried about the health of my storage if the thing is downloading hundreds of updates whenever I turn it on. Especially for MicroSD which can be argued is already not extremely suited for large game installs/data streaming)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't noticed any drawbacks in my performance. You will still download needed cache files when you launch a game.
I have a large library, and many games installed - my Steam Deck already takes a looong time to 'start up' due to this - the many downloads I get on each reboot becomes unmanageable. Especially when traveling.
Not sure why OCD is being thrown at me?
Well I'm not sure what you mean by saying the Deck takes a long time to start up as a result.
I just ignore the cache updates in the download queue and start playing something. It doesn't force me to wait.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Well I'm not sure what you mean by saying the Deck takes a long time to start up as a result.
I just ignore the cache updates in the download queue and start playing something. It doesn't force me to wait.

I have been in situations where I was on a tethered mobile connection, and my Steam Deck's default behavior when launching a game was to first download the cache update if available.

I tend to not use offline mode when I can avoid it, because <pet peeve> it will invalidate the timestamps on your steam achievements when they get uploaded.

I just want Valve to make this process smarter - maybe only serve me shader pre-cache updates when I'm on my home network - or only for selected games - or only for games that have been launched in the last 30 days. I also don't like that these updates come through looking like game updates, they should have a little label saying it is a shader pre-cache update and not a game update. (Though I'm not too sure on this behavior as I've had them turned off for months now)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have been in situations where I was on a tethered mobile connection, and my Steam Deck's default behavior when launching a game was to first download the cache update if available.
I tend to not use offline mode when I can avoid it, because <pet peeve> it will invalidate the timestamps on your steam achievements when they get uploaded.
Oh, okay. It makes sense now that you explained your issue is when using the Deck tethered to your phone to stay online.
Mine is only ever connected to WiFi when it's "online."

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
Still plenty of games to claim on the previous page! They're just for grabs!

Currently going through Hyper Light Drifter, and it just pops on the OLED. What a beautiful little game.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Oh, okay. It makes sense now that you explained your issue is when using the Deck tethered to your phone to stay online.
Mine is only ever connected to WiFi when it's "online."

It is a mobile device so I use it tethered a lot. Even on a fast 5G connection, the shader pre-cache situation is an issue.

(There's also some games with rather large shader pre-cache file sizes, I believe that could be caused by Valve going in and re-uploading pre-rendered videos due to video codec licensing issues.)

Currently going through Hyper Light Drifter, and it just pops on the OLED. What a beautiful little game.

Thanks for Farabel!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Picked Havsala. Looks like a well-made little puzzle game!

I downloaded HLD recently with the idea of playing the other character. I need to edit my old save to get it to read on the Deck first though. I'd really like it if the dev fixed those hardware-coded saves and implemented cloud.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
How do I map [Key A] + [Key B] + [Key C] to a single button press (ie. R5)?
Use the "add subcommand" feature in Steam Input (gear icon next to whatever button you're going to remap to). That can be used to do any simultaneous inputs you want, particularly useful for stuff like Alt+Enter etc.

1 gift from Gevin

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Gevin Gevin!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Gevin said:
This is region locked but I'm not sure exactly for which region, it doesn't seem to work in LATAM. Please thank @FLX-II

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG - Won by Laephis Laephis (9 entries)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
finally bought a Dock now that i have a decent monitor

1440p , 120 hz with a bunch of VRR options

what are some good docked experiences for the Deck?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've been playing it docked (Official Dock) recently - and it wasn't giving me any audio over HDMI. I had to go into desktop mode, audio settings, and check on the audio hardware that controlled HDMI sound - boom, beautiful surround sound.

That option should be accessible in game mode. But furthermore, the issue shouldn't exist. I have a 'clean' Deck - no beta firmware, no Decky, wasn't doing any tinkering.. how is Valve not able to detect that this is toggled off and fix it in a firmware update? I looked it up and found several threads across the internet of people with the same issue.

Similar to the shader pre-caching behaviour - which is a game breaking issue if you have a large library - I really hope they improve this in the future.
Yeah, I completely agree. Steam Deck is really great in a lot of ways, and probably the closest thing you can get to a "Console" style experience with PC gaming, I feel. But there are definitely a lot of things that can be improved. Shader pre-caching should be an option you can toggle in Game Mode, and really nothing related to the Deck's basic functions should require going into Desktop.

Also, while playing Docked, I didn't have any issues with audio, but I did with video quality. It looked absolutely horrific out of the box, with dull colors and crushed blacks. It turns out that the Deck basically just can't tell your display that it's displaying Full RGB, so if you have RGB settings set to Auto (which is what virtually all TV's will default to), you'll have to go into your TV settings to change it. Many TV's don't label these settings as RGB either (on my old set, it was Standard and Nonstandard). I had to go Googling because I'd never run into anything like this before. Even a basic $300 laptop I bought from Wal-Mart awhile back didn't have this issue. Steam Deck is really a fantastic platform overall, but there are definitely a few bizarre oversights and issues.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
finally bought a Dock now that i have a decent monitor

1440p , 120 hz with a bunch of VRR options

what are some good docked experiences for the Deck?

To get those specs - 1440p & 120hz, from the Deck you need indie games like Kingdom Rush, etc. Or games from the PS360 gen (or better yet, PS2/Gamecube era). You can probably squeak ~90hz and with the VRR it should be pretty great out of stuff like Doom and other games that released during the PS3 era.

Hopefully your dock supports VRR as well, not all of them do.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To get those specs - 1440p & 120hz, from the Deck you need indie games like Kingdom Rush, etc. Or games from the PS360 gen (or better yet, PS2/Gamecube era). You can probably squeak ~90hz and with the VRR it should be pretty great out of stuff like Doom and other games that released during the PS3 era.

Hopefully your dock supports VRR as well, not all of them do.

I have an official dock, so VRR via DP should be good to go out the box.

I know I'm not hitting 1440p / 120 hz. I'm more interested in 60fps and some kind of decent resolution (is 720 scaled up to 1440 going to look crazy?)

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I have an official dock, so VRR via DP should be good to go out the box.

I know I'm not hitting 1440p / 120 hz. I'm more interested in 60fps and some kind of decent resolution (is 720 scaled up to 1440 going to look crazy?)

Yeah, but still, there's so many incredible older games, it may not be the worst place to start. Something like Age of Empires 2 or StarCraft 1 or whatever could easily provide 100 hours a pop if you haven't played them, and run at 1440p or whatever, baring compatibility issues. I dunno, I definitely think retro gaming is under-appreciated. The games by in large hold up incredibly.

But yeah, newer stuff that's not pressing like Alan Wake 2 - such as Sea of Stars or Star Ocean the Second Story R etc would be the way to go IMO. Persona 5 Royal is another one that goes great with the Deck (along with many other 2D-HD games like Octopath 1/2, Live-a-Live, Triangle Strategy, Tactics Ogre Reborn, etc).

Alternatively, I also recommend combing through the entirety of the 4/5 star reviews from SteamDeckHQ as those games generally run at 60fps and can be pushed further (because they prefer to review games as the Deck being a portable system peaking around 15W). Sure it takes an hour or so, but you'll like come out with 20+ games to play that should all run great.

Last edited:

Ronan_Berthelot

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Deadly Premonition 2, hope it runs well on Deck (but not sure it runs well on any hardware, judging by the first one) !

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Geometry Survivors looks great on the OLED!
It's a survivors twist on Geometry Wars type of games.

It looks absolutely wonderful and plays super smooth.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2489010/Geometry_Survivor/

Looks great alright. Plays very similar to a lot of the less good survivor Knock offs. Could be great after a few more patches though, just needs to feel more kinetic.

Edit: FLX-II Actually after a couple more runs thís has clicked a lot more. The survivor template gels very well with Geometry Wars, so much so that it feels like it could be a mode in GW2, geoms and all. The sound of that quad lazer blends so well with the music, later levels really scratch that Geometry Wars itch (lack of shooting with ríght stick aside)

Last edited:

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get an OLED. I have a 64 GB LCD with a 512 SD card, and I use it all the time. I could wait a year for an upgrade via a new steam deck model, but I think it might not happen until as late as 2026. I didn't realize that there were so many upgrades in the OLED! I'm going to sell my 3060 laptop and current steam deck, and that should more than cover it.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Thank you for Rubber Bandits FLX-II !!! Very generous giveaway!

How is Helldivers 2 on Steamdeck currently?

You can get it to a pretty reasonable 30fps 🙂 though you will notice traversal stutters and you will get drops when fights get especially hectic

I think it'd be good for bitesized sessions on the easier difficulties. The excellent analog sticks and gyro do help

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
Yup, I think the Deck got its rep of having one of the worst looking LCD screens in all history for a reason haha. Not many believed it to be a software reason at the time though, but so it was. I definitely enjoyed the LCD post update more, but still OLED all the way for me.

I remember the original Nintendo DS had a really bad LCD, the ghosting was especially noticeable when played in the dark

16 gifts from Miker

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 16 gifts from Miker Miker!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Miker said:
It's not much, but here's some extra stuff that I've had laying around.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Renegade Ops Collection - Won by monstrousvermin monstrousvermin (3 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Sonic Adventure DX - Won by Feenix (4 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Sonic Adventure DX - Won by Rakuyo Rakuyo (4 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Won by Secret Bambino Secret Bambino (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Finding Paradise - Won by Gray Gray (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Aliens vs Predator Collection - Won by MrFarenheit MrFarenheit (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Sonic Adventure 2 - Won by neoak neoak (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Gucamelee! Gold Edition - Won by jon bones jon bones (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: F.E.A.R. 3 - Won by mauaus mauaus (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Gish - Won by Freewheelin Freewheelin (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Vessel, Torchlight, Rochard, S.P.A.Z., and Shatter - Won by Sword Familiar Sword Familiar (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, - Won by Leeway Leeway (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Samorost 2 - Won by Huey Huey (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Samorost 2 - Won by Cassius Bright Cassius Bright (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Samorost 2
  • Steam Steam: Superliminal - Won by guybrushfreeman guybrushfreeman (3 entries)