• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for Rubber Bandits FLX-II !!! Very generous giveaway!

You can get it to a pretty reasonable 30fps 🙂 though you will notice traversal stutters and you will get drops when fights get especially hectic

I think it'd be good for bitesized sessions on the easier difficulties. The excellent analog sticks and gyro do help
Thank you for the response.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon my Steam Deck has a good chance of being THE platform for me this year lol. Between my Clone Hero and DJMAX fixations, Ive found that due to longer console games (aka my 170+ hour run on Yakuza 8 that never ends) Ive been playing way more indie games, and SD is the perfect place for them. Cant help but recommend Minishoot Adventures as an amazing cross between a top down Zelda/Metroidvania + bullet hell type games. I only just started it the other night and Ive already put 10 hours into it and have cleared both the normal and true endings... Also, Lone Fungus is another terrific MV game, feels a lot like Hollow Knight at first but the platforming gets even better after the first couple of powers you get.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Miker That's a great giveaway!

It pales in comparison to your giveaways but hopefully somebody gets something out of it.

Is anybody playing Circuit Superstars on the Deck? Just what is going on with the vsync and framepacing? There's no vsync option, only a "refresh rate," but it seems like changing that also changes the framerate cap????? It's bizarre.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
Look what you guys did. Read a couple days on here and just placed an order for a 512 GB Oled SD….
Before getting stuck here, had no interest in the SD whatsoever.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So far I've been using chiaki and it's been wonderful on the OLED making use of the HDR.

I've set up Moonlight and Sunshine too but for some reason I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the HDR to work on the deck, for some reason it's greyed out in the settings and I'm unable to select it. It streams just fine to the deck but because it's in hdr on my PC it looks washed out on the deck.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So far I've been using chiaki and it's been wonderful on the OLED making use of the HDR.

I've set up Moonlight and Sunshine too but for some reason I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the HDR to work on the deck, for some reason it's greyed out in the settings and I'm unable to select it. It streams just fine to the deck but because it's in hdr on my PC so it looks washed out on the deck.
I think you need to use a special test build of Moonlight.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I was one of the OLED LE day 1 crowd, and I absolutely love it, but my X/B buttons on occasion would get stuck for half a split second. At first, I thought it's no big deal, but it became increasingly frustrating when play twitchy action games (e.g., I'm playing the fantastic Astral Ascent and struggling a bit).

Would something like this warrant a RMA? Am I still under warranty? Would Valve even help or tell me to get over it?

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
Just got the OLED. Had to file down the left side casing due to the left trigger rubbing against the plastic and sticking. Otherwise this thing is amazing. Using chiaki has been flawless and looks incredible in HDR. The display compares favorably to my calibrated LG C1 OLED

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the OLED LE day 1 crowd, and I absolutely love it, but my X/B buttons on occasion would get stuck for half a split second. At first, I thought it's no big deal, but it became increasingly frustrating when play twitchy action games (e.g., I'm playing the fantastic Astral Ascent and struggling a bit).

Would something like this warrant a RMA? Am I still under warranty? Would Valve even help or tell me to get over it?

I dunno how Valve would react

Mine had that issue, I fixed it by taking a small exacto knife and wiggling it around where the button was sticking

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
With valve still seeming to replace RMA requests with other RMA'd units, for small nitpicks I would take matters into your own hands. You're likely to get an even worse unit from them otherwise.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

I've set up Moonlight and Sunshine too but for some reason I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the HDR to work on the deck, for some reason it's greyed out in the settings and I'm unable to select it. It streams just fine to the deck but because it's in hdr on my PC it looks washed out on the deck.
You can start at step 3:
www.resetera.com

Steam Deck |OT2 Episode 1| LCDs for Sale here Valve - OT

Steam Link mostly "just works" but it does not currently stream in HDR. HDR streaming is a bit more involved, because you have to run Sunshine/Moonlight, and a custom build of Moonlight at that. Install the latest version of Sunshine (sunshine-windows-installer.exe) on your PC and restart it...

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I've fallen down the WiiU emulation rabbit hole; it just works too well. The games are pretty big in some cases so I'm probably going to have to pick up a second card for my Steam games to reside on and switch between that and my EmuDeck card as needed.

My only concern here is the wear and tear on the spring and mechanisms of the card slot. Has anyone heard of the LCD Steam Deck's card slot being in any way prone to damage through heavy use? Or does it share the same excellent build quality as the rest of the device?

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone with a VITA 1000 and an OLED Deck (glossy or etched glass model) comment on how the screens compare?

I'm trying to decide between the 512 and 1TB OLED Decks, and am wondering about the intensity of the Deck's screen reflections, using my VITA as a reference. Is the glossy Deck screen better or worse than the VITA screen? How does the etched glass version compare to the VITA?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone with a VITA 1000 and an OLED Deck (glossy or etched glass model) comment on how the screens compare?

I'm trying to decide between the 512 and 1TB OLED Decks, and am wondering about the intensity of the Deck's screen reflections, using my VITA as a reference. Is the glossy Deck screen better or worse than the VITA screen? How does the etched glass version compare to the VITA?
Absolutely no contest in Deck's favor.

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
I reckon my Steam Deck has a good chance of being THE platform for me this year lol. Between my Clone Hero and DJMAX fixations, Ive found that due to longer console games (aka my 170+ hour run on Yakuza 8 that never ends) Ive been playing way more indie games, and SD is the perfect place for them. Cant help but recommend Minishoot Adventures as an amazing cross between a top down Zelda/Metroidvania + bullet hell type games. I only just started it the other night and Ive already put 10 hours into it and have cleared both the normal and true endings... Also, Lone Fungus is another terrific MV game, feels a lot like Hollow Knight at first but the platforming gets even better after the first couple of powers you get.

I can vouch for it, Minishoot Adventures is amazing.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634860/Minishoot_Adventures/

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

They are generations apart.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Thanks Miker, Wizorb will be a perfect Deck game for me!

Also totally meant to thank you nded for Beyond the Frame earlier in the thread. Beautiful game, it was the perfect chill Sunday morning experience.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen both in person before buying and I honestly don't know what people are talking about with "there's no difference"

I'm annoyingly pedantic about displays. Like so so so annoyingly so where it's cost me a lot of money in my lifetime.

The 1tb screen is fine. Great even. And much better than the vita. But the "washed out blacks when light hits the screen" is absolutely a thing and I noticed it immediately.

Now again i am pedantic as fuck about this shit, so ymmv, but for me the gloss was the instant choice once I used both for a short while before buying.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Had trouble joining online in Forza Horizon 4, so I tried to log out ok the main menu, and now the game won't let me log back in, thanks Microsoft!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally sold my LCD Deck, I've had it since the OLED came out but I just never got around to selling it until yesterday.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Miker !
Looking forward to playing fear 3
so it was you

NOTSUREIF.jpg

(just jokes, enjoy)

Thanks for Samorost 2, Miker. Still some copies up for immediate grabs too

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I've seen both in person before buying and I honestly don't know what people are talking about with "there's no difference"

I'm annoyingly pedantic about displays. Like so so so annoyingly so where it's cost me a lot of money in my lifetime.

The 1tb screen is fine. Great even. And much better than the vita. But the "washed out blacks when light hits the screen" is absolutely a thing and I noticed it immediately.
Because they're not washed out blacks. The blacks are still just as black as on the reflective screen until you point a light source at it. You're just seeing diffuse reflections of light on the screen, rather than a big yellow bulb reflected in it. It's just more noticable on black backgrounds for obvious reasons. Just like your big light reflection is more noticeable on dark screens than on bright colors.

So yeah, there really isn't much of a difference outside of that fact. You're either okay with reflections while not having to worry about diffusions, or you're okay with having a bit of diffusions so you don't have to deal with the reflections. Pick whichever option is better for you.

Last edited:

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely no contest in Deck's favor.

They are generations apart.

Now again i am pedantic as fuck about this shit, so ymmv, but for me the gloss was the instant choice once I used both for a short while before buying.

Because they're not washed out blacks. The blacks are still just as black as on the reflective screen until you point a light source at it. You're just seeing diffuse reflections of light on the screen, rather than a big yellow bulb reflected in it. It's just more noticable on black backgrounds for obvious reasons. Just like you're big light reflection is more noticeable on dark screens than on bright colors.

So yeah, there really isn't much of a difference outside of that fact. You're either okay with reflections while not having to worry about diffusions, or you're okay with having a bit of diffusions so you don't have to deal with the reflections. Pick whichever option is better for you.
Thanks to all for the input! After inquiring elsewhere, it turns out a friend recently purchased an OLED Deck, so I will have a chance to see at least one of the screen types to make a more informed decision.

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're not washed out blacks. The blacks are still just as black as on the reflective screen until you point a light source at it. You're just seeing diffuse reflections of light on the screen, rather than a big yellow bulb reflected in it. It's just more noticable on black backgrounds for obvious reasons. Just like you're big light reflection is more noticeable on dark screens than on bright colors.

i know-everything what you said is "fact", but what my eyes see are "not as deep a blacks as the 512gb oled steam deck"

its the same when i checked out these new oled monitors with these coatings they use-yes, the contrast ratio is still technically specifically infinite or whatever oleds are, but they dont *look* it with the coating

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Forgot how fun and frustrating Tomb Raider Legend can be. I'll have to try LaraTX because wow some of those texture issues are obnoxious.

1 gift from Tarnished

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Tarnished Tarnished!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Thanks to all for the input! After inquiring elsewhere, it turns out a friend recently purchased an OLED Deck, so I will have a chance to see at least one of the screen types to make a more informed decision.

I personally have an etched OLED and think it looks incredible. To me it is important that I don't see clear reflections on my screen because I play it a lot outside, this is why I went etched.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
Man, took a while but managed to get Tale of Two Wastelands running on the Deck. Took less time to set it up than the now dead modlist I used for Skyrim back in December.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I use the handhelds around the house the same places I use my smartphone - so guess I'm fine with glossy, never caused me issues on my phone, and that is basically a mirror, sometimes if it's angled just right I can actually fully watch a TV show's reflection on the phone instead of the TV and take in just about all the details perfectly haha.

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
I personally have an etched OLED and think it looks incredible. To me it is important that I don't see clear reflections on my screen because I play it a lot outside, this is why I went etched.
Thanks for your input.

My VITA got a lot of use in my public transportation days, and the glare and reflections were very distracting in the mornings and winter evenings, which is why I initially gravitated towards the etched screen. However, I don't think I would be using a Deck outside as often as I used my VITA outside. I also got a look at the glossy screen on a 512 Deck today, and I liked what I saw, so I think I will save a few bucks and get a 512.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your input.

My VITA got a lot of use in my public transportation days, and the glare and reflections were very distracting in the mornings and winter evenings, which is why I initially gravitated towards the etched screen. However, I don't think I would be using a Deck outside as often as I used my VITA outside. I also got a look at the glossy screen on a 512 Deck today, and I liked what I saw, so I think I will save a few bucks and get a 512.
As someone who had a glossy LCD and an etched OLED, I'll give my take.

Do not underestimate just how often reflections show up in a glossy screen. If you're in a bright room, you'll even see your face in it. If you're playing mostly in the evenings, then it won't matter too much. But any window anywhere in your vicinity will have the potential to introduce reflections.

While etched may have less deep blacks in a bright room, it can make the difference between you seeing reflections or none at all. In a dark room, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.

It is of course personal preference, but after experiencing both, the etched screen has made the Deck infinitely more playable during the daytime for me. Prior to the etched screen, I'd have to very carefully select my playing position and angle the screen to minimize reflections.