Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2022
Awesome news

Game's gotten almost 150k negative reviews in the past 2 days. The response from the community has been clear. Hell no to Sony.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Drive-by post, trolling, history of similar behavior
So steam's gonna take care of their Nazi problem next?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody plays 225 hours and then decides it's not worth a 2 minute sign-up for PSN?
Not only that but this doubly confuses me considering how many other Steam games require 3rd party accounts to play. This one getting singled out is just weird to me.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
I've got to imagine this ends up with them rolling back the requirement for all players (they've already stated it won't be enforced for countries without PSN, so there's clearly no significant technical hurdle).
doubt it, if they do this for helldivers 2, they will HAVE TO do it for all their next GaaS games as this will be a precedent, so i reaaaally doubt they will roll back anything, maybe for people in other regions that doesnt have psn available but even that i doubt they will roll back that, according to devs they are having talks with sony since two days ago and nothing have happened yet, and according to devs, this requirement will be back next week for new players, so if by then nothing has change, it will be obvious nothing will change at all, refund the game, move on or keep playing the game, those are the options as of right now

Anashti

Dec 21, 2019
I haven't bought this, but I can kind of see why people would be upset. There's really no good reason why people should have to make a new account and hand over their personal information to Sony for a game that has been working just fine without it so far.

I'd also guess a subset of the people impacted by this were already mad at Sony for other things (Stellar Blade and maybe the Tsukihime art book thing) and just looking for a reason to spit in their eye.

Edit: I'd also like to echo some others here in saying this place is way too quick to side with corporations. Players don't get anything out of this requirement and Sony are the only beneficiaries. The continued commodification of customer data for profit or use in shareholder friendly metrics is legitimately concerning from my perspective.

Last edited:

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
I only have a PlayStation and still, Why Sony? I have so many PC friends playing this that want nothing to do with a console, or Sony.
Please do not take this in a bad way but I have been lurking from time to time in various subreddits which are discussing this issue and I just saw this post and it reminded me about some of the language i saw there too. Quite a lot of people were mad because they would need a PSN account specifically and thus the association with PlayStation, a console, as if that made it any different, more undesirable, than linking with any other publisher account that they had already done countless times before. They would use several variations of "I don't want anything to do with a console". It is posible that there is an element of PC Master Race in all of this for a part of those who are obviously quite pissed? Is that an element with your friends?

Jul 2, 2021
So steam's gonna take care of their Nazi problem next?
Steam:
200.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
User banned (1 week): Antagonistic behavior and Metacommentary
Even devs don't like this feature but Resetera gamers must defend big corporations from "snowflakes"
See, that's my point! Since when did we become a forum full of pro-corpo stooges? Shouldn't we all be advocating for the consumer?

I mean, fuck, we have the "there's a defense force for everything" meme for a reason but folks on this site regularly going to bat for microtransactions, anti-consumer shit like this that can have an actual tangible negative effect on certain players, it feels like I'm in bizarro world. It was never this bad when we were all back on the old site. Maybe boot polish has gotten tastier these last few years, I don't know.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It sadly only seems to matter when it's directed at certain companies and not others. Calling PC gamers snowflakes, yet engaging in the rhetoric that is essentially fanboy wars.
Did you forget that people were denouncing Stellar Blade in this very forum? You know, that game that just came out, was supported by Sony and was made by a studio accused of sexism that isn't doing themselves any favors with all those ass shots and jiggle physics?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Do you think professional review outlets should lower the score of the game? The game was reviewed without requiring PSN. Now that it does content and circumstances have changed.

Yes, by at least 7.5 points. If the score goes into negative, so be it. And they should also demand a public apology, followed by a recreation of the GoT "shame" scene by the developers. Finally, Sony needs to pinky swear to never do it again.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
People have principles, like how people refuse to create Facebook, Twitter etc despite it costs them nothing
Those people with principles probably have a Rockstar, Ubi, Valve, Epic, EA, Microsoft account to play their Steam games…
But PSN was the red line for some of them apparently.

(How many people complaining are really among those countries without official PSN support? Probably a minority)

I still think Sony handled it wrong:

Announce that you get XX credits if you link your account, or 10% more EXP points during 1 month, 90% of the users would have done it without complaining.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
There's an awful lot of people ITT being incredibly dismissive and borderline toxic over folks voting with their wallets.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I guarantee you the review bombing and negativity is not good for actual devs.
Which they encouraged because they don't necessarily agree with the decision either. You can't demonize a group of people because there's some bad actors in there. If you think about things from that perspective than you may as well say that no protest should ever exist, because there will always be some shitty people willing to take advantage of the situation.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Hope you realize AH agreed to the PSN account implementation with Sony when they funded development. A discord community manager likely just never saw these contracts.

Considering other prominent AH team members have been voicing their concerns as well about the backlash, shows this is not coming from AH community manager. No one wants to take shit for their bosses decision.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Also:
Ghost of Tsushima will have PSN account connectivity with trophies
Everyone: Hell yeah, Sony integrating!
Helldivers 2 will add PSN account connectivity
Everyone: The fuck you are.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
this will only affect arrowhad budget, if the games start to fail in MAU and targets sony will stop little by little the funding, this crazy arrowhead hiring will start to slow down, affecting them, arrowhead sending their toxic mobs to attack sony could cost them a lot more but let see how this evolves

Sure, and Larian will starve without WOTC. /s
Arrowhead playing the we are just as shocked as you card is an interesting approach.

Smart cookies, they might have plans to go independent with future titles so why absorb all that bad faith? Next time around they can use the "no third party accounts" as a selling point and all.

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
Even devs don't like this feature but Resetera gamers must defend big corporations from "snowflakes"
Devs were aware of this requirement since the very beginning and they were the ones who disabled temporally said requirement shortly after launch, directly causing this shitstorm. Devs should not be telling people to go after their partner for their fuck-ups.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Yes, by at least 7.5 points. If the score goes into negative, so be it. And they should also demand a public apology, followed by a recreation of the GoT "shame" scene by the developers. Finally, Sony needs to pinky swear to never do it again.
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Steam culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on PlayStation where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on Steam, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Steam userbase, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Helldivers 2 for either marketplace, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel PSN Integration for PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Do you think professional review outlets should lower the score of the game? The game was reviewed without requiring PSN. Now that it does content and circumstances have changed.

Irrelevant because most people just look at Metacritic and Opencritic which don't take in updated scores except in very rare circumstances.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
User banned (1 day): Antagonistic behavior towards another member
See, that's my point! Since when did we become a forum full of pro-corpo stooges? Shouldn't we all be advocating for the consumer?

I mean, fuck, we have the "there's a defense force for everything" meme for a reason but folks on this site regularly going to bat for microtransactions, anti-consumer shit like this that can have an actual tangible negative effect on certain players, it feels like I'm in bizarro world. It was never this bad when we were all back on the old site. Maybe boot polish has gotten tastier these last few years, I don't know.

There is nuance to this situation. Something you are seemingly not capable of grasping.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
They literally have said that it enables them better controls to deal with players that cheat, grief and abuse others and ban them, while also providing an appeals process for them, so that's just straight up not true at all.
Yet they've also encouraged people do to this… And all this negativity around the game is not beneficial for them. So yes, Sony's decision is a net negative.

Sep 6, 2023

I thought it was required on PC and then turned off do to server issues. If that is the case, the reviewers would have needed accounts, plus if they were reviewing on PS5 they for sure needed one.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
As I said, arrowhead disabled that requirement (temporarily) due to the servers problems the game had during the initial days. They disabled the requirement like the second or third day after launch day.

But still in all moment the steam store page and the game was telling people that the psn account linking was a requirement.

And I'm not saying that the account connection is a good or bad thing, I'm only saying that the account connection was a reality during the launch day of helldivers 2.

If people could play for these last four months unimpeded without a PSN account, then it wasn't a requirement. If it said on text somewhere under the Read More section of a Steam page, that's not really anyone's problem if they booted it up and were able to play just fine without it. Should have made sure it worked first before launching the game.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If people own the game in a country where they can't even make a PSN account is their only choice to request a refund otherwise they'd be stuck with an unplayable game?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Calling out gamer outrage bandwagons trying to trojan horse their own BS into a legitimate issue that affects a tiny minority of the people who are even part of it, that is even being addressed, is bootlicking now, alright

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Because it cheapens the idea of having actual principles. Like, this is not something to have principles about - there are so many issues in the world that this feeling of entitlement and whining concerning a requirement to play an online game is, frankly, just embarassing.
My brother in christ, I've spent the past week doomscrolling and refreshing coverage of kids protesting a tax-funded genocide and getting shot at with rubber bullets while being vilified as "antisemitic" by the fucking Democrat president.

Then I tune into Gamer Coverage to find people getting up in arms about... having to make a PSN account to play a PC game.
i dont understand this line of thinking. theres always terrible stuff going on around the globe. it doesnt mean people should keep quiet about less terrible stuff.

yes, it sounds ridiculous when you compare this to palestine, but people cant spend their every waking minute thinking about palestine.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People thinking this isn't a huge issue is not the same as people bootlicking for billion dollar corporations. Come on.

Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
already people have mocked about this commentary but also review outlets that played the game before day one, they had the psn account linking enforced.
So to your absurd question, HELL NO.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and Larian will starve without WOTC. /s

Smart cookies, they might have plans to go independent with future titles so why absorb all that bad faith? Next time around they can use the "no third party accounts" as a selling point and all.

Unless they will fund and self publish their future games, i dont know if it's really smart for devs (or paid mods) to throw under the bus in public to the company that paid for developement and is publishing your game.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I still dont see the need to defend this move
I could understand the complaints of this just came out of nowhere (though the fucking death threats are still inexcusable), but it didn't come out of nowhere.

Every trailer listed this requirement.
The Steam page lists this requirement.
The requirement is explicitly mentioned in-game.

Anyone flipping their shit over this was just being willfully ignorant.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Sony can be pretty petty.

They completely removed Cyberpunk from their storefront after their refund fiasco. They are in the gaming business in the first place because of pettiness.
Leaving Steam is not only petty, but also self-destructive. Sony's strategic goal of finding growth on PC would be effectively ended.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
If people could play for these last four months unimpeded without a PSN account, then it wasn't a requirement. If it said on text somewhere under the Read More section of a Steam page, that's not really anyone's problem if they booted it up and were able to play just fine without it. Should have made sure it worked first before launching the game.

What part of they disabled temporarily the requirement due to problems did you dont understand?

The reality is what it is, we can dislike it, but the truth is that the requirement was always there from the first day, you can't deny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.