Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Weird given that it was listed on the store page. You'd think it'd reject if the reason was "I didn't read the store page". Unless it's only to territories where you can't register for PSN.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I got a refund for another game that didn't work. Didn't need a psn account there :(

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I didn't realize it escalated since the thread got locked. Im guessing Sony is giving them the ok cause Valve can tell them to kick rocks since it was mentioned in the store page itself. What a wild situation.

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
Good. This is one of the few times that no matter how many hours played that someone should be permitted a refund. Sony should not be allowed to be this scummy.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
While I do still think folks overreacted, it's clear at this point that Sony not changing course is 100% the worst decision, like holy fuck, I am so curious how many folks will get refunds and I imagine many that do, will likely never re-buy the game again.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody plays 225 hours and then decides it's not worth a 2 minute sign-up for PSN?

May 15, 2019
Weird given that it was listed on the store page. You'd think it'd reject if the reason was "I didn't read the store page". Unless it's only to territories where you can't register for PSN.
If the game had launched with the PSN requirement people would have been able to refund it the instant they had to break TOS by lying about their country when creating an account. It's ridiculous to say that people need to read every little detail of a game's store description so that the company can't pull a fast one on you months later. Plenty of games have account systems but I've never seen a game add one post launch.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they fucked up dropping the news on a Friday and letting things spiral. I pity the community managers.

Kinguss

Mar 29, 2024
Mad respect to Steam for not treating their customers like an afterthought

It'll be interesting to see if Sony will continue to release games on Steam after enough refunds go through. EGS might be the new choice?

Not if they want to sell more than 100 copies, Steam is by far the biggest PC storefront
Sony will just have to learn and adapt to pc gamers needs

Last edited:

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
Guaranteed that the people getting refunds are the most insufferable toxic members of the community. Good riddance.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if Sony will continue to release games on Steam after enough refunds go through. EGS might be the new choice?

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I mentioned this on the other thread. Floodgates are open, you can expect the player numbers to go down because I know some will take advantage of this and knowing next month of game releases, some people would.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I do still think folks overreacted, it's clear at this point that Sony not changing course is 100% the worst decision, like holy fuck, I am so curious how many folks will get refunds and I imagine many that do, will likely never re-buy the game again.
There's no guarantee HD2 won't be their biggest MP game ever. They kind of have too, but their handling and messaging have been pretty bad. They should float a carrot out there for people. Create a PSN account and get some free super credits or war bond(s). Don't create one and you get to keep the status quo.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

I imagine the number will be small considering people actually enjoy the game.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
What an odd thing for Steam to decide to cave to the mob over.

Someone please fucking tell me why this matters so much when I'd love to see a single one of the people complaining don't have an account tied in through another service in some other game. Or not having a windows login, etc etc. And no don't tell me region, as Sony has said you can pick any country in your region without penalty.
People have principles, like how people refuse to create Facebook, Twitter etc despite it costs them nothing
Oooh yeah, real big philosophical statement to make here.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
Can someone give a cliff notes version of what's going on? Last I heard, everyone loved this game.
Sony announced that everyone who plays the game has to sign up for and link their PSN account by June in order to keep playing. This new policy was supposed to be enacted at the game's launch, but it was delayed due to a technical issue. Many ppl are upset about this, and many people are upset that people are upset. I.e. the usual reaction to any video game controversy.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
The most stupid controversy / backlash I've ever seen in gaming.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Best to submit a refund request by bringing up your purchase in the Steam Help site, clicking "I have a question about this purchase", and explaining the situation. This will ensure you ticket is manually reviewed and removes any automated blah-ness, as experienced by Sonic Mania pre-purchasers who found that the automated refund system was denying their requests based on the playtime of Sega's MegaDrive emulator, because it was added as a retroactive pre-order bonus -- so anybody who'd previously played Sonic 1 in the past for 2+ hours had "played" their pre-order for the same amount of time.

Also, the argument that "The store page said so" is asinine. The game released an entire quarter ago and, evidently, has never required PSN account linking to function correctly. People are right to be miffed that it will be retroactively enforced four months after release, regardless of how difficult it may be for them to set up a PSN account.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
A FULL refund after hundreds of hours of gameplay seems a bit crazy, to be honest, even if you don't want to do the PSN shenanigans.

Oct 25, 2017
The other thread was a big, big surprise for me as I went to bed after I thought I'd post in an innocuous topic and then woke and it had exploded.

While I will keep my opinions to myself here I think because the situation had moved so fast it's been difficult for people to be nuanced and actually fill in what "sides" say what.

I didn't know it was closed, even.

Good luck to those who got their money back.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
The late PSN requirement is crap. I feel for the developers though because I'm sure lots of players who enjoyed the game and aren't even that bothered might refund since they've had their fun with the game and aren't into the ongoing live service part of it.

World's smallest violin for Sony though.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Can someone give a cliff notes version of what's going on? Last I heard, everyone loved this game.

Sony forced PSN on people months after launch. It was listed on the Steam page but never enforced as a necessity til now (starting June 4th for existing players). People didnt like that.

Thats basically it.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Play 100h and got refund bc you don't want create an account?

Jesus christ, wtf happen on this industry?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Play 100h and got refund bc you don't want create an account?

Jesus christ, wtf happen on this industry?
Some bad actors will do this just because they want a game for free. Doesn't matter if they can't play it anymore when they've already done all they can in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.