• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rurmelly

Jan 31, 2018
Despite selling a broken port to pc users years ago, they have the gull to charge customers at all for this update. I'll stick with DSFIX.

I wonder what this means for the online, can standard users pair with remastered users?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they finally sorted this out. Should hopefully encourage a lot more to jump in for the revitalized MP.

Despite selling a broken port to pc users years ago, they have the gull to charge customers at all for this update. I'll stick with DSFIX.

I wonder what this means for the online, can standard users pair with remastered users?

No, they are completely separate titles.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
They really shouldn't charge current owners for this with the way the original was released and never fixed outside of community fixes.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
...So how much exactly is the discount?

I think I'm good to wait for the Switch version. The original runs fine with DS Fix, and it's pretty shameful it had to be fixed by Durante. Now they're just releasing a new version that I doubt will look appreciably different.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I still am amazed they're so tight lipped about this port so close to release.

A lot of impressions have been pretty disappointing from what I've seen. Beyond technical improvements, they didn't seem to bother with QoL features from the later titles that would've been useful.

Good for purists though, the game seems relatively unchanged if that's what you wanted.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
...So how much exactly is the discount?

I think I'm good to wait for the Switch version. The original runs fine with DS Fix, and it's pretty shameful it had to be fixed by Durante. Now they're just releasing a new version that I doubt will look appreciably different.

It does look different, it looks noticeably worse.
YeTDcsD.jpg

The Switch version is the only one where they didn't screw up the lighting because it was ported by a different company, so it's definitely worth the wait.

Oct 28, 2017
For $20 I'll upgrade - any higher I'll just stick with what I have. I've always wanted to dive into DS head first, but always tapered put early on. This'll give me a reason to commit.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
YeTDcsD.jpg

The Switch version is the only one where they didn't screw up the lighting because it was ported by a different company, so it's definitely worth the wait.
The one on the right makes me think of Xenoblade, Tales, and similar cell-shaded JRPGs.

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
YeTDcsD.jpg

Until I looked at the text I thought the remaster was on the left. I thought "well the character model does look better".

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like the remastered version graphics will be inferior to the original + DSFix so you really only get improved online play out of it (if remastered screenshots are accurate and indicative of PC version). So this discount better be big.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see what the discount is. The PC version isn't bad after DSfix. I've also struggled to get into it, but may give it a go for the right price.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Until I looked at the text I thought the remaster was on the left. I thought "well the character model does look better".

This sadly happened to me during the entire Digital Foundry video. Every time a side-by-side comparison was going, the original turned out to be look a lot cooler to me despite the shittier resolution.

On topic:
Will let my friends who own the Steam version know about this although I think they're sticking with DSFix due to the lighting as well.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Where the hell is that free test week btw? It was just for the Switch? They just gave up on that?

I don't care much for a new version but would be fun to grab the remaster just to replay with a lot of people invading and stuff.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for reviews and streams to see how this new version looks. I'd like to to pc but can't fool me twice.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Supposedly the discount is 50%, taken from the japanese page.

http://www.darksouls.jp/news/detail_180424_1.html

Kinda. Is legit but also misleading as fuck, because it's taken from streams with fucked up gamma.
Lighting is different, more dynamic, and for that reason you'll see areas where it may look better and areas where it may look worse.
Of course, some people will only post the same 2 pics over and over thouh.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
How's the framerate? 60fps or same as in the original?
Neither, everything we've seen from preview events has been locked 30 including Blighttown. DF hasn't been able to sink their teeth into it yet, but it's definitely a huge improvement over the original at least (not that that's saying much)

Unfortunately

Waiting for a reveal that the Switch version was delayed to match the lighting with the other versions.
I know you're joking, but a last minute delay a month before launch screams certification failure to me. I'm sure it'll be ready by late June/early July since those kinds of issues usually just mean a quick fix and then resubmission for the month-long certification process.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Skyrim Ultimate ED free for owners from the base game?

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YeTDcsD.jpg

There is no way on earth this is real. It doesn't even make sense, why would anyone buy that?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
YeTDcsD.jpg

I like how they blew up the contrast and positioned the player to make it look like less grass in the remaster.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, good to see the hyperbolic bitching has already started. Wouldn't be a Dark Souls Remastered thread without it.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
im tempted, but only because the switch version was delayed... im not going to fall for it Namco!

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

There is no way on earth this is real. It doesn't even make sense, why would anyone buy that?

It looks like the textures haven't loaded, there isn't even a pattern the shield

It came from this video, if you're interested. Vaati was invited to an official preview event and got the footage there:

I like how they blew up the contrast
Man I wish it weren't real too, I was really looking forward to this. At least there's still the Switch version.