• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
* Excludes microtransactions and DLC.

Credit to The Cat With a LightBulb:

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/976942590116298752

But Gabe will need his retirement money soon and will have to sell Valve to Microsoft.

giphy.gif

MOD EDIT:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._2017_was_Valves_most_profitable_year_yet.php

Numbers
  • Steam made $4.3 b revenues in 2017
  • 291 million Steam accounts (overall)
  • 63 million new Steam accounts made in 2017
  • 7696 new games in 2017, 21406 games overall
  • PUBG sold 28m copies, $600m revenue, followed by CS: GO (12.5m sales, $120m revenue)
  • A game must make $22m in gross revenue to break into Steam's top 20
  • 57 m players active in the past 2 weeks
  • 25% of all Steam account holders has played a game in the past 2 weeks (291m/4 = 72.75m)
  • Around 30 games per day, more than 1 per hour
  • 13.9% is American
  • American user buy 6x more games than China user

Last edited by a moderator:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Considering some of the things I've heard on this subject, I'm interested to see this number after PUBG is factored out, since it apparently makes up the bulk of this increase from the prior year?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Throw in DLC, throw in Steam Market sales, throw in TF2/CSGO/DOTA2 purchases (where Valve makes much higher than their normal 30% split and only shares revenue for community created content) and I'm guessing you're easily looking at 5 to 6 Billion.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Considering some of the things I've heard on this subject, I'm interested to see this number after PUBG is factored out, since it apparently makes up the bulk of this increase from the prior year?

Very rough napkin maths: $4,300,000,000 - ($67,393,228 [China] + $471,205,320 [rest of world]) = $3,761,401,452. The actual number would be somewhat higher, as after removing China from the equation, I just multiplied the remaining owners by the US price.

Edit: I should clarify that I didn't use the current owners figure but rather the one reported on January 1st.. and, having said that, I've just realised I'm a dope and A) missed a 1 when noting China's share of the revenue figure ($167m, not $67m) and B) forgot to account for the few-day lag (i.e. I should have used the January 4th figure). D'oh.

Edit edit: $4,300,000,000 - ($173,775,541 [China] + $489,171,210 [rest of world]) = $3,637,053,249

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

I do remember there was some speculation last year that PUBG was bringing more people onto the platform, which could account for increased revenue if those people were staying in the ecosystem.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Very rough napkin maths: $4,300,000,000 - ($67,393,228 [China] + $471,205,320 [rest of world]) = $3,761,401,452.
Interesting. So it's still an increase but not that much. Well, it seems that it's pretty much stagnant since 2015 in that case.

d9EsGeR.png

I think it's mainly due to The Witcher 3 and GTA V happened in 2015 causing the bump, but people were staying which led to similar revenue in the next year. If these new users in 2017 who came for PUBG are staying, Valve may retain the 4 billion~ revenue next year. More developers are supporting Chinese language in their games as well nowadays. I even saw some topics in gaming discussions demanding Chinese language for already released games.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Interesting. So it's still an increase but not that much. Well, it seems that it's pretty much stagnant since 2015 in that case.

d9EsGeR.png

I think it's mainly due to The Witcher 3 and GTA V happened in 2015 causing the bump, but people were staying which led to similar revenue in the next year. If these new users in 2017 who came for PUBG are staying, Valve may retain the 4 billion~ revenue next year. More developers are supporting Chinese language in their games as well nowadays. I even saw some topics in gaming discussions demanding Chinese language for already released games.

Not that it changes anything, but I'm a dumbo and messed up:

Edit: I should clarify that I didn't use the current owners figure but rather the one reported on January 1st.. and, having said that, I've just realised I'm a dope and A) missed a 1 when noting China's share of the revenue figure ($167m, not $67m) and B) forgot to account for the few-day lag (i.e. I should have used the January 4th figure). D'oh.

Edit edit: $4,300,000,000 - ($173,775,541 [China] + $489,171,210 [rest of world]) = $3,637,053,249

Oct 25, 2017
But I saw a Youtube video that said Steam is terrible and therefore Valve is in trouble cause gamers are leaving the service and aren't buying games there anymore.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people just taking PUBG out of the equation? That's like saying "Well 2018 box office is looking pretty poor if you take Black Panther out of the equation...."

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they included dlc's, mtx, and card sales I'd bet that number triples. At minimum.

Oct 30, 2017
But I haven't bought a thing off steam in the last year...!

Oh wait I don't have that kind of money

*scratches around for two cents

Does this mean we get Portal/Half life 3 VR

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people just taking PUBG out of the equation? That's like saying "Well 2018 box office is looking pretty poor if you take Black Panther out of the equation...."

PUBG was lightning-in-a-bottle to a degree, so removing it from the equation gives a picture of Steam's place in the "normal" PC gaming sector. As texhnolyze says, if the PUBG players stay then it's different in the long-term to if they don't, so having an idea of with+without PUBG makes sense.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Even if PUBG hadn't come out at least some of the people who bought it would've spent that money on some other Steam product, surely. It doesn't make sense to just subtract all of the profit that PUBG brought in and say that that would be the picture of Steam revenue if PUBG hadn't happened.

How you would actually get a clear view of that is something I have no idea about, though.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Even if PUBG hadn't come out at least some of the people who bought it would've spent that money on some other Steam product, surely. It doesn't make sense to just subtract all of the profit that PUBG brought in and say that that would be the picture of Steam revenue if PUBG hadn't happened.

Mayyyyyyybe? It might be that a good number of PUBG's sales were from people who viewed it as the PC version of Bloodborne/Halo/BoTW - a killer app that was worth getting, even if you buy everything else on a rival platform.

Certainly not all the sales are like that, though, it's true. And, yeah, no idea how you'd filter that out (by number of games on account, maybe?).

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why? How does that change Valves share of the market?

It would help determine if the non-PUBG section of their business stagnated (read: other AAA games and indies weren't part of the increase), which would mean that all those other games being bought on Steam are seeing less of a return from the platform. And it seems like it that is the case, shown by the most modest of market share bumps without PUBG factored in. But it is still just "napkin math", as JaseC put it, so it can only determine a lingering suspicion might have some merit.

BTW, thanks JaseC for that info and texhnolyze for contextualizing why I wanted to see it for everyone else in the thread while I was away.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why should PUBG be factored out?

Edit: Found the answer above. Not sure how that makes sense; if Fortnite was on Steam, should it be taken out of the equation, too?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, taking pubg out is nonsense. Theres no way to know if people didnt buy other stuff if it didnt exist. H1z1 was on its way to the stars...

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
More prankster uncles out there than I thought

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And that's just what Steam paid. All the steam keys sold through other shops and in boxes don't factors in that numbers.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Removing PUBG from Steam earnings is like removing Nintendo 1st parties from the Switch best sellers... actually this is way worse because you are left with nothing.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would help determine if the non-PUBG section of their business stagnated (read: other AAA games and indies weren't part of the increase), which would mean that all those other games being bought on Steam are seeing less of a return from the platform. And it seems like it that is the case, shown by the most modest of market share bumps without PUBG factored in.
I wouldn't matter anyway, since Valve opened the floodgates. So overall data will be useless. You would have to take big sample of specific devs that had published on Steam before and then compare their old sales to last year's and even that would be hard to directly compare if those games are wildly different

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
PUBG was lightning-in-a-bottle to a degree, so removing it from the equation gives a picture of Steam's place in the "normal" PC gaming sector. As texhnolyze says, if the PUBG players stay then it's different in the long-term to if they don't, so having an idea of with+without PUBG makes sense.

Why is that different than the bump from GTAV and TW3 in 2015? It was a 2 billion bump then.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you take PUBG? A game performing exceptionally well doesnt mean that it should be taken out of consideration in a marketplace, as it can help drive the customer base to new heights. It could also happen that some of the people that bought PUBG would have gotten different games in steam.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much PUBG exposed steam to the Chinese marketplace, which has huge growth potential.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
why are MTX and DLC excluded? can't be tracked?

i wonder if they are also taxed differently (mainly the market transactions)

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've definitely been going to steam more and more, with plans I'll build a gaming rig some day. I just want my software to work in a few years, unlike being on the Sony ecosystem.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very rough napkin maths: $4,300,000,000 - ($67,393,228 [China] + $471,205,320 [rest of world]) = $3,761,401,452. The actual number would be somewhat higher, as after removing China from the equation, I just multiplied the remaining owners by the US price.

nvm I'm dumb and sleepy

Last edited:

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, Valve made 600 million from PUBG in 2017? From the other thread I thought PUBG had made the developers that amount, not Valve.

No seriously I'm getting a little confused. PUBG sold 30 million in 2017, that's 900 million IF you consider all copies sold as 30 USD. How is Valve's cut higher than 300 million? If it was 300 million their revenue last year would be 4 about 4 billion, not 3.6
This is total revenue. Valve's cut should be 1.3b from the total.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally don't understand the point of excluding PUBG because "lightning in a bottle", as though there isn't a "lightning in a bottle" title pretty much every year, or that there are millions of PUBG owners who own literally no other titles and will never buy anything else.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally don't understand the point of excluding PUBG because "lightning in a bottle", as though there isn't a "lightning in a bottle" title pretty much every year, or that there are millions of PUBG owners who own literally no other titles and will never buy anything else.
Indeed. And when you take into consideration what Galyokin said, quite a huge number of PUBG buyers are new Steam users. That's a bunch of people that got into the ecosystem because of PUBG, so it's silly to ignore the numbers.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._2017_was_Valves_most_profitable_year_yet.php

Numbers
  • Steam made $4.3 b revenues in 2017
  • 291 million Steam accounts (overall)
  • 63 million new Steam accounts made in 2017
  • 7696 new games in 2017, 21406 games overall
  • PUBG sold 28m copies, $600m revenue, followed by CS: GO (12.5m sales, $120m revenue)
  • A game must make $22m in gross revenue to break into Steam's top 20
  • 57 m players active in the past 2 weeks
  • 25% of all Steam account holders has played a game in the past 2 weeks (291m/4 = 72.75m)
  • Around 30 games per day, more than 1 per hour
  • 13.9% is American
  • American user buy 6x more games than China user

2017 was Steam's most profitable year yet, claims Sergey Galyonkin and the creator of SteamSpy, a website that, since 2015, has provided estimates on the number of game sales on the titular digital game store.

The digital store made revenues of $4.3 billion in 2017, a large proportion of which, he claims, was facilitated by the popularity of Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, the unrivaled hit of last year. There are now 291 million Steam accounts, 63 million of which were created last year.

Speaking at GDC 2018, Galyonkin revealed a slew of statistics that show the yawning gap between the winners and losers on the service.

"Half of all the money is made by a small subset of games," he said. In fact, of the 21,406 games currently on Steam (7,696 of which were released in 2017) those that manage to break into the top 100 make the majority of the money.

PUBG has sold, Galyonkin said, close to 28 million copies, generating $600 million in revenue. This is followed by Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, with 12.5 million sales, and revenues of $120 million.

A game must make $22 million in gross revenue to break into Steam's top 20, a figure which has remained the same. "Hits like these are what make money for Valve."

This data has been harvested by Galyonkin's SteamSpy, which works by monitoring around 800,000 user profiles each day, using a three-day sample to estimate the basic statistic's via on Steam API. Galyonkin prefaced his talk by saying that Steam Spy does not work in real time -- it takes four days to "catch-up", he said -- and is "not precise" and "very inaccurate" for small games.

The technology only tracks owners and players, not sales, is unable to distinguish between games sold on Steam, sold elsewhere, and given away for free, and currently does not track refunds.

Nevertheless, Galyonkin is confident in stating that Steam "is not slowing down". 57 million players were active in the past two weeks, he said. 25 percent of all Steam account holders have played a game in the past two weeks, he said.

"It's not all great through," said Galyonkin. The median user owns only two games, while the mean average is 10.8 games, numbers which have fallen in recent years.

While the service is not as saturated at the App Store, Galyonkin said, "discoverability" is becoming a major issue on the platform; around 30 games launch each day, more than one per hour.

"We have too many games," he said. "It's not only impossible for a user to buy them all; it's impossible for a user to even scroll through them."

While China is the largest market, the most represented nationality on Steam is American. "13.9 percent of active players are American, said Galyonkin. "And the average American use buys six times more games on Steam than an average user from China."

The number of Steam accounts has risen sharply in 2017, said Galyonkin. This is because Cybercafes in China are "installing Steam so their clients can play PUBG," said Galyonkin. The average Chinese player spends more than twice as much time playing PUBG than the average American.

The fastest growing game tag on Steam in the past five years is "dinosaurs, " followed by "conspiracy." The number of games tagged "Team-based" and "PVE" have fallen the greatest in the same period.

As well as running Steam Spy, Galyonkin also works as director of publishing strategy at Epic Games. "Our publishing strategy at Epic Games," he quipped, "is to not put our games on Steam."