Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
So I finally tried Steam World Dig 1 last year and was blown away to the point where it's a top 10 game for me. Downloaded every SteamWorld game while they were on sale. Played 2, didn't love it, but liked it. But now that I'm finally making time for Heist in prep for the sequel, I'm kicking myself because these were on the 3DS the entire time and I'm wondering what was my reason for not giving these a shot. This IP kicks ass and is so versatile.

View: https://youtu.be/c0ck6mbtxzA?si=UxRC0MrB7muIUmsy

Now it feels like I have to try Build just because I've been so wrong in the past.

But if you haven't tried any of these, they're all good to great and regularly on sale with deep deep discounts. SteamWorld Heist II Day One purchase.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Heist is only a dollar on Steam right now, for anyone that might be curious. (dunno about other platforms or regional prices)

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I hope Heist 2 will be a success for them, I feel like Quest and Build never really caught on like the older games. Are they worth exploring?

I liked the build demo, haven't played the full game.

But, everyone raves about quest but I found it incredibly boring. Coming from a guy who loves Dig 1& 2 and Heist.

thatjesushair

Mar 21, 2019
Its frustrating for me, personally, because I love all that I see of all their games; I just REALLY don't like the Steampunk aesthetic.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Its frustrating for me, personally, because I love all that I see of all their games; I just REALLY don't like the Steampunk aesthetic.
I'm pretty indifferent toward Steampunk, but Dig doubles as a western. And Heist takes place in space. Heist II is Pirates. Quest is just fantasy.

I think I might've been put off by the character sizes, but a couple rounds into a map you realize, oh hit detection matters a lot here. Shooting the knee, shoot the head, shooting a hate.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
The reaction to Steamworld Build feels pretty muted but I'm very much interested in that one, been on a city builder kick lately

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Tried them all and only like (love) the Dig games. Was super disappointed the new one wasn't Dig 3.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between these games? I loved dig 1. Never knew about build, heist and quest

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
What's the difference between these games? I loved dig 1. Never knew about build, heist and quest
Build is a city builder, Heist is a tactical shooter, and Quest is a cardbattling RPG. Only Dig 2 returns to the digging-focused platforming of the first, and it also ditches procedural generation in favor of static crafted levels.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Dig is a Metroidvania, I guess, but I think that descriptor does it a disservice. At least it did for me. You basically dig into the ground, find loot, return up, sell loot for stronger equipment and upgrades, dig further down and repeat. You also have limited light and water resources while you're underground. You can stay down there after you run out, it's just harder to.

Heist is a 2D turn based tactics shooter where you basically jump onto ships, raid them and get out.

Quest is a fantasy themed turned based RPG.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Tried them all and only like (love) the Dig games. Was super disappointed the new one wasn't Dig 3.

Pretty sure Dig 2 is their biggest success and a decent part of that came from being there at the Switch launch (and being amazing obviously). My theory is that Dig 3 is well underway and will launch with the Switch 2 whenever that thing emerges.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah I loved Heist and Dig 1/2.

Weirdly enough though I never felt drawn to Quest or Build at all.

But I will be there for Heist 2 on day one

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Why am I so invested in this hat mechanic? Do I actually lose my hats forever if I don't pick them up, they really got me going back for my hats in the middle of a shootout.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I started with Dig 1 like most folks and enjoyed it (didn't play the DSiware game), loved Heist, also loved Dig 2, but haven't been into anything since then. Bounced off Quest after a couple hours and didn't even try Build. Definitely looking forward to Heist 2 though and hopefully an eventual Dig 3.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I looooved Dig 1 and 2, didn't care for Heist and Quest though. Just not my types of games.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Heist has sold me procedural generation. It didn't even occur to me that it was until I aborted mission and everything was different. The vertical levels are really good.

I've played games that I've liked, but this is clicking clicking in a way nothing has for me in a minute. Like I'm loving playing Street Fighter VI, but had to put work into that. This just clicked nearly instantly.

Let's put it this way, if Hades II were to drop right this second, I don't think I would instantly put this down for that.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There are no bad steamworld games. The worst one is Build and that's just because it's baby's first ANNO and it doesn't have a lot of the ANNO hooks because it's trying to do a shorter gameplay loop.

Steamworld Quest is a masterpiece.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I have played every game in the series except the city builder one, and they are some of the most enjoyable games in those individual genres.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
The one thing is, is there a reason they don't let you natively record gameplay. I'd love to show this off more on socials, but I can't.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
The reaction to Steamworld Build feels pretty muted but I'm very much interested in that one, been on a city builder kick lately
Build is fine. Its not great and, not bad either. If your looking for a city builder, I wouldn't recommend Build at all because it isn't really a city builder.

Like, you place buildings, and connect them with roads and stuff, but the meat of the game is in the worker management stuff in the underground layer. And that plays alot closer to something like Dungeon Keeper (though not exactly), where by your directing workers to dig out rooms and placing traps to deal with monsters.

ShadowForks

May 29, 2018
I really liked Steamworld Quest, I thought it was one of the best RPGs one could play on the Switch. I felt quite immersed in its playfulness, and it's a perfect appetizer before Paper Mario

youtu.be

SteamWorld Quest Review | One of the Best RPGs on Switch

https://www.patreon.com/shadowforksThank you for the support from Skeleton Boy, check out Megamontse's instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/megamontse/?...

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Build but the others in the series are great, especially Dig 2. Heist and Quest are really good too and made it to where I would enjoy those genres more, which is a plus.

Quest is probably underrated at this point. Definitely check that one out too.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
The full version of Build doesn't really add much on top of the demo. It's quite a short experience, but fun for what it is.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Loved Heist so Heist 2 is a day 1 for me. Playing Dig 2 right now sometimes. Also great. Going to keep checking out their games.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So I finally tried Steam World Dig 1 last year and was blown away to the point where it's a top 10 game for me. Downloaded every SteamWorld game while they were on sale. Played 2, didn't love it, but liked it. But now that I'm finally making time for Heist in prep for the sequel, I'm kicking myself because these were on the 3DS the entire time and I'm wondering what was my reason for not giving these a shot. This IP kicks ass and is so versatile.

View: https://youtu.be/c0ck6mbtxzA?si=UxRC0MrB7muIUmsy

Now it feels like I have to try Build just because I've been so wrong in the past.

But if you haven't tried any of these, they're all good to great and regularly on sale with deep deep discounts. SteamWorld Heist II Day One purchase.

That's sort of wild, usually people prefer 2 over 1!

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Downloading Heist now. Thanks for making this thread; it reminded me that I have some of those games in my library.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Yep they are 90%+ off on steam and eshop right now, go for them they are quite good:).
A Little heads-up Heist has a cool DLC that's better to have from the beginning imo, it's included in the Ultimate edition on eshop(1.99 right now!), on steam is more convenient in the deluxe pack(2.56 right now), totally worth it go for it!

Also i completed Heist mostly using touch controls for precision(perfectly implemented in switch version), i remember getting all three for 0 using gold coins:).
Will try Quest down the line(i already have it in my backlog)

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
I've been loving all of the Steamworld games, yes, even Build. Even though that one was a bit too easy imo. Can't wait for Heist 2!