• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Dig 2 was kinda a bummer but love the Steamworld World, excited to see how this turns out.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had any interest whatsoever in card-based games, but I'd follow these devs into hell... so I guess I'll be finding out what I think of these types of games after actually having given one a chance.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
I can't say I expected a card game as the next thing from this studio, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt from me so I'll definitely give it a shot.

I wonder where it takes place in the timeline.

I'm gonna say before Heist for sure, and possibly before Steamworld Dig 1, purely because Middle Ages/Fantasy stuff come before cowboys stuff in my mind.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do all these Steamworld games take place in the same universe? Are the devs building a mythology for this series?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Steam....punk! Action game? Tower defense?

cover_large.jpg

2.jpg

Tower Defense was already used for Steamworld. It's easily forgotten, but I recommend it.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Game style and the title make me think of Adventure Quest with the 2D RPG tall characters, but I dig it. Will love to see what they will do with this genre and where it will go next.

Gothic or Victorian would be cool to see.
Gothic horror text adventure ala Sunless Sea?
I would love it but it probably wouldn't sell very well.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
So a Steamworld take on Slay the Spire? I'm down.. but I wished it strayed a bit from the formula.. but I've loved everything they've done and Heist and Dig 2 were amazing games.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for anything and everything SteamWorld. I'll patiently wait for PS4 since I have all the others on that.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
You can still download it from the 3DS eShop. I don't think it was ported to other systems. It's a really simple game, even compared to the first Dig, but it's a neat, inexpensive TD game with a cool OST. I haven't played it in almost a decade, but I had a great time with it back then.
Thanks for the info!

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I'm not a huge fan of card games but Steamworld Dig 2 is one of my favorite games from the last couple of years which buys them a lot of leeway in my book. I haven't tried Heist yet but seeing the the reactions in this thread I might have to remedy that.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Well this looks good!

Steamworld Dig 2 was brilliant. Definitely looking forward to hearing more about this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't feeling SWD2 but this looks interesting. Wonder where they'll go next with these offshoots.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Do we have how many hours the campaign is? I know SWD2 is 10-15 hours, which is a good length for a metroidvania style game. But with RPGs, if it can be 25-30 hours, that would be great.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Liked Dig and Heist and the art style continues to hold up in this, but this type of game isn't my cup of tea.
Glad they are continuing this universe with different genres. A sprite based FPS would be beautiful in this art style.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
As with every one of their games, this looks unique and fucking amazing!! They always put a twist on conventions of genres and I love it!! Also, HELL YES to card based turn based battles. That's some Baten Kaitos shit which I loved and is way too rare in rpgs. Day 0 - these guys can literally do no wrong with me :)

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I admit I'm not into computerized card games, but I will keep an open mind on this just because of the developers' pedigree. And sign me up for the "Gimmie SW Heist 2" club while you're at it.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so down for this, they haven't disappointed me yet. Love their genre shifting

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
I've seen quite a bit of card based games coming up lately but what is it that makes them card based, really? I know, it's a weird question. Let me put it this way: Let's say those cards are actions or skills and the place that they're put on screen is an action/skill bar. The "deck" is then basically a loadout of said skills which you can modify out of combat.

This isn't specifically aimed at this game. Just that I've been seeing a trend of replacing skill slots mechanic (what we all knew for years) with card graphics and not much mechanics beyond that about actual deck building, and calling it a card game or a card-based combat game.