Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
September

Is

Unstoppable

www.gameinformer.com

Steel Assault Arrives On PC And Switch Later This Month

16-bit platforming action is coming on September 28.

Looking for some 16-bit platforming action? You won't have to wait too long for Steel Assault, which comes to Switch and PC (Steam) on September 28. Check out the trailer below for a look at what's in store for Zenovia Interactive's upcoming title that's aiming to deliver an authentic 90's arcade experience. But wait – the games in that era were fairly unforgiving and ate away at people's quarter reserves! Have no fear, as Steel Assault comes with a variety of difficulty options, including "retro hard" for those who really want to experience it in arcade platform glory. Check out the release date trailer right here.

New trailer in the above link, exclusive to GI for now so no Youtube embed—but I included the previous (incredible) trailer above.

KS update:
www.kickstarter.com

Update 32: RELEASE DATE: September 28th, on PC and Switch · Steel Assault

It's finally here! Game Informer has received exclusivity for the release date trailer until tomorrow, so check that out here: https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/09/14/steel-assault-arrives-on-pc-and-switch-later-this-month -- The same trailer will be posted on YouTube tomorrow on both Tribute's...

Last edited:

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Looks to be right up my alley!

The Kickstarter trailer and info makes it seem like it was an homage to late-gen NES games, but that trailer in the OP looks and sounds decidedly16-bit. Was the game's artstyle/sound changed during development?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The Kickstarter makes it seem like it was an homage to late-gen NES games, but that trailer in the OP looks and sounds 16-bit. Was the game's artstyle changed during development?

Yup, the game switched artstyles a while back with all the old assets being used in Cyber Shadow:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they took demo feedback into account, particularly how difficult it was to distinguish between foreground and background stuff while playing.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
My wallet is going to need to be put on life support at this rate but. . .those graphics, that gameplay—I need this. I have no self control.

Help.
7edcq69.png

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this game existed but it looks really really good and the gameplay seems very fun.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good, I had never heard of this! Seems like the kind of game that will definitely come out on Game Pass when it eventually is ported to PS/Xbox, so I'm going to hang tight

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Holy moly, a run&gun meets Strider?
also hell yeah, 16/32bit pixel art is my jam and it looks fab.

Not fond of 4:3 ar tho, but I get it that it's not that easy to tune a game like this with a wide screen estate.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
You can add the game to your wishlist on Switch now via the eShop (no preordering yet) and it's priced at $15 bucks.

15 bucks?! I got NMH3/Pikmin3DX/MonHunRise/GreatAA/FE3H/DoomEternal DLC all ready to come out from the grimoir… errr my backlog, and Dread is coming up, but I won't be able to resist Day1ing this if early impressions are good.

I think I'm waiting for a sale on Eastward, especially since at 35hours it's gonna be a slog for me, and getting this one instead.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Finished the game, it's reaaaaally short if you play in normal! It's really pure arcade style and expert will really take you a lot of try to get past it, that's the main appeal of the game! i recommend going into expert mode cause normal is too easy imo!

Apparently a boss was removed too from the early 2019 trailer, i wonder why

The soundtrack is purely amazing and the pixel art is gorgeous

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Is it at least an hour long? Or is it much shorter?

took me 40 minutes in normal with a few deaths, but then again it's meant to be played in expert where you'll die a lot! Arcade mode is only 1 live, it's too hard even for me, haha! Like look at contra 3, with infinite lives you basically finish it in the same amount of time

Definitely not for everyone for sure, it's made to be exactly like the games from back then and it shows... it's meant to be replayed a lot and perfected

I'll admit there's not a lot of content (evne in gameplay, you only have one weapon), but considering how gorgeous the game is and how it's full on focused on the action, i'm okay with it

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
40 mins is a good estimate for a run on normal. It definitely is designed like an arcade game to be played in one sitting. It feels like something aimed at people who enjoy trying to 1CC them.

I really liked it. I can see myself revisiting it from time to time. Controls well, has some fun stuff to it with the zip line, and the music and aesthetics are incredible. This might be my favorite looking action platformer indie game. Seriously gorgeous and impressive.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the launch kickstarter menioned it was designed first as with the arcade diffculty in mind in which you'll probably die in under a minute the first couple of times lol.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
How is switch performance? I've been on a huge arcade kick after building a retro pie and arcade stick so this looks like my jam.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
How is switch performance? I've been on a huge arcade kick after building a retro pie and arcade stick so this looks like my jam.
Felt ok to me, had no complaints. The fps seems like it might be a little choppy on one section but I'm not sure if that was just my eyes or not tbh

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all weren't kidding, short game. But fun! I gotta try it on Expert at some point. Really pretty and controls well. Didn't see any performance problems on Switch.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, 30 to 40 minutes is about how long the typical SNES game was if you played it front to back without dying much. So that's pretty much what I expected, and not at all a rip off.

DrunkDadbr

Banned
May 19, 2021
Have been playing this and i'm in love with it!

It's a top 5 genesis game that was never released, until now. A hidden Treasure/Konami-like gem. It's THAT good!

I'm playing Arcade Mode and still didn't beat, but i'm at the final stage. Arcade mode does double damage taken, a single try, 3 health replenish for the entire game and, of course, arranged enemy waves and pumped up bosses. 11h in, yet the game can be beaten in like 20-25 minutes at near perfect playthrough.
Almost there.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
What a bummer that they didn't include even a barebones scoring mechanic, it would uhave gave the game quite a boost in replayability....

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna bump this since there's no OT.

Picked this up today, and Jesus fucking Christ. It's so hard in some sections. I'm no stranger to super-difficult arcade games, platformers, etc., but this is some fucking shit.

Just that little segment alone in Chapter 2 where you're trying to jump up a waterfall while being accosted constantly by those little flying drones makes my blood boil. It's legitimately raising my blood pressure.