Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like them. Sometimes I wish there was just an edition of the game that was steelbook and an artbook (maybe soundtrack) and I'd be all set.

The Witcher 3 had wonderful variations of steelbook art.

the-witcher-3-Steel-book-Cover-83930584.jpg

Also, that RDR2 steelbook looking mighty fine.

4774081161084c7fbda9a14d67f91630_Large.png

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP

I was obsessed with Steelbooks for a time and eventually realized they're just.... such a waste :(

OVDRobo

Oct 29, 2017
I like the design and idea behind them but rarely use them just because publishers never seem to bother putting the game name on the spine. I know it takes away from the visual appeal but it makes it difficult to know what game I'm picking up and adding even a second of thought to grabbing a game off the shelf isn't worth whatever I gain from having a steelbook instead of a regular case.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
They're actually great provided their is some effort put into the artwork and there's the actual name of the game on the spine.

The biggest issue with them is durability. They are extremely easy to scratch or dent. Hell half the time there are scratches or even dents on them fresh out of the box.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind them, but never splurge extra for them unless its for extras included in the case(which is way more rare these days)

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, loosing that feeling of turning over a boxart to take in some flavour art/text of a fresh new game or an old one you want to revisit is not worth it at all!!!!

581774_back.jpg

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I like them. I get steelbook whenever possible, unless it's a game I don't care for much and the price difference is too big.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 steel book is great, it has the rating in the plastic cover, which makes the metal cover look even better when it's off and protects the steelbook from scratches when it's covered by it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Persona 5 steel book is great, it has the rating in the plastic cover, which makes the metal cover look even better when it's off and protects the steelbook from scratches when it's covered by it.

It does look good. The sleeve is useless though because both the sleeve and case have a shiny, smooth finish. Pick it up with the sleeve and the case shoots right out the bottom.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Completely true. There is nothing more ugly in my collection of PS4 games than the Persona 5 steelbox that was mandatory for reserving the game.

Break all aesthetics

emperor_ing

Jan 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Steelbooks are fine and generally look good and feel like a premium edition. I do get the point that the discs are sometimes more difficult to get out though. If it's too tight a fit I get the scary feeling the disc might snap. They also don't work as well when you have too many discs to fit in - applies more to TV shows than games - the UK Doctor Who Series 5 Steelbook is awful.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
If you're into consistency on a shelf, then a steelbook will definitely annoy you. But as a standalone object, they're almost always aesthetically more pleasing than the standard amaray release. Basically depends if you prefer pretty things or pretty shelves.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I like steelbooks. My Final Fantasy XII one for the PS2 is probably my all time favorite.

EDIT: Oh snap, I didn't even know it was mentioned above. Just goes to show how good it is.

Good example of preserving key elements of a box art, but I'll never understand how can anyone not use the full FF logos in the packages, they're almost signature. Although I can kinda understand coming from XII, it had a pretty irregular one.
I still don't understand why the FFXII logo is the way it is, but I love it. They were just like "fuck it, if it's going to be big, go crazy big."

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... any format can be ugly, but this is like complaining about folio books because they're of finer quality and different formats and thus need to be handled more carefully and don't necssarily fit sizewise with your other books.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you, OP. Kind of.

I have a few steelbooks that have come with limited editions, none of which have seen any actual use. But in a way, I'd kind of prefer it if these limited editions came with only steelbooks and no regular game cases because then I at least wouldn't have them unnecessarily taking up shelf space.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
In spain you have this beauty.

155410.png
In France it's an exclusive bonus if you buy it from Micromania, who charges you the moment you pre-order and sells it for 10€ more than anywhere else.
I'm a huge Smash fan, I collect everything I can about every game from the series,I play Melee competitively, but I won't support this.
Steelbooks can be fun but I'm not into them that much in the end.

Oct 31, 2017
I have thought about moving to a binder to save space. Have you noticed any scratching or anything from constant removal from the sleeves?

Nope...I'm really not swapping games like that anyway on a constant basis. Usually when I'm done with a game, I'm pretty much done with it for a while if not permanently .

Recently though, swapping God of War and Nino Kuni but no scratches. Trust me so much easier and saves a lot of space.

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
I think steelbooks or off brand variants are terrible. I know publishers won't want to deal with the extra work or cost in shipping but I wish all steelbooks came separately in addition to standard cases.

I know at least in the states, it is still possible to buy most of these games with standard cases. It is just an annoying extra hurdle since it likely means you are ordering it online and probably paying more for standard than the metal case version.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you. I've managed to get non-steelbook versions of my entire PS4 library.

In some cases, I actually had to pay extra for the non-steelbook edition.

Nov 1, 2017
Any of you that dislike steelbooks that still have them for whatever reason, send me a PM and I might be the one to take them off your hands!

(For money of course!)

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Love them. Never had a problem opening one and getting the disc out. Or a rusty box. Guess I just can't relate.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Steelbooks rock

Still have my collector's FFXII steelbook

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So you'd rather have company logos and plastic n paper? I guess there's a first for everything.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I've only ever had two steelbooks I think, Halo 3 and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, both dented extremely easily and quickly, Halo 3 had the problem of discs being too loose while Metroid had the problem with feeling like I was going to break the disc in half just pulling it out, I didn't like the way either of them looked or how they looked on my shelf. I actively avoided them after that.