• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
Do you attribute that to recent patch that addresses the input delay?
I'm honestly not sure. I didn't even finish the demo because I just couldn't pull off perfect parries at all and it was frustrating me.

Bought it on a whim cause otherwise it seems right up my alley and it clicked straight away this time. Not sure if it's the fixed input lag or not.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Game definitely plays better than it did in the demo

About 4hrs in and the game is great, if it was earlier in the day but just finished some side missions and I think I'll call it. Theres a couple outfits you can get early on and pheeeew she is dripped the fuck out

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Flooded Commercial Sector

pacha-perfect.gif
It's a really good track.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I played the demo when it came out. But today, I decided to restart the game to make sure I remembered them mechanics, it's much improved from the demo.

The early level design has been engaging. Combat feels like it has some depth. I must say that the parry mechanics are inferior to Sekiro but I still like them. Overall it's just an impressive outing with a lot of polish. Still needs a death animation, but even that is less jank than the demo.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
I'm liking what I'm hearing, might give the demo a proper whirl and pick it up.

I usually really struggle with parrying if it's the focus of combat, but the fact it has difficulty settings makes me hope it isn't too punishing.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This game is so frustrating to me.

The graphics are really good. The combat is challenging and fun. The music is fantastic. It has great atmosphere, and the story is interesting enough (I've been enjoying reading the data bank and lore I've been finding).

And yet they just had to go with all the gratuitous T&A and jiggle physics. It's just so unnecessary! And I'm not going to sit on my high horse and try to pretend that I don't like looking at beautiful women, of course I do, and Eve is totally a character I would have designed...back when I was a horny 15 year old in high school.

The game has a lot going for it, and for a debut console title, it's a bang up job. Much like Days Gone was from Bend, who had been doing portable games before getting a shot at a new console title.

It's just a little disappointing, because there's enough here to stand on its own merits. It's clearly heavily inspired by Nier: Automata, and the team did a good job of still giving this game its own identity and look, and Eve is a badass, I just think they could have dialed back the juvenile titillation.

It is what it is, and the game has been very enjoyable so far, and I'm slowly getting used to the combat now that I'm unlocking more abilities. I'm still fairly early (past the demo part by maybe a main mission or two, and just unlocked suit crafting). Once I reach the part where I can access my Deluxe Edition content, I'll probably call it a night and go back to playing more Prince of Persia.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This game is so frustrating to me.

The graphics are really good. The combat is challenging and fun. The music is fantastic. It has great atmosphere, and the story is interesting enough (I've been enjoying reading the data bank and lore I've been finding).

And yet they just had to go with all the gratuitous T&A and jiggle physics. It's just so unnecessary! And I'm not going to sit on my high horse and try to pretend that I don't like looking at beautiful women, of course I do, and Eve is totally a character I would have designed...back when I was a horny 15 year old in high school.

The game has a lot going for it, and for a debut console title, it's a bang up job. Much like Days Gone was from Bend, who had been doing portable games before getting a shot at a new console title.

It's just a little disappointing, because there's enough here to stand on its own merits. It's clearly heavily inspired by Nier: Automata, and the team did a good job of still giving this game its own identity and look, and Eve is a badass, I just think they could have dialed back the juvenile titillation.

It is what it is, and the game has been very enjoyable so far, and I'm slowly getting used to the combat now that I'm unlocking more abilities. I'm still fairly early (past the demo part by maybe a main mission or two, and just unlocked suit crafting. Once I reach the part where I can access my Deluxe Edition content, I'll probably call it a night and go back to playing more Prince of Persia.
I feel you, you pretty much echo my own thoughts from my time with the demo/post-demo and reading the reviews:
For me, yes, I'd much rather be talking about the interesting elements of the game but instead we have to have this discussion because the developers couldn't resist pushing the sexualisation to an absurd degree. It's an important conversation to have and it should be the one we're having, and are having, as a result of that. It is frustrating though because it's so easy to see how improved the game would be without it all, how unnecessary it is. You have sexualised designs in the game that, while may elicit discussion, aren't beige bodysuits and landing lights. There's already a game there with a feminine female lead, nice outfits, great combat and sound design, etc. Yet they couldn't resist taking it to such an extreme to where it's hard to see little other reason than to provoke for easy marketing. Which is just another side of the coin when it comes to cheapening the product as a whole, since the visual flair on the combat, animations and less egregious outfits would easily have carried this into people's interest.
They really ended up undermining their own work.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
So I heard that balanced mode is the best mode to choose especially if you use vrr with it. Is vrr included in the game like built in or as an option to select? Or I have to force vrr from the PlayStation settings?

Measure

Aug 14, 2020
ok so I got a chance to finally start playing, and the pause in the the first light attack is 100% improved. Parry and dodge feel about the same

Azzello

May 25, 2021
Tried demo couple of weeks back but combat was so-so to me. Bought the game in hope that it gets better when you unlock more skills. From what I've seen in reviews I might've been right, looking forward to try it out.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not sure. I didn't even finish the demo because I just couldn't pull off perfect parries at all and it was frustrating me.

Bought it on a whim cause otherwise it seems right up my alley and it clicked straight away this time. Not sure if it's the fixed input lag or not.
It's definitely way better. Feel like I hit the parries reliably now.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
The story is being telegraphed so hard it feels like it's too obvious to happen. But if it really is what it looks like then Automata isn't the only Nier they're borrowing from.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When do you get access to your pre-order suit?

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I made it past the crane puzzle and I'm enjoying this quite a lot. It took me some time to get used to parrying again, but I'm now successfully doing it 90% of the time I'd say.

Being 3~ hours in, I wish we had access to more outfits at this point.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The urge to spend as much time as you did in the demo (too much) looking and poking around every area and really soak up the first play through.

vs.

The urge to pick up the pace to avoid spoilers as more people progress and risk increases

giphy.gif

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Should I upgrade Exospines as I go or save resources for now?
I assume they are mostly specialized in what they do so upgrading isn't a waste as you probably won't find exospines that are the same effect but just better than one you already have.

There could be one with the same base effect but a different upgrade effect I guess

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I played the demo, but decided to start from the beginning in the full game. I didnt had any problem with the "input lag" in the beta, but they definitely improved the animation delay in the day 1 patch, feels much better. Chromatic and film grain off with HDR and this game is just gorgeous and silky smooth

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't find an answer to this anywhere, those of you playing are there any costumes available at the start that are not so fucking juvenile and offensive?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I just can't find an answer to this anywhere, those of you playing are there any costumes available at the start that are not so fucking juvenile and offensive?
Not quite at the start and I'm not far enough in to give details on others (though they exist) but I believe you can get the Kill Bill outfit within the first 6-8hrs. I'm hoping there's others before that but don't know as I'm still just a little bit past where the post-demo ended, and only have the alt-colour black/orange version of the green/white starting one (bottom):

IMG-4028.jpg

IMG-4046.jpg

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Not quite at the start and I'm not far enough in to give details on others (though they exist) but I believe you can get the Kill Bill outfit within the first 6-8hrs.

IMG-4028.jpg
I love those exospine pieces on it. I fell asleep last night after only making it to the second camp. Spoilers be damned, I'm taking my time with this one.

As others have said, the change to controls didn't seem to impact dodge and parry (those are upgraded on the skills tree), but attacks are quicker to initiate.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I love those exospine pieces on it. I fell asleep last night after only making it to the second camp. Spoilers be damned, I'm taking my time with this one.

As others have said, the change to controls didn't seem to impact dodge and parry (those are upgraded on the skills tree), but attacks are quicker to initiate.
It really is great. Did you get three of the same piece from the 3 bodies in the post/demo sections? I'm beginning to wonder if mine bugged and I need to start over. I got something from each but it wasn't 3 of the same for the HP increase.

Same honestly. I really want to explore every inch of places as I go.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

I don't have the game so not talking from experience, but from what I could grasp Exospines are very important in dictating the type of build you want to prioritize and there's not a ton of them (around 10 or so), so if you find one that matches your playstyle you should probably invest in it?

I know there's one that makes parries and dodges easier which seems very useful no matter how you play, though I guess going for that one means you are losing potential damage by not equipping other exospines that boost certain types of attacks.

Measure

Aug 14, 2020
Wow people weren't lying about the Flooded Sector music damn.

Also the demo was good looking but once the fog clears up, I was really impressed with the art

Oct 26, 2017
Not quite at the start and I'm not far enough in to give details on others (though they exist) but I believe you can get the Kill Bill outfit within the first 6-8hrs.

IMG-4028.jpg
WHERE? I finally found my jacket and jeans, so im good now. But that looks rad
Yes all the ones I got so far focus on different things - stealth, guns, combos, AOE chain lighting (lul is this diablo)

Oct 25, 2017
The sound is pretty weak huh. It also seems to not like receivers.

I knew about the Dolby Atmos issue when playing with an AVR, but switching to LPCM doesn't help me, it still plays in stereo. I can get 7.1 if I use Dolby Audio, but everything sounds kind of muffled and lacking low end. LPCM sounds filler even though just playing stereo, which is incredibly weird since normally the opposite is true. Upmixing from 7.1 to 7.1.4 does work well though, mostly sending music to the heights. I might use a headset for now.

HDR highlights looks great on my s95D, but I need to check out the SDR grading to see if it's supposed to have that hazy, washed out look. Setting the contrast up two clicks completely fixes it, but there's definitely a lot of crush

The menu looks infinitely better, the background is actually black and there's more depth to Eve's suit. In-game, at least in this ruined city area, also looks really good but anything dark just gets swallowed up in black.

It might just be similar to RE2, where some areas are just graded like this. I don't have any issue with that, just want to know what is the original intent.

The game itself is good so far, even though I'm very early still. I never played the demo, so it's a bit slower than I expected but that's fine. I was never great at Sekiro's parry gameplay, but this feels pretty good.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a button to center the camera behind the character? I couldn't figure it out in the demo and I'm hoping there is one.