• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 5, 2017
I'm loving the game so far. Easily my GOTY pick for now. Taking my time and exploring everything, so I'm going kind of slow. Playing on normal, the difficulty feels just right. I might need to make a couple attempts at a boss, but it never gets to the point of frustration. Hoping I can unlock more outfits soon, only have two so far, both of them planet diving suits which yeah those are good, but I need more.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Oh thanks guys didn't know Exospines were so different from each other, really curious to see the rest of them

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Oct 25, 2017
i think the game has a black level mismatch, at least on my setup. Only in HDR though.

In SDR everything looks right when settings are on auto or matched. In HDR those settings get very washed out. Setting the TV to low and PS5 to full completely fixes it. It looks the same as in SDR, but with the added highlights and depth of HDR.

I don't know if this is an issue with the game or my setup, it is a brand new TV so it's possible, but in the week I've had it I haven't ran into this problem.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
i think the game has a black level mismatch, at least on my setup. Only in HDR though.

In SDR everything looks right when settings are on auto or matched. In HDR those settings get very washed out. Setting the TV to low and PS5 to full completely fixes it. It looks the same as in SDR, but with the added highlights and depth of HDR.

I don't know if this is an issue with the game or my setup, it is a brand new TV so it's possible, but in the week I've had it I haven't ran into this problem.
All I know is the game isn't using the PS5's hdr settings, which is something I had hoped they'd address in the day one patch. I'm also unsure if VRR is actually being used properly. Performance-wise, great achievements were made. Far from perfect on the technical side though.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
18f1aa4892679-screenshot-Url.jpg

This hairstyle with the half rim glasses is really cute. Gives her a more mature vibe.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is the easy mode? Actually easy?
Based on the demo, not the actual game, I played on Story mode due to having problems with my pary timings.
My problem then was that the Story mode (though not completely brain dead) is then too easy (though you can disable pary/ dodge prompts).
I wish there was an Easy mode in between Story and Normal.

Dec 5, 2017
All I know is the game isn't using the PS5's hdr settings, which is something I had hoped they'd address in the day one patch. I'm also unsure if VRR is actually being used properly. Performance-wise, great achievements were made. Far from perfect on the technical side though.
If your TV has a setting to display its VRR info, you can double-check it.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I really wish they'd give us a proper peak brightness setting or use the system's. tying it to overall brightness was a…choice.

For what it's worth, playing on Balanced mode, I haven't noticed a single frame drop. Seems like VRR is working as intended. I did just uncheck "allow on unsupported games" and the TV shows as having it off in game though. So I guess it's working, but at a system level not built into the game.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, I really wish they'd give us a proper peak brightness setting or use the system's. tying it to overall brightness was a…choice.

For what it's worth, playing on Balanced mode, I haven't noticed a single frame drop. Seems like VRR is working as intended. I did just uncheck "allow on unsupported games" and the TV shows as having it off in game though. So I guess it's working, but at a system level not built into the game.
That's what's weird to me. Is SB an unsupported game? If so, why?

Gwynn

Mar 2, 2019
Finally starting in a few hours omg omg omg ┗|`O′|┛

(╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
3 hours in or so, got to the main city. Importing my save the boss was definitely harder then when i went through the demo. A bit of acclimating and buying the easier Parry, Dodge, Blue/Purple upgrades and it's been smoother sailing. I don't think normal is too hard at all here and you can very easily run pass monsters if you ended up dying to falling of a cliff multiple times.

What i've noticed from the backstab upgrade is that i could still do it while running at an enemy from behind, maybe even easier then trying to sneak. Have run past soldier bodies as they blended a bit into the background so the touchpad scan has helped point me in the right direction.

Can't wait to play more tonight.

Finally starting in a few hours omg omg omg ┗|`O′|┛
Enjoy the ride ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's been true for awhile what with TLOU2 but I do still stop and think how wild it is that in-game player character models are this detailed in modern games

cewfce.jpg

Just hopped back on for a bit and pushed a little further before I have to run to town. Nothing new on the sexualisation front but I've really just been exploring/fighting so there's been little occasion for it. The exploration continues to really stand out to me, there are so many little areas to poke at and be curious around and they almost all have a little currency if not an item or crate. I'll see a little ledge somewhere and think hmm and go look and yeh you'll be able to climb down, across and up and – in this instance – get an armour cosmetic for the drone. Easily missable things that I appreciate are there for those who do obsess and poke at all the corners haha. It's extra nice when it's somewhere with detail or a nice element to it, like the room with the eternal flower.

Taking my time with the game. Started from scratch despite the hours dump in the demo so I'm not in any rush, other than to find a new costume lol. Soundtrack is super good too, it's been posted a few times but 'Flooded Commercial Sector' really hit with good headphones. Story is passable, I'm not really that far in but the hall of records dialogue has me leaning to the prediction I made pre-release, though it being flagged this early does suggest it's likely to be subverted.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I made it to Xion without activating a single waypoint. I didn't know I had to interact with the phones to do so lol.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I made it to Xion without activating a single waypoint. I didn't know I had to interact with the phones to do so lol.
I'm pretty sure you didn't have to in the demo? I never used them until the parking garage and was able to bounce back to the one by the ship for example. If that's changed then put me on the 'oops' pile too as I've not wanted to fast travel so haven't touched them either.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering, the Kill Bill outfit can be found in the side quest "Life of the Scavengers". It's a side quest that becomes available after completing the main objetive in the Wasteland. I can say this for sure, because I just found the recolor on NG+.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Might just apply to phones that are not part of a Full Camp (Circle Around It)? I don't think i touched the phones except for one before the city and could jump in between them?

might have to start a new save file to confirm

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
For those wondering, the Kill Bill outfit can be found in the side quest "Life of the Scavengers". It's a side quest that becomes available after completing the main objetive in the Wasteland. I can say this for sure, because I just found the recolor on NG+.
Very useful to have in mind, thank you!
Would you mind telling me the recolour in spoilers? I'm curious what colour(s) they made it!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah John from Digital Foundry suggested bumping up the HDR settings to match what is best for your set.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
I'm really loving my time with it. I'm about 4 hours in. My only critique is that dialogue is bad. Like, really bad. There are moments where the characters are talking that are making think "yikes".

They just occasionally say really awkward things. As if it's an AI's interpretation of how a human being speaks. It's especially noticeable when you talk to random NPCs in Xion.

I'm intrigued by the overall plot though.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
It's been true for awhile what with TLOU2 but I do still stop and think how wild it is that in-game player character models are this detailed in modern games

cewfce.jpg

Just hopped back on for a bit and pushed a little further before I have to run to town. Nothing new on the sexualisation front but I've really just been exploring/fighting so there's been little occasion for it. The exploration continues to really stand out to me, there are so many little areas to poke at and be curious around and they almost all have a little currency if not an item or crate. I'll see a little ledge somewhere and think hmm and go look and yeh you'll be able to climb down, across and up and – in this instance – get an armour cosmetic for the drone. Easily missable things that I appreciate are there for those who do obsess and poke at all the corners haha. It's extra nice when it's somewhere with detail or a nice element to it, like the room with the eternal flower.

Taking my time with the game. Started from scratch despite the hours dump in the demo so I'm not in any rush, other than to find a new costume lol. Soundtrack is super good too, it's been posted a few times but 'Flooded Commercial Sector' really hit with good headphones. Story is passable, I'm not really that far in but the hall of records dialogue has me leaning to the prediction I made pre-release, though it being flagged this early does suggest it's likely to be subverted.
yeah Exploration is definetely great in this game though I don't like traversal that much, (I don't know if this would change mid game) I miss some kind of Nier Automata dash and double jump (this for sure will be available).

And I am too desperate finding new outfits that are acceptable and cool but I would have loved if early game more outfits were available, with the amount of exploration that the game has some rewards are pretty mediocre and it still feels good because exploration sometimes rewards itself for the sake of explorate and finding something secret.

Apart from the obvious objectivization of Eve and how out of tone those camera angles and sexual stuff in the game, I really don't like dialogues in these games, like Eve and Adam have so much dumb dialogue like it was written by a teenager because it is sooo badly written and is not like there are few dialogues, the game is following a story and characters talk from time to time.

Combat is good truth be told, it really reminds me of Sekiro but also Lies of P which is a good thing, I don't really have much complain about the combat. Maybe that basic attacks don't leap to the target in short distance and you really have to be close to the target to be able to hit, it feels like you are forced to do the long press triangle attack to gap close and it feels weird, some timing in mikiris are weird but you can get use to. Also dodges are weird, you can double dodge but I don't really get the flow of it.

Overall a good game tinted by the decision of objectivity Eve and others characters for no reason because this game could potentially stand out for its own without having to attrack the male gaze, and it is sad.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Omg you're right! Great catch! Urgh that's a cool outfit.

Yup, and I think you were right in your assumption about the white dress with blue colar possibly being a recolor of the black&red dress, since the white one doesn't appear in the videos with all the outfits. So it's either a recolor of that one from NG+ or something that they'll add later as DLC.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's stupid how much better the game looks with film grain turned off, holy.

Yup, and I think you were right in your assumption about the white dress with blue colar possibly being a recolor of the black&red dress, since the white one doesn't appear in the videos with all the outfits. So it's either a recolor of that one from NG+ or something that they'll add later as DLC.
Oh touché, that's interesting too, thanks! Definitely gives NG+ a decent incentive when it expands the options for the outfits you do like in the game.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Game is sooo much fun. Im loving the exploration too. You can always find some shit everywhere. Such a good and polished product. Its a shame that photo mode is not available yet. Im gonna save my new game+ hard playthrough for when it comes out. My only "issue" so far is that i find the game a bit easy, but im still early ofc maybe it will change

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Found the Wasteland Adventurer recolor in NG+. Picture in spoiler.

Stellar-Blade_20240426165230-scaled.jpg

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I unexpectedly got a digital deluxe code so I guess I'll be playing this sooner than I expected!

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
So I grabbed my copy after work, got home and immediately heard an almighty YOINK and realised my daughter has now stolen my copy and I'm unlikely to get near it again until she's done.
Ah well, I have Rebirth to finish anyway. Glad you all seem to be having fun though

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Game has STYLE

They way you auto spin around when approaching a ladder from the wrong side, so simple so amazing. Need a GIF

Oct 25, 2017
brightness/contrast settings folks are using? I cannot seem to wrangle these in a way I find suitable :D

If you check my posts earlier, I think the game has a black level mismatch issue in HDR.

from my testing the PS5 needs to be at Full and the TV to Low in order to look correct. In SDR everything looks as it should when they're matched. Bumping the contrast up to 60 while matched in HDR looks very close, but something seems off with the menu colours and makes me hesitant to use that.

In SDR and matched properly, the settings menu has clear dark gradient from blue>grey>black. In HDR when matched that gradient washes out to pretty much light grey. Bumping the contrast doesn't solve this, but the rest of the game looks similar.

Now, in HDR with TV Low/PS5 High, that menu gradient is back with all three colours, and the rest of the game looks proper as well.

So, at least on my TV, either default settings with RGB mismatch or proper RGB with contrast at 60.