• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Lost interest in it long time ago, but I'm happy it's reviewing well for those interested still.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If someone dislikes the sexualization of Eve enough to feel real life embarrassment from playing it, I think they shouldn't play it. I mean why would you even want to spend money on it at all if it made you feel that way?

I've played plenty of games where I would be embarrassed if a friend saw me playing certain scenes or with certain outfits. It isn't "mental gymnastics" to try to figure this it where your line is here.

It's perfectly okay to have strong feelings about the pieces of media we consume while still enjoying them.

Personally, for me while I see both sides of the argument. I just think at some point you have to decide this game is or is not for me. It's really not to intended to be dismissive of anybody just acknowledging that some may find this game offensive and others may not and you just have to make that decision.
There's not really a both sides here though. The idea that if you're conflicted about a piece of media and want to disscuss that conflict being "mental gymnastics" so you shouldn't play at all is a purely dismissive one.

I'm not saying it was the most dismissive take ever, nor that your own post is, but we could definitely do without these kind of takes. They are inherently dismissive and add nothing to the conversation.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's perfectly reasonable to give the Stellar Blade devs benefit of the doubt for that "hard r" thing.

But I will say, if only there was a company that Sony regular consults that could have helped Shift Up notice this before it made it past the finish line. hmmmmmmmm.
I know that thread was locked, and really don't want to derail the conversation; but as a non-native English speaker, today was the first time I found out about this slur.

Honestly, when I saw the image, I thought they meant "harder", which in my mind made complete sense given the misogynistic nature of the game.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
yeah this is where I'm at. I'm not sure why bayo and nier were completely okay for me but something about this character design is weirding me out? No judgement towards people who play this though

It's funny, I was also fine with Nier Automata once upon a time, but I feel like Stellar Blade pulled the veil from my eyes or something. I don't think I could go back to it now.

Not saying everyone needs to renounce past stuff, but I think I just registered that even though Nier has some really solid narrative meat on its bones, the sexualization really has the about the same amount of justification as SB. I can sit here and try to retroactively justify it by saying Nier genuinely had few (none?) exploitative cutscenes and the camera was pretty fucking tame (outside of when it was player controlled), but...who am I kidding, right?

I think in my old age I'm getting to a point where if I find something fundamental to a game personally distasteful, I am less and less likely to look past it in the name of having some cheap fun (which I could do with a zillion games that don't grate against my core values or whatever).

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The sexualization problem aside (which is an actual problem) I don't think Eve being dull is a problem at all, nor the weak story. They are both basically staples of Souls likes. It's not like this dude was oozing big personality:

I mean, it's not like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry have award worthy stories. They do have charm but man... they're difficult for me to tolerate.

Oct 26, 2017
You're expecting a lot from reviewers. I know we should expect more, but you won't see that kind of in depth combat reviews from your run of the mill day one reviewer.
Its still disappointing when reviewers like Mitch (who have a history with action games) say its defensive with enemies doing uninterruptable long strings, when thats only true for entry level play. The games combat system highly rewards interrupting enemies using beta finishers, counters & perfect dodges.....its one of the most aggressive games out there.
The derivative line is also wild considering how hard this game iterates upon sekiro. It completely replaces Sekiros r1l1 spam with a deep & rewarding combo system.

Like dam I got problems with this games jank, but as far as gameplay goes derivative is the last thing I would call it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love that review - "You can like Stellar Blade's sexualisation without going on a hate campaign against all other types of women in games, and women working in the games space, but then admitting that would make too much sense." Truer words were never written.

I think playing this game, and understanding and identifying that overt sexualization is at its core and fundamental to the game identity is a huge part of it though. Developer's choice, and vision - that's their call. I do wonder what it may have looked like without it, but considering that was a primary focus and it went viral because of it, I don't see how it would be detached from that. I mean if you're in for an action adventure game with a ton of outfits, you've come to the right place. The spirit of Itagaki is alive and well.

That end bit about the hack and slash, or odd dialogue is actually hilariously endearing. It's like let's talk about the fighting mechanics of DOA without mentioning those outfits, such good core mechanics! Or maybe the brilliance of Bayonetta's combat but maybe don't mention the climax punishment poses! I don't think there is any avoidance of it, and I think it does disservice to pretend it wasn't a core pillar of design. Alongside all of its strongest aspects, good and bad.

Well said

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
I've played plenty of games where I would be embarrassed if a friend saw me playing certain scenes or with certain outfits. It isn't "mental gymnastics" to try to figure this it where your line is here.

It's perfectly okay to have strong feelings about the pieces of media we consume while still enjoying them.

There's not really a both sides here though. The idea that if you're conflicted about a piece of media and want to disscuss that conflict being "mental gymnastics" so you shouldn't play at all is a purely dismissive one.

I'm not saying it was the most dismissive take ever, nor that your own post is, but we could definitely do without these kind of takes. They are inherently dismissive and add nothing to the conversation.
That's fair, people have different standards and all so you're right but I was applying my own standards to that reply, and personally probably wouldn't play a game that made me feel like that and especially not at 70 dollars.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
Yeah I just didn't read "mental gymnastics" as dismissive more a way to say if you're thinking about this a lot and it bothers you just skip it. It's probably just not worth the concern at that point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just didn't read "mental gymnastics" as dismissive more a way to say if you're thinking about this a lot and it bothers you just skip it. It's probably just not worth the concern at that point.
The term is inherently dismissive here as it is boiling down the conflict people have to "making excuses" to play, like it's somehow a dishonest process to discuss that conflict and also play the game.

Telling people they shouldn't play if this happens is the same.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Question for reviewers, since I know there are some who have posted in here.

I unironically, really like Nikke's characters/story, I find it's actually pretty good at being serious, funny, and sad when it needs to be...

But when I played the Stellar Blade demo, all the things I liked about Nikke's writing, I felt were completely absent. Every character that showed up seemed as boring as boring could be, no big personalities to bounce off each other.

Is there any reviewers who have played both who can compare? Cause from the reviews I read, it does seem like my fear of all that charm being completely absent in Stellar Blade seems like it's true.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The sexualization problem aside (which is an actual problem) I don't think Eve being dull is a problem at all, nor the weak story. They are both basically staples of Souls likes. It's not like this dude was oozing big personality:
The problem is that her personality doesn't match her actions, posing, outfit or anything, she moves and poses like Bayonetta while being a completely dull and boring character who barely shows any expression.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
yeah this is going to be another xenoblade 2 for me. Timestamped:

View: https://youtu.be/JDuiRFC965Q?t=867

that shit just makes me go

giphy.gif

There shall be a lot of eye rolling with this game :(

Apr 19, 2018
Think I saw some reviews mention the option to choose multi-language tracks, but is Japanese among them for non-JP versions of the game?

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 3, 2022
Eve being a blank slate type of character seems inspired by 2B. Even in the demo she learns things as she goes. I suspect her personality does develop over the course of the game even if the characters here aren't deep.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Eve being a blank slate type of character seems inspired by 2B. Even in the demo she learns things as she goes. I suspect her personality does develop over the course of the game even if the characters here aren't deep.

From most of the reviews that I've seen, her personality doesn't get any better.

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 3, 2022
From most of the reviews that I've seen, her personality doesn't get any better.
There have been some differing views on the story that I've seen. Polygon and Fightincowboy both think the story becomes pretty entertaining by the end with some twists. I'm not convinced she doesn't develop more of a personality.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
User banned (2 months): Dismissing concerns of sexism, severe priors (ban reduced following successful appeal)
I'm curious on two things because I'm only vaguely paying attention to the discourse on this game:

1 - is there some level of misogyny or sexualization in this game that's more than just characters being unnaturally attractive?

2 - are characters being unnaturally attractive ethically bad somehow?

Personally I'm hypersexual and enjoy seeing sexuality in media/art, but I'm also bisexual and would prefer it not just being cishet male sexuality being catered to. I don't know if there's like inherently a problem with characters being hypersexualized but I'm open to trying to understand how that's ethically bad or harmful as that seems like what most of the discussion is about

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
For a first go at a big budget console game after being a mobile developer, and in a country without an extensive games industry for console releases, seems like they did a pretty great job at reorganizing and expanding into a capable large scale studio. One to watch for their future titles.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Shucks. Do we know why this is again? Was it contractual reasons with the voice actors?

Can anyone confirm which languages are featured, specifically for the North American version?

Alongside the demo, the full game will feature the following language options:

Voice Over: Korean, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Latin Spanish.

Text: Korean, English (US), French, Italian, German, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Arabic, Turkish, Thai, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese.

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021
User banned (2 months): Dismissive commentary around sexualization, relevant prior
I'm curious on two things because I'm only vaguely paying attention to the discourse on this game:

1 - is there some level of misogyny or sexualization in this game that's more than just characters being unnaturally attractive?

Personally I'm hypersexual and enjoy seeing sexuality in media/art, but I'm also bisexual and would prefer it not just being cishet male sexuality being catered to. I don't know if there's like inherently a problem with characters being hypersexualized but I'm open to trying to understand how that's ethically bad or harmful as that seems like what most of the discussion is about

If you watch women on YouTube play the demo, all the ones I've seen enjoyed the experience. If they can, you should not feel bad about playing it either.

EntelechyFuff

Nov 19, 2019

If you switch from "vaguely paying attention to the discourse" to engaging genuinely with what's already been written in this thread (and really, all over the forum), you may find some answers. :)

I'm not trying to rag on you, but you gotta see how your post sounds, right? "I don't care and haven't been paying attention...what's the big deal?"

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 3, 2022

From Gamespot's review - "As for the game's controversial sexiness, I found it to largely be nothing notable as either a pro or a con. The only time it became anything more than window dressing for me was a twinge of annoyance when quests or exploration yielded naught but another dress that gives no stat benefits. I would have preferred something that makes me stronger rather than yet another skintight suit, as if I did not already possess an inventory full of them. That EVE has breasts was immaterial to the rest of the game beyond her character model and only really novel in its opening hours."

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If you switch from "vaguely paying attention to the discourse" to engaging genuinely with what's already been written in this thread (and really, all over the forum), you may find some answers. :)

I'm not trying to rag on you, but you gotta see how your post sounds, right? "I don't care and haven't been paying attention...what's the big deal?"

I mean that's why I made that post, I'm trying to understand what makes this game toxic to a lot of people - all I've seen is that the main character is like superhumanly attractive with a BBL seemingly lol, so I'm trying to see if there's something deeper than that to the sexuality aspect itself or its just literally the main character's character model that's being critiqued like this basically, and then past that, how that's bad

I'm legitimately curious, I work in the adult industry with lots of sex workers so I'm hyper normalized to sexuality and it's not something I inherently think is bad

Paine

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns over sexism

I think their general point is that the character is only sexualised for the male gaze, but unless the developers have said/implied that (I'm unaware so idk), then I don't think it's a very fair criticism. Criticise people like Kojima for things like the Quiet situation all you want, but boycotting/attacking a game simply because the character has a certain body type is so outdated. They try to use the 'real women' defence, but there are plenty of women that look like that, and they are just as valid as the women that look like Ellie or Aloy.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you watch women on YouTube play the demo, all the ones I've seen enjoyed the experience. If they can, you should not feel bad about playing it either.
Nah. Let's not start using women who enjoy the game as a blanket means to dismiss concerns or discussion around the sexualisation within it.

EntelechyFuff

Nov 19, 2019
I mean that's why I made that post, I'm trying to understand what makes this game toxic to a lot of people - all I've seen is that the main character is like superhumanly attractive with a BBL seemingly lol, so I'm trying to see if there's something deeper than that to the sexuality aspect itself or its just literally the main character's character model that's being critiqued like this basically, and then past that, how that's bad

I'm legitimately curious, I work in the adult industry with lots of sex workers so I'm hyper normalized to sexuality and it's not something I inherently think is bad
Oh we're doing this whole thing.

I guess I'll just reiterate that this thread (and others!) are here for you to read at your leisure, whenever you have an available moment in your busy schedule. No rush, of course.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I think their general point is that the character is only sexualised for the male gaze, but unless the developers have said/implied that (I'm unaware so idk), then I don't think it's a very fair criticism. Criticise people like Kojima for things like the Quiet situation all you want, but boycotting/attacking a game simply because the character has a certain body type is so outdated. They try to use the 'real women' defence, but there are plenty of women that look like that, and they are just as valid as the women that look like Ellie or Aloy.
No one is critzizing this game because of a certain body type. How disingenuous is this?! This is about her portrayal, her outfits, her lack of agency over it, her freaking water ballon boob giggles that arefront an center, her lack of a personality, the male gaze over her body and the background of the developer being anti-feminist.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I believe it's the way the camera focuses on her body, as well as the dumb jiggle physics in idle and attack animations.

As well as the devs being pretty awful and sexist themselves.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Cazy0dW.gif

God this game brings out the worst in people

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 3, 2022
User Banned (1 Month) : Dismissing concerns of sexism and misogyny over multiple posts
Are jiggle physics really that egregious? Should they be rock solid? They aren't as ridiculous as like old DOA games for example. That one clip I saw of her hanging on the ladder looked silly but it didn't exactly seem intentional considering they don't move like that in cutscenes.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I think their general point is that the character is only sexualised for the male gaze, but unless the developers have said/implied that (I'm unaware so idk), then I don't think it's a very fair criticism.

The developer from Shift Up has 100% said that Eve was made the way that she is because it's what he wants. An attractive woman to look at. To say that Eve wasn't designed with the "male gaze" in mind is really disingenuous.

Famous quote from Kim himself, "When it comes to the design, we put special attention on the back of the character because the player is always facing the back of the character when they're playing," he said. "That's what they see the most of, so we thought this was pretty important."

Apr 19, 2018
Alongside the demo, the full game will feature the following language options:

Voice Over: Korean, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Latin Spanish.

Text: Korean, English (US), French, Italian, German, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Arabic, Turkish, Thai, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese.

Thanks for confirming!

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Are jiggle physics really that egregious? Should they be rock solid? They aren't as ridiculous as like old DOA games for example. That one clip I saw of her hanging on the ladder looked silly but it didn't exactly seem intentional considering they don't move like that in cutscenes.
Not intentional? Can we please be honest here. Half their marketing campaign was based on her character design, her being in this skin tight suit and boobs and ass shots. Come on. There is a freaking naked suit in this game. Why do we need to defend this dev? Just say you like the game for it's merits and don't defend them about their problematic behaviours.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

More egregious to me is how few make it look realistic and not unlike a plate of jell-o that someone won't stop shaking

But then it's not about realism but selling a hypsexed doll.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why ask the question if you're just going to answer it with what you want to hear.