• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Reaction of my Korean fiancée (artist, no gamer except Animal Crossing) to the demo and full game, because people here asked about women reactions: "she's so cute. She has so nice skin!" 🤪
Now I have to wait to play more because she wants to watch me playing. She's proud of a big Korean project getting international recognition.

Only played around one hour and can't wait to get back into it. Much more fun than FF7 Remake, that I finally finished after 2 years yesterday 😇
She is cute. She does have nice skin (I guess). She's also dressed stupidly, which isn't helped by the often invasive camera angles.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
Mod edit: We do not provide a platform for this creator or their content. Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
To be honest, you sounding defensive in your review was a big part which I had a problem with. I get that this might hit close to home for you, but in my opinion this is more so a problem of misogyny, of how women being treated and to read of a men dismissing the concerns of women and how uncomfortable they feel about this, took me back. Your talk about Korean culture sounded to me like an excuse why we shouldn't judge it too hard. In this very thread you induldged in what'saboutisms though bringing in Mass Effect, in another try to say this isn't as worse - again, a men telling us this isn't as worse as we think and feel. You said you felt uncomfortable about this discussion, but apparently don't see why some of us feel more than just uncomfortable when looking at this game.

I'm sure you didn't mean any ill Intent, but that's how I sadly read your review.

i do very easily see why people would find this uncomfortable. im not invalidating anyobe perspective im just explaining and clarifying mine. im not defending korean culture im explaining it. just because i don't attack my own culture doesn't mean im defending it. i hope thats easy to understand. just as you don't appreciate hearing men explain what you don't think is wrong, i hope you can understand why i would feel uncomfortable about discussing negative aspects about my culture.

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
Sorry if this has been gone over a million times already, but it does feel a bit strange to say the game has nothing to do with a culture war, given how sexualised the female characters are. I'm sure there is also a way in which a lot of this might feel like a criticism against the fact that Eve is Korean, which I really hope is not intended.

I totally agree it would be absolutely wrong to suggest that the game is a problem because of the ethnicity of the people who developed it, or because Eve is a Korean woman. It really sucks that people are so focussed on this game, that happens to have been developed by the producers of Nikke, when there are so many great Korean developed games (Lies of P, Dave the Diver, Skul, Sanabi, etc) that don't have this kind of objectification.

Also really curious how Eve is Korean coded (I only very briefly played the demo)? I wonder if this is something a lot of people miss, but then criticism of Eve kind of feels different for people who see it.

to be quite honest, i do feel like some of it feels xenophobic or at least an unfamiliarity with korean sexual expression. as kim says in my piece and i agree with him, the games market has had countless products from other countries featuring bosom sexy characters. this is just korea's version of it, problematic as anyone else's depiction.

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
There are examples people have shared showing the way the camera focuses clearly on Eve's backside during combat, to the point it produces upskirt shots if she's wearing a skirt. There are definitely moments where the game makes a big deal out of this.

yes and i played the whole game, im judging the entire game not isolated clips. also nier automata did this as well and the skirt was default?

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
so just to take a somewhat different tack here for a sec, I do actually really appreciate a review that focuses more on the... korean-ness of the game. I'm not korean-american myself (a friend of mine completed mandatory service last year, but that's about as close as I get to the country) but have always kind of felt that korean culture, outside of k-pop, kind of sometimes struggles for recognition in the shadows of its neighbors. this has changed a bit recently (post-parasite, maybe?) but the trend is still there.

and so I can understand that it is a really big deal to see a major korean game be supported and celebrated to this extent. it feels like a big deal in video games - the rare instance that an openly korean game hasn't just been seen as "a korean game" (often a pejorative, e.g. "korean mmos" being their own genre that is stereotyped as uh... often exploitative), and is instead treated with the seriousness that korean games often aren't. and I think this was a great opportunity to speak about being korean, with all its positives and negatives, and the way that reflects in such a game. it was exactly the type of perspective that I was hoping to see at some point, and I'm glad you provided it.

not trying to take away from the rest of the discussion, just wanted to say this while the opportunity arose.

thank you that's exactly what i was hoping to provide. to the best of my ability i tried to interview a korean researcher or educator on gender politics, but they did not wish to comment. i wanted a more complete picture but i still wanted to provide the cultural context.

Plague-Doctor

Oct 23, 2023
i do very easily see why people would find this uncomfortable. im not invalidating anyobe perspective im just explaining and clarifying mine. im not defending korean culture im explaining it. just because i don't attack my own culture doesn't mean im defending it. i hope thats easy to understand. just as you don't appreciate hearing men explain what you don't think is wrong, i hope you can understand why i would feel uncomfortable about discussing negative aspects about my culture.

It's hard as hell to differentiate between providing a reason for something vs providing an excuse/defense for it, even in a real life conversation. Nearly impossible to express those nuances online. I thought you did a fair job of it but it's very easy to misread things these days

I did appreciate you adding some cultural context to the game and enjoyed the read.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
yes and i played the whole game, im judging the entire game not isolated clips. also nier automata did this as well and the skirt was default?
The clips I have seen are far, far more pronounced than any of those other games... Especially as the character is even more overtly sexualized with all the ridiculous jiggle.

Other games have been bad yes, but this is clearly taking it further and has its fair share of fanserbice nonsense.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What else is there this year?

The only other worth while titles released so far are Rebirth (Most likely going to win), DD2, Tekken 8 (Fighting games never get nominated except Smash AFAIK) and that Yakuza game.

SB definitely has a chance.
These have potential to be considered by various outlets or critics, from indie to AAA.

January:-
Prince Of Persia: The Lost Crown
No Case Should Remain Unsolved
Lil' Guardsman
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Tekken 8

February:-
Helldivers 2
Balatro
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island

March:-
Unicorn Overlord
Death Of A Wish
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin

April:-
Children Of The Sun
Botany Manor
Another Crab's Treasure
Minishoot' Adventures

May:-
Animal Well
Lorelei and the Laser Eyes
Homeworld 3
Hellblade 2
World Of Goo
Nine Sols

June:-
Still Wakes The Deep

July:-
Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus
SCHiM
Frostpunk 2

August:-
Dustborn
Star Wars Outlaws
Steamworld Heist 2

September:-
STALKER 2

October:-
Metaphor: ReFantazio

These don't have release dates yet:-
Hades 2
The Rise of the Golden Idol
The Plucky Squire
Thank Goodness You're Here!
The Alters
Replaced
Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
Forever Skies
Flock
Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn
Baby Steps
Anger Foot
1000xRESIST

Last edited:

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Hades 2
The Plucky Squire
The Alters
Replaced
Forever Skies
Flock
Baby Steps
Anger Foot
1000xRESIST
Metaphor: ReFantazio is October 11, 2024.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
These have potential to be considered by various outlets or critics, from indie to AAA.

Lil' Guardsman
Tekken 8

Helldivers 2
Balatro

Unicorn Overlord
Death Of A Wish
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin

Children Of The Sun
Botany Manor
Another Crab's Treasure
Minishoot' Adventures

Animal Well
Homeworld 3
Hellblade 2
World Of Goo
Nine Sols

Still Wakes The Deep

SCHiM
Frostpunk 2

Dustborn
Star Wars Outlaws
Steamworld Heist 2

STALKER 2

Hades 2
The Plucky Squire
The Alters
Replaced
Forever Skies
Flock
Baby Steps
Anger Foot
1000xRESIST
1000 X Resist is out next month
wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Age snaks into the running.
There's also Awoved

I

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Lil' Guardsman
Tekken 8

Helldivers 2
Balatro

Unicorn Overlord
Death Of A Wish
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin

Children Of The Sun
Botany Manor
Another Crab's Treasure
Minishoot' Adventures

Animal Well
Homeworld 3
Hellblade 2
World Of Goo
Nine Sols

Still Wakes The Deep

SCHiM
Frostpunk 2

Dustborn
Star Wars Outlaws
Steamworld Heist 2

STALKER 2

October:-

Hades 2
The Plucky Squire
The Alters
Replaced
Forever Skies
Flock
Baby Steps
Anger Foot
1000xRESIST
Metaphor releases in Oct

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
The clips I have seen are far, far more pronounced than any of those other games... Especially as the character is even more overtly sexualized with all the ridiculous jiggle.

Other games have been bad yes, but this is clearly taking it further and has its fair share of fanserbice nonsense.

sure the costumes are definitely worse than your typical game. austin wood's piece on games radar (?) was really nice in talking about how silly the outfits are (especially offering an ace perspective), but also admiring some of their design and eve's character overall.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
i hope you can understand why i would feel uncomfortable about discussing negative aspects about my culture.
I think being a German did not make me think of this aspect of your point / argumentation too much until now. In my country we are very anti-patriotistic and we are used to being criticized from ourselves and others. In general we rarely have the desire to defend parts of our culture, so maybe - because I viewed it out of this lense - I was so taken a back by these parts in your review? I am not sure, but I thank you for coming in here to engage with our opinions on your review, even though we probably still don't align - which is totally fine.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024

Lil' Guardsman
Tekken 8

Helldivers 2
Balatro

Unicorn Overlord
Death Of A Wish
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin

Children Of The Sun
Botany Manor
Another Crab's Treasure
Minishoot' Adventures

The only one of those games already released that I can guarantee will be on the GOTY list is Rebirth, given the critical reception.

The rest are on a "depends what else comes out, so maybe" list.

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
I think being a German did not make me think of this aspect of your point / argumentation too much until now. In my country we are very anti-patriotistic and we are used to being criticized from ourselves and others. In general we rarely have the desire to defend parts of our culture, so maybe - because I viewed it out of this lense - I was so taken a back by these parts in your review? I am not sure, but I thank you for coming in here to engage with our opinions on your review, even though we probably still don't align - which is totally fine.

thank you for the discussion and for reading my piece! 🙏🏻 truly appreciate it

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

And honestly as bad as the excuses are in those games... they're also made for male gaze, despite their "deeper" meanings. Though Bayonetta was designed by a woman, who would actually troll Kamiya's requests (she gave every character glasses, including male ones because he was into glasses on women or something. She was also given far more agency than Eve) Nier and most of Yoko Taro's works tie womens sexuality thematically with the game's narrative and plot.

Yes that is dumb, and a lazy excuse. In Automata's case he was trying to make some statement about the player abusing the characters for their own satisfaction... which I thought wasn't as clever as he thought it was. Same with Kaine being over-sexualized, though she is at the very least given more agency than 2B. Same with Drakengard 3 having women only be defined by their sexual experiences... It's shit because men constantly reduce their female characters to their sexuality for narrative and selfish reasons. So when men do it in the name "art" it feels shallow, and very gross, especially to female audiences who are constantly reduced to their sexuality in media all the time (most times in stories written by men.)

It's no different here, though it feels particularly more egregious when you know the allegations against the company, the basic plot, and the lack of character agency. You could say something about the developer being mask off about their desires, but I think that's not really an excuse when it's a persistent and real problem in the industry both historic and modern.

I'm sure there are cultural reasons, but I think misogyny is so universally understood to be bad, that no amount of cultural background can really excuse stuff of this nature.

In the case of this game, I can see how comparisons with other games of it's ilk is warranted, but I also think if we're going to do that - you have to see why those games are accepted more now than they were when the discussion was more active on their negative aspects. Who knows, maybe Shift Up has some "deeper meaning" to Eve being hypersexualized and objectified too and people just don't know it yet... but I'm not going to play the game to find out as most of what I've seen looks like bog-standard action faire with no real narrative hooks to pull you in, and the allegations have me mega hesitant as well.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking through X and people are apparently outraged about "MUH CENSORSHIP" in Stellar Blade now because they made some outfits arguably slightly more conservative? Freaking priceless! Not even a game with as ridiculously over the top pandering as this can appease the CHUDs.

If anything I hope some of these dummies piling onto a game that kowtows to their POV will help steer devs away from catering to those crazies.

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
And honestly as bad as the excuses are in those games... they're also made for male gaze, despite their "deeper" meanings. Though Bayonetta was designed by a woman, who would actually troll Kamiya's requests (she gave every character glasses, including male ones because he was into glasses on women or something. She was also given far more agency than Eve) Nier and most of Yoko Taro's works tie womens sexuality thematically with the game's narrative and plot.

Yes that is dumb, and a lazy excuse. In Automata's case he was trying to make some statement about the player abusing the characters for their own satisfaction... which I thought wasn't as clever as he thought it was. Same with Kaine being over-sexualized, though she is at the very least given more agency than 2B. Same with Drakengard 3 having women only be defined by their sexual experiences... It's shit because men constantly reduce their female characters to their sexuality for narrative and selfish reasons. So when men do it in the name "art" it feels shallow, and very gross, especially to female audiences who are constantly reduced to their sexuality in media all the time (most times in stories written by men.)

It's no different here, though it feels particularly more egregious when you know the allegations against the company, the basic plot, and the lack of character agency. You could say something about the developer being mask off about their desires, but I think that's not really an excuse when it's a persistent and real problem in the industry both historic and modern.

I'm sure there are cultural reasons, but I think misogyny is so universally understood to be bad, that no amount of cultural background can really excuse stuff of this nature.

In the case of this game, I can see how comparisons with other games of it's ilk is warranted, but I also think if we're going to do that - you have to see why those games are accepted more now than they were when the discussion was more active on their negative aspects. Who knows, maybe Shift Up has some "deeper meaning" to Eve being hypersexualized and objectified too and people just don't know it yet... but I'm not going to play the game to find out as most of what I've seen looks like bog-standard action faire with no real narrative hooks to pull you in, and the allegations have me mega hesitant as well.

there actually is a narrative reason for her sexiness too, and her "lack of agency" is part of her arc as i write in my review. she ends the game with much more agency than it starts.

of course don't waste your time if none of it looks convincing. this absolutely isn't nier, if you're a learned sci fi reader this isn't going to change your life. but the reasoning for eve's body is a lot more earnest and believable than kojimas nonsense about quiet at the very least

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
reply continued from above (man im sorry i don't know how to delete posts here lol) it is boring and patriarchal that these are all men led projects that center feminine sexuality as a large part of its theme. again it's why stellar blade isn't anything special either. it's just another game that's like this. it's frustrating and boring.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Though Bayonetta was designed by a woman, who would actually troll Kamiya's requests (she gave every character glasses, including male ones because he was into glasses on women or something.

Sorry to be a pedant but you have this a bit backwards. Kamiya was told by higher-ups that they couldn't put glasses on Bayonetta so he got Shimazaki to sneak glasses onto every single character in the game. Kamiya himself has a pair of sunglasses that he wears all the time and incorporates into his avatar on social media.

By all accounts Mari Shimazaki seemed to have a lot of freedom on the Bayonetta games but it is difficult to define based on our outsider knowledge. In the Eyes of Bayonetta documentary she seems like someone who puts a lot of thought into her work and takes criticism really seriously. Ultimately she did have Kamiya giving the final say over her designs so there is a power dynamic there to account for.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Sorry to be a pedant but you have this a bit backwards. Kamiya was told by higher-ups that they couldn't put glasses on Bayonetta so he got Shimazaki to sneak glasses onto every single character in the game. Kamiya himself has a pair of sunglasses that he wears all the time and incorporates into his avatar on social media.

By all accounts Mari Shimazaki seemed to have a lot of freedom on the Bayonetta games but it is difficult to define based on our outsider knowledge. In the Eyes of Bayonetta documentary she seems like someone who puts a lot of thought into her work and takes criticism really seriously. Ultimately she did have Kamiya giving the final say over her designs so there is a power dynamic there to account for.

That's quite alright haha! I was shooting from the hip and just trying to recall the glasses thing. Thanks for the more accurate correction on that aspect!

And yeah, Shimazaki seems to like her design of Bayonetta, but at the end of the day Kamiya made it pretty clear he just wanted to make a sexualized main character. It's even prevelent in one of my favorite games of his Wondeful 101... and it grossed me out there too.

there actually is a narrative reason for her sexiness too, and her "lack of agency" is part of her arc as i write in my review. she ends the game with much more agency than it starts.

That's good to hear at least. I just think the concept is a bit tired at this point, and trying to narratively explain fetishized character design (specifically around sexist beauty standards) is a bit old...

That said I need to read your review. I only skimmed it when replied with the link about the allegations.

I love your writing btw. I've read past reviews and thought they were all great!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020
Skill Up's review predictably complete and utter torture as he waffles on about quality of writing for aaaages in his video review. Dude is so clearly trying to make a pitch as a games writer, or trying to weirdly flex about passing English in high school.

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
Skill Up's review predictably complete and utter torture as he waffles on about quality of writing for aaaages in his video review. Dude is so clearly trying to make a pitch as a games writer, or trying to weirdly flex about passing English in high school.

If the last post about this creator didn't fly then I doubt this one will either.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
reply continued from above (man im sorry i don't know how to delete posts here lol) it is boring and patriarchal that these are all men led projects that center feminine sexuality as a large part of its theme. again it's why stellar blade isn't anything special either. it's just another game that's like this. it's frustrating and boring.
Because it's not feminine sexuality whatsoever. Having a hot girl to ogle in hour game with the camera zooming in on her butthole isn't feminine sexuality, it's just your standard objectification.

For instance Baldur's Gate 3 and TLoU2 showcase plenty of sexuality and it's not remotely the same thing. In fact, chuds lost their shit at the feminine sexuality in the latter lol.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Seeing some arguments in here I'm not about to touch :).

Been playing the game, and do any reviews confirm that there is like no death penalty? I'm a little over an hour in, and it seems surprising given it pretty much has souls-like bonfires in it.

StrontiumPawg

Jan 4, 2024
"You don't have to wear the lewd outfits and you'll be fine"

Like that would stop the constant tit jiggle and camera zooming on her ass 🙄
47SgxaF.gif

Yes, I am spoiler-tagging a gif of a fully clothed girl. And you'll see why. Because it's not just about that one outfit, no matter how obtuse some of you are being.

Far out that gif is embarrassing lol

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So I decided to check some of the gameplay to see if the regular moment to moment gameplay was bearable, but plenty of the animations and close ups… like, if you're gonna turn your main character into a "sex icon" (to put it some way), at least give her the personality and independence to match that. It's like the developers were like "she needs to be tame and submissive in the way she acts, otherwise the losers who'll defend our game's sexism won't feel like she's an attainable person and might resent her".

Why the fuck does she point her gun that way? Why the fuck does she pose like that when climbing stairs? Her personality doesn't match the way she moves and does things at all.

genepark

Oct 15, 2019
Washington, D.C.
That's quite alright haha! I was shooting from the hip and just trying to recall the glasses thing. Thanks for the more accurate correction on that aspect!

And yeah, Shimazaki seems to like her design of Bayonetta, but at the end of the day Kamiya made it pretty clear he just wanted to make a sexualized main character. It's even prevelent in one of my favorite games of his Wondeful 101... and it grossed me out there too.

That's good to hear at least. I just think the concept is a bit tired at this point, and trying to narratively explain fetishized character design (specifically around sexist beauty standards) is a bit old...

That said I need to read your review. I only skimmed it when replied with the link about the allegations.

I love your writing btw. I've read past reviews and thought they were all great!

I agree the concept is old and boring. whatever stellar blade has isn't some revolution in narrative design. It's just amother basic action game with an attractive protagonist to fiddle away 20 or so hours.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
Looks like it's went down to 82 with an 84% recommend after 87 reviews on OpenCritic. The OC reviews seem to take a while to come in.

Untitled.jpg

intradictus

Sep 17, 2023
I know it's not ideal to ask for spoilers in a review thread, but any chance you could elaborate on this?
I am playing the game on a borrow copy and have probably about 1/4 of the game to go, and unless there is a "she breathes through her skin" style twist to make me ashamed of my words and deeds there has been no narrative reason for the fact that I have unlocked and can equip several outfits that could at best be described as "swimwear"

intradictus

Sep 17, 2023
Not sure i trust user reviews especially on MC on this game personally, too much culture war surrounding it.
For any game, trusting an aggregated user score is always a bad idea I'm my experience. Lots of people can only gave a 1 or 5 star review, so I find reading the actual text of their reviews tends to yield better results in general

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Coomers are all posting their 10/10, haters just don't care about it, of course user score is going to be real high.

And the game doesn't seem to particularly excite console warriors or the PC Master Race either.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
still, being an exclusive AND the controversy surrounding it, was expecting it to be review bombed

Really? Seems like the chuds that are involved in review bombing are the type to give it success. Unless they're upset about Hard R or vagina bones being patched out.

toppa

Aug 25, 2023
You could argue that the chuds would be review bombing because of the latest censorship "controversy".