• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people don't like 5, 6 and 7 - they are big departures from the rest of the series and get very meta-but I love how crazy it all gets.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
People HATED the Gunslingers gunslinging.
Oh man, i was just pumped to try to figure out what was up with the riders.

I love 5, probably my third favourite behind 4 and 2. I do think 6 and 7 are quite a bit worse though.
I think 6 and 7 move too quickly and probably needed a little more time in the oven to let ideas marinate and then edit into something a bit better. King's date with that van had him clickety clacking at his keyboard at a blazing pace, and I can appreciate an author with a sense of his own mortality and wanting to finish your damn series but I'd have loved just a little extra.

I get why people don't like 5, 6 and 7 - they are big departures from the rest of the series and get very meta-but I love how crazy it all gets.
It all felt like a natural progression to the meta shit to me, and I loved that aspect of Wolves.

I think of all the "mia" stuff was greatly shortened 6 and 7 would be a LOT better. Jake/eddie/roland/oys storyline stay really interesting all the way through, but the Mia stuff is just a slog imo.
I agree with this.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Coming up on page 800 of The Stand and it's really not grabbing me super hard. The first book was pretty cool with how the virus gets out and how the transmission worldwide is presented, but this stuff with the 2 settlements is just dragging, and I'm not really fond of any of the characters, which for a King book, is a surefire way to bore me. The circumstances of the novel have been the same for like 400 pages. It's no longer new or special so all this time spent in Boulder setting up the politics and governing body etc is just hard to get into. I'm hoping there's something that happens in the confrontation/conclusion that I take to. I'm wondering if I'd actually like the abridged version more purely from a pacing standpoint.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think 6 and 7 move too quickly and probably needed a little more time in the oven to let ideas marinate and then edit into something a bit better. King's date with that van had him clickety clacking at his keyboard at a blazing pace, and I can appreciate an author with a sense of his own mortality and wanting to finish your damn series but I'd have loved just a little extra.

Definitely, they absolutely feel rushed.