• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
With the Switch itself being an indicator of how much things can change in 10 years. But people just see that positively and assume it'll always be that way.
Fair, but I think the Switch will be looked back on as Nintendo's iPhone moment.

Combining the handheld and console form factors into one means that they have the full array of franchises in one place providing a stability to the console business that they never had before...

Nintendo's handhelds were always strong through the ups and downs of the console business (largely due to the power of Pokemon always being a consistent high seller/must have in every generation).

Of course things can change in the future, but if they are having issues, it won't be in the Switch 2 generation. That feels like a guaranteed 100 million seller almost no matter what Nintendo does. Just iterate Mario 3D, Kart, Smash, a couple Pokemon games, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Splatoon, and you're basically there with ease.

But to stay on topic, I do think Nintendo was well within their rights to ask Fortnite to make the skins Switch exclusive given it's a luxury not a necessity.

Solitaire20X6

Dec 15, 2022
As has probably been mentioned, the Mario, Luigi, and Samus cars in Epic's Rocket League Switch have always appeared as other cars on other platforms during cross-play. imo, Epic should just bite the bullet and set up the same model swap in Fortnite. Nintendo's a big enough partner to make it worth it.

There would almost certainly be some argument as to how not-Samus should appear on other platforms. Maybe as one of the better-known female Fortnite characters (I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any of them) in a Switch T-shirt, or chain mail-ish body armor that looks like it's made of Switches, or maybe something more subtle like a jacket that's half-red and half-blue. lol idk

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is how Nintendo has always operated with third party appearances for their characters. Samus appearing in Fortnite benefits Epic more than it does Nintendo.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
I think there's a decent likelihood that from Nintendo's perspective, this arrangement wouldn't be primarily about advertising Metroid to Fortnite players, it would be about advertising Fortnite to Nintendo fans. Given that context, Nintendo's rationale for their policies are self-evident.

Ah yes, the fledgling little "Fornight" game. So tiny in the hobby and if only they could gain exposure if they were permitted to use Nintendo's blockbuster breakout hit in 2024... Metroid.

(Which is to say if Nintendo actually believed this, they would be working on a nonsensical premise.)

This is how Nintendo has always operated with third party appearances for their characters. Samus appearing in Fortnite benefits Epic more than it does Nintendo.

These posts touch on aspects of some arguments that I have seen in this thread regarding how "stupid" or "dumb" Nintendo is for refusing this collaboration and that bothered me a bit in terms of their logic.

Fortnite is certainly one of the biggest games in the world, and it was already massive before Epic started doing licensed skins, so strictly speaking, Fortnite doesn't "need" Metroid or Nintendo.

But the opposite is also true. Nintendo is literally a brand that's synonymous with videogames and even their smaller franchises like Metroid still sell a couple million of units at full price (which is something that most Metroidvania games can only dream of).

At the end of the day, Epic is definitely the one that benefits the most from having licensed skins act as a hook to get people into Fortnite. You literally see it every single time they announce a new crossover: People who were uninterested in Fortnite but decided to jump in or that actually had dropped the game before but decided to come back, all because a character they already like from other media is being added to the game.

In that sense, the primary benefit Nintendo would get from a collab like this is some free publicity (that might not necessarily translate to anything more than marginal sales for Metroid, as the major limiting factor of the franchise is its genre) and whatever revenue Epic would pay them for the license and the royalties from the skin. So, strictly speaking, they aren't really losing much for refusing.

That's not to say they couldn't be more flexible and less absolutely draconian with how they handle their IP. Their brand is not going to be eroded by having a skin appear when people play on other consoles, especially if the skin had been available only as part of a Switch bundle or as some e-Shop exclusive or perk for NSO.

Indeed, I think that would have been a decent compromise here. My understanding is that Epic doesn't limit a skin to be playable or viewable with your account on any platform, but certain skins can only be acquired on certain places (indeed, I think PS Plus has a few exclusive skins).

Ultimately, the only ones affected here are not the companies themselves, but any fan that would have liked to play with Samus in Fortnite, but as I said before, it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm just glad she didn't end up in the game one way or another. I absolutely feel that it would have cheapened her character and respective IP to some extent. That's how I feel about anything that gets crammed into the Frankenstein that is Fortnite to me, though.
Yeah this thread focuses more on the business side of things, but I'm really glad this didn't happen for artistic reasons.

Real life music artists having concerts in it is cool, but beyond that it's really lame as a crossover game of movies/TV/games.

Nov 21, 2018
I'm honestly kind of flabbergasted a company declining to add a cosmetic skin that to a game has caused such an uproar.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
It's really weird how people come into threads like this and either A. Defend said company with their life, or B. State the obvious like they're uncovering some great mystery about how Nintendo operates and they need to make sure we know lol.

To those stating the obvious, what are you contributing to the discussion? Why not actually engage and let people know what you think instead of parroting something everyone already knows? It's ok for people to state disappointment with decisions Nintendo makes.
This thread is filled with insane comments acting like Nintendo is on the verge of irrelevantly because they didn't put approve a fortnite skin.

So, it's not surprising to see knee jerk reactions in the opposite direction. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
Nintendo stuck in the past. Could've brought Samus to billions of young children who would then invest in Samus Nintendo products, but nope, Nintendo gotta Nintendo

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
I'd say Metroid is a series that definitely would benefit from the exposure Fortnite would get them.

Sure, Epic would benefit more, but if there's one fanbase among all F2P games that has a high chance of being made curious about this game, it's the Fortnite fanbase

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every IP that appears in other franchises in this way is cheapened. I'm glad Nintendo didn't do it, even if Samus could use the exposure. She already has Smash though!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like every IP that appears in other franchises in this way is cheapened. I'm glad Nintendo didn't do it, even if Samus could use the exposure. She already has Smash though!

Seems like you would be similarly put off by Super Smash Bros as well then? Or is this a "corporate brand purity" thing for you?

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Seems like you would be similarly put off by Super Smash Bros as well then? Or is this a "corporate brand purity" thing for you?
I feel like if Switch was a small platform, this would have been an actual problem, i.e. "why is X company turning down partnership when they could use it?"

But in this case, I don't understand the issue here with Nintendo requiring exclusivity for their IPs on their platform. Switch is going to be the #1 console seller of all time very soon; Samus appearing in Smash probably helps keep her in the Switch playerbase mindshare than any other collaboration which would be much more temporary (i.e. initial burst of skin sales and then drop off).

Switch is going to be over 150+ million units sold by the holiday season; it probably benefits Epic more to have a ton of Switch players going onto Fortnite to grab a Samus skin as much it would benefit Nintendo.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does Smash cheapen all the non Nintendo brands in it?

Crossover projects like Smash, or Marvel vs Capcom, that bring together characters from different IPs from the jump (whether for story or gameplay reasons or a "hey wouldn't it be cool if we had X meet Y" premise) feel different to me than "Hey we put a skin of random character X in our shooter." I haven't been a fan of Fortnite's other crossover skins either (Kratos, Master Chief, etc.)

I'm also not generally a fan of random out of place fighting game guest characters (I'm looking at you Yoda/Darth Vader/Starkiller/Geralt), but people who aren't me clearly like that stuff.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly kind of flabbergasted a company declining to add a cosmetic skin that to a game has caused such an uproar.
A lot of replies / pages does not equal an uproar. No one is selling their Switch over this or demanding a response from Nintendo.

People are coming together to quickly clown on a dumb decision. It's not that serious.

"Uproarers" are better than the grumpy old man vibe posts thanking God himself for not letting this happen because it would be the END of the world if those darn cringey Fortnite kids made Samus dance! The horror! The IP would be tarnished!

Whether anyone likes it or not, Fortnite has become somewhat of a celebration of popular culture. Just seems incredibly dumb to not want to partake in that.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whether anyone likes it or not, Fortnite has become somewhat of a celebration of popular culture. Just seems incredibly dumb to not want to partake in that.
If you own the only other pop culture celebration franchise it doesn't make much sense to strengthen your opponent by giving them one of your assets without limits. It's not "incredibly dumb," it's a straightforward business decision.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Crossover projects like Smash, or Marvel vs Capcom, that bring together characters from different IPs from the jump (whether for story or gameplay reasons or a "hey wouldn't it be cool if we had X meet Y" premise) feel different to me than "Hey we put a skin of random character X in our shooter." I haven't been a fan of Fortnite's other crossover skins either (Kratos, Master Chief, etc.)

I'm also not generally a fan of random out of place fighting game guest characters (I'm looking at you Yoda/Darth Vader/Starkiller/Geralt), but people who aren't me clearly like that stuff.
Snake in Smash is basically "hey we put a random character in our fighter" and it's been downhill ever since.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Switch was a small platform, this would have been an actual problem, i.e. "why is X company turning down partnership when they could use it?"

But in this case, I don't understand the issue here with Nintendo requiring exclusivity for their IPs on their platform. Switch is going to be the #1 console seller of all time very soon; Samus appearing in Smash probably helps keep her in the Switch playerbase mindshare than any other collaboration which would be much more temporary (i.e. initial burst of skin sales and then drop off).

Switch is going to be over 150+ million units sold by the holiday season; it probably benefits Epic more to have a ton of Switch players going onto Fortnite to grab a Samus skin as much it would benefit Nintendo.
I dont think it benefits either in a way they would accept. Nintendo wants their brand only on their machine, Epic doesnt want exclusive skins in their game when they are so big everywhere. Hence, no deal.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Can't be having them introduce their IP to a whole new generation of kids. Checks out. Though I suppose an 'amply' modeled Zero Suit Samus, in the vein of the Chun-Li, one would have set the internet degens on fire, and I highly doubt that Capcom counted that as a loss.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo stuck in the past. Could've brought Samus to billions of young children who would then invest in Samus Nintendo products, but nope, Nintendo gotta Nintendo

You vastly overestimate the kind of knock on effect these crossovers have. If being in the thirty million plus smash series, including having two of the very sparse newcomers at launch come from Metroid, didn't do much, why would anything else be any different?

Nintendo genuinely has one of the strongest brand identities in the industry and that through careful curation of their products.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think something being consistent doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense. The decision is consistent with how Nintendo has protected their IP in the past. Nintendo resisted putting Pokemon and Mario on the iPhone despite nearly a decade of consumer and investor demand, until they absolutely needed to print money in 2016, and they did, and they printed money from it.

If Nintendo isn't in a position where they need to print money, then they won't change their IP model. Then when the times get lean they'll release Mario branded cereal again and release a Mario skin for Tarkov and make Princess Peach a playable character in GTA Online. But the reason that people want Mario, Samus, or Peach to appear in other games is because of how protective Nintendo is of their IP. They generally don't license their characters to shit products or let other companies potentially damage their IP in a way that they couldn't tightly control. They have very high demand for their IP, they limit it, and so when they need to print money when the company isn't doing well, then they turn the money print machine on.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
A lot of replies / pages does not equal an uproar. No one is selling their Switch over this or demanding a response from Nintendo.

People are coming together to quickly clown on a dumb decision. It's not that serious.

"Uproarers" are better than the grumpy old man vibe posts thanking God himself for not letting this happen because it would be the END of the world if those darn cringey Fortnite kids made Samus dance! The horror! The IP would be tarnished!

I mean, I'll argue that the tone of several of those posts (and yours here as well for that matter) comes across as far too angry for it to not be considered as an uproar.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I mean, I'll argue that the tone of several of those posts (and yours here as well for that matter) comes across as far too angry for it to not be considered as an uproar.
And you would lose that argument.

This isn't that serious for anyone. Those who think it's a dumb move are just calling it that. Some of you are taking it more personally.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The "uproar" is about why they declined

I will never understand why so many people on Era hate dances in games lol

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People that think Samus in Fortnite would have any noticeable impact on the popularity and/or sales of Metroid are delusional. She's been in Smash since the beginning on N64 and its still a very niche franchise.

Nov 21, 2018

I dont think a company not allowing a skin in a game is worth ten pages of discussion about it being dumb or justified but I'll excuse myself from this discussion

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Crossovers are fine, it's the execution. Smash is way more thoughtful with regards to how it represents the different IPs in it than Fortnite is.

The idea that Smash and Fortnite are similar in how they incorporate different IP is hilarious. Every third party character that's been added to Smash was designed in a way that incorporated the gameplay from their source game, full of references and notes that are familiar to fans. In Fortnite, Toph looks down the barrel of a sniper rifle.

I enjoy both games, but c'mon. As cool as it would've been to have Samus in Fortnite, I can understand why Nintendo said no. For every company that agreed to have its IP put in Fortnite, there are another 3 who said no. I don't know why it's such an affront that Samus isn't in.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Archaic thinking by Nintendo. Especially with a new Metroid game coming shortly, the franchise would benefit a lot from the exposure Fortnite would give.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid I'm still lost at how a collab with this game can assist Metroid in any meaningful way.

If that sounds like a statement/question meant for framing or re-framing then I can't deny that obviously I'm just a little confused if things changed trajectory around the overall topic.

"Why do it" only seems to be met with "why not do it".

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
This is obvious and makes sense. Why would Nintendo ever want you playing with even a skin of their character on a competitors system is what epic should have asked themselves immediately.

Microsoft and Sony both had no problems with players on other systems using their characters in Fortnite. Stupidly short sighted of Nintendo, in my opinion.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
The idea that Smash and Fortnite are similar in how they incorporate different IP is hilarious. Every third party character that's been added to Smash was designed in a way that incorporated the gameplay from their source game, full of references and notes that are familiar to fans. In Fortnite, Toph looks down the barrel of a sniper rifle.

I enjoy both games, but c'mon. As cool as it would've been to have Samus in Fortnite, I can understand why Nintendo said no. For every company that agreed to have its IP put in Fortnite, there are another 3 who said no. I don't know why it's such an affront that Samus isn't in.
So I can't ride the nimbus cloud and do the Kamehameha as Goku in Fortnite?

You say you understand why Nintendo said no, but point to another reason than the one the OP suggests.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
It's not like Nintendos doing anything with Samus at this point.

One mainline Metroid game in over a decade and Prime 4 is basically vaporware at this point.

What? Nintendo canceled Prime 4 and rebooted its development, which actually shows a lot more concern over it than most studios would give, and I'm sure Covid was a factor. Returns came out in 2017 with the same studio then being greenlit to do Dread which isn't even 3 years old, talk about dramatic.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
What? Nintendo canceled Prime 4 and rebooted its development, which actually shows a lot more concern over it than most studios would give. Returns came out in 2017 with the same studio then being greenlit to do Dread which isn't even 3 years old, talk about dramatic.

I don't really consider a remake to be doing anything with the IP. Its great, but Dread was proper goodness.

And Prime4 got rebooted five and a half years ago.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I don't really consider a remake to be doing anything with the IP. Its great, but Dread was proper goodness.

And Prime4 got rebooted five and a half years ago.

A ground up remake that is vastly different than the original is not 'doing nothing' that's for sure, especially when it directly resulted in an actual direct sequel to Fusion being made of all things, which is as mainline as it's going to get. Prime 4 is likely the victim of timing right now, it ever coming out would only show how much Nintendo actually cares considering most publishers would have nuked it by now. The assumption that it's likely being held off for a Switch 2 version is possible, and if so, we have a lot of reason to believe those plans have also been postponed. Let's not forget that it took them 6 years to pump out a direct sequel to BOTW, inventive as it was, it's clear Covid impacted a lot of plans broadly and the release of the next console may be impacting certain releases.

Nintendo also funded a ground up visual remake at a budget price for Prime 1, with a lot of rumors for some kind of effort for 2 and 3, Metroid fans have no place to pretend the series is neglected, it just has had a troubled path because Nintendo doesn't handle it internally. Prime 4 will likely end up becoming the most expensive game Nintendo has ever produced by the time it hits, despite being a much more modest potential seller.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
A ground up remake that is vastly different than the original is not 'doing nothing' that's for sure, especially when it directly resulted in an actual direct sequel to Fusion being made of all things, which is as mainline as it's going to get.
I like how this forum just decided to call Metroid Prime it's an entirely different thing.

Too good to be a remaster, but now it's a from the ground remake from a company that's sold straight ports for so much more.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Paper Mario fans about to learn this the hard way hahah.

The extent of a remake of one is vastly larger than the other, by nature of what they are. One will be a graphical enhancement with some alterations, the other is almost a different game that is more so using the other as a reference point. Mechanically they barely play the same at all.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think a company not allowing a skin in a game is worth ten pages of discussion about it being dumb or justified but I'll excuse myself from this discussion

"Stop discussing things in a discussion forum"

I love Era, lol.

I swear if it was up to some people here, we would only have like 5 stickied threads in the entire forum and that's it.