signal

Oct 28, 2017
That's just reality.

Rewtached this last night and I actually tihnk the whole movie is bad but that endng is something else. The part where David is underwater staring at the fairy was actually kind of good I thought. Would have been an interesting way to end the film. But then suddenly
driYnKw.gif

Also their disconnceted cube space ship thing is the worst vehicle design I've ever seen. And the whole happy David ending sequence with fake mother is such a corny way to end everything.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
That's just reality.

Rewtached this last night and I actually tihnk the whole movie is bad but that endng is something else. The part where David is underwater staring at the fairy was actually kind of good I thought. Would have been an interesting way to end the film. But then suddenly
driYnKw.gif

Also their disconnceted cube space ship thing is the worst vehicle design I've ever seen. And the whole happy David ending sequence with fake mother is such a corny way to end everything.

But...they're not aliens.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You have one of the worst endings in film history.

p.s. remind yourself of the movie's title and ask yourself why in fuck would the beings at the end be aliens.

Always felt like the ending reeked of test audience who can't handle a sad ending.

You mean the ending where humanity goes extinct and the main character dies right after he found the only moment of joy he has ever experienced?

what movie have you people watched

It's inexplicable to me that AI's ending can be qualified as a happy one by anyone.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That's just reality.

driYnKw.gif

They're not aliens....

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most impactful movie endings I've ever seen. Saw it when I was like 10 though. Might not have been as inspiring late on.

Frankie_baby

Banned
Feb 11, 2018
Written by Kubrick and finished by Spielberg shame we never got to see how he would'v done it, he took on eyes wide shut as a "quick" movie to get back into the game and took so long he died

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who think the ending to AI involves aliens and is in any way happy definitely need help understanding movies

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the whole film was awful, so didn't think the ending stood out too much.

By far my least favorite Spielberg movie.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I've always struggled to enjoy most of Spielberg's films but I love AI. Including the ending. It did confuse me a bit the first time around but I think it works.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
That's just reality.

driYnKw.gif

Woof. What a bad take. They aren't Aliens and the ending is super dark. David wipes Monica from reality and dies.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
OP, you're bad at watching movies.

Not only were they not aliens, but the ending wasn't a happy one.

Put your phone down and actually watch the movie next time.

kingkaiser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essen, Germany
I will never understand the obsession for happy ends.
A.I. has a wonderful bittersweet ending, the Mist ending is probably the most touching and impactful ending I have ever witnessed in a Hollywood movie.
And yes, it was aliens!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you thought they were aliens, you missed the point of the movie.

I actually ... kind of enjoyed the ending. I wasn't crazy about the movie the first time I saw it but it grew on me with a little reflection.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OP, you're bad at watching movies.
Not only were they not aliens, but the ending wasn't a happy one.
Put your phone down and actually watch the movie next time.
I think I just went "nah" after thinking the movie was over then having that thought interrupted by a flying disconnected cube with NotAliens* inside of it.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they were aliens, OP, it was the robots who had evolved after all the humans were dead. The ending was bittersweet in that David realized that being human meant learning to lose, so he took one more day with his mother, knowing it'd be painful to watch her die.

It wasn't a bad ending, but you had to be invested in the whole "can robots become human" along with "what it means to be human" thing the film was setting up the whole time. Humans were painted as selfish, violent, oversexed maniacs with the exception of the mother. We're the bad guys. If you watched the film from the standpoint of "this robot wants to be human and that's a good thing" then you might have missed the point.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
That's just reality.

Rewtached this last night and I actually tihnk the whole movie is bad but that endng is something else. The part where David is underwater staring at the fairy was actually kind of good I thought.

The bolded is the true ending as far as I am concerned. The rest is just some alternate ending BS that should have ended up as a bonus feature on a DVD somewhere.

It should have never been included in the theatrical release as it completely breaks with the themes of the film up to that point.

Basically, OP is correct about where it should have ended.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I think I just went "nah" after thinking the movie was over then having that thought interrupted by a flying disconnected cube with NotAliens* inside of it.
OP, I want you to ask yourself a question for a moment:

Why, after watching more than two hours of a film called ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE about artificial intelligence, did my brain suddenly think the film was about aliens?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can't backfire. If those are robots then the design of them is worse than the cube ship design.
Let's see. The mecha at the end have a head, a torso, arms, legs and five fingers in each hand.
You know what they look like?
That's right, they look like people!
A.I.-the-distant-future.jpg

Now why would they look like people? Because as the final sequence in the movie clearly indicates, these beings are obsessed with their creators.

And in case you have trouble realizing they might not be biological, they have computer screens for faces.
aisupermechacuwdavid1.jpg

And they're able to reactivate a robot.

To be honest, the movie's greatest failing is not making it more obvious what they are. No doubt. However, there's no excuse to still argue the point after the fact.

wyndhamprice

Oct 27, 2017
If you think that ending is happy, consider what Teddy has resigned himself to for the rest of his existence

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
That's just reality.

driYnKw.gif

I got second-hand cringe and literally couldn't watch the screen during the ending.

The girl I went to see the movie with loved the ending.

Suffice it to say, we didn't date much longer.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Uh. This movie has one of the darkest endings I can think of. It scarred me for a long time.
I guess people couldn't because when a depressing existential ending is staring right at them in the face they misinterpreted it as somehow "happy" and "aliens".
I'm not really understanding what is so dark about the ending. The cloned mom is fake and dies after a day (does he "die" in bed with her??) but even if it's all fake doesn't he end up getting what he wants? Not sure how this ending is worse (from his viewpoint) than if it just ending with him in that submarine.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
LOVED THE MOVIE!

I watched it for the first time a few years ago. I have always wanted to watch it....and finally made the time.

Can't wait to watch it again. Might have to buy the 4k HDR Version if possible.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oof. You totally miffed this one, OP.

It's annoying to me that act like Spielberg ruined Kubrick's vision when he was beyond faithful to it.

Deleted member 32101

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
A.I. is a masterpiece. It probably had a profound influence on me growing up. You see this as a kid, it leaves marks. It had some extremely strong scenes. The ending is bittersweet. It's final. Also, you should read the Wikipedia entry of A.I., the critical response section. You might realize something.

Last edited: