Oct 26, 2017
So an episode of Steven Universe aired tonight that featured the first ever marriage proposal between a LGBTQ couple, Ruby and Sapphire, in a western kid's cartoon. If you've been watching cartoons over the years you've probably seen more and more inclusion of LGBTQ characters from Gravity Falls to Star Vs. The Forces of Evil but this arguably the fist ever explicit romantic union between two such characters in a show like this. I personally think it's a monumental moment a signify a shift in more and more direct LGBTQ relationships in tv like this. What are your thoughts?

Also, Cowboy Ruby is amazing.

wmbys4qgw9maarxo55p5.jpg

Edit: The final episode of the bomb that aired this Friday featured an uncensored kiss too!

3f9.gif

Considering this involves two major characters and not background ones I'd say this a pretty major milestone.

Last edited:

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should cut the pretense and have Raven and Chelsea get married on Raven's Home

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's still a bit hidden behind symbolism considering the nature of their species.

They are officially genderless, but all signs otherwise point to them being of an effeminate persuasion. So yay, gay enough. x)

Anyways that's great. SU is probably the most gender-positive show on the planet, so I'm glad it gets this part of its accolade.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kind of annoying to have the episode spoiled while scrolling EtCetera, but it was a great episode with a good ending. All of the Rubies are adorable.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The McBrides have been an openly gay married couple on The Loud House since 2016 but I don't think they ever showed the wedding. Will be interesting to see all the planning before the wedding crashers come on SU.
nickelodeon.jpg

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of annoying to have the episode spoiled while scrolling EtCetera, but it was a great episode with a good ending. All of the Rubies are adorable.
The Steven Universe thread rule is that all spoilers are free after the west coast airing

Also Gems are not genderless they're sexless. Gender is how you identify Sex is how your body is physically.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Though I will be curious if they'll finally have an LGBTQ character kiss on the lips. Cartoon Network is pretty cool about including LGBTQ relationships but they always kiss each other on the cheeks. I wonder if Ruby and Sapphire will go lip to lip at the wedding.
o-CLARENCE-570.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty cute episode.

Ruby's talk with Steven hit a little close to home though

Also I thought spoilers weren't supposed to be lifted until 10PM. OP, YOUR PATH NOW LEADS BEYOND THE GATES OF DOOM

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
You might want to spoiler that title. I haven't caught up yet, but I'm guessing that's a pretty big moment in this week's bomb.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It was a pretty cute episode.

Ruby's talk with Steven hit a little close to home though

Also I thought spoilers weren't supposed to be lifted until 10PM. OP, YOUR PATH NOW LEADS BEYOND THE GATES OF DOOM
That's exclusive to the thread. Imagine not partaking in the discussion thread and having others assume you know spoilers are okay only 2 hours after the airing.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
As someone waiting for it to be on Hulu this is some spoiler ass shit. Wtf
Some major season-finale set-up shit is going down for the show all this week, so be careful. If you have a cable subscription, you can log in to Cartoon Network's website and catch up on the current season (Season 5). Tonight's episode has already been added.

Though I will be curious if they'll finally have an LGBTQ character kiss on the lips. Cartoon Network is pretty cool about including LGBTQ relationships but they always kiss each other on the cheeks. I wonder if Ruby and Sapphire will go lip to lip at the wedding.
o-CLARENCE-570.jpg

I really, really hope they kiss on the lips at the wedding. I was expecting them to do it during the proposal, but it was just on the cheek. I worry that it's a step too far for Cartoon Network's censors, which is ridiculous when you consider that these two characters are getting gay-married. They can't put this gay metaphorical genie back in the bottle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGreatDirector
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry about the spoilers I just thought it was exciting and should be shared as soon as possible. :(

I can get a mod to lock this thread if you want.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
o-CLARENCE-570.jpg
It's weird because Ruby kissed at Sapphire's neck in a season two episode and from where I'm standing that's way more intimate than a peck on the lips.

Though even if it's avoided I wouldn't be too upset because this is an honest-to-God gay wedding on a kids' show and it's gonna be glorious.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Korra blew all our minds in the old forums for what they did at the end

They seemingly couldn't go ALL the way, but the comics definitely did.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Wedding thing has been known for a bit. Hopefully they go all out on the kiss.

tumblr_inline_p4g9ukDgaz1trz5iw_1280.jpg

Last edited:

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Wedding thing has been known for a bit. Hopefully they go all out on the kiss.
tumblr_inline_p4g9ukDgaz1trz5iw_1280.jpg
I'd definitely recommend putting that picture under a spoiler; there's people who haven't caught up in the show and it spoils some major character appearances that aren't related to the wedding.

Last edited:

B B

Oct 25, 2017
A recent Clarence episode showed the wedding of the two moms of one of the main characters. It was a brief scene though.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was an important moment, in addition to being one of the sweetest goddamned things I've ever seen in a kid's show.

Ruby is ADORABLE

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
o-CLARENCE-570.jpg
Unlikely, for as we all know, sin is transmitted mouth-to-mouth. If they are careful these men can still be admitted into heaven.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Wish Korra could have ended with making this explicit.
Nickelodeon's social media posted something of Korra and Asami together to celebrate Pride Month. It might have even been fan art of them kissing.

I was like "Oh, now you're OK with it." I know public opinion changes over time, but it still felt cheap to me.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Nickelodeon's social media posted something of Korra and Asami together to celebrate Pride Month. It might have even been fan art of them kissing.

I was like "Oh, now you're OK with it." I know public opinion changes over time, but it still felt cheap to me.
It was drawn by the Korra comic artist. Nick was promoting the book.

To add to your second comment:

It's frustrating, but if a company is learning from their mistakes then we shouldn't hold long-term grudges.

Last edited:

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch the show very much so I knew that character was actually two people but I thought she was a boy and a girl fused :p

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch the show very much so I knew that character was actually two people but I thought she was a boy and a girl fused :p
Something something genderless rocks something something the red one was a boy with a beard in Russia because homophobia

But no they're female or at use female pronoun and clearly coded female

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh for fuck's sake, thanks a lot for posting a spoiler of a key episode in gif form directly in the thread and editing it right into the OP about a previous episode where no one can miss it. Don't worry about those of us not in the US who won't have even have had a chance to try and catch up!