• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the original topic for Steven Universe The Movie!

latest

Warning this thread will feature spoilers for all of Steven Universe.

Plot Summary

Two Years after Change Your Mind Steven returns home for a well deserved rest after helping to dismantle the gem empire. Things go wrong when a mysterious gem comes to Earth and implants a giant drill that swiftly saps the life from the earth. Steven and the Crystal gems must save the earth and defeat the mystery gem, and they must do it while singing!

Media

Musical Contributors

Steven Universe: The Movie is a musical featuring the talents of not only the normal cast of Steven Universe along with Rebecca Sugar and Aivi & Surasshu, it also has the talents of such stars as Chance The Rapper and Mike Krol.
Below is a list of musical contributors taken from the Steven Universe fandom wiki
https://steven-universe.fandom.com/wiki/Steven_Universe:_The_Movie

• Estelle
  • Aimee Mann
  • Patti LuPone
  • Uzo Aduba
  • Aivi & Surasshu
  • Jeff Liu
  • Mike Krol
  • Jeff Ball
  • Chance the Rapper
  • James Fauntleroy
  • Gallant
  • Grant Henry (Stemage)
  • Julian "Zorsy" Sanchez
  • Macie Stewart
  • Ted Leo
For those wishing to buy the movie's soundtrack it will release on all major music platforms such as spotify and itunes immediately after the movie has aired on Cartoon Network at 7:30 p.m. eastern.

The first single for the movie featuring Estelle and Zach Callison.​

Where to watch

The Steven Universe Movie will Air on Monday, September 2nd, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. on Cartoon Network. It will be available via Digital Release on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019 and will be released on DVD Tuesday, November 12th, 2019.

Spoilers

Please keep all spoilers tagged until the movie airs on Cartoon Network, as soon as the Movie has begun airing all spoilers will be allowed untagged.

Also a reminder to please be courteous and not post spoiler content about the movie outside of this thread for the short term after the movie has aired.​

Aine

May 27, 2019
Wow, how often has the Toonami revival given shout-outs to CN shows like that?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Starting the week with an SU movie, and ending the week with the OK KO finale. And this week makes a year since Adventure Time ended. Pheeew.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Starting the week with an SU movie, and ending the week with the OK KO finale. And this week makes a year since Adventure Time ended. Pheeew.

Really been one year? Damn, time flies.

Part of me wants to watch this, despite no doubt of me being very confused over everything that's happened since early SU. :P

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
As a non-cable-subscriber who'd like to watch this live tonight, is signing up for a trial of Youtube TV a viable legal option? Looks like they have Cartoon Network.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Let's go! My partner is going to be angry I watch this without them, ain't my fault they're at work when it airs.

Rocha

Jul 5, 2019
Brazil
Not sure why a limited theatrical release couldn't be done, as popular as the show is. Other shows have done similar things.
I think it has to do we distribution. Like, Steven Universe is Cartoon Network currently flagship series with tons of merchandise and even an add campaign with Dove, why they didn't do a theatrical release is beyond me.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, only Teen Titans Go To the Movies had that privilege.

The My Little Pony Movie got a theatrical release as well, actually grossed more than Teen Titans Go did worldwide.

Though with Cartoon Network, maybe they saw how much TTGttM did (it wasn't much) and decided against it. Seems like TV to Movie is just cursed for low values now unless your name is Spongebob.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
There's an all-day Marathon going on today. They're on Lars of the Stars right now, and will conclude with Change Your Mind right before the movie.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
So Cartoon Network's website will no longer let you watch live tv online, even if you have a cable subscription? Fuck!

Edit: oh, thank god for SlingTv.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TTG isn't actually CN's wheelhouse, weirdly enough. Warner Bros call the shots there

Mikachu

Oct 25, 2017
Is only dvd confirmed? Would love a Blu-ray with some good special features and commentary

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something happen with Turner?
ATT restructured a whole lot of stuff. probably trying to position them to better fight Disney

Wait, when did Warner Bros. Bought Cartoon Network?
WB and Turner were always owned by the same group, but were kept separate. to the point where CN licensed WB stuff. now they been folded into each other

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I love SU but it's really not that popular.
It draws some of the best ratings on cartoon network, and cartoon network themselves have said it's the most streamed show on their app.

It's one of the most popular american cartoons right now. Yes it's not on game of thrones levels, but it's quite popular for what it is.

If something like is it alright to pick up girls in a dungeon can have a successful limited theatrical run there is no reason why SU couldn't have.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's nice to get the movie, but could seasons 3 and 4 get a home video release already...?

Also, going to have to check the schedule for re-showings after.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
It draws some of the best ratings on cartoon network, and cartoon network themselves have said it's the most streamed show on their app.

It's one of the most popular american cartoons right now. Yes it's not on game of thrones levels, but it's quite popular for what it is.

If something like is it alright to pick up girls in a dungeon can have a successful limited theatrical run there is no reason why SU couldn't have.
I think the last time CN did one of their original shows in theaters it was the Powerpuff Girls movie?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I think the last time CN did one of their original shows in theaters it was the Powerpuff Girls movie?
I'm not sure. And I'm sure a limited theater run isn't a small amount of effort either.
I know Crunchyroll has been doing it for some of their movies, and that crunchy has a partnership with Toonami. I wonder if they could have helped.

Oh well there is always SU movie 2 in 2022 (hope hope :P)

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first few seasons of SU, really enjoyed it, then put it down until it finished. But I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so I haven't read anything in this thread. If someone could PM me some spoiler-free info about this movie I'd appreciate it. Specifically I'd like to know how this fits into the series. Are there going to be more episodes after the movie and this just fits into the series at a specific point? Is this like a side-story that won't really impact the overall story of the series? Did the show end and this is a finale?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LEAKED theme for Garnet about Ruby and Sapphire by Chance the Rapper

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first few seasons of SU, really enjoyed it, then put it down until it finished. But I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so I haven't read anything in this thread. If someone could PM me some spoiler-free info about this movie I'd appreciate it. Specifically I'd like to know how this fits into the series. Are there going to be more episodes after the movie and this just fits into the series at a specific point? Is this like a side-story that won't really impact the overall story of the series? Did the show end and this is a finale?
It's pretty much just one big episode that takes place after a timeskip. It absolutely affects the story.

Aine

May 27, 2019

Yeah. Unfortunately, it bombed critically (the darker-but-more-faithful tone alienated a lot of critics) and financially (lack of advertising outside of CN itself + going up against MIB 2).