Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
No one really knows. The rationale in WSB is that they're trying to push a short squeeze. The other side is that this can be caused by retail investors flooding in.

The problem with the short squeeze narrative is that there just aren't that many shares shorted for that to happen.

What's more likely is that a bunch of the institutional investors haven't listed their shares on the market (thus giving the appearance of low availability), but the moment they decide enough is enough, they'll dump millions and the price will collapse. Retail investors will, as always, be left holding the bag.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Also, offering people free popcorn now has to be the single greatest ROI on a investment ever, and they haven't even given any out yet.

So is this all just a result of pure retail/meme investor bullshit?

I think WSB is very naïve to think they are the only ones trying to profit from this madness. I think there are plenty of hedges sloshing around in these waters trying to force squeezes, it wouldn't be the first time. They may be taking cues from WSB because it's additional support, but I doubt it's a bunch of gamblers throwing $1000 at a stock.

Happy to be proven wrong though. This is all fun to watch.

I laugh when my friends tell me they are doing it to teach the "man" a lesson. I just tell them they are probably lining someone else's pockets and taking on the majority of the risk.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
In other news I'm having a +1% day and I am pretty Ok with that lol.
I was there then
7YAle8E.png

so now I'm likely up just a bit instead since microsoft is my biggest holding :P

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the short squeeze narrative is that there just aren't that many shares shorted for that to happen.

What's more likely is that a bunch of the institutional investors haven't listed their shares on the market (thus giving the appearance of low availability), but the moment they decide enough is enough, they'll dump millions and the price will collapse. Retail investors will, as always, be left holding the bag.

I agree. I mentioned in the previous thread that the short interest as of May 14 was about 20% -- not nearly enough for a large short squeeze.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
I laugh when my friends tell me they are doing it to teach the "man" a lesson. I just tell them they are probably lining someone else's pockets and taking on the majority of the risk.
Whoever came up with the "Buy GME if you wanna stick it to Wall Street" thing is pretty brilliant, I must admit.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
The $20 I put into TSLA and AAPL on CashApp are doing nothing. But at least AAPL is paying me $0.01 once in a while. TSLA is basically worthless.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Does BB have potential to be the next one of these?
BB is even less shorted than most of these meme stocks, along with almost the majority of it being owned by larger institutions.

It's not going to go to the moon, although it'll probably get swept up in all this madness.
Was BB being pushed by WSB?
It was one of the meme-adjacent stocks. Didn't see the insane jumps others did, but definitely was affected by it.

Edit: AMC keeps halting on the downswing. One of these times it's going to plummet.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The $20 I put into TSLA and AAPL on CashApp are doing nothing. But at least AAPL is paying me $0.01 once in a while. TSLA is basically worthless.
Being honest here: $20 just isn't enough to put on stocks that cost hundreds per share. You're very unlikely to see some kind of appreciable return on that amount of money with any stock at those prices unless you wait a long time.

But, we all started somewhere, so if you're in this for the long term, just try and keep adding money to your portfolio regularly and it will grow over time if you're in good stocks. The beginning is the slowest part.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
My £14 AMC is currently worth £105. Not bad but the stress about when to sell is gonna suck, assume it's just gonna drop again at some point like GameStop did

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
My only regret is not buying more AMC at $5.54 a share. :(

Oct 25, 2017
back when AMC went pretty stable at $10 I debated dropping a decent amount on it. I was thinking it might be an actual decent buy due to it seemingly being done cratering, and the pandemic ending would be of course great for the business...

I should've fucking done it...

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
back when AMC went pretty stable at $10 I debated dropping a decent amount on it. I was thinking it might be an actual decent buy due to it seemingly being done cratering, and the pandemic ending would be of course great for the business...

I should've fucking done it...
I was waiting for it to drop to $5. I should have picked it up back there when it jumped from $10 to $13.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You guys could buy back in, I mean at least a share-- then just sit on it for a minute. Idk... HODL GANG LFG!
If you go by marketcap then at $75 AMC will have the same marketcap as GME did at its January peak, while GME had 140% short interest and AMC has about 20%.

And please note the topic rules in the OP - no pump and dumps.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
In my boring stocks: TAP continues to be my big winner. XOM and CVX are looking to boom. Banks and gold....meh.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own any AMC nor do I wish to, but WOW at that price action today!

I feel a slight bit of FOMO but I'm sticking to my plan which does not include AMC. Good luck to anyone trading it!

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I am SO GLAD I was blocked from buying AMC back during the GME blocks and freezes by brokers, my broker obviously saved me a lot of money here!!!!!!.......seriously though what ever happened with that, there were no repercussions for when all those brokers blocked people from buying GME, AMC, NAKD, etc.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is AMC expected to drop after today?

I was actually waiting this week for the stock to drop back to 24, and then I read this craziness.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Got out of AMC at 14 bucks a couple weeks ago for a tiny profit. I'm so bad at this lol

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Man.. What's going with AMC?

I got in last March w/ 20 shares for around $2.30

I take a look today and see I'm at +2700 % profit.

I'm wondering if I should just get out tomorrow once the market opens.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I feel like it can go either way. At this point, I'm not sure if it's becoming a meme stock and if so I can hold out for a few more days.
"becoming"? Did you see the video posted above? Wedbush analyst today said she expects it to return to their price target of $6.50, which is based on a typical multiple of 2023 earnings.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Microsoft started green and ending red last few days need to chill the fuck out. Can't even enjoy my meme gainz, lol

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
If you go by marketcap then at $75 AMC will have the same marketcap as GME did at its January peak, while GME had 140% short interest and AMC has about 20%.

And please note the topic rules in the OP - no pump and dumps.
So was the massive rise in GME "actually" due to a short squeeze, and not just some hedge funds messing with the retail investors? That would temper my expectations of AMC if so

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. Options give me anxiety. I know how they work at an intellectual level and what my risk profile looks like for different options strategies, but I'm irrationally afraid of making a mistake that'll expose me to unlimited downside.

formatnone

Oct 31, 2017
Lithuania
got in to AMC at 10.20 (just 20 shares), I'm 600% up, my plan for this is to go all or nothing, I read all the DD's on reddit, most of them sound more like conspiracy theories, but...there is one but, if theories on synthetic/naked shares are true, this will go wayyyy more up, but I'm taking this with a spoonful of salt.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Bit late to the party, but I want to say great OP and thanks for the new thread Sheepinator

Btw, why are we in a meme craze again? In February, it was because of the GameStop short squeeze and the aftermath of that, but is there a specific reason why people are dumping money into AMC and such now?

Status
Not open for further replies.