Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh...I don't know anything about investing. All I have is a decent savings account, but I have no idea what to do with it. Should I withdraw most of it and put it under my mattress? Invest most of it in the market? I'm scared and clueless (not a good combination).
Leave it alone for now, unless it's more than $250K.

Insured if a brokerage firm goes under....that's a different question. There is no protection against losses in the market place
He said it was in a savings account.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh...I don't know anything about investing. All I have is a decent savings account, but I have no idea what to do with it. Should I withdraw most of it and put it under my mattress? Invest most of it in the market? I'm scared and clueless (not a good combination).

Bank is fine.

The government will gladly bail out the banks. Again.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Invest at the bottom if you want, but money just sitting in a checking/savings account is not at meaningful risk.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As Trump himself posted...

ESj_3IQXgAA5Sm3
I find it hilarious he posted that himself before a massive stock market rout and a pandemic. There will be exams in the history books with this picture and a question of when it happened.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
True, but also it's worth discussing outcomes and how we feel those responsible should handle/respond to them.
Certainly, so I suppose my big issue is with the guy throwing out specific numbers while he's in a clear position of authority. You or I talking specifics isn't gonna get latched onto by the public so that's not a big deal.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I find it hilarious he posted that himself before a massive stock market rout and a pandemic. There will be exams in the history books with this picture and a question of when it happened.
It was during the stocks crash and pandemic, it was March 9th iirc. Now if you're talking about before, we can mention Trump advising that the "stock market is looking good" when it was close to recent highs, and Eric Trump advising near the top that people should go all in with their 401K's... after receiving the Congress briefings that caused other R's to dump all their stocks.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
god damn we hit the limit down again. Monday is going to be brutal. I can see SPY at 200 by mid April

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for your help, guys. I've been going down a conspiracy theory/collapse of civilization rabbit hole and scaring myself. I guess I'll keep saving and maybe look into entering the market sometime soon

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

I guess conservatives probably claim that picture was cooked up by Democrats now, since every time it's posted right now, in light of the pandemic, it really, REALLY doesn't help Trump.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That FDIC $250K is per bank btw, not $250K total.

The standard deposit insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category.

The FDIC insures deposits that a person holds in one insured bank separately from any deposits that the person owns in another separately chartered insured bank. For example, if a person has a certificate of deposit at Bank A and has a certificate of deposit at Bank B, the amounts would each be insured separately up to $250,000. Funds deposited in separate branches of the same insured bank are not separately insured.

Mar 29, 2018
Thanks for your help, guys. I've been going down a conspiracy theory/collapse of civilization rabbit hole and scaring myself. I guess I'll keep saving and maybe look into entering the market sometime soon
Don't worry. Human civilization faces escalating crises and it causes us to rise to meet it. The people in power here, the 1-10%, cannot let their wealth go, and if they don't help the 90% and carry them then they'll lose everything. I firmly think it'll be a good thing in the long term. You know... Besides a huge outbreak :(

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Don't worry. Human civilization faces escalating crises and it causes us to rise to meet it. The people in power here, the 1-10%, cannot let their wealth go, and if they don't help the 90% and carry them then they'll lose everything. I firmly think it'll be a good thing in the long term. You know... Besides a huge outbreak :(
This makes sense to me. I've been thinking the wealthy want to keep this system going as long as possible and will fight to make sure it doesn't all collapse. They need lowly workers like me to maintain their lifestyles.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Corporations >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> People

I know but the corporate side right now isn't going to matter because they are going to still be in the same position in 6 months. People right now can't make rent or pay their loans. Everyone who is losing their jobs are losing their health coverage.

Oct 27, 2017
I know but the corporate side right now isn't going to matter because they are going to still be in the same position in 6 months. People right now can't make rent or pay their loans. Everyone who is losing their jobs are losing their health coverage.
Anybody with a shred of common sense would have their priorities straight here. Sadly, it's been missing for a while and these out-of-touch assholes are only interested in themselves and their special interest friends.

We're fucked.

Mar 29, 2018
"In the midst of an unprecedented national crisis, Republicans can't seriously expect us to tell people in our communities who are suffering that we shortchanged hospitals, students, workers, and small businesses but gave big corporations hundreds of billions of dollars in a secretive slush fund," said Murray, whose home state is one of the hardest-hit by the disease's outbreak.

... Yeah, fair enough.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody with a shred of common sense would have their priorities straight here. Sadly, it's been missing for a while and these out-of-touch assholes are only interested in themselves and their special interest friends.

We're fucked.

They need a future proof bill that is basically just UBI, set for at least 6 months. No means testing. Every person gets at least 1500, add in 500 per child. Oh and immediate medicare/medicaid coverage for the uninsured.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still gonna be a bad drop in the stocks
Stocks are going to be in the shitter once unemployment numbers come in and quarterly reports come in anyway unless you are looking to sell on a temporary boost, which will still happen whenever a bill passes before dropping again even worse. $1000-$1200 as a one time payment to people isn't going to do shit for people.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
If we get another trump press conference tomorrow it's gonna drop deep red (like real deep).
Wait until Thursday this week when the jobless claims come out! That's going to be absolutely devastating, and thats not going to be the worst jobless claims, wait until next months, that is probably going to be even more telling.

Mar 29, 2018
This makes sense to me. I've been thinking the wealthy want to keep this system going as long as possible and will fight to make sure it doesn't all collapse. They need lowly workers like me to maintain their lifestyles.
Exactly. They manipulate and grow wealth, but that wealth is valueless without the millions of average joe bloggs working in McDonalds, running small businesses, crunching in factories and logistics jobs. If they want to keep a modicum of what they've got, they need to redistribute some of that wealth and carry the people at the bottom. There is absolutely enough wealth in the world for this.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
"save these great companies"

People arn't going to be traveling for at least a year because this is staying around.

Oct 27, 2017
They need a future proof bill that is basically just UBI, set for at least 6 months. No means testing. Every person gets at least 1500, add in 500 per child. Oh and immediate medicare/medicaid coverage for the uninsured.
Yep. The House need to craft a bill that includes all of these points as starting measures and get it voted on ASAP. Put pressure on Republicans and control the messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.