• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It just stinks of bulltrap this, but I can't shake that feeling that in a zero-interest environment with central banks just dumping money into the mix, equities might just get more and more decoupled from the real economy.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we're witnessing the "only game in town" effect?

Like where else can people even put their money if the value of it in society goes down? If you're a billionaire or whatever, you're not going to hoard dollar bills or billions worth gold bars and hand sanitizer under your bed probably. A lot of it just has to go back into stock or something.

So I think after pulling out a week ago for big losses, many investors decided they didn't really have much else to lose either way. Especially if the governments are just printing money for everyone. Money's gotta go somewhere right? lol

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we're witnessing the "only game in town" effect?

Like where else can people even put their money if the value of it in society goes down? If you're a billionaire or whatever, you're not going to hoard dollar bills or billions worth gold bars and hand sanitizer under your bed probably. A lot of it just has to go back into stock or something.

So I think after pulling out a week ago for big losses, many investors decided they didn't really have much else to lose either way. Especially if the governments are just printing money for everyone. Money's gotta go somewhere right? lol
also there might be a realization that long term this crisis will be a dent but not a catastrophe for most companies. some miht even profit from it (amazon and netflix to name a few)

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
The US definitely has a lot of ways to be resilient...but how about the rest of the world?

And with China being to first to recover and basically in a position to profit from it while being seen as the cause will there be a push to punish them especially if others are struggling? I can see these things having profound consequences on the global economy...but how much does this translate to the US stock market?

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The US definitely has a lot of ways to be resilient...but how about the rest of the world?

And with China being to first to recover and basically in a position to profit from it while being seen as the cause will there be a push to punish them especially if others are struggling? I can see these things having profound consequences on the global economy...but how much does this translate to the US stock market?

I mean, ex-US has also rebounded strongly.

www.bloomberg.com

IXUS Quote - iShares Core MSCI Total International Stock ETF Fund - Bloomberg

Performance charts for iShares Core MSCI Total International Stock ETF (IXUS - Type ETF) including intraday, historical and comparison charts, technical analysis and trend lines.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
i got 2000 waiting to go into my roth...
I guess I should just put it in. Was waiting for a dip but fuck its gone up

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

I mean isn't it a good idea to go ahead and put it in and have it on standby so you're ready to invest if the opportunity strikes. It usually takes at least a day or two to transfer funds no? I don't see any downside as long as you were planning on investing that money

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
New forecasts are coming in and....they're not pretty.

Also new weekly estimates:

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Never try and pick a bottom. This is a famous saying in the investing world for a reason. We were down 35% at one point last week, but of course people will say "but what if it goes lower". Don't be greedy. If you're a long term investor starting at 35% down is a pretty wonderful starting point.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm sticking to my current plan of letting the funds that I use trend following strats in just go with the signal and be pissed I didn't pull the plug in Feb instead of March, even though I briefly thought about breaking with a still positive signal back then.

The rest of my cash will DCA in at the beginning of May and once a month for half a year. Even if we actually do get a very V-shaped recovery that should allow me to buy in at some decent enough levels, especially if the pandemic seems to pick up pace again after the summer.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
If my account survives this rally, I'm done with these big YOLO bets, lol.

Sign me up for theta gang.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have two coworkers talking about how much Royal Caribbean stock they have bought and I'm just like... who is going to ever want to go on a cruise again?

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have two coworkers talking about how much Royal Caribbean stock they have bought and I'm just like... who is going to ever want to go on a cruise again?
Maybe if they're willing to wait enough years. People forget.

Bought some bank stock (ING group,AEX) that was on it's lowest since 2009 and some IWDA ETF last week. Still have some extra cash ready for when i see some opportunities.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017

Many cruise lovers (myself included) loooooove cheap cruises. I can only see them going cheaper. Especially combined with plane tickets to the ports.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be a dick in general but people are dumb as shit, they will flock right back to a cruise because it will be cheap and they want to celebrate being out of lock down at some point, thats slightly oxymoronic of them.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not to be a dick in general but people are dumb as shit, they will flock right back to a cruise because it will be cheap and they want to celebrate being out of lock down at some point, thats slightly oxymoronic of them.
Look at New York yesterday. Tons of people ignored social distancing to view the USNS Comfort arriving. Big ship arriving, let's go see it and risk getting sick.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Ever since I bought 3M on 3/23, they have been steady Eddie on the way up. My only wish is that I had more money to put in.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When is this shit gonna fucking tank.
I don't know if it will "tank" like it did previously. I still think we'll go lower, but it'll be more gradual. The Fed is injecting unlimited capital directly into the market's jugular on a daily basis and none of the bad news coming out is a surprise. Something shocking and unexpected would need to happen for the market to drill again. I expect something will... eventually.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Wait, why do some peeps here keep trying to time/understand the market lmao?

As though the market was at any time predictable -- in the most unpredictable time ever -- let's predict, and get upset when our predictions don't pan out?

The "why isn't it doing what I thought it would do" posts are lighthearted sarcasm, right?

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017

As though the market was at any time predictable -- in the most unpredictable time ever -- let's predict, and get upset when our predictions don't pan out?

The "why isn't it doing what I thought it would do" posts are lighthearted sarcasm, right?

This thread is wallstreetbets, and has been for the last month.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017

Some people predicted. News about the virus started in January before the crash. There was a dip in the market at the end up January. These are the people who got out. Then the market recovered in February. Probably because of the people who thought the Jan dip provided stock buying bargains. Wrong. The market crashes big time.

When there was a dip in the market in January, people should have asked... why? The answer was right there in the news. Yes, the virus was a black swan, but it didn't happen overnight. The warnings were there.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

I started noticing signals in early feb about the market and posted about it in the investment thread. It was obvious a pullback was coming, maybe even a correction, but I was wrong about the speed of the decline and fast descent into a bear market. I don't think this is something anyone could have predicted. There were a lot of positive indicators at the time (early feb) but you started to see some big divergences. Warning signs that a trend was going to change. The point isn't to time the market to the absolute top and bottom. It is to locate signal signs to see if the market is signaling a change is coming sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Smart people have always said that the stock market ≠ the economy. What's stopping the two from diverging further and does that portend bad things?

Status
Not open for further replies.