• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The New York Times has cooked up a controversy in Italy after tinkering with the recipe for the classic Roman dish pasta carbonara.

Called "Smoky Tomato Carbonara", the recipe, by Kay Chun, was published by NYT Cooking. To be fair to Chun, she did preface her version of the recipe by saying that "tomatoes are not traditional in carbonara, but they lend a bright tang to the dish".

But it wasn't just the tomatoes: the recipe replaced guanciale with bacon, "since it's widely available and lends a nice smoky note", and used parmesan cheese instead of pecorino.

The indignation began among passionate foodies on social media – "This isn't remotely close to being a carbonara. Stop this madness," wrote one – before attracting the ire of top Italian chefs and the farmers' association Coldiretti, which described "Smoky Tomato Carbonara" as the "tip of the iceberg" in the "falsification" of traditional Italian dishes..

www.theguardian.com

'Stop this madness': NYT angers Italians with 'smoky tomato carbonara' recipe

Recipe using bacon and parmesan cheese attracts ire of chefs, foodies and farmers’ association

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew that one "Italian immigrant forced to watch as pineapple is put on pizza for the first time" pic was so true to life.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this doesn't come across as ignorant (and maybe it is, idk) but I hate gatekeeping like this in the food world. Especially when it seems the NYT author even said this wasn't meant to be particularly authentic pasta

Then again I recognize that there is a fuckton of gross appropriation/general insensitiveness to cultural staple dishes and maybe this qualifies?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't come across as ignorant (and maybe it is, idk) but I hate gatekeeping like this in the food world. Especially when it seems the NYT author even said this wasn't meant to be particularly authentic pasta

Then again I recognize that there is a fuckton of gross appropriation/general insensitiveness to cultural staple dishes and maybe this qualifies?

I mean it's not like art is being stolen or practices are being sold and marketed to an audience who doesn't understand them, they just put some bacon and tomato into a dish. It's just food.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I added vinegar to my tonkotsu ramen when living in Japan, and my Japanese friends made fun of me until they tried it and found it to be delicious. Not like it's unheard of, either, considering google results for "酢 ラーメン" (vinegar ramen)

Why do people care how others prepare their food so much? Same thing with people that unironically get heated over pineapple on pizza; there are people who don't just joke about it, because I had a boss refuse to get it for the office because he thought it was disgusting despite more than half the employees wanting it. Some other coworkers were against it, despite people wanting it. Let people eat what they want if it's not harming anyone.
Then again I recognize that there is a fuckton of gross appropriation/general insensitiveness to cultural staple dishes
While this is totally true, I feel like it's a separate issue.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I added vinegar to my tonkotsu ramen when living in Japan, and my Japanese friends made fun of me until they tried it and found it to be delicious. Not like it's unheard of, either, considering google results for "酢 ラーメン" (vinegar ramen)

Why do people care how others prepare their food so much? Same thing with people that unironically get heated over pineapple on pizza; there are people who don't just joke about it, because I had a boss refuse to get it for the office because he thought it was disgusting despite more than half the employees wanting it. Some other coworkers were against it, despite people wanting it. Let people eat what they want if it's not harming anyone.

While this is totally true, I feel like it's a separate issue.

I guess I don't understand how food can be culturally appropriated. I understand that's kind of a loaded term but I fully believe it exists, I just don't know how it can count when new dishes are made by trying different things.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (4 Months): Concern Trolling Around Appropriation and Inflammatory Derail Attempt; Long History and Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
Funny to see the reactions to this vs. "white chef does something different to an Asian dish" type-threads.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the controversy? It said up front that it wasn't a traditional dish and that they went with easy to find ingredients so that people could actually make it themselves. How many people can get pecorino or guanciale at their grocery store?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like Italians should have a bigger issue with places like The Olive Garden than some random recipe in the NYTs if this was the case.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I never knew that one "Italian immigrant forced to watch as pineapple is put on pizza for the first time" pic was so true to life.

New York Italian gatekeeping is two of the most obnoxious types of gatekeeping (New Yorker gatekeeping and Italian gatekeeping) married into one big pile of gabagool.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Guanciale is very tough to find in the average supermarket. Don't see what the problem is besides traditionalists and bougie folks saying there's a problem.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Man, people who gets offended when things aren't made by the book weird me out. There are infinite combinations for making a dish, location specific variations, adaptations due to lack of ingredient disponibility or simply a thing of personal taste. It's fine, it's all fine.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Tomato in a Carbonara is probably was is causing the confusion and outrage.
Adding Tomato makes it a different dish.

Here's a clip from a british cooking show:

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I guess I don't understand how food can be culturally appropriated. I understand that's kind of a loaded term but I fully believe it exists, I just don't know how it can count when new dishes are made by trying different things.

I think it depends on how it's framed. If it's something like this case, where the chef is just presenting it as a fun twist on a classic dish, that's fine.

But there are also articles and videos of white chefs purporting to have the definitive version of a traditional dish (asian or latin american, for example ), and it's easy to see how the members of those cultures would take offense.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty common to add vinegar to Chinese noodles, wonton mien for example, with red vinegar is standard.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Gate keeping of food is the worst shit ever. One of the most fun things about cooking is putting your own twist on stuff and experimenting and sharing.

Cultural appropriation aside, which doesn't seem to be.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like that big of an outrage. National food groups like Coldiretti are paid to enforce as conservative a view on food as possible, and randos on social media getting mad at bacon in carbonara are extremely easy to ignore as nobody is going to pay $25~$40/lb for guanciale for a weekend family dinner.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
People obsessing over authenticity in food that isn't being labeled as authentic is the most bullshit thing.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may taste fine but they are right that it isn't Carbonara at all.

It just some random pasta dish lol

Oct 27, 2017
I think people take offense when you name it the same as food that has very specific ingredients or ways of being made. Like "tomato carbonara"? What? Why not just call it pasta which is the catchall term?

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
While on the surface it doesn't seem like much of an issue, when it happens to a dish from your culture you can't help but be really fucking mad, I've been through this before and I didn't care that the recipe wasn't meant to be "authentic".

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Italian (and French) food nationalism is some of the strangest shit.
For Italians and the French, cuisine is regional identity. It's not strange and calling it such is awful.

From the 5th generation Michael Anthony Proscuitto jackoffs in Staten Island upset by this? It's not just strange, it's fucking embarrassing.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I can't imagine getting this upset about someone, say, putting asparagus in a recipe for Swedish meatballs or some shit. Fucking what.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Per my wife, who is both Italian, and learned how to cook from her father in a long line of cooks in the family: Food is meant to be experimented on. Some of the best chefs of our time started their career by reinventing classic dishes and putting their own spin on them. It doesn't make the classic dish invalid or disappear. It just makes something new. Sometimes the new thing works and sometimes it doesn't. That is what makes cooking exciting.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

If the recipe acknowledges the ways it's differing from the original and where the substitutions are being made I'm not sure there's even really an appropriation issue? They're pretty straight up that this is using more easily sourced American substitutions, and adding tomatoes because we know y'all Americans like tomatoes. At least this seems seems like a reasonably tasty dish, unlike previous NYT classics like why don't you make your guacamole just a little bit worse with some peas, or the bizarre Sino-Mexican fusion of ma po tofu nachos.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I think people take offense when you name it the same as food that has very specific ingredients or ways of being made. Like "tomato carbonara"? What? Why not just call it pasta which is the catchall term?
Because it's still otherwise using the same preparation method as a carbonara, just with tomato paste and cherry tomatoes added to it.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I see people get offended when you mess with tradiional dishes. I mean, I get it especially when I see people do some crazy stuff to ramen.

This doesn't seem that bad. But it's not carbonara.

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
While on the surface it doesn't seem like much of an issue, when it happens to a dish from your culture you can't help but be really fucking mad, I've been through this before and I didn't care that the recipe wasn't meant to be "authentic".

Yeah. If someone tried to pass off tacos as "open faced minced beef wraps with zesty tomato sauce" I'd pop a blood vessel instantly.

That's not what's happening here but there has been a thread about it before with a different dish. People were very dismissive then.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Let's be real here, Italians have been appropriating dishes far before Americans have.
Well that's the thing. It isn't called a carbonara, it's called "tomato carbonara" so yes. It's distinct, and it is not trying to be a traditional dish.

Hell most Italian foods actually use that naming scheme. They took something traditional, and added extra ingredients.

For example, my family never made traditional pizzelles most of the time. We made Pizzelles con ciacollato. (chocolate pizzelle).
This really isn't an issue, and I say this as a 2nd Gen Italian.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be fair I've had fish and chips where the chips were french fries instead of the thicker cut variety. That's not fish and chips. I just know to avoid that place now, no need for outrage, just disappointment.

Same problem here, a carbonara doesn't have tomato. I don't think many people are genuinely outraged, just the usual social media amplification.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Italians are like
9z5n.gif

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Same problem here, a carbonara doesn't have tomato.
That's why the NYT literally called it tomato carbonara.

The "it's not carbonara because it has tomato" argument is like claiming that "buttered bread" is an inappropriate way to refer to bread with butter on it, on the grounds that the word "bread" doesn't imply the presence of butter.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the definition of faux outrage. Chefs are constantly changing ingredients to recipes to create something new. Anyone upset that the NYT made a smoky tomato carbonara needs to take a deep breath.

I can't even believe these quotes are real:

"I follow the NYT on Instagram and thought it was a fake," Alessandro Pipero, a chef in Rome known as "the carbonara king", told Corriere della Sera. "It would be like putting salami in a cappuccino or mortadella in sushi. OK, fine, but then let's not call it sushi, similarly with this one – carbonara with tomato is not carbonara. It's something else."

It's not called carbonara! The NYT did exactly what he wanted them to do by calling it something else.

Coldiretti was sterner in its reaction. "The real risk," the association said in a statement, "is that a fake 'made in Italy' dish takes root in international cooking, removing the authentic dish from the market space, and trivialising our local specialities which originate from unique techniques and territories."

If this takes root in international cooking and removes the original carbonara from restaurants, it's because people like it more. That obviously isn't going to happen, but there's nothing wrong with tastes changing.

Coldiretti added that pasta carbonara was one of the most "betrayed" Italian recipes abroad. But the association is keeping track of plenty of others.

"Caprese is served with industrial cheese instead of mozzarella di bufala or fior di latte, while there are also cases of pasta with pesto served with almonds, walnuts or pistachios instead of pine nuts."

Of course I don't use pine nuts when I make pesto; they're really expensive! My Italian grandma would be proud that I'm keeping her recipes alive and making them my own instead of worrying about some made up betrayal.

Last edited:

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What's the controversy? It said up front that it wasn't a traditional dish and that they went with easy to find ingredients so that people could actually make it themselves. How many people can get pecorino or guanciale at their grocery store?

This is what I'm leaning towards. I don't even know what those two ingredients are and I can easily get bacon and parmesan.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's why the NYT literally called it tomato carbonara.

The "it's not carbonara because it has tomato" argument is like claiming that "buttered bread" is an inappropriate way to refer to bread with butter on it, on the grounds that the word "bread" doesn't imply the presence of butter.
I get that and it's why nobody should be offended, I was more defending people who gently disapprove of it I guess. They make it clear it's tomato and that's fine, there's no controversy here.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Just don't call it what it isn't, do the research.

I'm from Spain, we had a fascist dictatorship. A part of that is the fascists pushed ultra patriotism on everyone. So after four decades of that, many didn't identify with the anthem or the flag anymore, we were divided by those symbols. What made us all Spanish was the culture, and that includes food culture, like Spanish omelette or tapas. To us, it's as important as the flag is for Americans, and I've seen how fucking insane many Americans go if you disrespect what to most is just a piece of cloth.

When fucking Jaimie Oliver makes arroz con cosas, a spanish dish, and calls it paella, a different Spanish dish, because he couldn't be bothered to do a little bit of fucking research, yet profits off of our culture, which means is getting the attention a spanish chef is not, it offends us. When others who don't belong to our culture try to "evolve it" we say, it's not yours to evolve. Take what you learn from our food and make something your own and name it whatever you want, say you were inspired by what inspired you, but don't come telling us how you improved or reinvented our culture because you can't affect a culture you don't belong to. Think of how offensive it would be to do that to the flag, traditional costume, ritual, stories, you name it, of a different culture. Why is food different? It's only seen as different by those from cultures where food is not related to identity.