• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Surprise, fuckers, Nomura wrote Kingdom Hearts again for this story!

Darkness
Darkness is light
Darkness is darkness is light
Darkness is light is darkness
Darkness is chaos
Darkness is needed for the light
Kill Darkness to become Chaos

"All begins and ends with Darkness"

Last edited:

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get bored just reading the concept, I can only imagine how bored the development team must feel when on day 40 animating their 30th cinematic about light and dark and chaos

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I get bored just reading the concept, I can only imagine how bored the development team must feel when on day 40 animating their 30th cinematic about light and dark and chaos

Yeah, I have no idea how Nomura thinks it's interesting to keep writing about using darkness to time travel and whatever dumb shit he uses the concept of darkness for.

But it's amazing he literally just made this game M rated Kingdom Hearts.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Do we know how long does the game last on average? Because I want to play it for the... story... but I don't want to spend 80 hours on it.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how long does the game last on average? Because I want to play it for the... story... but I don't want to spend 80 hours on it.
Mr Happy, a well-known FFXIV streamer and guide creator, finished the game in a 20-hr stream after picking up his demo save data. I think there are 17 main story missions, each between 1-2 hours.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I think nomura like Kojima need a writing room. They have cool concepts and stuff but the way they go about it is so dull and boring. At least for death stranding haven't played MGS so I don't know how wild those get.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have actual story spoilers? I don't understand anything in the OP.

The game quickly devolves into Kingdom Hearts with Jack ranting about darkness and characters making very inane statements about darkness. The final boss is a NiOh looking Heartless with the name "Darkness Manifest"

This amused me greatly as Nomura was in charge of Kingdom Hearts and this, but the Kingdom Hearts focus on darkness was not hinted at in the promotional material leading up to release.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The game quickly devolves into Kingdom Hearts with Jack ranting about darkness and characters making very inane statements about darkness. The final boss is a NiOh looking Heartless with the name "Darkness Manifest"

This amused me greatly as Nomura was in charge of Kingdom Hearts and this, but the Kingdom Hearts focus on darkness was not hinted at in the promotional material leading up to release.

I think what he's asking is if you're going to actually spoil the plot beats, because all you're doing is kind of just giving fractured and kind of vague descriptions lol

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
I came in here to find out if Jack kills chaos. It's been over 30 minutes and I have no answer.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura isn't writing the game, stop blaming him for things he's not doing, lol.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I skimmed the final cutscene so this is probably all wrong but my understanding is -

They're all stuck in a loop created by the Lufarians to deal with keeping the darkness in check, which is done via the Stranger project.

Astos has a plan to break the time loop the strangers are in and they all get the crystals that hold their memories. The four friends use Jack to take on the mantle of Chaos and guide him down that path.

They all go back in time where they transform into their four fiends bodies and explain to Jack what they did.

Jack becomes Chaos and in 2000 years the warriors of light turn up to fight him.

Like I said I skimmed it but if you have half an hour:

Oct 25, 2017
so does this end with Jack turning into the Chaos from FF1 ?

Sort of. Split timelines and it doesn't lead into FF1 because too much is just fundamentally different. Luferia is a future society that is basically quarantining darkness within the past in a series of time loops, but Jack and pals with Astos' help break the cycle and gain control of it.

This isn't at all "Garland awakens the four friends and the four friends send Garland back in time to awaken the four friends".

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm just wondering if we see the Warriors of Light from FF1 and how they all look.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I skimmed the final cutscene so this is probably all wrong but my understanding is -

They're all stuck in a loop created by the Lufarians to deal with keeping the darkness in check, which is done via the Stranger project.

Astos has a plan to break the time loop the strangers are in and they all get the crystals that hold their memories. The four friends use Jack to take on the mantle of Chaos and guide him down that path.

They all go back in time where they transform into their four fiends bodies and explain to Jack what they did.

Jack becomes Chaos and in 2000 years the warriors of light turn up to fight him.

fuck yes

The writing staff of this game straight up admitted to changing their marketing plans because apparently western viewers figured out their plot twists. 😂

This is so good. Bless this game.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't spoil the plot right away because I'm still incredibly confused at what darkness can do in this game, lol.

Darkness needs to be dumped into a timeloop dimension to be quarantined from the advanced civilization, but darkness can also time travel, and darkness can become a heartless. What is this darkness and what can't it do.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The final boss fight is against Chaos and named "Darkness Manifest". It's the standard Chaos design that's been used ever since Dissidia.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The staff of this game straight up admitted to changing their marketing plans because apparently western viewers figured out their plot twists. 😂

...figured out? That shit was obvious from the first second when we found out it was about FF1 and it wasn't the classic WoL as the protag and this new meathead going on about killing Chaos. I literally went "oh so this dudes Garland before the heel turn". The specifics as to why that happened were a complete mystery though.

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest moment is when Jack punches Astos and Astos punches Jack, and their fists meet, and it shows an image of when they fist bumped earlier in the game.

I'm not joking.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
...figured out? That shit was obvious from the first second when we found out it was about FF1 and it wasn't the classic WoL as the protag and this new meathead going on about killing Chaos. I literally went "oh so this dudes Garland before the heel turn". The specifics as to why that happened were a complete mystery though.

It was originally going to be a mystery. There was a big interview in Famitsu about it, and I think it was Nomura who said that originally the marketing was going to be more 'Who is Jack?' and they then pivoted to 'How does Jack become Chaos?' instead, but it seems like they just kind of abandoned that and started marketing it as more of a 'reimagining' of FF1 even though it seems like it was more of a prequel in spirit based on these spoilers, so I kind of think they never really figured out how to present the game.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
losing my mind at him fistbumping over his allies corpses sad no one can fistbump back WHAT IS THIS GAME

Oct 25, 2017
It was originally going to be a mystery. There was a big interview in Famitsu about it, and I think it was Nomura who said that originally the marketing was going to be more 'Who is Jack?' and they then pivoted to 'How does Jack become Chaos?' instead, but it seems like they just kind of abandoned that and started marketing it as more of a 'reimagining' of FF1 even though it seems like it was more of a prequel in spirit based on these spoilers, so I kind of think they never really figured out how to present the game.

It follows the story beats of FF1, and doesn't remotely like up on core specifics about what crystals are, etc. There is no way that it is a prequel to the FF1 that we know.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Posts like this are why they changed the marketing plans. 😂

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It follows the story beats of FF1, and doesn't remotely like up on core specifics about what crystals are, etc. There is no way that it is a prequel to the FF1 that we know.

It's a prequel in the sense that it shows how Garland became Chaos, which is something that is never explained in the original game. That's why I said 'prequel in spirit' and not direct prequel to the events of FF1. It feels pretty obvious at this point that they were going to try and present this as some kind of retelling of FF1 and then have the twist be that it's actually about Chaos/Garland with the Warriors of Light being hinted at the end, even if it doesn't line up exactly with FF1

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Does Jack/Garland/Chaos say "I, Garland, will knock you all down!!" at any point in this game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
From MrHappy's stream

rUsSR9q.gif

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Final cutscene looked pretty gory, interesting they took it this far. Wonder if they'll continue to do M rated spin-offs if this have any sort of commercial success.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Just give it to me straight.

Does he kill chaos and if so, does it satiate his hunger?