Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Please don't try to conflate this with sexual abuse, unless she states it is.

There is a league of difference between an asshole and a rapists.

Sadly Hollywood is filled with both.
I'm not conflating it. Read my posts instead of acting all angrily about this. Sexual abuse is way worse and an actual sex crime. Verbal abuse in the work environment is still abuse and comdemnable though. Not sure why you are so angry.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Once I heard about this I knew nothing would happen. The creator of Full/Fuller House just let go for the same/similar thing, didn't he? I knew that a big show like Stranger Things wouldn't have the creators let go.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
In light of the now moderation-backed opinion that verbal abuse is just as objectionable as any other kind of abuse, I present the following hypothetical:

Is Gordon Ramsey a serial abuser?

I wouldn't have thought that before, but the shoe fits, doesn't it? Hell, he on-camera reduces people to tears for the viewer's amusement, and he definitely gets angry as fuck off camera. Are there professions where getting loud, screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs angry is acceptable?

Drill sergeant and pofessional sports coach come to mind.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have thought that before, but the shoe fits, doesn't it? Hell, he on-camera reduces people to tears for the viewer's amusement, and he definitely gets angry as fuck off camera. Are there professions where getting loud, screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs angry is acceptable?

I've asked musicians if they ever had a teacher that was as much a lunatic as the guy in Whiplash, because I thought JK Simmons' performance was silly and over-the-top. And they were all like, "Oh no, I've had a teacher or two that screamed and threw shit around."

I wonder what it is about music that drives people insane? It seems like you rarely hear about art teachers or drama teachers flipping the hell out.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Anyone using those hastags at this point understands that they largely connote misbehavior of a sexual nature though.

Last I've checked, #MeToo and #TIMEISUP encompass all kinds of abuse, from verbal to sexual abuse.

Just because sexual abuse is worse doesn't make verbal abuse free of criticism or not worthy of the #MeToo / #timeisup hashtags.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not conflating it. Read my posts instead of acting all angrily about this. Sexual abuse is way worse and an actual sex crime. Verbal abuse in the work environment is still abuse and comdemnable though. Not sure why you are so angry.

Please don't play coy anyone using those hashtags knows it conatates sexual abuse in the post metoo movement.

The issue is that the person herself literally said this was verbal abuse.

So as someone who has experienced sexual abuse and friends that have in the industry I don't appreciate you conflating the issues.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I've asked musicians if they ever had a teacher that was as much a lunatic as the guy in Whiplash, because I thought JK Simmons' performance was silly and over-the-top. And they were all like, "Oh no, I've had a teacher or two that screamed and threw shit around."

I wonder what it is about music that drives people insane? It seems like you rarely hear about art teachers or drama teachers flipping the hell out.

Drama teachers are equally crazy. It's the more emotionally engaging/stimulating professions, if I were to hazard a rough guess.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last I've checked, #MeToo and #TIMEISUP encompass all kinds of abuse, from verbal to sexual abuse.

Just because sexual abuse is worse doesn't make verbal abuse free of criticism or not worthy of the #MeToo / #timeisup hashtags.

Perhaps it's not a good idea to conflate the two wildly different types of abuse under the same banners then, especially when the hashtags have heretofore been used almost exclusively for abuses of a sexual or predatory nature. Do you really see people post things that are the gist of "My boss screamed at me and told me I was a worthless idiot #MeToo"?

TimesUpNow.com does not mention verbal abuse, when the word "abuse" is used it's largely in the context of harassment or domestic abuse.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Please don't play coy anyone using those hashtags knows it conatates sexual abuse in the post metoo movement.

The issue is that the person herself literally said this was verbal abuse.

So as someone who has experienced sexual abuse and friends that have in the industry I don't appreciate you conflating the issues.

I have experienced sexual abuse myself. I don't have friends in the industry, but #MeToo and #Timeisup are ALSO about verbal abuse:

Regardless of what you or me went through or you having friends in the industry, I don't think you are in a position to dictate what these hashtags are about. I hear you and I understand you, but verbal abuse has been treated as part of the abuses that these hashtags were created against. And honestly, this is a silly straw man argument to have.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
We are closing this thread pending more details of the alleged abuse. While these women coming forward is news, it doesn't appear there is anything else concrete to discuss yet. Since everyone has an individual threshold for tolerable hostility, this conversation has continually derailed to assessments of hypothetical behavior.

This topic can begin again when the actual circumstances behind the accusations are detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.