subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think so, I think in S5 the military and the bad-guy-general will take over Hawkins, cordoning off the town over claims of underground mine fires a la Centralia, and will take her body away to do experiments or monitor her and they'll come to some conclusion about how tied up she is to Vecna in some way. S4 ends setting up a Red Dawn/survivalist/militias type of situation for S5 IMO and I can imagine early S5 being about going to save Max from wherever the military took her.
Didn't the Duffer Bros say season 5 will have a timeskip so the actors will look their age? Eleven is 14 in the show but the actor is 18 now.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I laughed at One's story about becoming an "explorer" and seeing so many incredible things.

And while they show it he's just in a shitty dimension with floating rocks, slimy dog creatures, and a big cloud. I guess it makes sense that he would think that place is cool, but it was still funny to hear his description of it and see it at the same time.
Dude got sent to the shadow realm by a little girl, walked in a straight line for a day, stumbled across some mass of of powerful dust by chance, put a spider skin on it, and then just started gassing himself up for no reason lmao

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I laughed at One's story about becoming an "explorer" and seeing so many incredible things.

And while they show it he's just in a shitty dimension with floating rocks, slimy dog creatures, and a big cloud. I guess it makes sense that he would think that place is cool, but it was still funny to hear his description of it and see it at the same time.

You're crazy,
the Upside Down is beautiful in a fucked up way. Dude's powerful enough to explore it without fear. Imagine having an entire world all to yourself, unexplored.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also the timeskip could come mid season or something. I don't see how you go from that final shot to "five years later"

Honestly it would be pretty ballsy if they broke the season in half again like this season, and the timeskip happens during the midseason break.

But honestly I just imagine we're going to get like a six-month jump between seasons.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it would be pretty ballsy if they broke the season in half again like this season, and the timeskip happens during the midseason break.

But honestly I just imagine we're going to get like a six-month jump between seasons.
I fully expect the final season to be split into volume 1 and 2 again with a gap. For sure seems to be the trend lately with the final season of shows.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished episode 8. What a beautiful slow build to a sweet setup for ep 9. The cinematography was 🤯

Watching it tomorrow.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I expect any timeskip is like 6 months to maybe 2 years at most.

A larger timeskip like 5 or 6 years would be a bit weird if some kind of massive invasion through the new gates didn't happen in that time. That seems like a near future threat.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Thought Will was going to at the very least officially come out. Poor guy is the one character left hanging (though his brother will be soon, too, just doesn't know it yet 🫥)

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Actually
this feels like it was hinted at when Max explains she wanted her brother to die and Lucas-Vecna starts to chide her for wanting others to die. That could be setting up an explanation as to why deep-down Henry wanted his family dead, and a connection between Max and Henry that might help defeat Vecna now that she is part of him.

I really enjoyed that scene with them, I feel like it gave some more subtle characterization to Henry, him calling Max the "chosen one", alongside all of his other comments, I think that might be the first time he's felt "connected" to another human since El. Almost like he saw a bit of himself in her. I could see their dynamic furthering in s5, maybe Max will have a part of Vecna in her(or the other way around). Maybe he's tormenting her mind/spirit/whatever while she is in a coma. She was also his only victim to actually die and then come back, so that will also likely make her special.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'm ngl I laughed at the small part where you see Steve walking away as Robin comforts him after seeing Jonathan and Nancy. You gotta let it go King

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
So it's pretty much a give they'll hold the finale and do a special single episode. I feel like that's the only way to let critical mass not get spoiled.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Noah Schnapp got stretched thin when he had to emote and speak at the same time. I enjoy the show but that was the first time to burst out laughing at his 'scene' in the van, complete with turn away from actor when speaking to them and turn head back for 'impact'.

Finale was okay... this show really needs some culling. That all the mains survive is eyeroll inducing. Bring in some stakes damnit.

Oct 26, 2017
I really do hate how Robin
talked about doomed love in the first episode cause that's what this whole damn season was about lmao.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Finally getting around to watching season 4. Episode 4, wow!!!!!! My scalp was actually tingling at the end. Having that play very loud on our 7.2 sound system and 77" Oled. That sound. The visuals. The perfect soundtrack. Gawd damn what an incredible moment of television.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it with some friends. I enjoyed it, but I have some minor gripes.

Feels like they played it WAY too safe. Eddie died, everyone saw that coming. Max I was honestly surprised they were killing her off and then they did a fakeout. Should have killed at least one character that's been around from the beginning to really set the stakes.

Also... I'm not a huge fan of Vecna being the big bad guy behind everything the whole time. I doubt they do a twist where that's not the case, because they already made it a bit of a twist here that he was always in charge when earlier they were just calling him the Mind Flayer's general or whatever. I'm a much bigger fan of a faceless evil that is alien and hard to understand rather than giving the evil a face to talk with and motivations.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017

I think the Duffers were pretty explicit with his role as a white supremacist. Accusing Lucas at gun point,taking the law into his own hands because he thinks he's just and right, blaming others for evil while he is, in fact, the one doing wrong.
Noah Schnapp got stretched thin when he had to emote and speak at the same time. I enjoy the show but that was the first time to burst out laughing at his 'scene' in the van, complete with turn away from actor when speaking to them and turn head back for 'impact'.

Finale was okay... this show really needs some culling. That all the mains survive is eyeroll inducing. Bring in some stakes damnit.

He was hiding his feelings. It has nothing to do with the actor not being capable of it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Duffers were pretty explicit with his role as a white supremacist. Accusing Lucas at gun point, taking the law into his own hands because he thinks he's just and right, blaming others for evil while he is, in fact, the one doing wrong.

One hundred percent. That final standoff felt like he was half a second away from saying it.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
One hundred percent. That final standoff felt like he was half a second away from saying it.

I liked the commentary and at the same time it's missing the depth and nuance of, say, Jordan Peele doing what he does in his movies. I appreciate they went for it, but it almost feels like tokenization of Lucas that because he was a Black character in this mostly white town that he had to face some sort of racially charged challenge. As a white person myself, I don't feel equipped to write about the Black experience. It's interesting to me that King has started to, tho.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Guess I'll put my thoughts on death in ST since some inferences could be made for those who haven't finished-
It's all fun when I say I want Jonathan to die or post about how concerned over Steve I am but at the end of the day ST is still a pretty optimistic show. Hopefully people don't think this show isn't going towards a happy ending for almost everyone if not everyone in season 5.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I don't need death to fear it. I love all these characters. The stakes are I want them alive at the end of the series. Death to show stakes isn't necessary. Weird complaint "not enough death"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why are y'all so blood thirsty? Lol.

We have an entire generation of TV watchers who completely missed the point of Game of Thrones killing off characters and now equate stakes solely with character death.

It doesn't matter that Max's life is potentially completely ruined, or that Hawkins is an uninhabitable extradimensional hellhole. Not enough people's heads exploded so there are no stakes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
We have an entire generation of TV watchers who completely missed the point of Game of Thrones killing off characters and now equate stakes with character death.

It doesn't matter that Max's life is potentially completely ruined, or that Hawkins is an uninhabitable extradimensional hellhole. Not enough people's heads exploded so there are no stakes.
I spent the last month saying nothing too bad would ever happen to one of the kid characters then that Max scene hit and I was like, "damn they fucking her up" lmao. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I would simply not live in Hawkins.

I loved both parts of this season though I found parts of these two episodes pretty tedious and silly. Still, great TV.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
We have an entire generation of TV watchers who completely missed the point of Game of Thrones killing off characters and now equate stakes solely with character death.

Yep. And it's why the later seasons of GoT was so terrible as they kept trying to create more "shocking" deaths even though the core cast clearly had plot armor.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Not to mention fanbases just get super angry about character deaths now, People on twitter are already getting angry and saying the duffers shouldnt write Season 5 because they're mad over Eddie and Max

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. And it's why the later seasons of GoT was so terrible as they kept trying to create more "shocking" deaths even though the core cast clearly had plot armor.

Pretty much. Once they ran out of the character deaths George clearly wrote to serve the story in very distinct ways, D&D were like "UHHHHHH KILL THAT ONE" whenever the story hit a lull, which of course led to the audience getting increasingly comfortable with characters just getting knocked off the board at random, regardless of whether or not it meant anything to the story.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Really enjoyed this season, not perfect since the paced was kinda fucked up, having so much different shit happening in different places at the same time wasn't the best for the show, and some characters felt misused for most part of the season, at least until the last 2 episodes, Jonathan for example had a good turnaround.
Hopper's core felt like a big missed opportunity, it was one of the things I was looking forward the most but outside of a few scenes (Hopper's monologue was spetacular) it just didn't hit.
And I also hope they address
Eddie's reputation in some way, I do expect for them to change something if anything else due people's complaints (TikTok won't like what they did to him).

Unfortunately they can't change the fact that literally everyone but Dustin reacted to his death, that was just bizarre, it's almost like they had different endings prepared depending on what fate they chose for each character and Eddie's was basically that one scene since he was ''only'' the new character for the season, so they couldn't do much more with the remaining duration compared to say, a hypothetical Mike death which would obviously get a bigger focus if it happened, and again, not saying I really believe this is the case as they probably had the outline for the last 2 seasons written for a while, it just felt weird to me.
Even though the final scene was emotionally good because of Dustin's and Eddie's uncle's performance it still was a sore thumb in an almost perfect ending, at first I wasn't enjoying the character that much, compared to most people at least, but I ended up liking him and I believe he could've had a way better conclusion overall.
This is only my opinion of course, I imagine I'm not alone on that but I don't know if many feel the same way,

Outside of these complaints this is easily my 2nd favorite season behind S1, Max was amazing, they managed to increase stakes and scale in a believable and good way (budget really well used), the transition to a more horror vibe was well done too.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
It's getting pretty tiring to see people complain about there being not enough death. lol it's especially weird since most of the characters are just kids.

They are storytelling vessels, not real people. In my media consumption of any series, I am invested in the efforts of the journey. I want the best outcome but you can't always get what you want. Being given what you want is lazy storytelling. Surprise me, devastate me, just earn the moment... I don't need a seatbelt for the ride. Max, bravely, was willing to chance another encounter with Vecna. I felt cheated out of my initial emotional response to her death.

He was hiding his feelings. It has nothing to do with the actor not being capable of it.

Oh he most was definitely hiding his acting haha

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the commentary and at the same time it's missing the depth and nuance of, say, Jordan Peele doing what he does in his movies. I appreciate they went for it, but it almost feels like tokenization of Lucas that because he was a Black character in this mostly white town that he had to face some sort of racially charged challenge. As a white person myself, I don't feel equipped to write about the Black experience. It's interesting to me that King has started to, tho.
One of things I really do like about this show is who sees into things, past the nonsense- and that's often Will, Erica, and Robin. And they're all people operating in different and difficult positions. So I do think some of the nuance is there.

I also weigh that scene and wonder: does it take on a racially charged element because it becomes what it becomes? Depends on how you slice the white supremacist element, I guess. Mob justice like we see here that targets those who've been othered is a staple of white supremacy so regardless of who he was fighting, it was always about Jason just assuming he had the power simply because he felt personally wronged. Wasn't about Chrissy or anything else. Was just about Jason doing what dudes like that do.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Finished Part 2. 5/10 found it pretty lame compared to the rest of the season, which I was more enthused about.

Eleven spent the whole season basically doing nothing, and her telepathic finale scene was undercooked and anticlimatic.
The entire finale felt very by-the-numbers. Theres zero depth.
Not sure what they intend on doing with half the characters at this point. Mike, Will, and his brother feel like window dressing.

Also lol @ Eddie deciding to sacrifice himself for literally no reason.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
You can see in S1 and S2 that Noah is one of the best if not the best child actor there amongst the cast. Sadie Sink and Millie Bobby Brown give him a run for his money but damn he's right up there with them. Dude deserves a career outside of this.
Noah was accepted into University of Pennsylvania, specifically Wharton which is one of, if not the best business schools in the country. Although he said he doesn't know what he wants to do after graduating.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Part 2. 5/10 found it pretty lame compared to the rest of the season, which I was more enthused about.

Eleven spent the whole season basically doing nothing, and her telepathic finale scene was undercooked and anticlimatic.
The entire finale felt very by-the-numbers. Theres zero depth.
Not sure what they intend on doing with half the characters at this point. Mike, Will, and his brother feel like window dressing.

Also lol @ Eddie deciding to sacrifice himself for literally no reason.
Eleven couldn't have done anything even if she was with the group because she had no powers. Plus, the way she got her powers back made us learn about Vecna's origin.

Eddie sacrificed himself because if the bats got through the door they would have left the Upside Down and went into the real world possibly killing Dustin and himself.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I think
you're reading this completely wrong. The Mind Flayer existed and is in control of the hivemind, that's not vecma at least from what I figured out. All he did was shaped the particles into the shape of a spider. Vecma if anything thinks he's in control of everything, but I get the feeling the real mind flayer is the one who's actually in control.
I hope youre right.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to take a second to bring up the actual bad thing that no one's talking about, that being the colonel who's just running around machine gun mass murdering Americans across the country willy nilly because FACTIONS

really didnt need any of that

I mean I understand its function, but like, c'mon man

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to take a second to bring up the actual bad thing that no one's talking about, that being the colonel who's just running around machine gun mass murdering Americans across the country willy nilly because FACTIONS

really didnt need any of that

I mean I understand its function, but like, c'mon man
It just doesn't feel like it matters