• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopper is totally alive. You can watch the machine blowing up and slow the scene down, there's no one standing next to it (Hopp escaped). Joyce also closes her eyes as she turns the keys, and they blank the screen for a few seconds. They're setting up for hopper to be all lean and ripped for season 4 in the Siberian prison. That's also why they showed him being so fat and poked fun at him as fat Rambo all this season. In shape, hot Hopper incoming for season 4.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'm curious to see how (if) things transpire between the Byers/Hawkins kids and US government with Hopper gone. He was essentially the bridge or liaison of sorts between them and apparently shielded them from some nefarious dealmaking. Joyce is the main adult link now and she (for good reason) isn't the most diplomatic with them to say the least. I suppose Murray could step up but would he and for all their sake? I suppose Jonathan, Nancy, Steve, and/or now Robin could be points of contact too but that seems unlikely.

With Hop out of the picture might they go aggressive hush-hush mode again? Or is the baddie focus all on forces from the USSR now?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious to see how (if) things transpire between the Byers/Hawkins kids and US government with Hopper gone. He was essentially the bridge or liaison of sorts between them and apparently shielded them from some nefarious dealmaking. Joyce is the main adult link now and she (for good reason) isn't the most diplomatic with them to say the least. I suppose Murray could step up but would he and for all their sake? I suppose Jonathan, Nancy, Steve, and/or now Robin could be points of contact too but that seems unlikely.

With Hop out of the picture might they go aggressive hush-hush mode again? Or is the baddie focus all on forces from the USSR now?

I'm not sure they need a liason any longer. The original deal in place was made before Dr. Owens (Paul Reiser) was placed in charge of the Gov't facility. After the events of S2, Dr. Owens appears to have completely pulled out of Hawkins and been fine with leaving all of them completely alone, only leaving Hopper his number in case of emergency. Since Dr. Owens still seems to hold authority where the gate/Hawkins is involved, I'm pretty sure the normalcy shown at the end of the season means he won't be sending people after the families.

That said, it wouldn't be entirely out of the question for someone over his head to take interest now that the Russia incursion has happened and do something with Dr. Owens being read in on it.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'm not sure they need a liason any longer. The original deal in place was made before Dr. Owens (Paul Reiser) was placed in charge of the Gov't facility. [...]

That said, it wouldn't be entirely out of the question for someone over his head to take interest now that the Russia incursion has happened and do something with Dr. Owens being read in on it.
A bunch more supernatural stuff just happened this season with the Russia incursion, as you noted. The US government is explicitly still trying to cover all that's happened up. Somebody has to ensure none of the civilians involved talk, and I believe the implication is that was Hopper's job. I don't believe the feds are typically ones to just let people act in good faith or from the kindness in their hearts in a classified situation. Or maybe they are now in Stranger Things' slightly idyllic world.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Hopper is totally alive. You can watch the machine blowing up and slow the scene down, there's no one standing next to it (Hopp escaped). Joyce also closes her eyes as she turns the keys, and they blank the screen for a few seconds. They're setting up for hopper to be all lean and ripped for season 4 in the Siberian prison. That's also why they showed him being so fat and poked fun at him as fat Rambo all this season. In shape, hot Hopper incoming for season 4.

That....makes sense. Hellboy bod Hop incoming!

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
A bunch more supernatural events just happened this season with the Russiam incursion, as you noted. The US government is explicitly still trying to cover all that's happened up. Somebody has to ensure none of the civilians involved talk, and I believe the implication is that was Hopper's job. I don't believe the feds are typically ones to just let people act in good faith or from the kindness in their hearts in a classified situation. Or maybe they are now in Stranger Things' slightly idyllic world.

This incident is already national news. If more people from the town disappear, for any reason, it adds more fuel to the fire. The group directly involved is already well versed in not talking about what's happened before. If the Gov't were to act on that group, the rest will find out about it and at the least the Russian incursion aspect will leak (height of the Cold War afterall) and then it's a major public issue. I would think, at most, they'll put a permanent Gov't presence back in the town to guard the gate now but outside of that, simply monitoring those involved would be all that's necessary.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
This incident is already national news. If more people from the town disappear, for any reason, it adds more fuel to the fire. The group directly involved is already well versed in not talking about what's happened before. If the Gov't were to act on that group, the rest will find out about it and at the least the Russian incursion aspect will leak (height of the Cold War afterall) and then it's a major public issue. I would think, at most, they'll put a permanent Gov't presence back in the town to guard the gate now but outside of that, simply monitoring those involved would be all that's necessary.
I don't know about that, man. My point is Hopper was the one monitoring them. Who specifically is monitoring them now? What will they be monitored with? Are all the homes of the families tied to these events going to be wired? I don't think you can (or the feds are known to) monitor something like this with bare presence. Just letting it be for the most part doesn't seem kosher spy fiction, and the spy movie angle was leaned a lot more into this season.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know about that, man. My point is Hopper was the one monitoring them. Who specifically is monitoring them now? What will they be monitored with? Are all the homes of the families tied to these events going to be wired? I don't think you can (or the feds are known to) monitor something like this with bare presence. Just letting it be for the most part doesn't seem kosher spy fiction, and the spy movie angle was leaned a lot more into this season.

apparently Duffer Bros want to take Season 4 outside of Hawkins so this all may be moot.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
feels like season 4 may have more upside down in it.
maybe as EL grows, she connects more with things in the upside down and finds hopper trapped in there. Maybe captured by the Mind Flayer and kept alive so EL has a reason to come to the upside down.
The american in the russian base will be a parallel story to what is occurring with the kids, i dont think it will be hopper. kind of how season 3 had the kids on two different adventures that ultimately tied at the end.

I wonder if there is anything worse than the Mind Flayer. Upside down is as big as the whole earth right?

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
The empty demogorgon cage in the Russian lab below Hawkins and the demogorgon in the post-credits scene suggests to me that the Russians were able to teleport between the different gates somehow. How else would they have gotten all those people and equipment into the lab? I'm guessing that's how Hopper will have escaped, assuming he's the American locked up in Kamchatka.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Watched the entire season. It was great and I loved most of the season. I just didn't like the logic of all that russian stuff. It was just so lame. Almost all of scenes related to that section was nonsense. And I wish they cut the romance off in next season a little bit. This season had too much of it imo.

Overall: 1>>3>>>>2

P.S. I just love Steve. Best character of the entire show.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Hopper wasn't monitoring them at all. He just let them live their lives while he took care of El. El and Joyce were the main reason he cut the deal to begin with. As for monitoring, they'd just do it the same way they did in S1. Phone taps and bugs.

Whatever happens next seasons is likely going to be the result of one faction or another messing with the gate/the upsidedown more. Whether it be the US or the Russians is the only question. I can't see El messing with it again. Not unless she somehow gets the feeling like Hopper is there and she opens it back up to get him out.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Hopper wasn't monitoring them at all. He just let them live their lives while he took care of El. El and Joyce were the main reason he cut the deal to begin with. As for monitoring, they'd just do it the same way they did in S1. Phone taps and bugs.
No, he wasn't actively monitoring them for the government because he's Hopper—at least not after a while but I imagine he was supposed to be monitoring them "officially" because somebody had to if they abandoned Hawkins. Like, if Jonathan and Nancy suddenly decided they were going to tell all to the Hawkins Post and somebody caught wind of that the feds would probably ask Hopper to prevent that from happening first. I believe he was in that kind of position.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
No, he wasn't actively monitoring them for the government because he's Hopper—at least not after a while but I imagine he was supposed to be monitoring them "officially" because somebody had to if they abandoned Hawkins.

Nope. The original agreement had Will going to "therapy" with the new head of the Gov't Facility, which turned out to be Dr. Owens. Outside of that, no monitoring was necessary and once they left, there was no monitoring at all.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Nope. The original agreement had Will going to "therapy" with the new head of the Gov't Facility, which turned out to be Dr. Owens. Outside of that, no monitoring was necessary and once they left, there was no monitoring at all.
Right, that's what the show told us explicitly. I'm talking about what it might not have but still may be. The subtext. The gov't isn't so lackadaisical and I don't think it is (or should be) in Stranger Things' world either. I feel like they would feel a modicum of monitoring is necessary, but hey. 🤷‍♀️

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the season at all. Exact same shit as the other two seasons, very predictable and boring and Max was annoying as hell.

Hoooowever. That last episode had me crying for like 20 minutes. That shit hit hard.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Hey so, did anyone else notice that the only other time we heard that cover of "Heroes" in this series was when they found Will's fake body in season 1? When I was watching it I thought it was on purpose to kinda hint that Hopper isn't really dead, but I don't see people talking about that. Maybe they just like that song and I'm overthinking it.

I loved the neverending story scene so much.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think the American is "Papa." Why set that thread up in season 2 and mention he was very much alive if not to act on it? That will be the reveal of the final scene of the opener of next season. They open the door and out drops Papa.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really digged the finale but it was spoiled by that weird Neverending Story song scene. It's the ultimate example of what's dragged down this season for me: these incessant reference to 80s pop culture. It's in your face and very much egregious in a series that knew to pace itself with the references before. God I knew something was up the moment You Don't Mess Around With Jim was playing as non-digetic background music then the scene cuts to Jim Hopper singing along to it on his car. It's pathetic. It's something Zack Snyder would have done. The spamming of 80s was annoying.

And speaking of Hopper: I'm really disappointed with how dirty they did him this season. They turned him into basically a violent drunk as a joke. It's not funny seeing him violently barge in and yell at Eleven and Max with a bottle on hand early in the season. He wasn't exactly the coolest head amongst the cast of adults but he was never some bumbling idiot that's one step behind commiting domestic assault. Then they got him dressed like Magnum PI with the handlebar 'stache and all. The show takes place in Bumfuck Nowhere, Indiana. Why are you doing this?

God I hope they tone down this shit next season.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I really digged the finale but it was spoiled by that weird Neverending Story song scene. It's really what's dragged this season for me: these incessant reference to 80s pop culture. It's in your face and very much egregious in a series that knew to pace itself with the references before. God I knew something was up the moment You Don't Mess Around With Jim was playing in the non-digetic music then the scene cuts Jim Hopper singing along to it on his car. It's pathetic. It's something Zack Snyder would have done.

And speaking of Hopper: I'm really disappointed how dirty they did him this season. They turned him into basically a violent drunk as a joke. It's not funny seeing him violently barge in and yell at Eleven and Max with a bottle on hand early in the season. He wasn't exactly the coolest head amongst the cast of adults but he was never some bumbling idiot that's one step behind commiting domestic assault. Then they got him dressed like Magnum PI with the handlebar 'stache and all. The show takes place in Bumfuck Nowhere, Indiana. Why are you doing this?

Yes. The show is set in the 80s but let's not reference that at all.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. Thought it was good as usual, but ultimately unsatisfying. El leaving with Wil made no sense to me, and the entire thing just covered up, plus the military only coming in at the very very end, and El losing her powers. Meh.

So many times where they could have just yelled out that there are russians in town, and everyone would have been gung ho as all get out.

Really disliked Hopper in this season, and especially the "romance". Left a bad taste in my mouth. Lots of small situational "jokes" or endearing? situations for a man who's an aggressive toxic alcoholic, that didn't sit right with me at all.

Feels like they're too scared of expanding / changing the world and / or the formula. I'll watch the next season, but my expectations and esteem for this show have certainly been lowered.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. I think it has some really high highs, but is overall the weakest season.

The flayed was a wasted concept that had a lot of potential, but they just ditched it for a giant monster which was lame by comparison.

They really didn't lean on any of the mysteries this season. Most characters figure out what is going on very quickly, some questions are answered almost immediately. However there was some plot threads that were left just dangling. Why were the flayed eating chemicals? Were the rats infecting people? How come the rats never show up again after that one escapes the cage?

The first 5 eps were really great, but when it came to the climax in the last 3 eps the action wasn't that interesting. There were some great moments, like Dustin talking to Suzie, but it overall just didn't grip me. Alexei was an awesome character rip.

My favorite part of this season were the character interactions. These characters are all really fun, with a few exceptions, and their scenes are always a joy to watch. The plot and the conflict unfortunately just did not do it for me, and I was not as invested in what was happening as I was in S1 and 2.

Edit: And yeah as others have said Hopper's treatment in this season was really bizarre. Joyce's treatment was also weird by proxy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Finished the season. I think it has some really high highs, but is overall the weakest season.

The flayed was a wasted concept that had a lot of potential, but they just ditched it for a giant monster which was lame by comparison.

They really didn't lean on any of the mysteries this season. Most characters figure out what is going on very quickly, some questions are answered almost immediately. However there was some plot threads that were left just dangling. Why were the flayed eating chemicals? Were the rats infecting people? How come the rats never show up again after that one escapes the cage?

The first 5 eps were really great, but when it came to the climax in the last 3 eps the action wasn't that interesting. There were some great moments, like Dustin talking to Suzie, but it overall just didn't grip me. Alexei was an awesome character rip.

My favorite part of this season were the character interactions. These characters are all really fun, with a few exceptions, and their scenes are always a joy to watch. The plot and the conflict unfortunately just did not do it for me, and I was not as invested in what was happening as I was in S1 and 2.

Edit: And yeah as others have said Hopper's treatment in this season was really bizarre. Joyce's treatment was also weird by proxy.
I'm guessing the chemical eating was to facilitate turning into goop.
The rats stopped mattering to the story after billy was infected because now it had humans to play with instead of rats. The rats never infected nobody, the rats purpose was to turn into mush so the flayer could begin building a body. Eventually it built a body of rats big enough to trap and infect billy.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Finished the season. Thought it was good as usual, but ultimately unsatisfying. El leaving with Wil made no sense to me, and the entire thing just covered up, plus the military only coming in at the very very end, and El losing her powers. Meh.

So many times where they could have just yelled out that there are russians in town, and everyone would have been gung ho as all get out.

Really disliked Hopper in this season, and especially the "romance". Left a bad taste in my mouth. Lots of small situational "jokes" or endearing? situations for a man who's an aggressive toxic alcoholic, that didn't sit right with me at all.

Feels like they're too scared of expanding / changing the world and / or the formula. I'll watch the next season, but my expectations and esteem for this show have certainly been lowered.

Yeah I think overall it was a stronger season than last one, if only because of it being slightly more unique, and characters like Robin Erica Max elevating it. But it also feels like we are going to be trapped into a similar formula already next season, maybe with a similar monster too. Split the gang up, bring them all together for a battle and then do it over again. I really hope Hopper is actually dead because his death could help shake up the formula.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

I thought the season spent too long in the lab in that long corridor with that stupid vehicle golf car thing they were in.
Two eps of the season were just in there and it was just silly, comic relief skits between the characters which got old fast.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, The Goonies is pretty similar in that respect and I don't expect Chunk to be dealing with PTSD either. Granted, not nearly as dramatic as Stranger Things, but ST never seemed to be striving for realism.

I never said they strived for realism, but The Goonies also wasn't jam packed with gore and violence. There's just levels of gore and comedy i can take before I stop caring about whats actually happening.

Oct 25, 2017
I never said they strived for realism, but The Goonies also wasn't jam packed with gore and violence. There's just levels of gore and comedy i can take before I stop caring about whats actually happening.

I mean TBF there's a difference between being trapped on your own and being hunted in an alien world and seeing people die (almost exclusively people who wish to do you harm). Also Goonies, while not packed with gore and violence, still has characters like Chunk threatened with murder.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
The song it's an instant classic moment, that girl is going to be known for that the rest of her life.

By the way, committed the error of reading comments in her Instagram, people is bullying get for "killing" hoper. People suck.

Oct 27, 2017
I really digged the finale but it was spoiled by that weird Neverending Story song scene. It's the ultimate example of what's dragged down this season for me: these incessant reference to 80s pop culture. It's in your face and very much egregious in a series that knew to pace itself with the references before. God I knew something was up the moment You Don't Mess Around With Jim was playing as non-digetic background music then the scene cuts to Jim Hopper singing along to it on his car. It's pathetic. It's something Zack Snyder would have done. The spamming of 80s was annoying.

And speaking of Hopper: I'm really disappointed with how dirty they did him this season. They turned him into basically a violent drunk as a joke. It's not funny seeing him violently barge in and yell at Eleven and Max with a bottle on hand early in the season. He wasn't exactly the coolest head amongst the cast of adults but he was never some bumbling idiot that's one step behind commiting domestic assault. Then they got him dressed like Magnum PI with the handlebar 'stache and all. The show takes place in Bumfuck Nowhere, Indiana. Why are you doing this?

It's an extreme stretch to suggest Hop was one step removed from domestic assault. He might have been violent with people like the mayor, but you really think he would have done that with El or Mike?!

El leaving with the Byers family made sense because Joyce was the only other adult who knew the truth about everything.

I too thought the Flayed concept was kinda wasted. I thought it was going to take over like half the town and go into something like a Body Snatchers concept. That would have been much more creepy than getting chased by a giant flesh monster.

The song it's an instant classic moment, that girl is going to be known for that the rest of her life.

By the way, committed the error of reading comments in her Instagram, people is bullying get for "killing" hoper. People suck.

Ugh, really?! People are the fucking worst.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
El leaving with the Byers family made sense because Joyce was the only other adult who knew the truth about everything.
Her being with the family, sure. But them leaving, given all that happened? El was much more connected to Mike and Max, also more with the other two kids than Will. It's a really sad ending to think of El getting separated after all that happened, and being removed from her closest friends, so soon too. Only three months after the whole ordeal too. They could have at stayed for a few more years at least so that they can process the trauma at least a bit. Did they really have to leave, and leave that soon? Yeah, why were they leaving in the first place?