• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this season, close to season 1 probably. The large size of the cast now, however, doesn't do a service to some characters.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Whew the end of that put a big lump in my throat. Hopper's letter got me.

Who do we think "the American" is in the credits scene? Did we see Murray leave the mall? My first thought was maybe Hopper but I'm conflicted on that. Not explicitly showing him get vaporized seemed intentional but I don't know how he could have survived.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Who do we think "the American" is in the credits scene? Did we see Murray leave the mall? My first thought was maybe Hopper but I'm conflicted on that. Not explicitly showing him get vaporized seemed intentional but I don't know how he could have survived.
There's about a 1% chance it's not Hopper.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, it's the most likely outcome but I dunno how I feel about it. On one hand I like the character but on the other hand it would take away a lot of the emotional punch from the end of the season if he just shows up again in the next.
Yeah I'm a little conflicted on it. I think they can have him return but only if the letter is the beginning of something that changes his character and impacts L. Narratively and thematically, I think you gotta keep him dead though.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I want more upside down back story. I feel like they can do a lot with it.

Heck, trap half the group in it during season 4 finale

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Monster bit her.

The best part is the song. Storiiiiii . can't wait for season 4.
Overexerting herself all season more than likely. Mike talks about it a few times. Plus that gnarly slug probably did some type of damage. The flayer's whole intent was to get El, so maybe it had a way of suppressing her abilities.
I thought she was still using her powers after she was bit, and even to get the worm/slug out of her leg? Or is the assumption that it slowly took its toll on her?

I'm assuming we're starting off next season with her struggling with her powers. Otherwise it seems like introducing that element is kinda wasted.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of my main problems with season 2 was how it basically just felt like a retread of season 1. Season 3 not only avoids that problem, it also makes season 2 feel better in retrospect by building on material from that season like the Mind Flayer possessing Will and Billy in general.

Also Jesus Christ the gore. I was not expecting Stranger Things to get that visceral. I actually had to stop to throw up during one of the earlier episodes; probably food poisoning, but it coincided with some really nauseating imagery.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed the final montage but the fact that Hopper is so obviously alive kind of takes away from the impact of his letter. Apart from that meta aspect, I thought the season ended pretty damn strong even though I think they should start rotating some characters out of the show entirely.

Also Steve continues to be the best part of the show and his scene with Robin in the bathroom is probably an all time high for quality character moments in the entire series.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Really enjoyed the final montage but the fact that Hopper is so obviously alive kind of takes away from the impact of his letter. Apart from that meta aspect, I thought the season ended pretty damn strong even though I think they should start rotating some characters out of the show entirely.

Also Steve continues to be the best part of the show and his scene with Robin in the bathroom is probably an all time high for quality character moments in the entire series.

The bathroom scene is my favorite scene in the entire show.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I want more upside down back story. I feel like they can do a lot with it.

Heck, trap half the group in it during season 4 finale

Same, it was practically non-existent in this season. Seasons 1 and 2 were far better for me.

The Mind Flayer was just ok as a big glob of bodies taking over the town.

It just felt like the supernatural element and mystery that made the first two seasons so good was practically gone in this season.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Overall I really liked it, but that's with the caveat that it feels like a completely different show from S1/2. The tone and scripting is so different. It feels similar, but still also light years away. It's like if Naughty Dog turned TLOU2 into Uncharted. Both good, but not really the same thing.

Hopper was an enormous fucking ass for a lot of it which was weird because he's supposed to be the sympathetic sacrifice. He didn't even really get one good dad scene the entire season and it felt like a weird retread/setback from his arc in Season 2. I didn't like it.

Overall most characters felt over the top, like caricatures of their past selves. There was no subtlety in the scripting. Everything had to be obvious to the watcher. That combined with the big colorful "80s RULED" sort of vibe and it just felt so over the top.

That said, it was good, especially the finale. Lots of action, great effects, and emotions.

My wife pretty much felt the same way. She also didn't like how the coverup to Robin's sexuality was scripted. The bathroom scene was great, but the "I was obsessed with you" doesn't make much fucking sense considering. It's obtuse and isn't what someone that felt that way would really say. They were just trying to have a big reveal and I think they kinda botched the lead-in.

Robin was an amazing addition to the cast. Erica was too fucking over the top at the beginning, but that's like everyone else in the show. She became fun later. Dustin was the best of the original kids, and Eleven/Max were great together and separately. Glad Millie got to show some big acting chops this season.

Season 4 is going to be hard, though. There's so many characters.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

He coulda jumped into the Upside Down before the opening closed.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario

If not Hopper, best guess is...

Dr. Martin Brenner, Eleven's "father" (Matthew Modine's character). His fate was never certain, and there was mention that he was still alive at one point in season 2.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge step up over the off-key season 3.

Can't believe they made me come around on Billy, though i still don't care much for Maxine.

Erica I absolutely detested at first but she grew on me immensely, Robin was enjoyable throughout.

Hopper was unusually angry though, and went completely over the top with his screaming at times.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sucker for simple, yet effective symbolism/metaphors etc like seeing Billy becoming a monster because mind-flayer vs Billy becoming a monster because dad (and overcoming both). Hit the right note for me.

That and the "keep the door open 3 inches" juxtaposed with the hole and Hopper's own heart and mind etc.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this season, not as good as S1 but definitely had a similar feel. 2 wasn't bad but felt off. "The American" has to be Hopper, especially with the russian terminator calling him that earlier in the episode. Also the classic, we didn't see him die. The other people just exploded and it kinda did that cutaway thing where Hopper was then he was just gone, no blood or anything. Hopper's letter did bring some emotions though.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
So my biggest complaint is Hopper's death. If he really died, why the hell didn't he just walk back to the control room before Joyce turned the keys? The time they spent staring at each other, he could have got back inside. Was he locked outside of there?

If he didn't die, then that dampens the letter which was a really heartfelt moment.

I have a few other nitpicks, but overall I really enjoyed the season. It might be my least favorite though. I was hoping with Will being a more active character, that he could finally get some decent development. Instead, he spent most of the season just touching his neck. Lucas maintains being my favorite with Steve and Dustin following close behind.

Was also a little bummed the group from Chicago didn't return. Maybe the 4th season could use them to help El get her powers back?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The bathroom scene is my favorite scene in the entire show.

Same. Everything about that was just perfect

The only thing I liked about Erica was Dustin exposing her as a nerd

Damn shame, she's awesome. Though at least you liked that.

Giving her the D&D books at the end was pretty touching and cool.

Yea, it was a small but satisfying arc. Even more meaningful given that girls, especially black girls, are normally discouraged from being nerdy. I'mma laugh if next season she's cool enough to get all of her friends into it.

Maybe the 4th season could use them to help El get her powers back?

Pls no

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
So my biggest complaint is Hopper's death. If he really died, why the hell didn't he just walk back to the control room before Joyce turned the keys? The time they spent staring at each other, he could have got back inside. Was he locked outside of there?
He fucked up "the key" / giant super-drill in the fight and there was a bunch of crazy-ass lightning and shit spraying out of it blocking him in. I don't really blame you for not noticing, as the framing and editing didn't make that as clear as it should have imo.

Last edited:

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017

If he didn't die, then that dampens the letter which was a really heartfelt moment.

I have a few other nitpicks, but overall I really enjoyed the season. It might be my least favorite though. I was hoping with Will being a more active character, that he could finally get some decent development. Instead, he spent most of the season just touching his neck. Lucas maintains being my favorite with Steve and Dustin following close behind.

Was also a little bummed the group from Chicago didn't return. Maybe the 4th season could use them to help El get her powers back?
Hmm, I thought it was obvious that he was blocked off. After he tossed the guy into the machine it started emitting all sorts of energy in front of him and it was covering his path back.. So he knew he was stuck there. He's probably in the upside down or escaped and got captured by Russians and somehow he is the prisoner in Russia.

Robin honestly confused me because I swear they were trying to code her as bisexual which would have been awesome and still made the "obsessed with you" line still work -- but I'm getting the impression that she's supposed to be a lesbian which ... makes the line bizarre. It's just very confusing dialogue and I wish there were more bisexual representation imo :(

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Robin honestly confused me because I swear they were trying to code her as bisexual which would have been awesome and still made the "obsessed with you" line still work -- but I'm getting the impression that she's supposed to be a lesbian which ... makes the line bizarre. It's just very confusing dialogue and I wish there were more bisexual representation imo :(

Like she said, she was obsessed with him in terms of jealousy. She kept agonizing over what in the hell her crush saw in Steve, she just couldn't see the appeal.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
He fucked up "the key" / giant super-drill in the fight and there was a bunch of crazy-ass lightning and shit spraying out of it blocking him in. I don't really blame you for not noticing, as the framing and editing didn't make that as clear as it should have imo.

This makes me feel a little better about the scene. Thanks for clearing it up.

Quick question: Were there doppelgangers or not? The first impression I got when Billy was in what looked like the Upside Down and saw himself was that there were doppelgangers replacing the real people. As the show went on in turns out they were just getting infected, so why was there an upside down Billy at all?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck ya'll Erica haters. She was the most entertaining person in the season.

Honestly, the whole Steve, Dustin, Robin, and Erica group was just pure fun and great.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why doesn't Jonathan just like find a roommate and stay in Hawkins for his relationship?

trust me I know it can be hard to find a place to live when you're young and I know he lost his job but it's the 1980s and it's Indiana lol
Because he wants to care for his mom, brother, and with Eleven in the mix I guess he feels they need him more than Nancy does.

He has always been the type to take care of the family. Back in season 1 he took up a part time job just to ease on his family's financial trouble.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah El losing her powers I think is needed to nerf her a bit.

It was getting a bit ridiculous having her show up to mess up monsters in every moment of tension, with like 7 kids standing behind her doing nothing.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
"The American" at the end is The Mayor imo.

Overall, I enjoyed the season as a whole, with the scenes involving Steve/Robin/Dustin/Erica being by far the standouts. Anything involving the rest of the kids grew rather tiresome however.

Tbh I'd take a spin-off show following the former group around during their every day shenanigans.