• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Streamer Valkyrae is facing a backlash after launching a gamer skincare range that's been called a scam.

The popular streamer's RFLCT skincare range launched on the 19th October and is designed to protect users from "blue light pollution", emitted from digital screens.

Streamer Valkyrae is facing a backlash after launching a gamer skincare range that's been called a scam.

The popular streamer's RFLCT skincare range launched on the 19th October and is designed to protect users from "blue light pollution", emitted from digital screens.

Dr. Ludger Kolbe, Chief Scientist Photobiology at The Beiersdorf research team, ran a study which concluded that "the amount of artificial blue light emitted during conventional use of electronic devices is nowhere near enough to trigger harmful skin effects" and that "compared to the emissions of the sun's natural blue light, those of artificial blue light are virtually undetectable."

The RFLCT range includes a Screen Shield Defense Face Moisturiser and a Lip Guard Moisture Balm, and contains the company's "Blue Light Prevention Factor" custom ingredients "to boost your skin's defense against blue light". The BLPF is "packed with vitamins and polyphenols" to combat "cell damage caused by blue light and other free radicals".

It's the skincare collection for everyone who uses a screen," Valkyrae claimed in the RFLCT announcement video. "It's designed to protect your skin from blue light that is emitted from all digital screens."

The wording on the RFLCT website states that blue light "can damage your skin and eyes over time", somewhat downplaying any negative effects.

Further, the terms of service on the product website state the company is not obligated to update inaccuracies in production information. It also states: "We are not responsible if information made available on this site is not accurate, complete or current."

On the day of product launch, Valkyrae shared her excitement on Twitter: "i can't stop crying.. this has been a long journey with my team; testing, samples, meetings, chemists & Claudia Poccia teaching/guiding me through the skincare industry."
www.eurogamer.net

Streamer Valkyrae faces backlash for new gamer skincare range

UPDATE 22/10/21: Valkyrae has now responded on her Twitter with a voice note after a "very very long two days"."I've be…

Does any big twitch or YouTuber have any morals left? Took her 2 years….

The worst thing is all her streamer friends hyping her up in the comments. Way to go scamming your fans.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Scamming fans - give me a break OP. People don't need to buy the shit.

Plenty of streamers chase bullshit, she's trying something new here, cut some slack and don't feed into the attacks.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
She probably believes it. Also, if it still does the other important bits of skincare, I don't see the big deal. The vast majority of skincare products are full of buzzwords. As long as it has an spf rating then its all good in terms of their claims about protecting the skin from light even if the harms of device artificial light is overstated.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Cause if you get too much, you turn blue.
Don't let this happen to you:

rs_600x600-150602170451-600.tobias-arrested-development.jw.6215.jpg

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
She also gave a shout out to Claudia Poccia during the reveal for helping her, who is the president of Avon, a straight up MLM company

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
making a skincare line, for what she or her business partners think is an opportunity. If it is? Great, she makes money. If it's not, the market decides.

but to cast it as some scam is silly.

Why are you shilling for her?

The product literally does nothing and she's getting called out for it. She has a young audience and shouldn't be selling them stupid stuff like this. It's as bad as the Kardashians. Do you shill for them too?

Oct 25, 2017
Bet you could pull up 50 bro streamers doing NFT or gambling site scams in 10 minutes, but some lady puts a marketing angle on some moisturizer and gamers pop a blood vessel

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
making a skincare line, for what she or her business partners think is an opportunity. If it is? Great, she makes money. If it's not, the market decides.

but to cast it as some scam is silly.
Blue light is about as harmless as ghosts and I'm sure people would denounce haunted skin protection as a scam too.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Scamming fans - give me a break OP. People don't need to buy the shit.

Plenty of streamers chase bullshit, she's trying something new here, cut some slack and don't feed into the attacks.
What? it's literal snake oil. What the fuck are you talking about "trying something new here"

Scamming my parasocial tween audience but #girlboss style

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I bet it does help but the skincare industry has it out for GAMERS. I have a whole bunch of gamer gear that helps me stay young and ready to pwn noobs at all times, adding this to my collection.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
another souless grifter. one of many in the entertainment industry. par fir the course.

fir example; blossom, the neuroscientist, sells brain pills.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
The claims seem clearly bullshit, but how is this any different from most of the rest of the skincare and cosmetic industry?

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
At the point someone thinks they may need some "blue light skin protection" I think it may be time to reduce screen time.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if the moisturizer actually moisturizes and the lip balm, uh, balms lips, then I don't get the outrage. IMO the vast majority of products are gimmicky bullshit in that field and yet people want to buy them. I think it's better to buy some fucking gimmicky skin moisturizer that also bundles in your favorite gimmick than donating to people directly.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bet you could pull up 50 bro streamers doing NFT or gambling site scams in 10 minutes, but some lady puts a marketing angle on some moisturizer and gamers pop a blood vessel

Yeah and stuff like the Counter Strike gambling sites were also huge news that resulted in actual legal action being taken against them. And "marketing angle" is a real generous way to describe this.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Faze Clan with the crypto scams, 100Thieves with the MLM ? We mainstream now boys