• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: The cost is only 30FM guys. I was wrong making this thread so hastily. There is no cause for concern here.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
fe653c0eab00d0fa09fc4c0a385666e19f0477b1_full.jpg

My fight money!..

That sounds a bit ridiculous. How expensive is it to play, how long to earn that much?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well, first of all, how much FM?

I'm not really seeing the big deal tbh, especially if the reward is exclusive costumes.

But that's just me.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have the details yet, but the act of making that mode a "pay to play" kind of deal is really gross since it was promised as a free mode to earn more fight money.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts on this really depend on how much fight money they're asking for and if these costumes are available to purchase separately.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I see it as a sort of FM sink. When this is done in other games, it usually means that there will be more ways to earn in game currency in the future. Meaning they need a way to get people to spend FM on other things so FM doesn't lose value. I say wait and see how they do it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sounds like Titanfall 2's arena system -- another mode exclusively getting in by purchasing tickets through the in-game currency you earn.

I get your frustration with this and I'm perfectly capable of showing some sort of empathy but this really, really doesn't sound that offensive to me like at all.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
What a trash game. Remember the whole on-disc DLC fiasco with Street Fighter X Tekken? Capcom's really fallen hard since the Gamecube/PS2 era.

Guilty Gear is where it's at these days anyways so, keep it I guess.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Those rewards better be high.

Well, I get that.

But that's still not what they promised pre-launch. There wasn't supposed to be any sort of payment involved in playing that mode.

Extra Battle was always mentioned to be paid for with Fight Money. From the Press Release:

In Extra Battle Mode, a new series of time exclusive challenges will be available for players to use their Fight Money for the chance to receive an exclusive premium outfit each month. Complete all four challenges each month and receive a special premium costume exclusive to this mode. With extra challenges being added and more unannounced content on the way, Street Fighter V will continue to deliver new and refreshed content on a regular basis throughout 2018 and beyond. More details on the new modes and features, including the new User Interface, will be shared at a later date.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...nnounced_for_PlayStation_4_and_Windows_PC.php

Nothing was promised to you.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Actually reading the press release will take you far. Nothing was ever promised as free and right fro the press release, EX Battle was always advertised as something you would have to buy into, as well as being time limited.

I think you jumped the gun here man.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What a trash game. Remember the whole on-disc DLC fiasco with Street Fighter X Tekken? Capcom's really fallen hard since the Gamecube/PS2 era.

Guilty Gear might just have the ugliest character design across any game in the medium. That combined with the frame rate shit they do is why I can't support Arcsys.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on how much FM you can earn by playing Arcade mode and how much FM you get by playing Extra battle. Its hard to tell how bad or good it is.
These sort of things are done so that FM doesn't become too easy to earn and people stop buying characters/stages.

Also anybody buying AE is gonna get a fukton of FM by finishing prologues and leveling each character.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Well, I get that.

But that's still not what they promised pre-launch. There wasn't supposed to be any sort of payment involved in playing that mode.
It's not what they promised pre-launch, but during SFV's post-launch period, they told us that Extra Battle would not be delivered in that time frame & would appear retooled for a different purpose at a later date. Things & plans changed. And the mode is going to create opportunities for you to earn FM as Ryce showed us.

Considering the reward for the mode is cosmetic DLC, and not just any cosmetic DLC - some of these costumes would fall under 'premium costume' territory & not even be earnable with FM normally - I think its a fair trade. Purchasers of AE are getting ways to get a literal waterfall of FM without ever having to play another human being in the form of trials, demonstrations, survival, arcade mode, story mode, story prologues. Depending on how things go, there can be players who, with a couple of hours worth of effort, can amass enough FM to purchase every S3 character before they ever do an online match.

Also, there still exists a possibility that we can par take in Extra Battle mode without having to use FM; its entirely possible we can only earn the cosmetics if we spend FM for it. This could be a LOT worse: they could've made entry into Extra Battle cost real money, considering the cosmetic DLC this will generate. I'm sure since there is now more things to spend FM on, they'll probably add a way to purchase caches of FM in the store with the launch of AE.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't understand your argument that "It's not what they promised". They never told us what Extra Battle was even going to be. There were no promises made because there was no info. Besides all we know right now is that we'll need to pay fight money specifically for the challenges that earn exclusive premium costumes. Nothing at all is said about the entire mode requiring fight money to play.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should wait for further information. Despite your talk of promises, we haven't actually had a lot of in-depth info about Arcade Edition.

In the end, realize you'll be getting premium costumes, which can only be paid for with real money, out of this mode without actually paying.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Guilty Gear might just have the ugliest character design across any game in the medium. That combined with the frame rate shit they do is why I can't support Arcsys.

:I um, no.

Also i hate the concept of fight money after exhausting all available fight money opportunities the game gave me to get some. I barely have enough for 1 character and i've done literally everything i can do outside of just playing online for countless hours for a pittance

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with Extra Battle isn't that it costs FM (lord knows I have enough of that to go around), it's that the costumes are time limited.

Have a busy month? Tough luck, you're never getting that Donovan costume again. There isn't even an option to pay for it straight up if you know you can't beat the challenges, won't have time to enter, or are low on FM.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Sometimes I wonder in this approaching holiday season when exactly WILL this fatherless movement end.

This is a genre where Killer Instinct and BlazBlue are the most drab and uninspired products to come out of fighting games, character design wise. It works for KI because it's meant to be hodgepodge of horror film tropes and pop culture - not so much BlazBlue who can't decide if the cast are guilty gear runoffs or otherwise.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Also i hate the concept of fight money after exhausting all available fight money opportunities the game gave me to get some. I barely have enough for 1 character and i've done literally everything i can do outside of just playing online for countless hours for a pittance

What? I've bought both character seasons with just fight money. You probably, literally, haven't done much at all.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Like I clicked the Report button but I didn't know what to put other than "has an opinion I disagree with" so

Sometimes I wonder in this approaching holiday season when exactly WILL this fatherless movement end.

This is a genre where Killer Instinct and BlazBlue are the most drab and uninspired products to come out of fighting games, character design wise. It works for KI because it's meant to be hodgepodge of horror film tropes and pop culture - not so much BlazBlue who can't decide if the cast are guilty gear runoffs or otherwise.

Ok after a cursory glance at the roster Baiken, Slayer, and Raven are excellent designs. But that's it. I said what I said.

Mr. L

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue for those out of the loop is that FM in the main game is limited by default. After clearing all the Single Player modes with every character (not counting the Hard and Extreme Survival modes since those are a huge task - 50 battles on hard, 100 on extreme, and the AI is no joke) you get a bit over a million FM. New characters costs 100,000 per character, new stages are 70,000 (and 40,000 for alternate stages) and the Story costumes 40,000 per character. You could say a new character costs about 70,000 since you can get another 30,000 with it from SP content tho. You also get 1,000 when you level up your character but this becomes slower as you play more and more.

For those who didn't buy any of the characters with real money, you don't end up with a lot of FM left by default. The only renewable ways to get FM are weekly missions (8,000 per week), and each victory online lands you 50 FM. Yeah, fifty. I think the cheapest thing is a title for 5000 FM. So you either grind hard online, or you save your FM for Extra Battle.

Those who bought characters with FM are probably really low on it so this news about Extra Battle is painful. I wish Capcom would give us more ways to obtain FM, but instead they think we have a surplus of it to burn! (Well, I guess those who bought the season pass actually do)

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's not what they promised pre-launch
They did. It was an older post in Capcom's blog that they deleted a few months after SFV's release due to delaying the mode so much.

And finally, Extra Battle consists of matches against computer-controlled bosses that provide an extra challenge. Players who beat these bosses will earn special in-game rewards.

Targets and Extra Battle challenges will be available soon after launch

You'll notice that there is zero mention of spending fight money in that post while the "special in-game rewards" (which people assumed would be FM) was always promised as a feature. They are not really adding much to what they promised before. They are just adding a FM payment to it and while that may not be a problem for people who will just buy the AE version, some of us have had the game since launch and has already spent most of those FMs.

Simply put this is not what they advertised.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some bs design right there. Seems like they're wasting a lot of fan goodwill with this chapter, wouldn't be surprised if the next one bombed heavily.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's some bs design right there. Seems like they're wasting a lot of fan goodwill with this chapter, wouldn't be surprised if the next one bombed heavily.
Depending on how much Fight Money you have to pay & how much you earn at the end along with the costume, I honestly don't see the big deal. Also, SFVI is probably 5 years out minimum. I'm not sure it's around time to proclaim doom for the franchise.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how much Fight Money you have to pay & how much you earn at the end along with the costume, I honestly don't see the big deal. Also, SFVI is probably 5 years out minimum. I'm not sure it's around time to proclaim doom for the franchise.

Not saying the franchise is over by all means, just there's been a lot of backlash thanks to a meh launch and many questionable choices. Destiny 2, for example, saw a rather massive drop after failing to deliver on a lot of promises in the first game. With MvC not doing hot either it'd be vital for them to handle this franchise properly which is an easy cashcow, but these decisions can hurt them on the long term. Even if the game mode is cheap, the damage is done as the negative talk is already out.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The issue for those out of the loop is that FM in the main game is limited by default. After clearing all the Single Player modes with every character (not counting the Hard and Extreme Survival modes since those are a huge task - 50 battles on hard, 100 on extreme, and the AI is no joke) you get a bit over a million FM. New characters costs 100,000 per character, new stages are 70,000 (and 40,000 for alternate stages) and the Story costumes 40,000 per character. You could say a new character costs about 70,000 since you can get another 30,000 with it from SP content tho. You also get 1,000 when you level up your character but this becomes slower as you play more and more.

For those who didn't buy any of the characters with real money, you don't end up with a lot of FM left by default. The only renewable ways to get FM are weekly missions (8,000 per week), and each victory online lands you 50 FM. Yeah, fifty. I think the cheapest thing is a title for 5000 FM. So you either grind hard online, or you save your FM for Extra Battle.

Those who bought characters with FM are probably really low on it so this news about Extra Battle is painful. I wish Capcom would give us more ways to obtain FM, but instead they think we have a surplus of it to burn! (Well, I guess those who bought the season pass actually do)

The fact of the matter is the game isn't designed to get everything with FM, I don't think some realize that (not saying you don't). To get every character with FM I had to forego buying any outfits or stages, except for one, cuz I really wanted the Vegas stage. :P But it was a conscious design because it was obvious it wasn't gonna work that way. For S3 I think I'll just get the Season Pass and keep my FM for other stuff.

But yeah that's a good post, the game does in fact give you plenty of avenues to raise fight money. Now more than ever in fact, with weekly targets like you mentioned, an additional season of trials, and even just watching those basic character demonstrations gives you 500FM per.

They did. It was an older post in Capcom's blog that they deleted a few months after SFV's release due to delaying the mode so much.

You'll notice that there is zero mention of spending fight money in that post while the "special in-game rewards" (which people assumed would be FM) was always promised as a feature. They are not really adding much to what they promised before. They are just adding a FM payment to it and while that may not be a problem for people who will just buy the AE version, some of us have had the game since launch and has already spent most of those FMs.

I mean, they advertised nothing, it also doesn't say it wasn't going to cost FM either. Remember SFV was originally supposed to have "Zenny" that allowed you to spend real money within the game itself. That could've very well been the original idea, since this mode disappeared from the picture when the notion of Zenny was removed due to server/security concerns.

Mr. L

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact of the matter is the game isn't designed to get everything with FM, I don't think some realize that (not saying you don't). To get every character with FM I had to forego buying any outfits or stages, except for one, cuz I really wanted the Vegas stage. :P But it was a conscious design because it was obvious it wasn't gonna either way. For S3 I think I'll just get the Season Pass and keep my FM for other stuff.

But yeah that's a good post, the game does in fact give you plenty of avenues to raise fight money. Now more than ever in fact, with weekly targets like you mentioned, an additional season of trials, and even just watching those basic character demonstrations gives you 500FM per.
Certainly not designed to obtain everything with FM, but the issue comes up if someone didn't expect this information about Extra Battle. Once those "easy" ways to obtain FM are completed, you are looking for a very grindy future until you can obtain new content. And before this announcement, there was no reason not to buy those new characters/costumes with FM.

Personally, after I got my copy months after release, I only got that beautiful English Manor stage and story costumes for the three characters I play, and I didn't even finish all the content that can give me FM, so I feel safe about Extra Battle. For new buyers (even if they buy vanilla instead of AE) this will hardly be an issue, but early adopters who used up their FM are going to have a bad time, on top of having paid more for the same content in the end.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

I don't really think there was enough info posted about the mode to say they advertised or promised anything specific. All that was said was "You can play extra vs. CPU matches to win unspecified in-game rewards". No mention of what the rewards were or what the requirements would be.

On top of that, we still don't know if Extra Battle will cost Fight Money for ALL fights, or just for the challenges where you can earn exclusive premium costumes. We also have absolutely no idea how much Fight Money they'll cost. We've been shown already that you can earn Fight Money in Extra Battle mode anyway, so it's not like they're trying to bleed you dry with these challenges.

We should wait for more information about this stuff before freaking out over any of it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I think you forget, that Capcom was always like this. And people complaint about it even back then. Pretty sure with the same arguments "wow they have really fallen since the NES era" etc. It's not even a Capcom thing, but the state of the industry as a whole.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they advertised nothing, it also doesn't say it wasn't going to cost FM either. Remember SFV was originally supposed to have "Zenny" that allowed you to spend real money within the game itself. That could've very well been the original idea, since this mode disappeared from the picture when the notion of Zenny was removed due to server/security concerns.
That's fair.

But it's also fair to say that Extra Battle was introduced as a mode that was supposed to be added with a free update, and the announcement was accompanied by the reveal of other modes that were added for free later on. None of those other modes needed you to spend fight money to play them and it wasn't mentioned that Extra Battle would need a payment of any sorts either. It's not unreasonable to say that almost everyone came to conclusion that Extra Battle wouldn't have a payment system in place, since there was no sign of that.

But speaking more generally, when developers announce something as part of a free update, they don't go around clarifying that each new feature will be free since that is basically how it works. Free update with new features, mean free features. Tabata didn't go around saying that bestiary or new Regina models would be free. He just said that they are coming with a free update an everyone understood him.

Extra Battle was supposed to come with a free update, and they had never hinted at it being a paid mode. So everyone assumed that it would be free.

Oct 25, 2017
You get about 5k fight money per week that can be earned in minutes. Let's wait and see how much a ticket for Extra Battle costs before freaking out.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly not designed to obtain everything with FM, but the issue comes up if someone didn't expect this information about Extra Battle. Once those "easy" ways to obtain FM are completed, you are looking for a very grindy future until you can obtain new content. And before this announcement, there was no reason not to buy those new characters/costumes with FM.
That's true.

Personally I'd save the potential outrage until we get more information. Maybe AE will have more avenues for raising FM, or maybe the fight money for entering EB will make this a non-event. We're also probably getting a new season of trials and demonstration, that's probably gonna be about 120K FM.

Personally, after I got my copy months after release, I only got that beautiful English Manor stage and story costumes for the three characters I play, and I didn't even finish all the content that can give me FM, so I feel safe about Extra Battle. For new buyers (even if they buy vanilla instead of AE) this will hardly be an issue, but early adopters who used up their FM are going to have a bad time, on top of having paid more for the same content in the end.

Well that's just true for most early buyers of pretty much everything, isn't it?

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That's fair.

But it's also fair to say that Extra Battle was introduced as a mode that was supposed to be added with a free update, and the announcement was accompanied by the reveal of other modes that were added for free later on. None of those other modes needed you to spend fight money to play them and it wasn't mentioned that Extra Battle would need a payment (of any sorts either). It's not unreasonable to say that almost everyone came to conclusion that Extra Battle wouldn't have a payment system in place, since there was no sign of that.

But speaking more generally, when developers announce something as a part of a free update, they don't go around clearifyng that each new feature will be free since that is basically how it works. Free update with new features, mean free features. Tabata didn't go around saying that bestiary or new Regina Regina models would be free. He just said that they are coming with a free update an everyone understood him.

Extra Battle was supposed to come with a free update, and they had never hinted at it being a paid mode. So everyone assumed that it would be free.

It is free, and it is a free update. Fight Money is only available through gameplay. Nothing about the mode is paid. I honestly don't think it's reasonable to say that people came to ANY conclusion at all about Extra Battle, considering how quickly both Capcom and The SFV community stopped talking about it. You're basing all of these "Promises" on like a single line of ad copy from before the game even launched. We were given no concrete details then, and nothing has been contradicted.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair.

But it's also fair to say that Extra Battle was introduced as a mode that was supposed to be added with a free update, and the announcement was accompanied by the reveal of other modes that were added for free later on. None of those other modes needed you to spend fight money to play them and it wasn't mentioned that Extra Battle would need a payment of any sorts either. It's not unreasonable to say that almost everyone came to conclusion that Extra Battle wouldn't have a payment system in place, since there was no sign of that.

But speaking more generally, when developers announce something as part of a free update, they don't go around clarifying that each new feature will be free since that is basically how it works. Free update with new features, mean free features. Tabata didn't go around saying that bestiary or new Regina models would be free. He just said that they are coming with a free update an everyone understood him.

I didn't reach any conclusions because frankly we barely had any information. I had honestly forgotten about that picture with the Shadaloo soldiers lol.

And it is free. You should probably stop equating fight money with real money. I know it's the basis of the thread, but I cannot share that notion myself.

Deleted member 2945

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not quite with you on that mate. As long as they detail exactly what's in AE and you know beforehand, complaining that you were promised stuff seems a bit risible.

Mr. L

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd save the potential outrage until we get more information. Maybe AE will have more avenues for raising FM, or maybe the fight money for entering EB will make this a non-event. We're also probably getting a new season of trials and demonstration, that's probably gonna be about 120K FM.
Surely, and I hope you are right. But I feel it's a valid concern and awareness should be raised.
Well that's just true for most early buyers of pretty much everything, isn't it?
Well yeah, and they never learn, but it still brings a wave of complains from the diehard fans every time, it would be a mistake not to mention it :D