• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about it either way. Now you pay FM to get in. Then you can earn FM inside. But, can't they make the bosses cheat super easily? They're the 'house', house always wins...

I enjoy the game, though, for the record. Gonna build a new stick and come back to it with AE.
Yeah, they have the power to make it unreasonably difficult, but after all the shit they've taken for survival mode, the smarter solution would be to tune it so that most people can beat it and make the payouts worth your time but not particularly high.

If they play their cards right (read: deviously), they'll get players to play it not just for FM rewards, but for that good feeling of winning a gamble that is the real hook. Then they can put in tougher challenges with higher entry costs and bigger payouts. Ease people into the thrill of gambling.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Considering that we're getting 6 Arcade Modes per character, I'd say that they're getting pretty generous with their Fight Money (assuming that there's a decent pay-out for beating each Arcade Mode with each character). Hopefully Capcom allows us to earn Fight Money by watching CPT streams like they did late last year & early this year.

A twitch drops campaign to either launch with the new season of CPT or the launch of AE would be great. People could get random amounts of FM, color pallete unlocks or exclusive colors ( would be nice if the world can get those ex colors that way), exclusive titles for events or just the twitch campaign, rarer stuff like full-blown costume/stage unlocks.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
another day, another thread to crap on sfv even if it's just speculation

this thread is especially unwarranted if that 30fm cost is real (for comparison, it costs 100k fm to buy a single character)

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I didn't know about the 30FM thing. If that turns out to be true in the final game and most of the challenges cost relatively the same, then I'll gladly eat crow. I'll even apologize for making this thread in the first place.

But y'all are acting like I wouldn't have gotten laugh out of a thread, if I had said that Extra Battle would be locked behind a FM payment when they first announced it back in February 2016. Yeah, we didn't have all the nitty gritty details but what we did have was a free mode that (just like Trials and Cinematic Story Mode) didn't hinted at being locked behind a paywall at all.

But like I said, I didn't know about the 30FM thing and if those are the kind of FMs that we have to gamble to do the challenges (and I really hope that's the case), then this is hardly worth being frustrated about.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I'm not ready to assume that. I mean, they have to pay something and give XP, but I doubt we'll see payoffs proportional to what you get for 2 minutes of playing a character story. They probably felt pressure to pay out a lot to compensate for the pathetic nature of the content. That's much less a concern now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you mostly get a ton of FM because doing a Character Story with an unused character gains you something like 8 levels. I'm sure there's a general bonus for clearing Arcade but if you're level 50 with Ryu I don't expect beating Arcade will give you a ton of FM.

And regarding Extra Battle, 30 FM is almost nothing. At least there's something you can spend FM on that's not in the 1000s. Everything else is priced fairly high.

I'm not sure if there will be variance in the FM prices but Extra Battle, I believe, gives out one outfit a month if you complete the 4 challenges. So one 30FM challenge a week that pays out more FM if you win. Do all 4 get a costume.

More than anything it gets people to check in more often. More often you play, more likely you'll see new premium costumes in the store, more likely you'll spend actual cash.

Oct 25, 2017
Prepare yourself for some of the challenges to be more expensive. Especially the ones that award costumes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you mostly get a ton of FM because doing a Character Story with an unused character gains you something like 8 levels. I'm sure there's a general bonus for clearing Arcade but if you're level 50 with Ryu I don't expect beating Arcade will give you a ton of FM.

And regarding Extra Battle, 30 FM is almost nothing. At least there's something you can spend FM on that's not in the 1000s. Everything else is priced fairly high.

I'm not sure if there will be variance in the FM prices but Extra Battle, I believe, gives out one outfit a month if you complete the 4 challenges. So one 30FM challenge a week that pays out more FM if you win. Do all 4 get a costume.

More than anything it gets people to check in more often. More often you play, more likely you'll see new premium costumes in the store, more likely you'll spend actual cash.
You have more information about the Extra Battle feature than I do. It's my fault for never looking at a primary source and just going off of what I picked up in discussions. If that's really how it works, it's hard to see how anyone could complain.

Also, yeah you're right that Character Story pays out largely because you gain a lot of levels. Good point.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I didn't know about the 30FM thing. If that turns out to be true in the final game and most of the challenges cost relatively the same, then I'll gladly eat crow. I'll even apologize for making this thread in the first place.

But y'all are acting like I wouldn't have gotten laugh out of a thread, if I had said that Extra Battle would be locked behind a FM payment when they first announced it back in February 2016. Yeah, we didn't have all the nitty gritty details but what we did have was a free mode that (just like Trials and Cinematic Story Mode) didn't hinted at being locked behind a paywall at all.

But like I said, I didn't know about the 30FM thing and if those are the kind of FMs that we have to gamble to do the challenges (and I really hope that's the case), then this is hardly worth being frustrated about.

Why do you keep talking about FM as if it was real money. "Payments", "paywall", pls.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you keep talking about FM as if it was real money. "Payments", "paywall", pls.
It is within the context of this thread as the title clearly states that we are talking about Fight Money here.

It's just easier to use words like "payment" and "paywall" instead of repeatedly saying "pay a certain amount of Fight Money to able to do these challenges."

I'm not trying to say that Extra Battle asks you for real money or anything like that.

Oct 25, 2017
the problem is in the actual game 5k is literally nothing. to care about 5k to buy anything, you'd have to beat all challenges every week for a year. And the online amount you get doesnt even matter
Yeah but what I'm saying is entry to Extra Battle could be very cheap, we don't know yet.

edit: Or apparently we do know. Extra battle could be as cheap as 30FM, which is peanuts when you're basically getting 5k free every week.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really going to have to wait and see how this works to form a solid opinion. I'm a little skeptical about risking FM, but if it's really that small of an amount, that's not bad, but it also depends on how they stack the difficulty.

I never expected them to give all of these costumes for free, especially considering how popular I expect them to be. They want you to spend your FM so eventually you deplete it and start spending real money, so they need to dump a lot of content for that to happen. It doesn't bother me that you're burning FM on these, but if it ends up being any significant amount to the point you're risking losing big chunks of FM, I'd rather it be a higher amount of entry, but very easy to earn the costume.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I'm really going to have to wait and see how this works to form a solid opinion. I'm a little skeptical about risking FM, but if it's really that small of an amount, that's not bad, but it also depends on how they stack the difficulty.

I never expected them to give all of these costumes for free, especially considering how popular I expect them to be. They want you to spend your FM so eventually you deplete it and start spending real money, so they need to dump a lot of content for that to happen. It doesn't bother me that you're burning FM on these, but if it ends up being any significant amount to the point you're risking losing big chunks of FM, I'd rather it be a higher amount of entry, but very easy to earn the costume.

This is all wild guessing but I don't imagine it'll be too difficult. My impression is that Extra Battle (terrible name, btw) will be one-on-one fights against buffed enemies. The hardest single player stuff in SFV is how lucky you have to be to beat 50/100 opponents in a row without losing once.

30FM might be a fee you pay for each try. In that case you could stand to lose big FM if the fight is against an SNK-style boss.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
What a trash game. Remember the whole on-disc DLC fiasco with Street Fighter X Tekken? Capcom's really fallen hard since the Gamecube/PS2 era.

Guilty Gear is where it's at these days anyways so, keep it I guess.
The on-disc DLC stuff was pretty overblown, hardly any fiasco, in my opinion. No one would have cared if they just released it as a patch a month later. Nintendo have also done a lot of on-disc DLC with Amiibo, its not much of a fiasco.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
The on-disc DLC stuff was pretty overblown, hardly any fiasco, in my opinion. No one would have cared if they just released it as a patch a month later. Nintendo have also done a lot of on-disc DLC with Amiibo, its not much of a fiasco.

Yeah, that fiasco was crazy. If anything, the attention should have been paid to how 5 of the 12 characters were ripped from SF4 (like nearly have the cast). At that point you can argue that you shouldn't have to pay that much for "recycled" characters but, then again, you were getting 12 characters for $20. That's a hell of a deal.

The only irritating thing about the on-disc DLC is they made everyone wait until the Vita SFxT port launched before the rest you could purchase the DLC for 360/PS3.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah to go along with this any multiplayer game that has DLC cosmetics has you download the cosmetics to your HDD (even if you didn't buy them yourself) so you can view them on other players. This is exactly the same.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some bs design right there. Seems like they're wasting a lot of fan goodwill with this chapter, wouldn't be surprised if the next one bombed heavily.

Not like SFV set the charts on fire. I think the low count roster, lack of certain favs and ridiculous dlc prices have already turned people away. The FM system sucks.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not like SFV set the charts on fire. I think the low count roster, lack of certain favs and ridiculous dlc prices have already turned people away. The FM system sucks.
New numbered SF games usually start out with smaller rosters, so I don't really see the problem. You can't make everyone happy early on, especially when making each character from scratch. Even if you swapped out F.A.N.G. & Necalli for Alex & Urien on Day 1, you'd get complains about there being too few newcomers & Capcom relying too much on nostalgia (the latter being kinda true).

There's tons of other more pressing concerns with SFV (inconsistent netcode, lack of defensive options, etc.), but the ones you mentioned are kinda overblown given past SF games. And FM is easier to get now than before (not counting the occasional free FM giveaways).

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that fiasco was crazy. If anything, the attention should have been paid to how 5 of the 12 characters were ripped from SF4 (like nearly have the cast). At that point you can argue that you shouldn't have to pay that much for "recycled" characters but, then again, you were getting 12 characters for $20. That's a hell of a deal.

The only irritating thing about the on-disc DLC is they made everyone wait until the Vita SFxT port launched before the rest you could purchase the DLC for 360/PS3.
Yeah, that was a pretty good deal for such many characters. And since it was Street Fighter VS Tekken, i think its fair enough to include characters from SF4. It was mainly a Street Fighter game, so i'm not sure if they really could have done that much differently in the design. Both games are also of the same era with the same graphics/horsepower in that regards.

Yeah to go along with this any multiplayer game that has DLC cosmetics has you download the cosmetics to your HDD (even if you didn't buy them yourself) so you can view them on other players. This is exactly the same.
Yeah, i guess that is why they went with this route, would save people bandwith from downloading the patch (i'm not sure how big it would be, but still, the result would be the same if people downloaded it a bit later on or it being on the disc).

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New numbered SF games usually start out with smaller rosters, so I don't really see the problem. You can't make everyone happy early on, especially when making each character from scratch. Even if you swapped out F.A.N.G. & Necalli for Alex & Urien on Day 1, you'd get complains about there being too few newcomers & Capcom relying too much on nostalgia (the latter being kinda true).

There's tons of other more pressing concerns with SFV (inconsistent netcode, lack of defensive options, etc.), but the ones you mentioned are kinda overblown given past SF games. And FM is easier to get now than before (not counting the occasional free FM giveaways).

Lack of defensive options isn't what makes a game sell or not, not even good netcode does that, look at NRS games. Content and value does, and SFV is bad at both.

SFIV had 25 characters at console launch (which is where nearly everyone played it first because arcades are dead for most people). Dropping down to 16 is poor and compared to other big fighters pretty low, Injustice 2 had near 30 at launch. MKX I think 25.

To unlock stuff is a grind, playing characters and modes you might hate, it not free because it's your time, and my time has value and you if you don't enjoy it then it's work, not a game.

I think the DLC for like 4 characters eclipses the cost of every SFIV update and costume DLC combined. That's ridiculous. And please don't say I'm not supposed to buy every bit of dlc, because I could in SFIV series, if I can't in SFV then that's bad design, creating content not meant to be used.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like Guilty Gear, but shitting on the SFV business model while praising Guilty Gear seems pretty ironic to me lol

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind you having to use FM.
Once they balance good it should be no problem .
Is if they fuck up thing going to be stupid.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Lack of defensive options isn't what makes a game sell or not, not even good netcode does that, look at NRS games. Content and value does, and SFV is bad at both.

SFIV had 25 characters at console launch (which is where nearly everyone played it first because arcades are dead for most people). Dropping down to 16 is poor and compared to other big fighters pretty low, Injustice 2 had near 30 at launch. MKX I think 25.

To unlock stuff is a grind, playing characters and modes you might hate, it not free because it's your time, and my time has value and you if you don't enjoy it then it's work, not a game.

I think the DLC for like 4 characters eclipses the cost of every SFIV update and costume DLC combined. That's ridiculous. And please don't say I'm not supposed to buy every bit of dlc, because I could in SFIV series, if I can't in SFV then that's bad design, creating content not meant to be used.
And there in lies the problem, SFV didn't go to arcades first. As such, console players don't see the benefit of waiting like what happened with SFIV or the Tekken games. SFIV started out with 16 characters when it hit arcades (I.E. the first iteration), with 3 more being bosses when the arcade version first dropped. This is what SFV was given at launch due to, as mentioned already, the lack of an initial arcade version. You also have to consider that both Injustice 2 & Mortal Kombat X had assets from previous entries (namely I1 & MK9 respectively) to draw upon for the veterans, something that Capcom avoids for new numbered SF games due to them starting from zero.

As for the Fight Money, I log in at least once or twice a week, I buy every stage, and I have more than enough for at least a character & a bunch of stages (and this is after I blew a good chunk of FM on costumes & colors early on). While yes, more Fight Money options would be nice, the whole situation is overblown (at least in my opinion).

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, the attention should have been paid to how 5 of the 12 characters were ripped from SF4 (like nearly have the cast).
They weren't ripped though. Their models, animations and move sets are all completely different. Yes, even Ryu and even Ken, who's seen his biggest changes in decades.

It's a bit disingenuous to act like they just copy and pasted half the game. At a shallow level yes they're were in the last one as well but they still would have needed a lot of work.
I like Guilty Gear, but shitting on the SFV business model while praising Guilty Gear seems pretty ironic to me lol
20$ an 8 character seaason is a total rip off compared to the superior guilty gear, where you pay like 10 per character don'tcha know. Lol

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And there in lies the problem, SFV didn't go to arcades first. As such, console players don't see the benefit of waiting like what happened with SFIV or the Tekken games. SFIV started out with 16 characters when it hit arcades (I.E. the first iteration), with 3 more being bosses when the arcade version first dropped. This is what SFV was given at launch due to, as mentioned already, the lack of an initial arcade version. You also have to consider that both Injustice 2 & Mortal Kombat X had assets from previous entries (namely I1 & MK9 respectively) to draw upon for the veterans, something that Capcom avoids for new numbered SF games due to them starting from zero.

As for the Fight Money, I log in at least once or twice a week, I buy every stage, and I have more than enough for at least a character & a bunch of stages (and this is after I blew a good chunk of FM on costumes & colors early on). While yes, more Fight Money options would be nice, the whole situation is overblown (at least in my opinion).

People dont care a for the excuses,, they see other games (including Capcoms) offering more so see SFV as bad value. Besides Capcom didn't care about recycling MvC3, SFIV or SFxT, or a million fighters in the past. Don't buy the starting from zero, it proven false countless times.

If FM system was good why have only 0.9% of players reached 1 million FM? That on PS4, I'm sure PC is higher with all the cheating it that went on. The game nearing 2 years old, clearly it not a popular system, 99.1% cannot even afford all the characters, nevermind stages, story costumes, alt stages, colours locked behind hard/extreme survival etc etc.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People dont care a for the excuses,, they see other games (including Capcoms) offering more so see SFV as bad value. Besides Capcom didn't care about recycling MvC3, SFIV or SFxT, or a million fighters in the past. Don't buy the starting from zero, it proven false countless times.

If FM system was good why have only 0.9% of players reached 1 million FM? That on PS4, I'm sure PC is higher with all the cheating it that went on. The game nearing 2 years old, clearly it not a popular system, 99.1% cannot even afford all the characters, nevermind stages, story costumes, alt stages, colours locked behind hard/extreme survival etc etc.
You're completely missing the point. They reused assets for MvCI & SFxT, yes. But not once did a new numbered SF game ever reuse assets from the previous numbered game (II to Alpha, Alpha to III, III to IV, IV to V). They also didn't reuse assets for MvC3.

Also, someone should probably port over that 1 million FM thread from GAF,

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This game has one of the most diverse cast in the entire series. Most faves are there. More are coming. The DLC costume prices could be lower but isn't really any different than what the competitors are doing. FM system sucks? This is why gamers can never have good things, especially when they look at a gift horse in the mouth. This is probably the first fighter to have a system where you can buy characters for free if you want to, that's a major plus in my book.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
They weren't ripped though. Their models, animations and move sets are all completely different. Yes, even Ryu and even Ken, who's seen his biggest changes in decades.

It's a bit disingenuous to act like they just copy and pasted half the game. At a shallow level yes they're were in the last one as well but they still would have needed a lot of work.
20$ an 8 character seaason is a total rip off compared to the superior guilty gear, where you pay like 10 per character don'tcha know. Lol

I started posting on GAF strictly to argue with people that hated on SFxT for spurious, stupid reasons. I'm not really giving the game shit because of reusing assets. I wish MvCI took the SFxT approach where they offered a giant roster that was half stuff from UMvC3 and half all-new.

Having said that, they didn't rebuild the characters from scratch nor were they copy-paste jobs. But they were the same models with mostly the same animations with a gaudy, burnt neon filter slapped on top that made the already aged SF4 models looks 10x worse. Yeah, the characters play very differently in SFxT and every character got something new but it was still SF4 content that was heavily repurposed. And that's not a bad thing at all! Even CvS1 gave up making new sprites for classic Street Fighter characters and started ripping sprites from Alpha.

Which is exactly why I posted the above comment. It easily has the worst business model out there.

Yeah, I cut ASW some slack because GG and BB are niche franchises in a niche genre but their business model is horrendous. SFV, in my opinion, has the best business model for fighting games that has executed somewhat poorly. GGXrd, on the other hand, only just recently adopted the USF4 business model where you didn't have to buy an entirely new game to get a few new characters and a balance patch. ASW is the company who will sell DLC and then sell a new version of the game a year later with the DLC packed in for free. And, unlike SFV AE or any "Complete" compilation, you have to buy that new version if you want to play the latest balance update and with 90% of the player base.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This game has one of the most diverse cast in the entire series. Most faves are there. More are coming. The DLC costume prices could be lower but isn't really any different than what the competitors are doing. FM system sucks? This is why gamers can never have good things, especially when they look at a gift horse in the mouth. This is probably the first fighter to have a system where you can buy characters for free if you want to, that's a major plus in my book.
The roster is pretty diverse, but I wouldn't say that it's the most diverse in the series.....yet. USFIV still holds that crown, but it had 5 years worth of upgrade & DLC to get to that point.

As for the Fight Money, there are a few changes I would personally make (Either give more FM for each win or give some FM for each loss, more Double FM Weekends, bring back the ability to earn FM by watching CPT streams, etc.). But to say that it's impossible to earn anything with FM, especially when you can easily earn an entire season's worth of characters with just FM alone, is a bit entitled (more so if you're jumping in with AE, where you can probably earn enough FM for Seasons 3-5).

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where on earth did you get these statistics from? I don't think anyone has this database apart from Capcom. If you don't like the FM system that's obviously your prerogative but to say the system is bad, considering when I've bought a lot of stages and some characters via this method, is just absurd.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Where on earth did you get these statistics from? I don't think anyone has this database apart from Capcom. If you don't like the FM system that's obviously your prerogative but to say the system is bad, considering when I've bought a lot of stages and some characters via this method, is just absurd.
He's referring to the 1 million FM trophy on PSN.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Are PSN trophies a good indication of anything? A good chunk of people don't even beat video games going by that.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for the Fight Money, there are a few changes I would personally make (Either give more FM for each win or give some FM for each loss, more Double FM Weekends, bring back the ability to earn FM by watching CPT streams, etc.). But to say that it's impossible to earn anything with FM, especially when you can easily earn an entire season's worth of characters with just FM alone, is a bit entitled (more so if you're jumping in with AE, where you can probably earn enough FM for Seasons 3-5).

I agree. I've mentioned this before, although I like the FM system, they should definitely increase the fight money you can get on ranked, casual and perhaps even obtain it in the upcoming arcade mode.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
I know people who have persisted entirely on FM & own every character and quite a few of the stages. They clear survival mode with every character that launches & puts in work to get each character to lvl 20 for the FM rewards + its fairly easy to do online.

I know people want to shit on FM. Its certainly not been great when it was first introduced. But like almost everything else with this game, they've continued to iterate on the FM economy, introduce more ways to get it, and have just given out FM at times. SFV is the only fighting game with a reasonable & viable way to earn the most important & expensive parts of its post-DLC completely by earning it without having to spend a dollar. No other fighting game does this. There isn't even a fighting game on the market or upcoming thats even trying.

Couple of things - they never said Extra Battle wouldn't or would be implemented the way we currently know it. We don't know anything about Extra Battle as it was in Feb 2016. People have already pointed this out to you. They told us pretty early on in SFV's life that Extra Battle would not be coming, and it still qualifies as a free update since you don't have to pay to get it. All we had to go on it was 2 sentences and no detail on what we'd get from it or what sorts of NPCs we'd be facing.

Now, my next point: you keep saying that Extra Battle participation is locked behind a paywall. A paywall would mean I can purchase a way into the mode with actual money. However, that isn't the case here - as of right now, and we don't have confirmation one way or the other whether this will change come AE launch, but there is no way to purchase Fight Money with real money, so calling it 'a paywall' is completely invalid, as there is no way to pay for it with real money.

MuzikFreq

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to wonder why I came back to sfv... I guess mechanics and character designs... Fight money is hurting me though

Oct 25, 2017
For me it really depends on what the cost of entry is, what the rewards are and how BS the fights can get. Are they one time only? Is there a limit to how many times you can play it? Not enough details out to form an opinion, but right now I'm not too concerned seeing as brand new costumes are part of the rewards and that one screenshot showed a 30fm entry fee.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Y'all are legit complaining about absolutely free premium costumes.

If nothing else, SFV is simply a game that people really want to hate. Potentially free premium costumes and a currency system that lets you earn post-launch DLC for free in an industry dominated by loot boxes & predatory skinner boxes. And we'll still have multi-page threads about the next game that dares put loot boxes in their title.

And we'll all sit here sitewide & wonder why we are festering in the current loot box hell we find ourselves in.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I wish they give you like 25 fm even if you lose. Just for participation reward or something.

Unfortunately, that will just cause people to create macros and exploit the hell out of the game. The main thing Capcom should continue to do is to offer as many different ways as possible for players to get FM, and some of those being repeatable and not time gated like the weekly challenges are.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Guilty Gear is the shit but you don't see me running around shitposting BB and MK threads about it.

I really wish moving to this forum would have toned down that kind of business. Thought people might be more chill about SFV. It seemed that way for a short while.

Content and value does, and SFV is bad at both.

There's plenty of content in SFV now, and will have even more with the Arcade Edition. I think it offers great value. I have 28 characters at my disposal, I only paid for the game once, haven't spent a nickel on paid DLC.

SFIV had 25 characters at console launch (which is where nearly everyone played it first because arcades are dead for most people).
SF4 was out in arcades for nearly a year before coming out on console, and when it launched it did it with a small roster as well. It's not actually comparable.

Dropping down to 16 is poor and compared to other big fighters pretty low, Injustice 2 had near 30 at launch. MKX I think 25.
NRS has resources Capcom couldn't even dream of at the moment.

And it must be said, that although SFV's roster is smaller, every single characters animates considerably better than anything in either NRS game. I'll take me some quality over quantity in this regard.

Getting most of the available FM is rather easy unless you actually hate playing the game, in which why did you even buy the game.

You know what's the difference with SF4 DLC? I think you do, right? The ability to get those characters without paying a dime in SFV. Which I have. Both seasons. Gratis. Didn't really take much effort. I just played the thing. I'll take SFV's model every time over the regular FG model, where you actually do not have any options. BTW is your next stop at the DBFZ threads? According to the price set by their season pass each character costs MORE than buying an individual in SFV. Happy trails there.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
If nothing else, SFV is simply a game that people really want to hate. Potentially free premium costumes and a currency system that lets you earn post-launch DLC for free in an industry dominated by loot boxes & predatory skinner boxes. And we'll still have multi-page threads about the next game that dares put loot boxes in their title.

And we'll all sit here sitewide & wonder why we are festering in the current loot box hell we find ourselves in.

It's crazy. You can't purchase FM with real money. So paying with Fight Money is not paying at all. On top of that, SFV doesn't randomize any loot, so any real money you pay you get exactly what you want, not a chance to get what you want. It's legit one of the best cosmetic DLC systems we got in a game this generation, but the memes is too strong.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying the FM system couldn't be improved on, but it's baffling to me that so many people believe that it's a negative aspect of the game. It's like they hate the very idea of FM, as if these characters would be completely free and in the base roster if it didn't exist. I can't think of any fighting game, current and upcoming ones, that have an option to get post launch DLC characters for free.

As far as I'm concerned, even if it cost 1 million FM just to unlock a single character, it would STILL be a better model than other games. Because at least you actually have an option.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Getting most of the available FM is rather easy unless you actually hate playing the game, in which why did you even buy the game.

To be fair, a huge chunk of money comes from survival mode, and even if you love the game, it's easy to hate that mode.

I'd go back to SF4's model in a heartbeat based on my buying habits, or even if I toned down the amount of DLC I normally buy. The large amount of time I've spent playing modes I don't care for has more than offset any savings on content the FM model has netted me.