valuv

Oct 25, 2017

Juri was just so sexual. She was not only attracted to both men and women, she had to tell everybody about it, against their consent. She had a seemingly uncontrollable sex drive that was depicted as tied to her love of inflicting pain on others. She wore a tiny handkerchief over her boobs without a bra underneath—just like a bisexual, right? It made me feel disgusted, not with Juri, but with myself.

As someone who plays Street Fighter a lot, and acknowledges that the character designs definitely have problems I gotta be honest that this wasn't an effect I'd thought about. Has anyone else felt similar issues from the game? I find the impact of something so seemingly minor to being life-altering to be really interesting.

Aine

May 27, 2019
The "depraved bisexual" is an age-old stereotype in fiction, and one that a lot of works continue to struggle with. Even worse that people continue to lean in on this in real life and chase after bi people (bi women especially) for threesomes and stuff.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves, and mains Juri, I never really gave thought about how she came off. She's basically one of the few canonical bisexual characters in a fighting game but yeah, that article gave me a lot of food for thought. It's scary sometimes how little we think of others, and how they perceive the things we find "fun", without realizing how it can affect another like this young lady.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I never viewed Juri in this manner but I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I always saw her as just a new baddie for the franchise but never thought about her sexuality in such a way. The twisted femme fatale is a trope in a lot of media.

Last edited:

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Juri is my favorite street fighter character and I've never thought about her sexuality before this , just thought she was a sadist. I wonder what other game characters are like that but most ppl don't even realize

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this is a common trope applied to bisexual people - frequently within the queer community itself, funnily enough. I don't particularly see Juri as bi-coded though.

I think the trope that weirds me out more is the blank-slate bi character characteristic of Bioware games.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Wait, did she really flirted with everyone in SF4 and 5? I need to recheck victory and intro quotes because I don't remember that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As much as some characters in Street Fighter are starting to move away from the stereotypes that inspired their existence in the first place, more can certainly be done to set these characters apart from them in a way that'll make the game more welcoming to people from all walks of life. Ready Maddy's account of how Juri's portrayal negatively impacted her only cemented that thought. I'm glad that she was able to overcome it, but Capcom needs to take this into serious consideration going into Street Fighter VI (especially since they're positioning Street Fighter as a major esport).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
And one of her concept designs was a no nonsense taekwondo fighter wearing actual taekwondo gear. Sigh. There's just not enough waifu potential in such a design, I guess.

Pompadour

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I do remember when SSF4 wasn't out yet the Japanese website had one of her likes as "big boobs". Now I don't know if that makes her gay or bi but that did exist before it eventually got scrubbed away.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ryu and Ken flirting? Really? I had never got that at all. That seems like the author might be in another reality.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I do remember when SSF4 wasn't out yet the Japanese website had one of her likes as "big boobs". Now I don't know if that makes her gay or bi but that did exist before it eventually got scrubbed away.

Capcom has been super weird about Juri, where it was all but outright stated that she was bi early on and then it got hastily buried into wink-nudge subtext.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Ryu and Ken flirting? Really? I had never got that at all. That seems like the author might be in another reality.

I mean, the bromance between Ryu and Ken is WELL documented.

But she says in the article that it's likely platonic, and I'd add that the difference between romantic and platonic love can often be hard to parse in Japanese media, especially in young fiction (see Kingdom Hearts).

Jun 22, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary and Concern Trolling over LGBTQ+ Representation; Account in Junior Phase
Unpopular opinion: this is a bit overdramatic.

The devs made a good faith effort, but this isn't Transparent, it's a karate game.

God forbid STREET FIGHTER, a video game built on questionable stereotypes, fail to live up to one person's deeply personal sexual ideologies.

The world largely recognizes its sins of the past and is trying to make progress.

Not sure nitpicking every attempt to be inclusive is the right approach.

If a single cartoonish karate game keeps someone in the closet, they could probably stand to expand and diversy what they're taking influence from.

No one's ever going to be perfect, but I admire the games that try.

Particularly when the alternative is to be so afraid of articles like this that you don't even make the attempt in the first place.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
And one of her concept designs was a no nonsense taekwondo fighter wearing actual taekwondo gear. Sigh. There's just not enough waifu potential in such a design, I guess.
Yeah, I absolutely despise Juri as she currently exists and roll my eyes and lament at her popularity over being such pandery trash. That concept you're referring to was so damn good.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Street Fighter is my favorite fighting series and has been since 1991. That said, I'd be lying if I said Street Fighter is the most socially sensitive game ever made.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the bromance between Ryu and Ken is WELL documented.

But she says in the article that it's likely platonic, and I'd add that the difference between romantic and platonic love can often be hard to parse in Japanese media, especially in young fiction (see Kingdom Hearts).
Or sometimes people just really like to project. (strictly speaking about the Ken-Ryu thing here, and not the rest of the article)

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I think there's no question that Juri's design can have an unwanted negative affect on other people. There's nothing invalid about the writer's opinion, and I feel bad that they feel that way.

The question then becomes: assuming that other people enjoy this character archetype, does it become necessary to stop leaning on titilating designs like Juri's in order to reduce discomfort among people like the writer? Is it past the line where people can confidently declare that the harm outweighs the enjoyment? I'm not really attached to Juri, as a character, but I think there's probably a good number of fans who enjoy her sexual nature.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Honestly was expecting the thread to be about Poison. I remember them being on both the "Men" and "Women" of Capcom promo pics in the same year as some corny joke

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Juri was just so sexual. She was not only attracted to both men and women, she had to tell everybody about it, against their consent. She had a seemingly uncontrollable sex drive that was depicted as tied to her love of inflicting pain on others. She wore a tiny handkerchief over her boobs without a bra underneath—just like a bisexual, right? It made me feel disgusted, not with Juri, but with myself.

That "handkerchief" is a dudou or yếm (as Juri is Korean), a piece of traditional underwear.

Aug 29, 2018
The "depraved bisexual" is an age-old stereotype in fiction, and one that a lot of works continue to struggle with. Even worse that people continue to lean in on this in real life and chase after bi people (bi women especially) for threesomes and stuff.
bro I've been trying to explain to my friend that bisexual does not mean those women are down for a fuckin threesome and he just he's definitely gonna get punched -_-

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I wasn't paying attention to her sexuality and never thought about her being bi. I just assumed she had a masochistic personality of being excited while beating people up. As others stated, I was expecting this to be about Poison.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Unpopular opinion: this is a bit overdramatic.

The devs made a good faith effort, but this isn't Transparent, it's a karate game.

God forbid STREET FIGHTER, a video game built on questionable stereotypes, fail to live up to one person's deeply personal sexual ideologies.

The world largely recognizes its sins of the past and is trying to make progress.

Not sure nitpicking every attempt to be inclusive is the right approach.

If a single cartoonish karate game keeps someone in the closet, they could probably stand to expand and diversy what they're taking influence from.

No one's ever going to be perfect, but I admire the games that try.

Particularly when the alternative is to be so afraid of articles like this that you don't even make the attempt in the first place.
You are giving way too much credit to people (let alone fucking gamers) if you think they're "largely recognizing" past mistakes.

And secondly, if people are going to try, they have to actually fucking try. Capcom, and many devs, aren't. This is them leaning into some shit rather than having a conversation with anyone who it might affect. They don't get a gold star for not doing their homework.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

queer readings of media are a thing, and for good reason. in this case, the tutorial is much more fun after picking up on the various innuendos, finding spaces where SFV is conducive to that sort of reading helps to mitigate the less fun stuff, and these are less-than-fleshed-out characters that beg for a good imagination to fill in the blanks

also, the author concedes Capcom probably didn't intend for Ken and Ryu to be read as flirting:

I don't think Capcom intends for Ryu and Ken to come across as lovers in this tutorial. If anything, the sexual tinge to the writing indicates the extent to which Capcom doesn't think anyone would assume this. This scene doesn't read as queer-baiting or homophobic mockery as much as a Tobias Fünke-esque series of unintended but undeniably homoerotic innuendos.

I don't want Ken and Ryu to flirt by accident. I want them to do it on purpose. But since they won't, I'll have to settle for the mistaken date the tutorial offers. I admit, it's nice to see them happy for once.

overall, it has to be said that your dismissive "lol what reality are you living in" remark represents a failure of understanding across the board

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I like juri's personality because it supposed to contrast Chun li's. They both had family that was killed by bison and whereas Chun li in turn fought crime, juri contributed to it. I never thought of juri's flirting as even being genuine, more that she's playing mind games with whoever she's fighting.

I think the general lack of LGBT representation in street fighter as being the real problem. They could have confirmed one of newcomers like Rashid as gay, or a classic character like Karin. they could have even just brought back eagle, I think he's the only gay character in the series.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think about what you just said and try to understand the actual complaint.

She's wearing underwear to a fight.
Young Maddy Myers can be forgiven for the equivalent of calling a turban a towel.
But I would have expected better from adult Maddy Myers, especially so in a piece about representation.