HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I read reviews like "game made foremost for fans of the series" I get instantly discouraged. I just wanted an amazing classic brawler... not something which is dedicated to a niche audience of a niche console of a niche series ... that has too much games to even consider visiting and getting up to date with them.

I hope it still comes on Game Pass (I have not seen them saying anything lately about this) ... but my excitement diminished a lot with the reviews.

That's just developer talk about how they are tried and true when it comes to beat Em ups. I wouldn't worry.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I knew this game was coming out but I gave it no attention, but damn it looks great and I'm glad it's reviewing great. It's great to see a modern Beat-Em-Up, I think the last notable one I call recall was Phantom Breaker.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
When I read reviews like "game made foremost for fans of the series" I get instantly discouraged. I just wanted an amazing classic brawler... not something which is dedicated to a niche audience of a niche console of a niche series ... that has too much games to even consider visiting and getting up to date with them.

I hope it still comes on Game Pass (I have not seen them saying anything lately about this) ... but my excitement diminished a lot with the reviews.

Sounds like you're reading the reviews as Drax the Destroyer :)

It's a side scrolling beat 'em up. There's nothing to get up to date with. When they say fans of the series will love it they just mean that the gameplay etc is what everyone wants it to be and that it captures the original magic.

Like if they said a new 2D Mario captured the magic of Mario World and fans of Mario will love it. You wouldn't need to play all the old Mario's to catch up on the story haha

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Are you under the impression that you need to familiarize yourself with some deep lore or something?

Here's all you need to know:

Old games:
"So there's like this evil crime-lord dude and his goons terrorizing the city, so a plucky group of brawlers take to the streets... OF RAGE and beat the shit out of them with their bare knuckles."

New game:

"So that crime boss' kids are now running the gang and terrorizing the city again, so that plucky group of brawlers, now older, with some of them joined by progeny of their own, take to the streets...OF RAGE and beat the shit out of them with their bare knuckles."

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Dont worry, Streets of Rage is pretty much the classic beat em up. If its made for fans of Streets of Rage, its made for fans of beat em ups.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
There's only three mainline games and you don't need to play any of them prior to 4. It's also the best beat 'em up series ever made. If you like these types of games, you'll love SoR.
You don't really need to check the others out to play SOR4. I mean, you should, but because they're bloody amazing games even to this day.
That's just developer talk about how they are tried and true when it comes to beat Em ups. I wouldn't worry.

Thank you guys. That's what I wanted to read. I have been super hyped about this game since it was announced.

Sounds like you're reading the reviews as Drax the Destroyer :)

It's a side scrolling beat 'em up. There's nothing to get up to date with. When they say fans of the series will love it they just mean that the gameplay etc is what everyone wants it to be and that it captures the original magic.

that's my problem, I always want to understand the "original magic" before playing a game like this. This is why I haven't bought Final Fantasy 7 remake yet .... because I'm finishing the original game again to understand the changes, attention to detail... and the "original magic".

but ... well that's just me. I'm happy to see excitement around this genre.

with this said ....how can I get the trilogy and how much it would take to beat the three games?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got my physical in the mail but it will take 3 months from Limited Run. For now, GamePass it is! Cant wait.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is looking amazing. The retro trailer is what eventually sold me and I ended up ordering a copy from Limited Run Games. I didn't realize they don't ship day 1 though :/

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The downsides I'm reading are exactly what I was hoping the game would be: a simple beat 'em up akin to the ones in the 90's. If it was overly complex I'd quickly have lost interest. I want Streets of Rage, not Combos of Rage. It's that focused simplicity that keeps me coming back and that's something missing in (most) modern games.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Looks like my draft pick is going to be paying off in dividends! Sounds like a worthy sequel that still stays true to the originals which is all I personally wanted.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Damn, such incredibly exciting news to wake up to this. It was my first thought opening my eyes to check the reviews and I didn't imagine them to be this positive.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
720p60/1080p60 on switch ?
one x 4k? Don't see on the official Xbox listing. If not I may play only on switch 😅

'anyway cross play or cross save if we buy both ?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked. I really thought this would end up being an ok game that most would find boring or repetitive. I'll definitely check it out now.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
with this said ....how can I get the trilogy and how much it would take to beat the three games?
I'm pretty sure they're all available in the countless megadrive/genesis collections that are on every system. I have never played the third game but the first two can be beaten in a few hours.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I want Streets of Rage, not Combos of Rage. It's that focused simplicity that keeps me coming back and that's something missing in (most) modern games.
From what i've been seeing in the dev combo videos, there's still alot of combo potential which i'm very much a fan of(as I totally loved streets of fury) as it helps break up the monotony, but at the surface you can still play it traditionally.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Fantastic reviews. Got the Switch LRG version preordered, but planning to go PS4 at launch to play through with a friend.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those scores are amazing.
Streets of Rage was one of the most popular Sega Genesis series in Iran alongside Mortal Kombat. Can't wait for this!

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm a massive fan of SoR1-3, I'm still not super digging the artstyle. Considering everyone yelling about gamepass, I'm gonna check it out on there (and find out what the hell gamepass is).

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku review says "Finished in an hour but played for 15 hours." So this can seriously be beat in one hour in normal mode?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
In this thread I learned Streets of Rage 4 is coming to gamepass...holy shit where the fuck have I been??

Catspit

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of reviewers are saying its really short, yet that nintendolife guy dumped 40hrs into it... thats a good sign.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Here's our review from The Outerhaven. 4/5 - mainly due to some online issues that were observed and some occasion slowdown. We reviewed the PC version. A bit of a longer read, but I like to address everything.

www.theouterhaven.net

Streets of Rage 4 Review – Taking it back to the Streets

The eagerly anticipated follow-up, Streets of Rage 4 manages to recreate the classic brawling feel, yet keeping things fresh and interesting.