Is the PS2 library stronger than DC, Xbox, GC library combined?

• Yes

Votes: 816 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 841 50.8%

• Total voters

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GameCube, Xbox, and Dreamcast combined wins.
At that point the only third party exclusives the PS2 has are The Devil May Cry's, Final Fantasy's, Kingdom Hearts, and MGS 3. A great lineup, but the combined force of the other consoles best it out.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yes, if you'd ask me to pick either PS2 or Xbox+DC+GC and wipe the other from existence I'd probably pick PS2. Just had more games that suit my taste.

I've only had PS2 and DC tho

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I just have to pick the PS2 over the field. It's tough choice though. People saying the GameCube had a better library are crazy lol

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The more replies I read in this thread the more I feel like people don't really know much about the ps2 library, specially in terms of "ps2 doesn't have X". I'll just post some fun comparisons below.

Shenmue
Life sim?: Boku no Natsuyasumi 2 (there is a reason so many of us made such a big deal about "Attack of the Friday Monsters")
Story/Brawler?: Yakuza 2 did this better imo

Gotcha Force
This game is a bit of a fork in an existing Gundam Vs series that started in arcades/dreamcast with Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon. There were 5 games in the series on PS2 in japan, with only 1 making it to the gamecube. The last release on ps2 was Gundam Seed Destiny: Rengou vs. Z.A.F.T. II Plus. Other than a few miss steps in Gundam Vs Extreme on vita, the series got better on each iteration. I'd easily argue Rengou vs. Z.A.F.T. II was better then Gotcha IMO (Gundam Vs Gundam Next even more so but that was PSP for home release and PS2 hw in the arcades). I should mention I'm a bit of a fanatic for this series (I even own the arcade versions of a lot of them).

Sega Arcade Ports
This gets mention a lot but lets look at what arcade games got ports to PS2 (excluding some remakes), there are a few of these that did see Gcn/xbx releases as well but the point was more to show the ps2 did receive a lot of sega arcade ports:

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker, Crazy Taxi, F355 Challenge, Gekitou Pro Yakyuu: Mizushima Shinji Allstars vs Pro Yakyuu, Guilty Gear Isuka, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Guilty Gear XX Reload, Guilty Gear XX Slash, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star, Initial D: Special Stage, OutRun 2 SP, Puyo Pop Fever, Puyo Puyo!, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 10: After Burner II, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 11: Hokuto no Ken, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 12: Puyo Puyo Tsuu Perfect Set, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 13: OutRun, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 15: Decathlete Collection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 16: Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 19: Fighting Vipers, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 20: Space Harrier II ~Space Harrier Complete Collection~, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 21: SDI & Quartet: Sega System 16 Collection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 23: Sega Memorial Selection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 24: Last Bronx -Tokyo Bangaichi-, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 26: Dynamite Deka, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II: Special Extended Edition, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 31: Cyber Troopers Virtual-On, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 6: Ichini no Tant-R to Bonanza Bros., Sega Rally Championship, The King of Route 66, The Rumble Fish, The Typing of the Dead: Zombie Panic, Trizeal, Usagi: Yasei no Touhai: Yamashiro Mahjong Hen, Vampire Night, Virtua Cop: Elite Edition, Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary, Virtua Fighter 4, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, Virtua Tennis 2

How about sequels to a few arcade games:
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On: Marz, Sega Bass Fishing Duel, Sega Rally 2006, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (MB was an arcade game first before the extended game for gcn/ps2)

I think the point i'm trying to establish is that the PS2 library is really really really big and really deep, more so than people might realize going off personal preference or memory.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
The more replies I read in this thread the more I feel like people don't really know much about the ps2 library, specially in terms of "ps2 doesn't have X". I'll just post some fun comparisons below.

Shenmue
Life sim?: Boku no Natsuyasumi 2 (there is a reason so many of us made such a big deal about "Attack of the Friday Monsters")

Gotcha Force
This game is a bit of a fork in an existing Gundam Vs series that started in arcades/dreamcast with Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon. There were 5 games in the series on PS2 in japan, with only 1 making it to the gamecube. The last release on ps2 was Gundam Seed Destiny: Rengou vs. Z.A.F.T. II Plus. Other than a few miss steps in Gundam Vs Extreme on vita, the series got better on each iteration. I'd easily argue Rengou vs. Z.A.F.T. II was better then Gotcha IMO (Gundam Vs Gundam Next even more so but that was PSP for home release and PS2 hw in the arcades). I should mention I'm a bit of a fanatic for this series (I even own the arcade versions of a lot of them).

Sega Arcade Ports
This gets mention a lot but lets look at what arcade games got ports to PS2 (excluding some remakes), there are a few of these that did see Gcn/xbx releases as well but the point was more to show the ps2 did receive a lot of sega arcade ports:

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker, Crazy Taxi, F355 Challenge, Gekitou Pro Yakyuu: Mizushima Shinji Allstars vs Pro Yakyuu, Guilty Gear Isuka, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Guilty Gear XX Reload, Guilty Gear XX Slash, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star, Initial D: Special Stage, OutRun 2 SP, Puyo Pop Fever, Puyo Puyo!, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 10: After Burner II, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 11: Hokuto no Ken, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 12: Puyo Puyo Tsuu Perfect Set, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 13: OutRun, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 15: Decathlete Collection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 16: Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 19: Fighting Vipers, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 20: Space Harrier II ~Space Harrier Complete Collection~, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 21: SDI & Quartet: Sega System 16 Collection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 23: Sega Memorial Selection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 24: Last Bronx -Tokyo Bangaichi-, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 26: Dynamite Deka, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II: Special Extended Edition, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 31: Cyber Troopers Virtual-On, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone, Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 6: Ichini no Tant-R to Bonanza Bros., Sega Rally Championship, The King of Route 66, The Rumble Fish, The Typing of the Dead: Zombie Panic, Trizeal, Usagi: Yasei no Touhai: Yamashiro Mahjong Hen, Vampire Night, Virtua Cop: Elite Edition, Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary, Virtua Fighter 4, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, Virtua Tennis 2

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On: Marz, Sega Bass Fishing Duel, Sega Rally 2006, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (MB was an arcade game first before the extended game for gcn/ps2)

I think the point i'm trying to establish is that the PS2 library is really really really big and really deep, more so than people might realize going off personal preference or memory.

Galaxy Force 2 alone is enough to compete with the best of the other consoles arcade games but hot damn that's an incredible list.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
The PS2 library is definitely amazing, but Morrowind, KOTOR, and Ninja Gaiden are all Xbox games, and they are all in my top 5, so Xbox takes it for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I guess the problem I have with the "The PS2 library is deeper" argument is that I don't literally have infinite time to play games. The Gamecube, Xbox, and DreamCast libraries combined are deep enough to satisfy me for a long time, and I'd take the best 100 or so games on those over the best 100 or so PS2 games.

I think if you told me I could only have 150 games across all four of these consoles, I'd list about 70 PS2 games, 40 Gamecube games, 25 Xbox games, and 15 DreamCast games. So it's close but the three combined definitely win. Additionally the Gamecube has two games in my favorite games of all-time list (three if you count Twilight Princess, which I've only ever played the Wii/Wii U versions of), and the PS2 has one. If you expand that to top 15 the Gamecube/DreamCast have three (four with TP) and the PS2 has two. Gamecube/Xbox/DreamCast also have Melee which I've probably invested like 20 long JRPGs worth of time into and will continue putting time into for the rest of my life.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I guess the problem I have with the "The PS2 library is deeper" argument is that I don't literally have infinite time to play games. The Gamecube, Xbox, and DreamCast libraries combined are deep enough to satisfy me for a long time, and I'd take the best 100 or so games on those over the best 100 or so PS2 games.

I think if you told me I could only have 150 games across all four of these consoles, I'd list about 70 PS2 games, 40 Gamecube games, 25 Xbox games, and 15 DreamCast games. So it's close but the three combined definitely win. Additionally the Gamecube has two games in my favorite games of all-time list (three if you count Twilight Princess, which I've only ever played the Wii/Wii U versions of), and the PS2 has one. If you expand that to top 15 the Gamecube/DreamCast have three (four with TP) and the PS2 has two. Gamecube/Xbox/DreamCast also have Melee which I've probably invested like 20 long JRPGs worth of time into and will continue putting time into for the rest of my life.

The problem is the GameCube and Xbox do not have 100 exclusive games worth playing. The PS2 has probably over 500 easily.

And why the hell is anyone trying to use Gotcha Force as a plus for the GC? That game is terrible lmao. It's also grossly overpriced and no one's going to play it legit.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
GameCube's fall 2001 contained Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. All within a month of launch. It's just as impressive imo when you consider that.

Also, GT 3 released months earlier, in the spring/summer.

It really isn't nearly as impressive, come on.

And yes, the PS2 has a stronger library than those 3 consoles combined, it's a no brainer.

The thing is, a lot of amazing PS2 games have become a part of the general gaming discourse that people forget that they were exclusives. So they don't really tie them to that specific console. This isn't the case with those other three consoles that had smaller, niche libraries that people associate with them immediately.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you counting soul caliber as an exclusive? (Every console got a release).

The first? The one that matters to me? It's weird that you fixated on one game in my post. RE4 has released on every fucking system in the world, too, but I'd tie it to GameCube.

But please, omit it from my post and the point still stands. I didn't bother listing other exclusives because it's irrelevant. The PS2's library is still missing iconic games from that era. Unless you're not going to count Halo 2 because it's in the MCC, lol. Or maybe Prime since the trilogy was released on Wii!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The problem is the GameCube and Xbox do not have 100 exclusive games worth playing. The PS2 has probably over 500 easily.

And why the hell is anyone trying to use Gotcha Force as a plus for the GC? That game is terrible lmao. It's also grossly overpriced and no one's going to play it legit.

For the sake of lists I'll list 100 games on them combined that I would want to play at least:
Animal Crossing
Battalion Wars
Baten Katios: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Baten Kaitos Origins
Beyond Good & Evil
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Blinx 2: Time and Space
Breakdown
Burnout
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Burnout 3: Takedown
Burnout Revenge
Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO (With online support on Xbox back in the day)
Chibi-Robo
Conker: Live and Reloaded
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Dance Dance Revolution: Ultramix 3
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Destroy All Humans!
Destroy All Humans! 2
Donkey Konga
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Eternal Darkness: Sandy's Requiem
F-Zero GX
Fable
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Guilty Gear X2: #Reload
Gotcha Force
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Homeland
Ikaruga
Jet Set Radio Future
Killer7
Kirby Air Ride
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Luigi's Mansion
Magatama
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Superstar Baseball
Ninja Gaiden Black
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Eternal Warriors
Outrun 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door
Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1&II
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Pokemon Channel
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 4
Shadow the Hedgehog (make fun of me whatever but I played the shit out of this game in local MP)
Shenmue 2
Simpsons: Hit and Run
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Riders
Soul Calibur II
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Super Mario Strikers
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
TimeSplitters 2
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Landari Conflict
Viewtiful Joe
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Micro Game$
Wario World
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II

I included multiplats because I vastly prefer both the Gamecube and Xbox S controller over the Dualshock 2 and also prefer them in terms of hardware as well. I realize I could technically play these games on the PS2 but if I'm choosing between consoles I might as well choose the ones with controllers I actually like. I also realize there are quite a few games people would probably call stinkers on here; the Star Fox games, the Blinx games, etc. But I'm a weird dude with weird tastes and I'd genuinely want to play those today. I left out Metroid Prime and KotOR because I have no interest in playing those games, since I don't like immersive semi-open first person action games or WRPGs. For this reason there are also swaths of the PS2 library that hold no appeal to me (I'm never going to play MGS2 and MGS3 and I have zero interest in ever doing so). I also left out collections like Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (which again, had 3S Online support on Xbox) because I never feel right in including those in console libraries for some reason, Sonic 2 will always be a Genesis game to me.

Come at me Era.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
PS2 does beat all those combined no question. The sheer amount of great games on that thing is still unmatched to this day.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
Yes, GC and Xbox library will be surpassed in future gens (or maybe it already has?) while nothing is touching the PS2 library. The sheer volume of AAA and AA games is simply unmatched.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the problem I have with the "The PS2 library is deeper" argument is that I don't literally have infinite time to play games.
You do know that argument does not mean that you play every game, right? It just means that there is literally something for everyone in there and in their mind the PS2 has more to offer.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Mister_Mosquito_Coverart.png

WOTM.jpg

Bouncerbox.jpg

220px-Downhill_Domination_Coverart.png

220px-Armored_Core_3.jpg

Im sure y'all named all of the obvious exclusives already, so I'll just chuck in a few more obscure ones. Great thread idea btw.

Honestly, the ps2's library was fucking disgusting. The sheer variety and output from devs on this motherfucker was really unprecedented at the time. From socom to twisted metal. Like... it had fucking EVERYTHING. It had enough games for 5 consoles. It can easily beat those 3.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I owned all 4 and the Trio easily beats the PS2 for me. When I list my favorite games from that gen many of them are on Xbox, GC and Dreamcast.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Im sure y'all named all of the obvious exclusives already, so I'll just chuck in a few more obscure ones. Great thread idea btw.

Honestly, the ps2's library was fucking disgusting. The sheer variety and output from devs on this motherfucker was really unprecedented at the time. From socom to twisted metal. Like... it had fucking EVERYTHING. It had enough games for 5 consoles. It can easily beat those 3.
Much love for listing Downhill Domination and War of the monsters

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Like most internet discussions I think we've established that which was already known lol. In this case, it's that 6th gen is best gen.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shenmue

Gotcha Force

Sega Arcade Ports

Shenmue is so much its own thing that I don't think it has comparable games on PS2.

But yeah, PS2 wins the compilation contest that gen. I tend to not factor in re-releases of stuff from multiple generations earlier in these discussions, though, unless they have enough new content. It gets very difficult to compare libraries when including all the old games that resurface.

DuperGoon

Jan 29, 2018
Huge SEGA fan, I love the Dreamcast. Favorite console. The PlayStation 2 library is just freaking massive and a lot of stuff never left the console. Its a bit sad really because I think the PS2 had the worse picture quality out of all the consoles in that era, having this weird, nasty look to all its games.

Personally don't think its worth discussing "THIS VS THIS" in a sense of absolutes, but instead of discussing what console did what better than others. For example, if we are just talking about playing JRPGs, never a contest there. PS2 wins. Too many.

Now if we are talking about platformers, Gamecube is pretty good with it. PS2 isn't a slouch but it does have competition. Espeically if you add Dreamcast, Xbox to the mix.

What if the user likes shoot'em ups? Arcade ports? Definitive ports of the era?

What if someone was into arcade fighting games, wouldn't someone be able to make a solid point that Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox could take it?

I think the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox all have their draws and drawbacks and putting them all in a pile is a bit weird.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
PS2 had the best library, but not better than all of them combined.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
The PS2 doesn't beat them all together, but it comes close, and that says a LOT about the PS2.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I prefer GameCube over PS2, so this is easy for me. My favourite games of the gen were exclusives for GameCube (Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Pikmin 1 & 2, F Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2) and my favourite PS2 exclusive, Jak & Daxter, is lower on my list than a lot of multiplatform games.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I prefer GameCube over PS2, so this is easy for me. My favourite games of the gen were exclusives for GameCube (Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Pikmin 1 & 2, F Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2) and my favourite PS2 exclusive, Jak & Daxter, is lower on my list than a lot of multiplatform games.
Banjo would never pick GameCube over Xbox. Kazooie has always been the mischievous one.