• SNES FF Trilogy (IV-V-VI)

Votes: 373 36.6%
  • PS1 FF Trilogy (VII-VIII-IX)

Votes: 647 63.4%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Playing through FFV right now thanks to the pixel remaster, it's so much fun but it's so overlooked. I definitely think I prefer the SNES trilogy over the PS1 trilogy, love VII but the other two aren't as good as IV or V or VI imo.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
PSX for sure. VI is my favorite though VII and IX are personally stronger than IV and V. Still need to play V.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
PS1, easily. It was the company's golden era. They were cranking out multiple JRPG masterpieces every year on that platform.

FF6 is an all-time great as well, but as a trilogy on SNES it can't collectively hold a candle to their sweeping 32-bit epics.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
My ranking would be

VI
VII
VIII/IX
V
IV

I think overall the sheer ambition and overall package of the PS1 games tilts it in their favor for me despite VI being probably my favorite FF game ever.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IV is the weakest out of those six games so ps1 trilogy no questions asked

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
VII carries the PSX trilogy by itself, I've never heard anything mainstream mention VIII or IX. Heck, I remember enthusiasts on GameFAQs actively disliking them when they released. VII is the only one that seemed to carry any cultural critical success.

I think the SNES trilogy gets overall more mention today than VIII or IX, but VII may still beat everything by itself.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
This shouldn't even really be close. I love FF6, second favorite FF is FF6, but the PS1 trilogy is superior.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I mean as a trilogy? SNES for sure. If FF7 has to carry the others then it pretty much answers the question. I like 6 but not as much as 7. 4 and 5 are my top 2 though.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
SNES for me, they were all solid and VI was exceptional.

I really only liked VII from the PS1 entries.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Played them all during their respective original launch. With that said, SNES trilogy, easily.

Final Fantasy 7 was easily the best of the PS1 trilogy and could go toe to toe with any of the SNES Final Fantasies.
Final Fantasy 8 was a mess story wise, it fell apart for me in the 2nd half and I disliked the draw/junction system.
Final Fantasy 9 fell apart near the end of the 1st disk and continued so during the 2nd disk.

The PS1 trilogy were also bloated messes and each release subsequently got worse.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
SNES gets my vote. I learned to appreciate/tolerate 8 when I replayed it years later, but I still find it to be a slog (same with 9, even though I still like it), and the much more cinematic focus of the PS1 games means you're waiting a while for things to animate/play out. The SNES games are just so efficient. I also think 4 and 6 have the best OSTs, along with 8. Ahead on Our Way from 5 is one of my all-time favorite intro songs too. There's a melancholy yet hopeful sound in its chorus; similar to how I feel about Mega Man 3's title track.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
SNES trilogy. I have a soft spot for IV, and VI is probably my favorite overall.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I'd take VII over any of them. I'd take IX over the rest. Third comes VI. I'd rank IV and V over VIII.

I'll take the ps1 games.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
FF4 and FF6 have superior stories to FF8 and FF9, but the PS1 generation brought Final Fantasy to the masses. PS1.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
SNES trilogy, because it has V, which is the best and most enduring Final Fantasy game.

IV was revolutionary, but VI is (slightly) overrated. PSX trilogy is a very close second, though -- VIII is fantastic, and both VII and IX are solid.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII, objectively the only good one on a PlayStation system, alone against the world.

It puts up a brave fight but can't make it.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly close I think. They're all great.

FF5 and 6 (6 is the best game) probably push it to the SNES trilogy for me but on a different day I could say the PS1 trilogy.

No complaints either side.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Tough call

Although I grew up with IV/V/VI - my vote goes for VII/VIII/IX despite playing it a generation or two after they originally came out. The games are much more remarkable - with VII and IX being two of my most favorites.

IV and VI as well

V and VIII are both of my least favorite of the games in each trilogy.

I vote for VII/VIII/IX (even though I played IV and VI individually at least 10 times over).

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Results are very surprising to me!

I voted SNES. Always liked the snappier gameplay better and in 2021 this is even more obvious. Psx games are still grade A

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
SNES for sure.

4 and 7 are both super overrated (though probably justified at the time) just because of what they were doing on the new systems. Both were surpassed very quickly. 8 sucks. 5, 6, and 9 are amazing games throughout.

Yeah, SNES has the advantage for easily.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
6 is one of my favs, no doubt. But I remember playing FF7 when it first released on PSone. My young mind was blown lol. PSone era for sure.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VI is my favorite, followed by VII and IX. I guess PSone technically wins, but that still sounds wrong to me for some reason.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like FFIX much and FFVIII is the second worst in the series (that I've played), so it's pretty easily the SNES games.

AranPrime

Banned
Sep 25, 2021
You're expecting a lot of people on this forum to have played FF5, which sadly ain't the case.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Hard choice, 5/6 and 7/9 are great but 4/8 are just fucking boring. 6 and 9 are my favorites but ultimately I think I'll give it to PS1

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with PS1 just because FFVII is a watershed moment.

FFIV, V, and VI is such a strong trilogy of games.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
1. VI. (6pts)
2. VII. (5pts)
3. IX. (4pts)
4. V. (3pts)
5. IV. (2pts)
6. VIII. (1pt)

SNES: 11 points
PSX: 10 points

It is what it is. Also, man, out of all of them, the only one I actively dislike is VIII.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
I'm really loving the comments about FFVI to me its my favourite final fantasy of all time and actually think its better than 7 and I love 7 but VI man 6 just hit different if square ever did an HD-2D remake to that....