signal

Oct 28, 2017
CTV
Listening to the same songs over and over rather than seeking out new tunes? You have plenty of company -- if you're 28 or over.

A survey by streaming service Deezer found that the average person reaches "musical paralysis" -- when she or he primarily listens to familiar tracks and does not seek out new genres -- at the age of 27 years and 11 months. Musical discovery peaks nearly three years earlier, with 25-year-olds on average listening to at least 10 new songs per week.
Deezer surveyed 5,000 adults online across Brazil, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Brazilians reached musical paralysis the earliest, at 23 years and two months, while Germans stayed curious the longest, hitting paralysis at 31 years old. A majority across the five countries said they wished they could encounter more new music.

Is this true for you? It's been the opposite for me at the moment. 31 now and new music consumption has gone up each year for the past few years. God bless nts radio.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm not average then. I search on things like Suicide Sheep for new artists every so often.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming music is a gamechanger for me. New music every single morning. :)

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So young. I thought last time I read a study on this several years ago the average age was over 30.

Anyway, I'm 32 and still actively look for new music in most genres.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't expanded my taste in genre or the continued evolution of genres I already like in years, but I'm always on the look out for things in styles similar to ones I already like.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Not true here. I'm almost 44 and I'm constantly digging for good music and going to live shows. I will say that actually finding something that appeals to me is getting fewer and far between. I attribute that as mostly an age thing, though.

Oct 28, 2017
Pop GAF May as well be speaking Greek because I understand nothing they say. Just that they sound funny saying it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been finding new music less and less, but that's because I've been finding music distracting to my day-work.

I do push myself to find new artists, but I don't do it compulsively like I used to.

edit: I just realized my biggest genre gain has been hip-hop. I "learned" how to appreciate it from 2007 and it suddenly clicked in maybe 2010 or so. I get major waves of hip-hop consumption.

Last edited:

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm 36 and was actively finding new stuff till probably 3 years ago. I still like listening to new stuff on satellite and will buy new songs I come across but the hardcore new consumption thing I haven't done in a while.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything I feel like thanks to Spotify I have listened to more new music and discovered more new acts from different genres I have put in my rotation since turning 28.

But I did also kind of stop looking for new music for a long while prior to that so maybe I was just thirsty for something new and Ill stop in a few months.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems about right, I don't listen to the radio much anymore and won't look far beyond recommend artists on Spotify related to stuff I already have.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I'm 27 and I couldn't imagine. The shift to rap keeps me on my toes and I'm interested in seeing how it will continue to grow.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I'm 24 and I've already petered out :(

I use to spend hours hunting down new music now I'm just like "alright if enough of my friends listen to it I'll check it out."

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I'm in my 40s and still have the habit of chasing down entire discographies that I haven't heard (especially now we have Spotify etc)... but while it's "new to me" I probably don't listen to much recorded after the early-mid 2000s, unless it's new music from an older artist. So this is kinda correct for me?

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
33 and keep Shazam handy,if I hear something I like I pop up my phone and add it to my playlist.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
gonna be 31 this year...and yeah...

but I started back up again this year after a 3 year slump...and my music collection has already grown by at least 40 new albums.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Pop GAF May as well be speaking Greek because I understand nothing they say. Just that they sound funny saying it.

Pop I feel is a generational thing I believe. Although, pop when I grew up had the like of Micheal Jackson. So without sounding snobbish, I guess I hold my standards pretty high when it comes to that genre. I can't hardly listen to it any more. Let me add that if you do enjoy it, more power to you. I will only make fun of your musical taste if you listen to Nickelback or Imagine Dragons.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is generic and broad and hard to really know what it means beyond people like nostalgic things after a certain age. Im mid 30s and i listen to new music all the time, but i have to discover it either through some new movie or chance occurrence recommendation. But im open to new music. There isnt a clear definition of what "seeking new music" means. I never really "sought" music as some random thing. It was always through association or recommendation.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I actually have been pretty stagnant since 16. I've kind of lost interest in learning about music, I used to watch documentaries and read about it but I don't much anymore.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
26 and I'm already pretty much there lol. I find myself constantly rotating between music I already know and love rather than trying to find new things.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was about 10 years before that when I would hear what the kids in my school listened to, and that was in the mid 2000s which was amazing compared to now. The 2000s have not been kind to our ears.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 33 and music has become a MUCH bigger part of my life in recent years. I've gone from "someone who really likes music" to someone who spend hours looking up interviews and youtube footage for my favorite musicians multiple times a week. My taste has shifted and expanded drastically too. I'm listening to more artists from more countries, and across more decades and genres. I'm getting into more niche genres and finding a lot to love in very obscure artists. It's all really exciting honestly, I feel like I have a deeper relationship to the art and artists, and it makes me want to create too.

I gotta say though that I don't really do adulthood like most people seem to think they should. I'm a gender non-binary non-monogamous anarcho-communist (lmaoooooo it's funny to list it out) and I don't often mind myself in the median on much. You know now that I think about it my relationship to music getting deeper really corresponds with me getting into art more myself. hmm cool thanks for making me think Era, lol

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right.

I still listen to new bands, but I just don't have time like in college to explore hundreds of new artists.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously at 28 I've just started trying to get back into seeking out new music after about seven years of not listening to new releases except from bands I already like.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Just turned 30 and I'm hungrier than ever for new music.

I honestly can't imagine myself with a state of mind that's not constantly curious for new and interesting musical artists that I haven't heard of before.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped after I got out of college, although in the past two years or so I got sucked into vaporwave, city pop, and K-Pop.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 37 and I've never sought any music at all. I like the sound of silence. Maybe I'll buck the odds! Any music recs for a silence-lover?

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 28 and I don't seem out music like I used to. But streaming has opened me up to searching every so often. My taste in music has changed significantly since I was 25 too.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much fits for me. I still enjoy new music, but don't actively seek it out.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
pretty true for me. i've discovered new artist but they kinda fell on my lap thanks to exposure from other sources like youtube videos or movies.