• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Samurai_Champloo_-_Sidetracked_Coverart.png

Developed by Suda51 & Grasshopper Interactive, published by Bamco. Released in the west! There's not much to say other than its fucking awesome and you should play it. It's weird, stylish and OOZING with the Suda & Grasshopper charm we all know and love. Combos are guided by a "rhythm track" on top of the screen. Successfully following the rhythm track allows you to build up your tension gauge and activate Hyper Mode, counterattacks, parries, mini-games and QTE's keep combat fresh with some shops (weapons, food, rhythm tracks) along the way. Four playable characters are available for extra replay value. In many ways this game can be considered as the spiritual predecessor to the NO MORE HEROES series.

There's way too many loading screens, and the OST is very limited because BGM is tied to the rhythm track you have equipped. Some people may find the game too easy due to the linear corridors and basic combat. If you've played NMH you'll feel right at home. I'm not sure how faithful or not it is to the source material.

Is anyone familiar with SAMURAI CHAMPLOO: SIDETRACKED (2006)? Critics didn't do this game justice at all!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Loved this game.

Takada composed a few remixes based on tracks for this game and released it as part of "Samurai Champloo Rhythm Tracks". It's the rarest Samurai Champloo CD in existence as it was only given away as a promo. Sucks as I can't even find an album stream of it anywhere.

23652_160474.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Needs a rerelease.

The PS2 has so many gems that I want to replay. Hopefully the backwards compability rumors are true when PS5 comes so I can replay everything.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Got this for $5 at a Half Price Books years ago and thought it was awesome

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Needs a rerelease.

The PS2 has so many gems that I want to replay. Hopefully the backwards compability rumors are true when PS5 comes so I can replay everything.

If it is, I hope it's not region locked. Especially since I own a lot of US titles (like this one) and don't want to buy two PS5 systems. XD

That said, loved this game on PS2, it's a shame Jun Seba passed away. Loved his style.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
FFS, the PS2 got so many games I keep learning about new ones to this day D:

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I just tried this last month. The game has a ton of interesting and unique things going for it. I particularly really dug how the combo maps were tied to their own songs. It was also interesting seeing Killer7 font and nod with the reference to Heaven Smiles. And yeah, the visual style was awesome, it looks stunning when you cut enemies down.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I miss the PS2-era where there could just be a ton of 3D games for whatever reasoon and still turn out unique. You'd be hard-pressed for someone to say make a One Punch Man game on consoles just off the cuff of its popularity.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this weird game. I remember some dude named Woolie saying something about a 3'rd dude never being able to work, but then again he's never seen Worso Tsurumaki.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I had no idea a video game existed. A few years ago I watched the show and aside of the music, I forgot to search for any related product. Now I'd really like to try this.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I knew of this game--ads in gaming magazines back in the day--but I had no clue Suda51 had anything to do with it. Awesome.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Suda51 and Grasshopper made this? I never realized that, and I loved it on release. Dope game with great tracks and an amazingly fun combat system. Too bad it was so short.