Jobiensis

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of love it. Was wondering why this was labeled
sci fi

It does meander but there is some charm to it. But I'm not too picky.

Cbrun44

In general, I am enjoying the show. I knew the twist was coming but coming 6 episodes in as well as being ridiculously presented kind of drags it all down. Even with seeing the reveal coming, it was a cringeworthy moment and incredibly unfortunate.

Still going to finish it though…

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Uuhuhhh…Ok, well I admit that I did not see that coming. Something in the vein, but not that.

All I can say is that I'm curious as hell where they're taking this story.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup that was unfortunately the kind of twist that I was expecting. I'm still in especially since I could watch Farrell watch paint dry but I would have been more than happy with the crime noir vibe.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Even being almost 100% sure that they were aliens, the reveal was very well done

So far so good, really liking everything about this show

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
www.indiewire.com

That ‘Sugar’ Twist: Colin Farrell and Team Explain His Character’s Big Episode 6 Reveal

Farrell, Showrunner Mark Protosevich, director Fernando Mierelles break down the big surprising reveal about private investigator John Sugar.

They originally planned to have the twist in the first episode, and only later moved it to the end. I think they should have kept it at the beginning. This is an amazing concept for a TV show, but now we only have two episodes left to explore it, after spending six episodes hinting at it. At least they didn't move it to the finale.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
I do wonder if the turn would go down smoother if it happened earlier. Having it this late sucks the oxygen out of the room. How am I supposed to focus on the case now? I felt it coming during the episode with his "mom." Their relationship seemed perfunctory. Before that I thought time travelers or spies, but something about that episode tipped me towards aliens.

I'm not super bothered by the turn since I was prepped. But like I said before, I'd probably like the stripped down version of the show more. When they started setting up his weird secret group and mysterious ailments, I said "Uh oh."

Although it is kinda wild that DC probably wouldn't be able to get a Martian Manhunter solo series or movie off the ground right now but here we have Colin Farrell as an alien private detective lol

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've been watching this not knowing there was to be a twist.
A few episodes ago it was mentioned that
we are just here to observe these people
And jokingly told myself
they were aliens
That got me thinking it would be cool to have a TV series that suddenly changed it's genre.
And here we are.
I'll love it!

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't see it coming. Not sure I like having the genre flipped on me. Now I kinda don't care what happens here on out.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this without knowing anything from the show, I saw it was number 1 in the most watched on my AppleTV, man this show is good, up to episode 4 so far, love the noir take with a modern setting, 2 episodes to catch-up and now internet is telling me there is a huge twist on episode 6, hopefully I don't get spoiled until I have time to catch up, sometime this week.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I was sure he was a robot or something, but damn. Definitely makes me rethink the pst episodes a bit—his fascination with movies, his ability to take hits and keep on going, the generally benevolent spirit, the secret society, the journals, very cool. I do agree that the reveal could have come sooner but I don't mind it.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering if this was where it was going, but I thought it might be too out there. Love it.

Shurs

Mar 21, 2022
Vulture spoiled the twist with not only a headline, but a picture on their front page. The comment section is heated.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just read about the thing and, well... that's something. lol

www.indiewire.com

That ‘Sugar’ Twist: Colin Farrell and Team Explain His Character’s Big Episode 6 Reveal

Farrell, Showrunner Mark Protosevich, director Fernando Mierelles break down the big surprising reveal about private investigator John Sugar.

They originally planned to have the twist in the first episode, and only later moved it to the end. I think they should have kept it at the beginning. This is an amazing concept for a TV show, but now we only have two episodes left to explore it, after spending six episodes hinting at it. At least they didn't move it to the finale.
This was Sepinwall's criticism of the show where he quoted that "surf Dracula" thing where TV shows have to backload their twist and then spend all their running time getting there.

www.rollingstone.com

'Sugar' Gives You a Sweetly Hardboiled Colin Farrell and One Sour WTF Twist

The Oscar-nominated actor plays an old-fashioned private detective chasing down a missing woman in L.A. — until an 'Oh noir, you didn't!' left turn spoils everything.

It's weird because in a different time it might have been an interesting slow burn twist, but now it just makes people feel like they've wasted their time.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like most of the non-press who have criticized the twist haven't watched the show, or haven't watched the show closely. To say this show is just a "hard-boiled detective noir" is to either be willfully ignorant or is the product of people surfing Instagram rather than paying attention. Stuff is off about the show from the very first scene of the first episode (the whole first episode has almost a "sound stage" / amateurish vibe; it was directed by Fernando Meirelles who is anything but). Things are constantly seeded throughout; Sugar's empathy, how he abhors violence but what he can do when left with no choice, how he constantly references old movies, how he seemingly never sleeps, his weird way with animals, the strange drug he takes (they hint it's heroin but it certainly doesn't look like it nor does he act like an addict), the weird party he's invited to via a card with a symbol featuring a cabal of beautiful people who all go upstairs to be "interrogated," etc. Beyond that, camera angles, shot choices, composition, color, and so much more serve to telegraph that "all is not what you're seeing" here. It doesn't come right out and say what the twist is until episode 6, but you'd have to be dense to not think something big was going on just under the surface. Whether that twist was effective or not is up for debate, but it does not come out of nowhere. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop from the first episode.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
My wife, whose brain rejects sci-fi and fantasy the minute it shows on screen was enjoying the show until THAT happened, She saw that and nope'd, but She was enjoying the show up until that point, She has an aversion to fantasy, Sci-fi, superheroes and all that stuff, it just doesn't click with her, lol.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
absolutely love this show. brilliant. didn't know anything about any twists before going in. farrell plays

cool detective as played by an alien who learned what it means by watching old movies
perfectly

sad that it doesnt hit for many it seems

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I think this show is fascinating. It is too bad so many potential newcomers will be spoiled before even watching it.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
The plot reveal in Ep 7 about why they want to shut down Sugar's investigation is even more ridiculous than the big (very telegraphed) twist in Ep 6.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The fun thing is I didn't really get the twist in episode 6
I thought he was tripping or having some other wild hallucinations because he's such a movie nerd.
However I still thought something was off from episode 1

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
My wife, whose brain rejects sci-fi and fantasy the minute it shows on screen was enjoying the show until THAT happened, She saw that and nope'd, but She was enjoying the show up until that point, She has an aversion to fantasy, Sci-fi, superheroes and all that stuff, it just doesn't click with her, lol.

Haha! Such an interesting reaction. If she enjoyed it up to that point, then who cares what genre the material is.
My wife isn't As bad as that, but up until that happened, she'd roll her eyes when my theories got more outlandish
time traveler, spy, alien, and I think since the camera kept showing the moon over and over again, and he was good with dogs, I even suggested werewolf.so once his alien face was revealed
She had a pretty strong "what the hell" reaction of shock while I clapped, laughed, and pointed. She says she still wants to keep watching it 🤷‍♂️

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My wife: This is the most you show ever.

Yeah. I love it. I kind of expected it but it was fantastic that it went there. Hope there's more seasons because the setup so far seems like perfect to continue, unless it all gets cleaned up fast at the end.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
My wife: This is the most you show ever.

Yeah. I love it. I kind of expected it but it was fantastic that it went there. Hope there's more seasons because the setup so far seems like perfect to continue, unless it all gets cleaned up fast at the end.
It's a very male power fantasy show, cool as hell PI with great hair who's a movie buff, travels the world and is fluent in probably all languages and has a beautiful car, and then, and then you add THAT on top of that.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's a very male power fantasy show, cool as hell PI with great hair who's a movie buff, travels the world and is fluent in probably all languages and has a beautiful car, and then, and then you add THAT on top of that.

Ha, yeah. I grew up on Marlowe Noir stuff and also the other stuff its now stepping into, so I find it fun. I'm a sucker for voice over noir. It's not perfect but it's fun.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of the twist the writing does take a significant nosedive.

Sugar: *I should tell her*
Melanie: "I know! You're an international Spy!"

ET phone home. Time's up!

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the twist the writing does take a significant nosedive.

Sugar: *I should tell her*
Melanie: "I know! You're an international Spy!"

ET phone home. Time's up!
It does, like someone already said the excuse to shut down Sugar's investigation is idiotic as hell, and as a fan of Sci-fi I think THAT twist ended up hurting the show more than helping it, Him working for an international organization/network of spies would have been better.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Finale is up. I actually thought they stuck the landing after not really vibing with Episodes 6 and 7. It's still incredibly gonzo but it melded the two halves of this show in a way that left me satisfied.

I'd watch another season of Sugar solving another quintessentially L.A. mystery...and chasing an alien serial killer on the side.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished it. I liked it. I thought the twist just added a little something different. I hope there's a second season, and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed Colin Farrell.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
This whole first season really kind of feels like the setup for a future series. After it finished I couldn't shake the feeling that if this had been made back in the old broadcast era this entire first season would have been a two hour special premier episode with it then being recapped over the intro each week like The Fugitive, original Quantum Leap or 70s The Incredible Hulk.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I hope this show gets renewed asap. The budget doesn't seem that outlandish. Such a good set up and reminds me of great shows of the 90s.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
what an odd, odd show lol

i enjoyed the finale, this is definitely more an "ideas" show that isn't really interested in any real details. Reminds me a bit of The Man From Earth or the 70s Bowie movie but with a weird fixation on old Hollywood.

I'm glad I watched it, it definitely feels like a capstone to the end of the current streaming era where anything with a star is greenlit. I would really be shocked if season 2 is greenlit though. Yeah, its a bit of a cliffhanger but not really, its more a setup for a second season and really there is enough there that you can explain everything away yourself with minimal effort.

Henry, The other alien, killed Djen maybe even before Earth. No way she is alive this long. He's always been a sociopath ("Vulcan Dahmer" on reddit lol) and Earth just made him way, way worse. While they can sorta deflect a few bullets they aren't that superhuman (guy gets easily killed by female cop, sugar is stabbed and needs help to heal), so 2 aliens vs a secret cabal government organization will not last long. They will be caught and experimented on, the end.

The show isn't really interested in being x-files or a Sci fi show. Won't the one that got killed eventually be examined and found different? Does the drug they inject themselves with revert them back to alien form, OR do they need to take the drug to "keep" their human form? The show isn't really interested in answering these questions, it really just wanted to explore the simple idea "What if a peaceful alien species came to observe Earth to avoid becoming self-destructive like us and wouldn't it be cool if one of them loved old Hollywood movies as a way to connect with our humanity?"

In my own season 2, rednecks discovers the aliens and their portal device, invades their planet, and just starts hunting them for sport. Thats what you get for trying to observe us, buddy. Sometimes when you look into the abyss... something looks back.

Last edited:

OlaStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Hope it gets a season 2 but if it doesn't season 1 ended well enough.

This coincided with me getting my cinema pass again and falling in love with the cinema so it hit perfectly to me

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
I was worried after the initial reviews that the ending was going to suck but really liked everything from s1 even the late reveal

I dont think too much people watched this so I doubt a season 2 is coming but thats allright

If it comes, great if it doesnt, season 1 was good enough on its own

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, would happily watch a S2, but won't be too sad if it never happens. TBH I'd watch Farrell watching paint dry. Dude is such a charismatic presence.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
My wife has an aversion to anything nerdy but she was able to tough it out.

We both enjoyed the show and hope there is a season 2!

My favorite parts were just all the old time movies laced into all the scenes. Never seen anything like it before.

It's currently number one on apple, I think people just hate going week to week and just wait for the whole show to come out.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I agree they sticked the landing even though the episodes leading up to the final were a bit iffy for me. I'm not a sure a season 2 will work as well as this season. I'm afraid the tone and delivery would have to change entirely since it wouldn't be a noir mystery any longer. Either way, 2 pages on Era is a poor showing for this kind of show. I'll be shocked if there's a season 2.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sugar and his friends are part of an Alien race that comes to Earth to 'observe'. Currently, in its 6th episode, it's not explained why they're coming in to make observations just yet.
I don´t mind being spoiled so I read your post but....

isn´t it kind of dumb?
I watched the first episode before and thought "cool, a noir/detective story with an unreliable narrator". I thought Sugar was allucinating/imagining most of the things, specially with the B&W scenes and small inserts from movies. Kind of psycologic story. Aliens? Really? Does the twist provide an interesting development? Should I continue to watch it? (I love sci-fi but this seems... off)